• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

BooJoh

Oli said:
Two questions real quick:

1) If a party member dies in battle, do they get less experience?

2) If no, then why are the levels of EXP for each member varying so much?
I'm not positive, but I think characters may actually lose xp proportionate to the number of turns they were dead. I've had someone die on the last turn and I think they got full XP, but I've had someone die and then get revived before the end of battle, and get less.

Also, different jobs take different amounts of XP to level, so even given 3 level 1s who all participate in the same battles and never die, their levels will eventually vary.

And if you have a Mage, get used to them dying. Or switch them to physical DPS and never look back because there's really no penalty for not using offensive magic in this game. Quite the opposite actually, because physical DPS rarely gets mirrored and Magical damage gets mirrored much more often. The only time I use offensive magic now is when my healer (Sage) has downtime.

Lost Fragment said:
Is it just my imagination, or is the Bowhole better than Slime Hill?
IMO Slime Hill seems to have very low LMS spawn rates, and then they can spawn in the bushes where they're easy to miss. The upside is you can get up to 5 in a battle, but I think Bowhole is probably going to end up being more consistent xp over time.

Metal Kings in grottoes are even better, but their spawn rates vary from good to abysmal and you just never can tell.

Just got back from the EB event. Got 35 tags, but no SWAG :(. The person who won the DSi XL wasn't even there for the draw. Lame.

Also, it must have looked ridiculous to people walking by the store, ~30-40 people holding DS's constantly walking in circles around each other.

BooJoh

Vyse The Legend said:
Are Hatchet Man and Thunder Thrust the only critical-hit-or-nothing skills?
I think so, but there are also the instant-kill skills, which are functionally similar if you're hunting metals or whatnot. I'm not sure if they hit as often though. They'll usually do 1 damage, and occasionally just kill the enemy. I think knife, spear, and bow all get one.

Cheerilee

Crazymoogle said:
Just left the event at Oakridge (Vancouver). Good turnout at the start - I picked up 13 inn-izens, but bottomed out within a half hour. I'm in the XL draw and got a t-shirt, though.
I must have tagged you.

I stayed for the entire two hours, and got 18 tags (and a shirt).

rpmurphy

BooJoh said:
I think so, but there are also the instant-kill skills, which are functionally similar if you're hunting metals or whatnot. I'm not sure if they hit as often though. They'll usually do 1 damage, and occasionally just kill the enemy. I think knife, spear, and bow all get one.
Also there are the insta-kill weapons. There's a knife and a spear. I wonder if the chances stack using the insta-kill abilities with those weapons.

ruby_onix said:
I must have tagged you.

I stayed for the entire two hours, and got 18 tags (and a shirt).
Ah cool. :) Cale the Game Designer is probably freeloading at your inn, then. I would have stayed later but the iPhone lineup really sapped the strength in my legs. (If you noticed somebody way too distracted by their phone, that was probably me...)

Went to the Dragon Quest IX Tag Event at one of my local EB's (Metrotown) and managed to nab 36 tags. Pity I fell short of the 47 required for the next (final?) hotel upgrade. I think I received around a dozen maps as well as the special event one from NoA.

Cheerilee

Crazymoogle said:
Ah cool. :) Cale the Game Designer is probably freeloading at your inn, then. I would have stayed later but the iPhone lineup really sapped the strength in my legs. (If you noticed somebody way too distracted by their phone, that was probably me...)
Ah! You actually spoke to me, commenting about how other Game Designers showed up at Oakridge. I'm the Butler in your inn dressed like a slime stack.

Fake edit: Now you're freeloading in a Royal Suite.

If you can equip a Treasure Map, or a different one if you've tagged with a Treasure Map already, you can Tag someone again and it counts toward your overall total.

A word of advice to would-be taggers: If you go to a Tag Event, just make sure to stop tagging soon as you get three Tags, exit the Tag Mode, exit the hotel and re-enter to Tag some more. It seems as though three is the limit. I would have had so many more Tags today if that wasn't the case.

I stopped off at the EB at Lougheed on my way home from Metrotown, not a single Tag on the skytrain ride home or in the mall.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Houston really fucking sucks. I went to two of the listed Gamestops participating in the event (the one at 1960 and 290 in front of Walmart and the one in Willowbrook Mall) and both told me that the chain was not doing anything of the sort, despite them handing out flyers promoting the gathering.

Poppycock.

Does my heart good to read the success stories from the events.

edit: except for Regulus, whose fate is pre-determined to be awful because he touches himself so much at night.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Segata Sanshiro said:
Does my heart good to read the success stories from the events.

edit: except for Regulus, whose fate is pre-determined to be awful because he touches himself so much at night.

It's your fault for being so sexy. :(

I'm going to be trying my luck for some tags in Tokyo today, but I don't have high hopes cuz the game is so old. If I went to Luida's Bar in Roppongi I'd probably have a lot more luck, but I'm just going to go to Akihabara and see what happens.

Forkball

Alright, I beat that guy. I guess I just need to vent.

STARFLIGHT EXPRESS YES FINALLY

Time to unlock the sage class and turn my priest into one. Not to mention explore the rest of the world. I found one place that sold a Chronocrystal for 50k. Does it turn me into Crono from CT or something?

Went to the event at Gamestop in the Quarry, SATX, picked up about 17 tags, got a free poster too. Hoping the tag event at Best Buy next week will net me more.

Koomaster

Forkball said:
Alright, I beat that guy. I guess I just need to vent.

STARFLIGHT EXPRESS YES FINALLY

Time to unlock the sage class and turn my priest into one. Not to mention explore the rest of the world. I found one place that sold a Chronocrystal for 50k. Does it turn me into Crono from CT or something?
Yeah facing him is when I decided I needed a multi-heal spell for my party. He beat me down several times.

Chronocrystals are used in alchemy to make the Agate of Evolution, which in turn makes a bunch of the best weapons/armor in the game. Prepare to fork over a ton of gold to make even one item tho. :s

Is this Best Buy tag event only in the States?

Edit: Did a quick search, someone asked on the bestbuy.ca's facebook page...

http://www.facebook.com/BestBuyCanada?v=wall&viewas=0

According to this link, Best Buy in the US is holding a (roughly) nationwide Dragon Quest IX Connect & Play Demo Event on August 7th, where people can download an exclusive map and also utilize the in-game Tag Mode. I was wondering if Best Buy Canada has any plans to do a similar event?

Best Buy Canada ‎- Currently Best Buy Canada has no plans for an event of that nature. Sorry.

Profound sadness.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Am I simply incapable of reading quest directions, or does the game glitch out on them form time to time?

One, a girl asks me to go out and get a spider web for her. I go where she says, and there is a big spiderweb covering a hole. She said to check the ground for something shiny. I see nothing indicating an item's available anywhere around the thing. I ended up completing the quest because of a random drop from a boss later on.

Then I talk to this thief who wants me to chase down a robot that has stolen a bunch of loot so I can join the B-Team. I go to the cave she indicated, and there are plenty of robuts about, but no sign of any robut carrying a massive pile of gold or anything. Is there supposed to be something in that cave? If so, what am I doing something wrong?

C_V

Freshmaker said:
Am I simply incapable of reading quest directions, or does the game glitch out on them form time to time?

One, a girl asks me to go out and get a spider web for her. I go where she says, and there is a big spiderweb covering a hole. She said to check the ground for something shiny. I see nothing indicating an item's available anywhere around the thing. I ended up completing the quest because of a random drop from a boss later on.
She wanted a Tangleweb, which is what the spider boss dropped. Tanglewebs appear near the described web hole, but only as a glisten on the ground. It might just not have spawned though I guess.
Then I talk to this thief who wants me to chase down a robot that has stolen a bunch of loot so I can join the B-Team. I go to the cave she indicated, and there are plenty of robuts about, but no sign of any robut carrying a massive pile of gold or anything. Is there supposed to be something in that cave? If so, what am I doing something wrong?
You gotta use Half-Inch on the Hunter Mechs, and steal it back.

Some of the quests really are vague admittedly. Like the cat one.

Cheerilee

Freshmaker said:

The shiny items on the ground are random. Sometimes there's a few, sometimes a lot, sometimes none. If you come back later, maybe a few, maybe a lot, maybe none.

I haven't figured out the robot one yet. I tried stealing from one and got a bow, but it didn't seem to qualify as the missing loot. But there are rare drops/steals in this game, so maybe that's it.

Koomaster

For those of you with treasure maps, is it normal to only get one variety on your cart? I've got about 30+ and with the exception of 1 they are all ruins/lava/tunnel maps. The only one I have that is different is a low level water map. If I do a few in a row I get like tunnel vision only seeing the same type of background over and over.

Also, with that thief's quest, you do have to use half-inch. Guy specifically asks you to steal it off of the robot if I recall. Most of the time however when they ask you to get something off of monsters, you just have to kill one type over and over. But that one is made for getting you used to the half-inch skill.

Edit: For quests like that that ask you to use some low level skill like wizard ward, half inch, pincushion; I find the easiest way is to switch everyone over to that job, get enough points for the skill, then have everyone go hog wild doing it over and over again till you get the results.

Forkball

Koomaster said:
Yeah facing him is when I decided I needed a multi-heal spell for my party. He beat me down several times.

Chronocrystals are used in alchemy to make the Agate of Evolution, which in turn makes a bunch of the best weapons/armor in the game. Prepare to fork over a ton of gold to make even one item tho. :s

Actually I found one of them in a treasure chest, that was lucky.

Anyways, I switched my Priest to a Sage. I had to grind skill points a bit so my Sage could use a spear. Right now I'm just exploring and doing random quests. I did run into one enemy called a Cannibelle that almost wiped my party.

Koomaster said:
For those of you with treasure maps, is it normal to only get one variety on your cart? I've got about 30+ and with the exception of 1 they are all ruins/lava/tunnel maps. The only one I have that is different is a low level water map. If I do a few in a row I get like tunnel vision only seeing the same type of background over and over.

Apparently, maps have like a 40% chance of being ruins, 30% chance of being caves, and then 10% chances for the other three types. It's unfortunate because the ruins and cave are so dull looking.

jaxword

Regulus Tera said:
It's nice to have a final boss who's not
the king of the underworld for once.

That said, I feel like Horii tried too hard to evoke what make Psaro so memorable, with mediocre results.

Yeah, the design was incredibly generic, too.
A greenish gargoyle. That's not something that's appeared in every rpg since, like, Dungeons and Dragons. His Zombie-angel form was much more interesting.

Kard8p3

Bought the game today, or rather, yesterday, since it's past 12 am, haha. Just got to Stornway, having an amazing time so far.

Aeana

Android18a said:
How often is it worth connecting to DQVC? When do the items for sale change?
Every day at 8AM GMT or something. And new DLC quests are released through it every Friday.

Shoogoo

I feel my priest doesn't need the spending of skill points in both Faith and Wand. That would just give him too much MP. Am I right?

But just Faith might be tricky regarding MP... What to do?

Shoogoo said:
I feel my priest doesn't need the spending of skill points in both Faith and Wand. That would just give him too much MP. Am I right?

But just Faith might be tricky regarding MP... What to do?
My priest is a faith/spear split, and I haven't had many major MP problems. I think I've ran out of MP only once during a boss battle so far.

Koomaster

At one point in the game my priest had 0MP usage. Had a wand that gathered a high amount of MP when it contacted enemies/bosses, stacked with skills for increasing that, plus auto regeneration of MP at the end of every round. She would spend MP healing someone in the party, then get the MP back at the end of the round. :lol

Now though that I have all kinds of spells and skills to play around with, I'll tend to use about half my MP for a tough grotto boss battle. Just got the Solar Flair skill today; 30MP cost, but it packs a mighty wallop! Also have Gritty Ditty, which ramps up everyone's attack, casting that two times for the max buff costs I believe 32MP.

Plus the regular Kabuffs/Magic Barrier and other tricks all my guys have up their sleeve, the MP costs kept going up. But most everyone is high 50's - 60's in level, so I don't feel the cost as badly. I think my sage has something like 400MP, she could cast spells left and right all day long.

Koomaster

TurnipFritters said:
Apparently, maps have like a 40% chance of being ruins, 30% chance of being caves, and then 10% chances for the other three types. It's unfortunate because the ruins and cave are so dull looking.
That's kind of a bummer. Is there any way to get rid of maps?

Wish there was the ability to mark a favorite map, I've got so many that the names start to run together, and with all of them looking the same too; it's hard to keep track of which map has which enemies/boss/good chests.

Forkball said:
My priest always had a lot of MP, he never ran out. My mage goes through MP pretty quickly though.
Mages use MP a lot more then Priests.

Priests only cast spells when you need healing.

A mage will cast a spell when you want something to die.

Celine

Just got the option to change vocation.
I don't want to change the class to the other secondary characters cause I'm happy of my martial artist-priest-mage trio.
However I want to change the class of my hero but I'm uncertain on what to do.
At first I changed to a warrior but now I'm wondering if the thief' skills can be worthy to learn early on to collect items for the alchemy pot.
Any advice ?

Also how many points a priest need on faith to obatins a cure-all spell ?

YourMaster

Celine said:
I don't want to change the class to the other secondary characters cause I'm happy of my martial artist-priest-mage trio.
At first I changed to a warrior but now I'm wondering if the thief' skills can be worthy to learn early on to collect items for the alchemy pot.
Any advice ?

Spells aren't learned by skill points, but on vocation level. So, zero points in faith, and when not grinding to much you'll learn a multi-heal somewhere near the end of the game.

As for alchemy, the items for that are mostly just found on the map. Once you do find something you'd want to steal it's easy to just get some skillpoints in the thief skill for one of your characters. You don't need a thief unless you want to be a thief.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Celine said:
Any advice ?

Paladins Paladins Paladins Paladins Paladins Paladins Paladins Paladins

They are so hax the last boss didn't do any damage against my other party members. Forbearance for the win.

Priests learn multiheal around level 38.

Top Bottom