• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Aeana

botticus said:
I think you were the one who told me that last time and I failed to discover any at either location after roaming around for a while. I might not be looking in the right spot south of Dourbridge though, so I'll check again. Thanks!
Here is a photo of my location on the map and a scarewolf on the bottom screen: http://imgur.com/6lcIa.jpg

DarkKyo

Is there a helpful resource anyone can point me to that lists how to unlock each advanced vocation? I've looked around online and have not found anything reliable yet.

Apologies if this has been asked like a hundred times.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
When I play DQIX, I get instantly hyped for Ninokuni... I don't know why
maybe it's because I don't have a Wii to play DQX so I get the next best thing from L5, which is Ninokuni
. :lol

Ceebs

Dechaios said:
Is there a helpful resource anyone can point me to that lists how to unlock each advanced vocation? I've looked around online and have not found anything reliable yet.

The ones I have found so far:

Gladiator:
Priest in front of door to the inn Alltrades Abbey
Armamentalist:
At the top of the stairs in Alltrades Abbey. The quest giver looks like a red mage
Ranger:
In front of the entrance to the dungeon that leads to Zere Rocks

The quests are pretty straightforward once you find the NPC to get you started.

Gravijah

Ceebs said:
The ones I have found so far:

Gladiator:
Priest in front of door to the inn Alltrades Abbey
Armamentalist:
At the top of the stairs in Alltrades Abbey. The quest giver looks like a red mage
Ranger:
In front of the entrance to the dungeon that leads to Zere Rocks

The quests are pretty straightforward once you find the NPC to get you started.

What the hell is an Armamentalist?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I made it to Alltrades Abbey and then I started looking at my character's face and hair style and just erased 12 hours of play so I could fix the face and eye color.

This is the third time

wish they had a place to do this in-game

leehom

What's the best place to level up 30 to 40? I want to fight King Slimes but I heard they're only in treasure maps and Tower of Nod (very rare).

GeekyDad

Dechaios said:

Most of them can be unlocked through
quests given at Alltrades Abby, one is from a quest giver outside Lonely Heights (ranger), and another in Greeba (paladin).

DarkKyo

Serenade said:
I made it to Alltrades Abbey and then I started looking at my character's face and hair style and just erased 12 hours of play so I could fix the face and eye color.

This is the third time

wish they had a place to do this in-game
Hmm... well, good luck with that.

And thanks for that info Ceebs! Looking forward to Gladiator. Anyone know the others? I also want sage and mage-knight...

Aeana

Gravijah said:
What the hell is an Armamentalist?
It's how they chose to translate magic warrior (also called "ranger" in the DQ7 translation... for some reason...). It's a lot like a red mage from FF11 specifically, due to the magic sword abilities also.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got to coffinwell.
Really loving this game so far.

Gravijah

Aeana said:
It's how they chose to translate magic warrior (also called "ranger" in the DQ7 translation... for some reason...). It's a lot like a red mage from FF11 specifically, due to the magic sword abilities also.

Interesting. For some reason I thought they called it a Battlemage.

rpmurphy

Tiktaalik said:
Someone sent out a "turn on yer tag mode" email at work and so I walked around the office and got three tags. I'm surprised how long it takes to connect. I was talking to someone and I got his neighbours tag, but that neighbour later came to my desk because he never got me. There goes my idea of putting on tag mode then biking to work and getting tags :'(

So I've invited all these guys to royal suites and I can talk to them and look at their game data. How do I get maps? Have they had to found maps in the game somehow prior? Do I have to be past a certain point in the game? I just finished the Wight Knight quest.
Maybe you have to encounter treasure maps first to be able to exchange or receive maps. The first one you get is at
Zere Rocks

I'm getting mauled by the treasure map bosses though. What level party is recommended for them?

Vinci

Danish
If I'm unlikely to ever be around others with this game, is it worth purchasing right now? Just seems like the full functionality works a lot better in a Japan-like setting.

Gravijah

Vinci said:
If I'm unlikely to ever be around others with this game, is it worth purchasing right now? Just seems like the full functionality works a lot better in a Japan-like setting.

There's still a complete, fun game. Honestly most of the co-op (except the tag mode) seems kind of meh anyways.

Vinci

Danish
Gravijah said:
There's still a complete, fun game. Honestly most of the co-op (except the tag mode) seems kind of meh anyways.

Hmm. I'll consider it. I just feel Tag Mode actually working in my environment would be a miracle of epic proportions.

EDIT: Really wish it had a full online mode. America is too damn big.

Gravijah

Vinci said:
Hmm. I'll consider it. I just feel Tag Mode actually working in my environment would be a miracle of epic proportions.

EDIT: Really wish it had a full online mode. America is too damn big.

Trust me, I'm not going to get a single tag myself. I am curious though: Are there any programs like the PSP had (tunneling or whatever it's called) for the DS? So one could play online with others using their router? Or does the DS just not work that way?

seady

This and MGS: Peace Walker have the same problem of limiting the multiplayer into local wireless.

I am sure other than me, there are thousands and millions of other people that will never get to experience a huge chunk of the game because of this limitation.

This is like putting so much effort into a project but not able to present it. What a wasted effort.

BlueWord

Jeels said:
Went to Uni campus today, zero guests encountered =( I'll try again once the full semester starts.

My feeling everyday so far. I know it's selling alright around here, I saw people buying it both times I was out at Wal-mart this week, and it seemed like they were running low on supply. I just don't think anyone's tagging. It doesn't help that the game really fails to push it on the player, or make clear the rewards of going into tag mode; I'm sure most people are just ignoring it as a multiplayer thing. "Canvassing" is a horrible name, too.

Tiktaalik

rpmurphy said:
Maybe you have to encounter treasure maps first to be able to exchange or receive maps. The first one you get is at
Zere Rocks

I'm getting mauled by the treasure map bosses though. What level party is recommended for them?

Yeah I just looked through the latest Nintendo Power and they explain it pretty well. You get treasure maps via side missions and doing treasure map dungeons nets you more treasure maps.

I was just surprised that everyone I knew was much further into the game than me, at 11+ hours and yet still had no treasure maps at all.

I just played some 4 player and it was damn awesomely fun. It's great to play with people who are taking a whole different skill tree route than you and to see what they can do. It gives you good ideas about how you should proceed in the future.

Also we discovered that raising someone's tension to a full 100 makes them go super saiyan and do a crap load of damage.:lol

Ravidrath

Did DS tunneling ever go anywhere, and, if so, does it work with DQ9?

Also, how is the strategy guide for this? I don't usually buy guides, but this seems like a good candidate for one.

Big One

Banned
Is a Gladiator worth it at all? I've been thinking about changing my Martial Artist into one once I max out her Claw and Focus skill, but I dunno if that'd be the best decision. I was thinking of a shield-bearing claw character but can a Gladiator carry a shield?

Vinci

Danish
seady said:
This and MGS: Peace Walker have the same problem of limiting the multiplayer into local wireless.

I am sure other than me, there are thousands and millions of other people that will never get to experience a huge chunk of the game because of this limitation.

This is like putting so much effort into a project but not able to present it. What a wasted effort.

Ordinarily, I'm perfectly fine with local coop titles, but with something like this it presents a bit of a problem. I mean, I can't blame S-E for their decision - as this seems to work perfectly well in Japan by and large, and it's not their fault that I have so few friends who play games outside of Wii titles (which isn't a slight, BTW) - but for one of the first times ever I'm really wishing there were an online mode.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Tiktaalik said:
Also we discovered that raising someone's tension to a full 100 makes them go super saiyan and do a crap load of damage.:lol

do you ever get the option of having players raise their own tension?

Tiktaalik

Online would be pretty damn hard because there's basically no chat options whatsoever (there's hello and goodbye and then a slew of silly waves etc). The game isn't designed for it.

MGS can be played over adhoc because the thing is so single task based and mission structured and as well there are a bunch of useful phrases you can equip and use. In DQ it's so wide open that it's really necessary to have the person there so that you can even say where the hell you are and where you're going.

Vinci

Danish
Tiktaalik said:
Online would be pretty damn hard because there's basically no chat options whatsoever (there's hello and goodbye and then a slew of silly waves etc). The game isn't designed for it.

I'm not suggesting that they should have tacked online into this game. I'm assuming that if they meant for it to have online, it would have been designed around that concept.

Ricker

seady said:

Yep,don`t want to derail the thread,this game is awesome on the DS but for the online/canvassing/tagging stuff,I can`t help to think how awesome it would be if it was as easy as the PS360...next one maybe,who knows...couldn`t play much sadly,even if I got a new DS XL yesterday but still loving the game,almost done with the White Knight/Simona stuff now.

Tiktaalik

Vinci said:
I'm not suggesting that they should have tacked online into this game. I'm assuming that if they meant for it to have online, it would have been designed around that concept.

Yeah for sures it would have been rad. Even extra "follow me" in the party tricks in addition to "jump" and "clap" would have been good.

I think Hori may be opposed to the idea of internet play though.

This 1up interview is really interesting as it shows that he's concerned about cultural issues that are much more relevant in Japan than they are here, and he's clearly designing for that in mind.

1UP: Why didn’t you add some kind of online support for tagging in the international versions?
Horii: If we were to implement an online tag mode for Dragon Quest IX, then that download would be instant for everyone, and the information would get sent to everyone who had the game. What we aimed for with Dragon Quest IX and this tag mode, and what makes it so attractive is that it will only work within a certain reach of other DS systems, and you don’t really even know it happened until you get home and check, and it’s that social interaction that the tag mode offers that we really enjoy.

In Japan there are gamers who never leave their homes, and if we offered an online tag mode, they would never have an excuse on why they need to leave the home and venture outside, so with this tag mode in place, it forces these gamers to go out, venture into the city, seek out other Dragon Quest IX players and allow them some social interaction and not just completely disconnect from the real world and stay inside their comfortable virtual world.

Also while discussing a DQ MMO:

1UP: Well, it has always been an underlying issue, World of Warcraft is one of the biggest phenomenons out there in terms of subscriptions and how very passionate about it they are, and I know that there are a lot of passionate Dragon Quest fans out there, so that is why I was wondering if you would ever do a Dragon Quest MMO?

Horii: What we always inspire to do with each new Dragon Quest is to not make it an all-virtual world, we try to make sure we keep the gamer connected to the real world, and not to have them disconnect completely. There is a phenomenon in Japan called ‘Haijin,’ these are people who just play the game and disconnect completely from reality, and that is something we do not want to do with the Dragon Quest series.

Full interview here: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9037047

Forkball

Tiktaalik said:
I think it's funny that recently Square Enix has been desperately trying to appeal to a Western audience, and yet they do this with stupid and pandering ideas like giving us gruffy main characters instead of understanding key obvious differences in the markets such as Americans craving online gameplay over local wireless (not always, but still). The multiplayer functions in this game are completely designed around Japanese tastes. Granted, DQ isn't as popular in America so they probably didn't want to go through the hassle of implementing a deeper online aspect, but if they really wanted it to be a hit with American audiences they should have kept it in mind.

Vinci

Danish
Forkball said:
I think it's funny that recently Square Enix has been desperately trying to appeal to a Western audience, and yet they do this with stupid and pandering ideas like giving us gruffy main characters instead of understanding key obvious differences in the markets such as Americans craving online gameplay over local wireless (not always, but still). The multiplayer functions in this game are completely designed around Japanese tastes. Granted, DQ isn't as popular in America so they probably didn't want to go through the hassle of implementing a deeper online aspect, but if they really wanted it to be a hit with American audiences they should have kept it in mind.

Well, what Tiktaalik just posted seems reasonable enough. Horii appears genuinely concerned by too much online integration and I don't know that I think he's 100% wrong. And that's great for the Japanese audience, but it's a massively different story once you're talking about something the size of the States - particularly if you live in a place without a population of high density.

I respect the guy though. More power to him.

Tiktaalik

The interview is really interesting to me because this gen specifically it seems like the gap between typical western game attitudes and japanese game attitudes has gotten larger. On both sides of the Pacific it seems like folks are really wondering why Western and Japanese designers make the games in the way they do. This interview points out at least one example of a cultural difference that is driving a design direction in Japan to be different from what is typical in the west.

edit: quote for new page http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9037047

So western DQ gamers don't get an online tag mode which is badly needed given the size of North America and the ludicrously small size of the NA DQ fanbase because of shut-in Japanese gamers. Okay.

Aeana

Online wouldn't work for tag mode... the whole point is to pick up people as you pass them on the street. I'm not even sure how that would work online short of logging into the server and downloading a whole bunch of tags, which strikes me as kind of silly.

Online multiplayer, though, would have been really nice.

I agree that IX simply needs online in general in NA, although I've been fairly fortunate in having a number of people to team up and play locally with. Two local multiplayer sessions so far, and they've been a total blast.

Gravijah

Aeana said:
Online wouldn't work for tag mode... the whole point is to pick up people as you pass them on the street. I'm not even sure how that would work online short of logging into the server and downloading a whole bunch of tags, which strikes me as kind of silly.

Getting a few random matchups a day would be cool... Just, something at least. I'll be happy if I even tag one person.

Aeana

Well, they could have added something like the aliens in TWEWY. It's totally random as to when or if you will get one, but they don't rely on finding another person at least. But that doesn't account for people sharing treasure maps.

rush777

Quick question regarding a couple of Quests... 016. help meowt here and 012.Putting on the glitz, not sure what to do and any help would be great.

Also when does the priest learn multiheal?? man I need that for these treasure map bosses.

Aeana

rush777 said:
Quick question regarding a couple of Quests... 016. help meowt here and 012.Putting on the glitz, not sure what to do and any help would be great.
For quest 16, equip some cat ears and talk to the cat again.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Aeana said:

Something that may have worked in North American is a system akin to Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. Let us roam around and have wireless networks replace random strangers. Not exactly in the spirit of social connectivity, but better than not getting to use the feature at all.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I wonder if the liability of the Japanese dev's immature networking technology could become a strength as the wider user base becomes more oriented towards mass market social gaming. The emphasis on antagonistic player vs player FPS here in the West doesn't really translate to that sphere but it's pretty clear how you could evolve that way from a setup like DQ9. It's really not that far off from some Facebook games.

ryan-ts

rush777 said:

Also when does the priest learn multiheal?? man I need that for these treasure map bosses.

I want to say level 38.

Eteric Rice

BriareosGAF said:
I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I wonder if the liability of the Japanese dev's immature networking technology could become a strength as the wider user base becomes more oriented towards mass market social gaming. The emphasis on antagonistic player vs player FPS here in the West doesn't really translate to that sphere but it's pretty clear how you could evolve that way from a setup like DQ9. It's really not that far off from some Facebook games.

Would be interesting.

If I could write a letter to Yuji Horii, I'd ask him to put player housing in game, and let the player get items from quests, monsters, chests, etc, for their house to decorate it like they want. Then you could potentially let other players visit your house via wi-fi.

One thing DQIX has is a potential appeal to girls I think, due to the character creator and large variety of armor.

I just kind of feel that Nintendo/SE has yet to find the right kind of advertisement for it.

Boney

Banned
Aeana said:

Maybe with random WI-FI spots?

Also, what happened to your avatar? :(

Top Bottom