• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

JKTrix

rush777 said:
012.Putting on the glitz, not sure what to do and any help would be great

When I cleared this mission, my Style stat was at around 185. I'm assuming that the success of that mission is based on that stat being high enough on your main character. Mix n' match!

ryan-ts

Anyone know where I can find the Iron Crater of Joy? Treasure maps are too damn ambiguous with their location.

edit: I found it, it's right outside Angel Falls. The boss kicked my ass though, by healing with a cheap as hell technique, and my team is all lvl 40+.

Anyone done the level 15 Warrior quest ?
The one where you whistle, then finish the monster with a critical hit.

I can't seem to get the kills to register.
Can I use skills like Thunder Thrust for the crits, or normal attacks only ?

They could've used random wifi signals for tag mode to generate randomised guests with maps/items. My apartment building alone would've been a goldmine of wifi signals.

jaundicejuice said:
They could've used random wifi signals for tag mode to generate randomised guests with maps/items. My apartment building alone would've been a goldmine of wifi signals.

Kind of like Barcode Battler, only way more awesome!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Just beat
Lleviathan

That was intense. My people were level 11-13. I finished it with 2 people alive at sub 10hp. And I only won because the boss decided to do normal attacks for the last two rounds of the battle.

whew. Thought I was going to have my first game over.

Gravijah

Now I'm confused as hell... For some reason, I thought I just wasn't finding any wands. Now I see that most wands have "staff" in their name... So I figure staves are usually named poles? I guess the icon is different too... Argh, so confusing! :lol

For the online discussion, something like rewards for killing a grotto boss with a group would be cool. Thinking WoWs random dungeon, but you can only access maps you have currently.

Would take a lot more effort than SE is going to give us, but eh.

seady

I wonder how much better than 3DS would be with its tag mode.
In theory it would be easier to connect with other people as all the save games and its save files is in tag mode, but how many people would actually leave the 3DS in sleep mode all the time?

I personally use the sleep mode a lot on the DS, but not sure about the others. Nintendo will need to train people to do that more often - in order for the 3DS to work with tag mode.

Eteric Rice

I kind of wish they'd have let people get three save files. -_-

I don't know if I want to make my own unique character, or just stick with the defaults so the character looks like the one on the box.

And yes, I know I have issues. :|

JKTrix said:
When I cleared this mission, my Style stat was at around 185. I'm assuming that the success of that mission is based on that stat being high enough on your main character. Mix n' match!

I don't think it is. My main character had 250 when I first tried, and then with some quick reequipping was up to like 280 and she still said it was ugly.

The Level 15 Paladin quest is super annoying. I think I need to give everyone in the party Pincushion and change them to Mages or something. Even naked, my Paladin is only taking about 15 damage from their attacks.

BooJoh

I'm about 51 hours in, and haven't gotten started with Gleeba yet. I've been tied up in alchemy and metal farming and stuff. :lol

Gravijah said:
Now I'm confused as hell... For some reason, I thought I just wasn't finding any wands. Now I see that most wands have "staff" in their name... So I figure staves are usually named poles? I guess the icon is different too... Argh, so confusing! :lol
If the icon is a little staff with a curled end then it's a wand, even if it's named "Wizard Staff" or the like. If the icon is just a straight line, it's a fighting staff.

SAM_0003.JPG

SAM_0007.JPG

SAM_0006.JPG

SAM_0008.JPG

At the last dungeon.

Aeana

Finished the main story~ Play time was
47:10
. Final party was
42 ranger with fans and boomerangs maxed + hustle dance book, 44 paladin with spears maxed, 38 sage with enlightenment and whips maxed, and 45 gladiator with swords and guts maxed.
Plus a few other class bonuses here and there.

Time for post-game stuff omg.

Big One

Banned
Lol @ those clothes. Damn dude, you need to upgrade a bit if you want to trek through the final dungeon. Currently at the point where all I need is to fight the final boss and I might pull out my dusty digital camera to show off my final characters.

TurnipFritters said:
Is there a place to get Gold Rosaries? Do any monsters drop them, or am I just going to have to farm Blue Chests?
Lesionnaires drop Gold Rosaries. You can find these monsters in The Plumbed Depths, the place where you fought
the Grand Lizzier
boss.

Aeana

ravien56 said:
How long is the post game content anyways?
Seems like it's pretty much as long as you want it to be, because there are so many random treasure map dungeons to do. But over half of the quests in the game can't be completed until the post-game (in addition to the DLC quest released each week), as well, plus there's
an extra non-random dungeon to do.

People say it can easily dwarf the amount of time spent on the main game.

Gravijah

Aeana said:
Seems like it's pretty much as long as you want it to be, because there are so many random treasure map dungeons to do. But over half of the quests in the game can't be completed until the post-game (in addition to the DLC quest released each week), as well, plus there's
an extra non-random dungeon to do.

People say it can easily dwarf the amount of time spent on the main game.

I've already put 12 hours in and I just now reached coffinwell. Think this game is gonna last me a while.

ravien56

Gravijah said:
I've already put 12 hours in and I just now reached coffinwell. Think this game is gonna last me a while.
I'm at the exact part you are and I'm 6 hours....AND I'm taking my sweet ass time with the game, exploring everything, talking to everyone, farming my guys for gold, etc. Wtf are you doing?:lol :lol :lol
What level are your guys?

Gravijah

ravien56 said:
I'm at the exact part you are and I'm 6 hours....AND I'm taking my sweet ass time with the game, exploring everything, talking to everyone, farming my guys for gold, etc. Wtf are you doing?:lol :lol :lol
What level are your guys?

Uhhh, 14/13/13/13. I don't know what the hell has me going so slow. Maybe not abusing chimera wings? I dunno! :lol

ravien56

Gravijah said:
Uhhh, 14/13/13/13. I don't know what the hell has me going so slow. Maybe not abusing chimera wings? I dunno! :lol
lol, i haven't used any chimera wings or anything either but yea your guys are 3 levels higher, i guess you just grinded more than me.
I'm 12/11/11/11, I used to grind in the starting areas but I realized that when you go to the next town/dungeon, the mobs are always gonna drop way more exp and make it faster to level so why grind? I usually kill everything but I don't go out of my way to fight mobs like I used to in the starting zone.

Gravijah

ravien56 said:
lol, i haven't used any chimera wings or anything either but yea your guys are 3 levels higher, i guess you just grinded more than me.
I'm 12/11/11/11, I used to grind in the starting areas but I realized that when you go to the next town/dungeon, the mobs are always gonna drop way more exp and make it faster to level so why grind? I usually kill everything but I don't go out of my way to fight mobs like I used to in the starting zone.

I have to force myself not to fight random mobs because it bugs me. :lol usually I fight nearly everything I run into unless they run away from me.

Big One said:
Lol @ those clothes. Damn dude, you need to upgrade a bit if you want to trek through the final dungeon. Currently at the point where all I need is to fight the final boss and I might pull out my dusty digital camera to show off my final characters.
Nah man it was easy, I'm just stuck at
Gyumei/Purrvis
. Honestly the bosses in this game weren't really that much of a challenge, at least enough to make me grind more than a level or two. But this guy pisses me off with his 1-hit KO.

The thing that sucks is I'm so close to ending it, give or take a few battles. Might just grind the shield up on another class and switch back.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
So, I'm confused. I'd like to get this straight, PTCoakley. You're having just a bit of trouble, you're going to spend time grinding, but you won't buy equipment beyond some of the early stuff? I'm not saying how you should play the game, I'm just trying to understand.

RevenantKioku said:
So, I'm confused. I'd like to get this straight, PTCoakley. You're having just a bit of trouble, you're going to spend time grinding, but you won't buy equipment beyond some of the early stuff? I'm not saying how you should play the game, I'm just trying to understand.

Half of the stuff I have on at this point is from Upover... The pictures are not that up to date at this point since most of my team is now nearing mid-30s.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Okay, cool. Was just thinking you could probably get most of those grinding stat ups from a bit of equipment upgrading. Just seemed weird.

RevenantKioku said:
Okay, cool. Was just thinking you could probably get most of those grinding stat ups from a bit of equipment upgrading. Just seemed weird.

Basically I'm grinding near the full restore point in the dungeon. Either way once I recharge my DSi XL some more I'm gonna change classes on everyone and grind different stats.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The one thing I really enjoy about this game is going back to the towns and castles later on throughout the game and the little changes happen. i.e. Angel Falls entrance and church bell have been fixed, people lamenting over the fact that Ivor has become a lazy bum in maintaining the inn. Or the soldiers in Stornway practically saluting you as you walk through, even one proclaiming "All hail mighty *character*!"

Subtle differences like that have really gone a long way in breathing life into a genre that tends to avoid overall progression like that at times. The dialogue has been superb so far too, the "priest" in Dourbridge easily being one of my favourite characters when it comes to what they state. I can hear his accent throughout my mind as he jests in your face that such-and-such character isn't cursed/poisoned.

Vamphuntr

I'm 25 hours in now. I have reached ''bigotville''
after losing all of my fruits :(
. Aside form the bosses in the treasure map the game is still pretty easy for now. Anyone know where I can find gold bars? I need those to make the meteorite bracers.

Aeana

Oh man, awesome. Post-game spoiler:
I just did a quest and got a treasure map called Baramos's Map. Inside, I got to fight him, complete with his DQ3 fight music (he was REALLY HARD) and at the end of the battle, I got the option to give the experience from the battle to him to level him up... I guess doing that makes the rewards for beating him better?
So coool.

And now I can totally make a sage's stone. I might do that tomorrow.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Just got to the point after
Lleviathan
. My party is beginning to look significantly cooler than before, when I posted my Scottish clogging pirate outfit.

dq9-lvl20party.jpg

From left to right I've got Kuraine (16) Martial Artist, Kino (22) Thief, Asellus (22) Priest, and Majis (15) Semi-Useless Mage.

I definitely need to figure out what to do with my fourth slot, because seriously that guy just doesn't do anything in combat other than whiff, spend mana, or cast Accelerate for bosses :lol

I had been running with a 3-person group until I reached the Abbey, so he's tagging along to level up with my recent MC class change. Hasn't been slowing me down at all, just isn't contributing very well!

Aeana said:
Oh man, awesome. Post-game spoiler:
I just did a quest and got a treasure map called Baramos's Map. Inside, I got to fight him, complete with his DQ3 fight music (he was REALLY HARD) and at the end of the battle, I got the option to give the experience from the battle to him to level him up... I guess doing that makes the rewards for beating him better?
So coool.

Sort of. My understanding is that
those bosses drop different pieces of equipment from the main characters of their games, but only during specific levels. So Baramos between level 9 and 15 has a chance to drop the Aliahan Armor or whatever they call it.

I finally found a grotto with a different texture in it!

Top Bottom