• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Aeana said:
It seems, with how many people are having trouble with this, that "call up friends" was a poor translation choice.

Pretty much. Here I was just thinking she was sort of in charge of all the wifi stuff in the game. Thanks for clearing that up.

Aeana

leehom said:
How exactly does Tag mode work? I set up one DS to canvass, how does the other one join?
They do the same. Once both are canvassing, you should see each other. Once they show up, you can disconnect and then go to the room on the left side and talk to the character to get the map they brought.

leehom

Aeana said:
They do the same. Once both are canvassing, you should see each other. Once they show up, you can disconnect and then go to the room on the left side and talk to the character to get the map they brought.
Got it, thx. Took about a minute for the DS's to recognize each other.

Aselith

What is the best way to boost your chance to steal? My thief can't steal for shit with Half Inch. I can't even steal from someone who is asleep.

Stencil said:
If you don't use a Coup de Grace when it's available does it carry over to the next battle or anything like that?

No.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think I've decided what my final four will end up being, after fooling around near Porth Llarffan for a while.

Ranger, Sage, Armamentalist, Paladin. Strong support, good times.

Stencil said:
If you don't use a Coup de Grace when it's available does it carry over to the next battle or anything like that?
Nope.

Okay, I just got my ship(taking it slow) and I have no idea where to go now. Does anyone? Half my map is not complete, and I'm still trying to find the best place for farming exp at this point in the game.

Does the ranger class allow you to recruit enemies ala DQ 5, cause that would be cool....

Forkball

brandonh83 said:
So I was looking up some FAQ's and it seems that at the point I'm at, I should have more than just my lead character in my party... how do you get others?

I'm fighting Morag in Brigadoom and she keeps paralyzing/charming me and I can't do shit
How the hell did you
defeat Wight Knight and get to Brigadoom
with just one character?

Anyways, I just beat
Morag. The Wight Knight story was surprisingly heartwarming, when he first appeared I thought he was your typical jobber boss that would disappear after you beat him, but they made a nice little story out of it.
My party is Minstrel (main character), mage, priest, and martial artist. I wish my martial artist had more MP though, I can only use my super claw attack twice before I'm out of MP.

And at what point of the game can I change classes? I don't want to be a minstrel forever!

speedpop

Forkball said:
I wish my martial artist had more MP though, I can only use my super claw attack twice before I'm out of MP.
You have to conserve those until the boss battles, where the hard hitting classes really shine.

Forkball said:
And at what point of the game can I change classes? I don't want to be a minstrel forever!
You shouldn't be far off from where you are now.

Aselith

KeioSquad2 said:
Okay, I just got my ship(taking it slow) and I have no idea where to go now. Does anyone? Half my map is not complete, and I'm still trying to find the best place for farming exp at this point in the game.

Does the ranger class allow you to recruit enemies ala DQ 5, cause that would be cool....

Probably the best place is the Tomb near Coffinwell killing metal slimes at the first mirror.

teekun

KeioSquad2 said:
Okay, I just got my ship(taking it slow) and I have no idea where to go now. Does anyone?

Getting your ship is the best part of every Dragon Quest game because you can do whatever you want. Just explore and you'll eventually find stuff to do.

Aeana

speedpop said:
I think I've decided what my final four will end up being, after fooling around near Porth Llarffan for a while.

Ranger, Sage, Armamentalist, Paladin. Strong support, good times.
I don't know if this will affect your plan, but a word of warning about sage anyway:
you can't unlock it until near the very end of the game.

Koomaster

Just got my first map today from a quest; which coincided with my first party wipe.

Got to the boss of the dungeon with full health/mp for all my party (we are level 20) but we just couldn't take him. Did not know these bosses would be so hard, hardest boss I have faced in the game so far
I've defeated up to the Zere Rocks boss.

The dungeon boss was called
Equinox
and he had all these crazy spells that would hit the whole party and reduce our agility/defense/attack. He also got to attack 2x per turn, and his physical attacks did ~50-80HP of damage when my HP ranges are from 100-130. :/

It wasn't a complete slaughter, we held our own for a long time, and I estimate I did close to 800-1,000dmg to him over that time. But he never fell.

Guess I will continue on the main story before I try to do any more treasure hunting.

Also, I was in tag mode, but didn't encounter anyone today. I will keep trying tho just in case there is someone else out there looking for a tag.

TheChaos

rush777 said:
How is the Ranger for stealing? is he noticeably better or worse??

And Totally agree with the new town comment.

Somebody correct me if i am wrong but stealing success depends on deftness, so it doesn't matter which job you have as long as your deftness is high.

speedpop

Aeana said:
I don't know if this will affect your plan, but a word of warning about sage anyway:
you can't unlock it until near the very end of the game.
That's fine for me. The Sage is coming from my Priest.

TheChaos said:
Somebody correct me if i am wrong but stealing success depends on deftness, so it doesn't matter which job you have as long as your deftness is high.

I remember reading, a few pages back, that rangers have the highest natural deftness in the game. So, in theory, rangers should be the best thieves. Especially if they acquire the deftness bonuses from the thief job.

Victrix

*beard*
Given the way stealing %s work in this game, it seems like the best way to steal would be to convert your whole party and do 4x stealing vs mobs you need items from specifically, rather than wasting time trying to steal with one character for the whole game, losing a ton of turns, and only getting a handful of random items.

BooJoh

KeioSquad2 said:

iirc I sailed right out to the lighthouse right next to Bloomingdale, talked to some people there, I think it was there that I was told I should start by going to somewhere east of Newid.

rush777

Victrix said:
Given the way stealing %s work in this game, it seems like the best way to steal would be to convert your whole party and do 4x stealing vs mobs you need items from specifically, rather than wasting time trying to steal with one character for the whole game, losing a ton of turns, and only getting a handful of random items.

my theif is well equiped and she seems to have a fairly good success rate depending on the enemy, some enemy's are near impossible though.

Stencil

Just
beat Jack Alltrade
and switched my main to a Martial Artist. So far he sucks. That will change, right?? Can anyone tell me when?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I switched my Minstrel role to Warrior role. Big improvement so far.

Oh, and as much as I love the equipments-changing-avatars feature, the best equipment will make my characters look like doofuses. My Martial Artist looks like a doofus.

j98082.jpg

Erdrick

So I beat my first treasure map dungeon. I received another map, which I will pursue tomorrow, as it's nearly 4am here. Question though: There are 3 slots when I look at the map I just did, one, containing the map I won as a prize, the others "???????".

If I replay that map, will I get (Or have a chance of getting) something else if I beat (I assume) the same bossfight again?

Ravidrath

I've just found the scarewolves for the level 15 Martial Artist quest, but my kills aren't registering...

Tried two so far...

1. Psyched to max, War Cried until it landed, then killed him with a single hit
2. Landed two hits with other people, War Cried, then landed the final blow from my Martial Artist​

What am I doing wrong?

Seeds

Ravidrath said:
I've just found the scarewolves for the level 15 Martial Artist quest, but my kills aren't registering...

Tried two so far...

2. Landed two hits with other people, War Cried, then landed the final blow from my Martial Artist​

What am I doing wrong?

If I remember correct, you have to land the final blow directly after war cry and before the wolfs turn, ie, before it says that he's to scared to attack.

The good thing is that the martial artist doesn't have to land the killing blow, so I more or less did like you did (except for the end). Had two characters attack, and on the next turn had my martial artist do war cry while my second fastest character finished him off.

Ravidrath said:

Tried two so far...

What am I doing wrong?

i think you have to kill them when they are war cried and before their turn... that's what i am guessing, because i killed a lots of them and only 2 of them registered -.-

EDIT: beaten :p

EDIT2: Question! My Current line up is Minstrel, Mage, Priest and Martial Artist. I really would like to make my Mainchar a Warrior, but i am currently lvl 24 and if i change he will be lvl 1... it may have been answered but what carries over besides my swordskillpoints? do i keep some strength points etc? or do i have to level him in one of the starting sections? i am not really against grinding but ewww... if that's the case i guess i probably stay minstrel :/

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
wsd9c.jpg

A lackadaisical Celestrian who would rather spend his time barding and prancing than taking care of his assigned town; he often clashes with his master Aquila regarding his duties. When not loafing around during training time, Regulus secretly trains for the Glee Club annual Minstrel Tournament of the Observatory, having set his eyes upon his true love: the ukulele.

2ikcrhi.jpg

Born to a wealthy family of Lamopolis, Alicia has become sick of her opulent lifestyle and decided to fight against what she sees as the true evil of the world -the rigid and dull codes of The Man. While a perfectly posh princess during daytime, at night she dons the grooviest mantles of the city and sets off atop her wheels, proving that even the most babular babes can be the raddest dudes.

10y2ue9.jpg

At 17 years old, Idanea is a no-nonsense girl with a strong sense of order and justice and the youngest graduate Uptight Tighties Law University has ever had. She's practising as a priest now, having gone to bankruptcy after the loss of a recent malpractice sue for one of her defendants (irony!). She often locks horns with Alicia because of her cool-headed nature, but she actually cares a lot for her partner.

1z23h92.jpg

Elizabet was once a cheery curling player from up north, until an accident with the slide stone caused a domino reaction starting with the decapitation of a member of the audience and ending with the collapse of the banking system of the country. The guilt from the incident weighs heavily on her shoulders, forcing her to shut her feelings off from the world by acting distant and uncaring. Despite her fatalistic attitude, she is actually a girl with a heart of gold who would give anything for her teammates.

vpz0xt.jpg

Together, they fight crime!

leehom

leehom said:
Last question for awhile, what treasure map # has a lot of metal slimes/kings etc?
^ Does anyone know what level treasure map has metal kings and on what floor? I have the elusive level 87 map and got to floor 9 but didn't see a single metal anything.

DQVC is working today and has a downloadable quest. I've got the quest in my list but it won't tell me what it is and says I can't do it.

I got to the boss of my treasure map -- it's a level 18 map -- and he kicked my ass pretty hard. I was about level 20 on average, so changed classes to try and gain some better skills.

Salsa

5 Goddess Fruit get. Level 35 martial artist. 5 more skill points and i completely master the claws.

Game just keeps getting better.

botticus

Hmm... I think I'll change my Mage-turned-Minstrel into a Ranger. He's sort of my experimental party member.

I might see about a few more Acquisitiveness skills for my Thief before sending him back to Priesthood.

Edit: After seeing the Ranger skills, maybe I'll take this opportunity to instead keep bumping up my MA's agility and the like. But it's a tough call.

Can't post pictures from here, but my paladin is decked out in class gear. The visible equipment really shines here.

Almost done with all the Lvl 15 quests, and about to venture out to complete the Weapon quests. So much to do and so little time!

Shoogoo

SalsaShark said:
You know what i dont like ? the fact that important stuff of the story progression (getting to the point where you can change classes, the alchemy pot, etc) makes itself available only for the host player. I know it makes total sense but there`s been 3 times already when my friend had to leave my "world" to go through the same quest, same monsters, same everything in single player to get what he already got in my game. After he does that he can use the alchemy pot and change classes just fine in my game. Oh well.

This is horrible :( didn't know it worked that way

Ugh... This level 15 Paladin quest with pincushion is pissing me off. The armors keep calling slimes to heal, and when pincushion does do damage, it only does ~2. Does anyone have any tips?

JKTrix

ScrabbleDude said:
DQVC is working today and has a downloadable quest. I've got the quest in my list but it won't tell me what it is and says I can't do it.

Just had the same thing. Checked the official guide, quest #121 is activated in Upover, which I haven't been to yet. Could be that you can't accept it because you just haven't been to Upover.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Could they make changing vocations any more painful? Jesus christ game.

I'm ok with having to go to the abby
But then not only do you have a long ass pointless walk up the abby steps, then to the very back of the abby, but then you mash a while the guy talks to you about changing vocations, plus an animation, plus telling you about equipment.

Would it be so hard to just let me use a menu to instantly switch? Changing jobs in any game should be a 2 second thing at most.

I love the DQ games a lot more if they weren't so determined to keep such archaic things like that in place that slow everything down.

Oh well, at least I have my gladiator now.

JKTrix

slayn said:
Could they make changing vocations any more painful? Jesus christ game.

I'm ok with having to go to the abby
But then not only do you have a long ass pointless walk up the abby steps, then to the very back of the abby, but then you mash a while the guy talks to you about changing vocations, plus an animation, plus telling you about equipment.

Would it be so hard to just let me use a menu to instantly switch? Changing jobs in any game should be a 2 second thing at most.

I love the DQ games a lot more if they weren't so determined to keep such archaic things like that in place that slow everything down.

Oh well, at least I have my gladiator now.

When you earn the Sage vocation you can change vocations yourself

bon

Do the downloadable quests get taken down and replaced, or is it like Prof Layton where they build up and you can download all the past weekly puzzles?

Top Bottom