• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

slayn

needs to show more effort.
JKTrix said:
When you earn the Sage vocation you can change vocations yourself
From what little I know I won't have that until the very end of the game though.

bon said:
Do the downloadable quests get taken down and replaced, or is it like Prof Layton where they build up and you can download all the past weekly puzzles?
They build up. Check in every so often and you'll get everything you haven't gotten to date, including
guest characters

JKTrix said:
Just had the same thing. Checked the official guide, quest #121 is activated in Upover, which I haven't been to yet. Could be that you can't accept it because you just haven't been to Upover.

Yup, I could connect to the DQVC too. But my store just had bunch of common alchemy ingredients. How do you know if you've been given a quest? Do you purchase the quest like an item?

bon

Segata Sanshiro said:
They build up. Check in every so often and you'll get everything you haven't gotten to date, including
guest characters
Excellent. I have to fiddle with my router to get my DS online, so it's easier to download stuff in bulk.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Searched this in google, quoted from some site:

Below are the locations of the enemies in the Metal Slim family. Good luck and happy hunting!
Metal Slime
Quarantomb & Pluvi Isle

Liquid Metal Slime
Bowhole

Metal King Slime
Tower of Nod

Platinum King Jewels
Can be found in various Grottos. *To find the grottos, the player must have a treasure map*

Metal Medley
The Magmaroo & Bad Cave

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yup, I could connect to the DQVC too. But my store just had bunch of common alchemy ingredients. How do you know if you've been given a quest? Do you purchase the quest like an item?
You don't go to the shop for the quests. You have to talk to the Innkeeper woman, whatever name they've given her in English.

Easystride said:
Ugh... This level 15 Paladin quest with pincushion is pissing me off. The armors keep calling slimes to heal, and when pincushion does do damage, it only does ~2. Does anyone have any tips?
Let them kill a party member or two, take off your paladins armor, try to do 100-110 damage (Boulder Toss worked for me), then just pass the turns with pincushion until it's dead. Shouldn't take too long.

Segata Sanshiro said:
You don't go to the shop for the quests. You have to talk to the Innkeeper woman, whatever name they've given her in English.

I didn't get any special notification from the Innkeeper. But I checked my quest log and I have a new entry for "Extra Quests". Lo and behold, quest #121 is there... but I can't accept it yet.

thefil

I feel like I'm so far behind everyone here. All I've done so far is
re-unite the Right Knight with the light of his life
. How far do you have to get before unlocking DQVC? Will I miss anything important if I'm not checking it every day/week?

Aeana

The quests are downloaded via the same wifi shop person.

Anyway, I got the quest did it. It was pretty easy! The quest-giver is in one of the later towns, so that's probably why you guys can't do it yet.

Reluctant-Hero said:
I didn't get any special notification from the Innkeeper. But I checked my quest log and I have a new entry for "Extra Quests". Lo and behold, quest #121 is there... but I can't accept it yet.
After I completed the download, a little message came up that said a new quest had been received. You might have just pressed the button through it.

Stencil

slayn said:
Could they make changing vocations any more painful? Jesus christ game.

I'm ok with having to go to the abby
But then not only do you have a long ass pointless walk up the abby steps, then to the very back of the abby, but then you mash a while the guy talks to you about changing vocations, plus an animation, plus telling you about equipment.

Would it be so hard to just let me use a menu to instantly switch? Changing jobs in any game should be a 2 second thing at most.

I love the DQ games a lot more if they weren't so determined to keep such archaic things like that in place that slow everything down.

Oh well, at least I have my gladiator now.

Good lord tell me about it.

JKTrix

It might be worth it to talk to quest-givers when your active quest slots are full :lol

30a6wl2.jpg

Shoogoo

I have a couple questions (as if this thread didn't have enough of them already :D)

If I want to play through the whole game with my gf;

- Can we just play with the two of us, no companions at all?

- Can we play with one companion, leaving the 4th spot empty?

- If I got it right, she won't be able to change classes at the same time as I do if I'm host. We'll have to play with her as a host too. Is there anything else that will have to be double played, and after how many hours of play do you get rid of those "annoyance" (they are, for someone who wants to play multiplayer all the way from the start)

Big One

Banned
Is there anything I should make sure to do before I beat the game? I think I'm close to it, in the very least. I've been going back to some areas and finishing quests and shit but I don't want to end up missing a quest I had to do before I beat the final boss.

Deku

Banned
Big One said:
Is there anything I should make sure to do before I beat the game? I think I'm close to it, in the very least. I've been going back to some areas and finishing quests and shit but I don't want to end up missing a quest I had to do before I beat the final boss.

Once you beat the game, you can keep playing. The missions/story aspect is a small part of the experience, and it was intended to be relatively easy to do.

Gravijah

Shoogoo said:
I have a couple questions (as if this thread didn't have enough of them already :D)

If I want to play through the whole game with my gf;

- Can we just play with the two of us, no companions at all?

- Can we play with one companion, leaving the 4th spot empty?

- If I got it right, she won't be able to change classes at the same time as I do if I'm host. We'll have to play with her as a host too. Is there anything else that will have to be double played, and after how many hours of play do you get rid of those "annoyance" (they are, for someone who wants to play multiplayer all the way from the start)

You can play with just you two with one companion, two of you with one companion, two of you with two companions. Completely up to you. Might be harder, though.

Himuro said:
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
It wouldn't bother me in a "normal" DQ game, but some of the DQ regulars like the flavor text grate on me when I'm trying to finish an irritating quest or level a new vocation.

Aeana

Tarazet said:
Fry's has it for $29.99 today. Worth it, or is it going to be a bomb and be available for $19.99 everywhere?
Worth it, yes. Whether it's going to bomb and get a price drop or not... don't know, but possibly.

Tarazet said:
Fry's has it for $29.99 today. Worth it, or is it going to be a bomb and be available for $19.99 everywhere?
Definitely worth the $29.99!

Even if it doesn't sell well, I typically haven't seen retailers discounting Nintendo's self-publisher DS games. I'd also imagine that Nintendo didn't print millions of copies like they would with say... Pokemon.

Aeana

DrForester said:
Just got to Dourbridge.

Anyone recommend some good exp/metal slime spots? Party is sitting at level 21
The Quarantomb is a good spot for regular metal slimes. But an area or two after where you are has the next level of metal enemy that gives more experience.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Aeana said:
The Quarantomb is a good spot for regular metal slimes. But an area or two after where you are has the next level of metal enemy that gives more experience.

Thanks.

Meant to ask in previous post. What are good mobs for gold drops?

Lv20, just made it to the abbey.

Sadly I think the gooey gear is ruining the impact of my story. :lol Hard to talk about the fate of the world when my hero is wearing a giant cosplay shamu.

botticus

Okay, I think I've got a party configuration I'll stick with for more than an hour, at least until a new class opens up.

Warrior w/ Psyche Up
Ranger (previously MA)
Priest (extra agility from Thief)
Minstrel (probably going to see how this one progresses - the 30 point Might/Mending boosts are nice to look forward to)

Freyjadour said:
Let them kill a party member or two, take off your paladins armor, try to do 100-110 damage (Boulder Toss worked for me), then just pass the turns with pincushion until it's dead. Shouldn't take too long.
Thanks for the tips. It made this quest much easier. My paladin looks pretty awesome now.

carlos

Finished it today, 37 hours with a team of level 34 warrior, martial artist, minstrel and priest...
First time I don't use black magic in a dq game (in fact 80% of skills and magic are useless, IMO).
Gonna take a break before going into post game content...I can never seem to get motivated to play it in previous dq games, I hope this one gets me going.

Btw, is there a list of post game content available somewhere?

Tiktaalik

Someone sent out a "turn on yer tag mode" email at work and so I walked around the office and got three tags. I'm surprised how long it takes to connect. I was talking to someone and I got his neighbours tag, but that neighbour later came to my desk because he never got me. There goes my idea of putting on tag mode then biking to work and getting tags :'(

So I've invited all these guys to royal suites and I can talk to them and look at their game data. How do I get maps? Have they had to found maps in the game somehow prior? Do I have to be past a certain point in the game? I just finished the Wight Knight quest.

I've built up a decent stash of various seeds and I've been reluctant to use them. How do they work in DQIX? If I apply them to a character, do they raise stats across all the jobs toe that character? Or do they only raise stats for the particular job the charter is in when they're used?

Aeana

Reluctant-Hero said:
I've built up a decent stash of various seeds and I've been reluctant to use them. How do they work in DQIX? If I apply them to a character, do they raise stats across all the jobs toe that character? Or do they only raise stats for the particular job the charter is in when they're used?
Current class only.

seady

I am in love with this game so far. I felt like I am playing a RPG back when I was a kid. When everything was simple and with a lot of charms, and totally feel like I am on a quest of my own to explore the world.

But on the other hand, I have to wonder if this game would get any attention or the praise it got had it not have a Dragon Quest name attached to it. People would just criticize it for being too simplistic and traditional.

Seeds

So I started a new game and decided beforehand to pick the premade party members no matter class, looks etc.

Turns out one of the characters has my real name, which isn't a very common one.

Found that funny.

Gravijah

So, blue chests reset every time you turn the game on/off? So much for leaving mine on 24/7... Is there ever anything good in them?

botticus

So I still have yet to see any scarewolves, and it's really bothering me. I've already gained 22 various job levels with Nathan the former Martial Artist since accepting that quest.

Aeana

botticus said:
So I still have yet to see any scarewolves, and it's really bothering me. I've already gained 22 various job levels with Nathan the former Martial Artist since accepting it.
a) Go south from the west exit of Dourbridge and cross the bridge to the next area, and you can find them in that small area, b) wait until you get to Bloomingale and check north of the town.

botticus

Aeana said:
a) Go south from the west exit of Dourbridge and cross the bridge to the next area, and you can find them in that small area, b) wait until you get to Bloomingale and check north of the town.
I think you were the one who told me that last time and I failed to discover any at either location after roaming around for a while. I might not be looking in the right spot south of Dourbridge though, so I'll check again. Thanks!

Ceebs

Is there a good spot to stand in the Bad Cave to get the metal melodies to spawn? As of now I am going back and forth on the bridge just before the boss room.

Top Bottom