• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Instro

So I got to the abbey today, where can you find lava lumps? Looked around the island for them but havent seen any yet, Ill just head to the trade tower for now I guess. Are there any metal slimes in there btw?

Kuraine

Neo Member
Instro said:
So I got to the abbey today, where can you find lava lumps? Looked around the island for them but havent seen any yet, Ill just head to the trade tower for now I guess. Are there any metal slimes in there btw?

In the lower-right corner of the island the Abbey is on, there is a bit of a reddish indent in the mountain wall where lava lumps are located on the ground.

That's from memory anyways, so correct me if I'm remembering wrong~

ryan-ts

Freyjadour said:
There goes challenge for a while :(

I'll probably be spending many an hour there.

Well the trick in the video wasn't working but all I had to do was sit right at the bottom of the stairs that goes up (literally right beside the stairs going down you see in the vid), just hit the x button and wait for a bubble slime to appear.

Link Man

Banned
Kuraine said:
In the lower-right corner of the island the Abbey is on, there is a bit of a reddish indent in the mountain wall where lava lumps are located on the ground.

Upper-left corner. The lower-right corner holds iron ore.

Or NW lava lump, SE iron ore (and S royal soil), to be more clear.

Salsa

You know what i dont like ? the fact that important stuff of the story progression (getting to the point where you can change classes, the alchemy pot, etc) makes itself available only for the host player. I know it makes total sense but there`s been 3 times already when my friend had to leave my "world" to go through the same quest, same monsters, same everything in single player to get what he already got in my game. After he does that he can use the alchemy pot and change classes just fine in my game. Oh well.

JKTrix

You mean... I don't have to run around in circles to get a Metal spawn in an area where I know there are Metal spawns?

Otherwise I was pretty disappointed in the 'ocean' music too. I liked when 8 used 3's flight music, but this just feels different.

kai3345 said:
Ugh, yeah, whoever said the game slowed down with 4 party members was right. That got really annoying when walking around town.
Yeah. So it's not just me then.

I guess it's expected when there's too many things happening on the screen, especially with a game with this much stuff in it.

Forkball

Is it wrong that I took all the items from the default party members they gave me and then erased them from existence?

And for people complaining about the tag mode, it's just something that's not going to work in America. It works well in Japan since the larger cities are rather dense so you could just wander around a crowded subway station and maybe get a hit. But no one in the states will have DQ running at the mall or something.

Aeana

It also works in Japan because the game sold a kathrillion copies. I will be totally shocked if it cracks 150k here.

Forkball said:
Is it wrong that I took all the items from the default party members they gave me and then erased them from existence?

Nah its fine. Besides for some reason the pre-gens have an item or two that other gens don't (particularly, I noticed the priest had a hat while the priest I made on my own didn't?)

ryan-ts

For people who have beaten the game
a celestrian mentioned a secret area where I can get items in the observatory, do you know where it is?

bluemax

Banned
Kuraine said:

Those are Iron Ore, Lava Lumps are on the Western Side of the island:

http://ih.gyoruspy.com/SA/dq9_materials_e.jpg

I've acquired like 4 so far. They're by far the slowest spawning item in the game.

BooJoh

Here's my party as of now. I just got to Bloomingdale.

dq9team-715.jpg

Crappy webcam pics ftl.

Forkball

Ok I just created my party. I'm a minstral, and I created a martial artist, mage, and priest. I want to change my character's class to a warrior ASAP. When can I do this? I'm at the Wight Knight part of the game.

rush777

So what did you guys choose between a Theif and Ranger?? I've been leveling swords with my theif and I love everything about it except the damage I'm doing.

Also is it worth going whips with my mage who will be going to sage when available? I just don't have many useful spells and with all of the grinding I'm doing it would be nice to have an AoE that doesn't use MP.

Gravijah

rush777 said:
So what did you guys choose between a Theif and Ranger?? I've been leveling swords with my theif and I love everything about it except the damage I'm doing.

Also is it worth going whips with my mage who will be going to sage when available? I just don't have many useful spells and with all of the grinding I'm doing it would be nice to have an AoE that doesn't use MP.

I've been using whips on my mage, but I plan on going minstrel for a while... after that, no idear.

I need to take pictures of my party, but 3/4 of them are wearing knickers. :(

Aeana

rush777 said:

Yes, absolutely. Whips will still do very respectable damage on a mage as long as the whip is kept up to date and skill points are dumped into it so the attack power goes up. That's what I've been doing.

BooJoh

rush777 said:
Pretty sure the ranger has the highest natural deftness in the game, so if you want to steal a lot that's something to think about.

john tv

I used that liquid metal slime spawn trick many, many times in the JP version. Great for leveling before you start picking up the really good treasure maps.

TheChaos

rush777 said:
Cool, thanks for the info, man what a tough choice... Theif or Ranger.

I chose ranger for my fourth char with a boomerang. Those things are awesome for crowd control and they don't do half-bad damage against bosses.

Edit: Love this game but a find myself cursing the game when I go to the next town and find a bunch of weapons/armor better than the stuff I spend a bunch of time alchemizing. Aargh!

Concerning alchemy...is getting most of the ingredients a matter of stealing from the right monsters and finding them on the map? Is there an easier way of doing it, or will you have to be really patient with most of the recipes?

rush777

TheChaos said:
I chose ranger for my fourth char with a boomerang. Those things are awesome for crowd control and they don't do half-bad damage against bosses.

Edit: Love this game but a find myself cursing the game when I go to the next town and find a bunch of weapons/armor better than the stuff I spend a bunch of time alchemizing. Aargh!

How is the Ranger for stealing? is he noticeably better or worse??

And Totally agree with the new town comment.

So I was looking up some FAQ's and it seems that at the point I'm at, I should have more than just my lead character in my party... how do you get others?

I'm fighting Morag in Brigadoom and she keeps paralyzing/charming me and I can't do shit

Aeana

brandonh83 said:
So I was looking up some FAQ's and it seems that at the point I'm at, I should have more than just my lead character in my party... how do you get others?

I'm fighting Morag in Brigadoom and she keeps paralyzing/charming me and I can't do shit
Talk to Patty at the inn in Stornway and call up friends to create new guys.

Aeana

brandonh83 said:
wait so I have to get new party members via wifi? that's the only way?
Patty has nothing to do with wifi. You create characters in the game.

It seems, with how many people are having trouble with this, that "call up friends" was a poor translation choice.

Top Bottom