• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
ruby_onix said:
The shiny items on the ground are random. Sometimes there's a few, sometimes a lot, sometimes none. If you come back later, maybe a few, maybe a lot, maybe none.

I haven't figured out the robot one yet. I tried stealing from one and got a bow, but it didn't seem to qualify as the missing loot. But there are rare drops/steals in this game, so maybe that's it.
Yeah, after 20 rounds
of failed half inch
on one of 'em, I finally managed to pull out the required item. At least the reward was decent.

YourMaster

PataHikari said:
...then don't.

The EXP scaling in this game is such that, with semi-up to date gear a low leveled character can quickly catch up.

You seem to be under the impression that chaging jobs in this game is "starting over"

This is wrong.

The only difference between this game and the set up you discribed in FFV is that there's no "freelancer" class.

It IS starting over. I've been putting off killing the final boss because I'm not much for post games and have been doing a lot of other things. I have a Mage I would love to turn into a sage, but I can't because although my sage would be killer with a wand, a single hit of the boss would kill her. Sure, once I reach the top of
she would be leveled up enough to take a few hits, but she wouldn't have the spells I collected with my mage.

When you do it a bit earlier, they do catch up, but never completely. They will remain a few levels behind. Besides that, you basically have to choose one vocation per character, give him a weapon, maybe a shield, and then some other class specific skills. Everytime you change the vocation it is just to get skill points for your chosen vocation. The attributes you gain will go to waste, not that it matters, it just doesn't feel as good.

I never said grinding is detrimental, nor that skill points are useless. When you don't like to grind, that's tedious. I never really grinded for levels myself, just for the quests that require it. Skill points are good too, but not as important as gear and your level.

Kinitari, I think the "main" is stronger then the party members even when leveled the same. Not sure though.

But if you all really like the job system, great. I didn't care for it. Doesn't matter though, the game is awesome and a DQ game doesn't even need a job system. The alchemy in this game ís everything the job system isn't and the whole atmosphere is great as usual.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Mr. Wonderful said:
What do I do if I can't for the life of me find the location of a Treasure Map Grotto? Hold on. Maybe I'll post the picture online.

Check GameFAQs. They have maps of all possible grotto locations.

YourMaster said:
Besides that, you basically have to choose one vocation per character, give him a weapon, maybe a shield, and then some other class specific skills.
No that's what you chose to do. Not what you have to do.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
YourMaster said:
It IS starting over. I've been putting off killing the final boss because I'm not much for post games and have been doing a lot of other things. I have a Mage I would love to turn into a sage, but I can't because although my sage would be killer with a wand, a single hit of the boss would kill her. Sure, once I reach the top of
she would be leveled up enough to take a few hits, but she wouldn't have the spells I collected with my mage.
You used a very specific example, in that spells don't carry over. Any melee character for example, would not have the same issue. Moving a mage to a sage is like starting over - but if you really feel like you are being held back, the sage skill jacks whatsit would let you jump right back to being a mage whenever you wanted to be - and any passive skills you gained as a sage would carry over.

When you do it a bit earlier, they do catch up, but never completely. They will remain a few levels behind. Besides that, you basically have to choose one vocation per character, give him a weapon, maybe a shield, and then some other class specific skills. Everytime you change the vocation it is just to get skill points for your chosen vocation. The attributes you gain will go to waste, not that it matters, it just doesn't feel as good.

I don't quite understand the complaint here.

Firstly, yeah they might not ever catch up, but I bet you dollars to donuts that if you compared a warrior who was level 50 with a warrior who was level 40 AND spent 20 levels as a gladiator, you would find the level 40 one much more useful.

Another example, my current gladiator started off as a martial artist, got fists to 100 and my martial artist specific skills to 30 or 40 or so, changed to warrior and continued to use claws, and for 25 or so levels poured skill points into the warrior specific tree. Then finally settled into gladiator, where she now has maxed her gladiator specific tree - I currently have 40 extra skill points that I don't know what to do with, I can pop into another vocation pour it into the vocation specific section and if I want, hop back to gladiator with a healthy boost. Now my gladiator probably doesn't play like a traditional gladiator (claw skills for example), but is very functional, so there is quite a bit of customization that you can do.

I never said grinding is detrimental, nor that skill points are useless. When you don't like to grind, that's tedious. I never really grinded for levels myself, just for the quests that require it. Skill points are good too, but not as important as gear and your level.

Honestly, I might have to disagree with you here - I find that the right spread of skill points can substantially boost your character, more so than even a few 'tiers' worth of upgrading your gear.

Kinitari, I think the "main" is stronger then the party members even when leveled the same. Not sure though.

Regardless, all my characters have benefited from some level vocation hopping, I don't think the main's possible passive advantage has any bearing on that.

But if you all really like the job system, great. I didn't care for it. Doesn't matter though, the game is awesome and a DQ game doesn't even need a job system. The alchemy in this game ís everything the job system isn't and the whole atmosphere is great as usual.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to force you to like the job system, I understand you still really like the game, I just am having problems understanding your complaints.

Alright lads, is their a list "out there" that gives the location of every chest that can only be opened with the thief's key?

I've google'd and bing'd and I'm not getting any love.

Help!

Also, tips on the class quest called "Elementary Training" where you need to have wizard ward up and deal a killing blow to a metal slime is certainly welcome.

I'm 20th level and grinding them in the Quarantomb and having zero luck.

It seems like they have about 5 or 6 hitpoints and either I have the timing down with the character but the slime runs off before I can kill it, or my timing is off and I kill the slime with the wrong character.

So yeah...tips please. Unless that tip is "grind grind grind" because I've got that shit down yo.

And yeah...I've contemplated taking mage with all four characters and getting Wizard Ward on all of them and THEN grinding the metal slimes. I was just wondering if there's a less time-intensive way.

Koomaster

bigdaddygamebot said:
Alright lads, is their a list "out there" that gives the location of every chest that can only be opened with the thief's key?

I've google'd and bing'd and I'm not getting any love.

Help!

Also, tips on the class quest called "Elementary Training" where you need to have wizard ward up and deal a killing blow to a metal slime is certainly welcome.

It seems like they have about 5 or 6 hitpoints and either I have the timing down with the character but the slime runs off before I can kill it, or my timing is off and I kill the slime with the wrong character.

So yeah...tips please. Unless that tip is "grind grind grind" because I've got that shit down yo.

And yeah...I've contemplated taking mage with all four characters and getting Wizard Ward on all of them and THEN grinding the metal slimes. I was just wondering if there's a less time-intensive way.
Thief's key locations off the top of my head.

Slurry Quay behind the dude selling items.
Stornway there is a chest in the basement
Port Laffan the chest in the mayor's house
There is a chest in the tent where you got the thief's key in Dourbridge
I know there is another chest in Bloome's house in Bloomingdale

That's either all I remember, or that's all there are. There aren't that many really.

Also with that quest, I had everyone learn wizard ward, cast it first turn, then everyone attack the second. Whoever kills the metal slime completes the quest, real easy.

rpmurphy

bigdaddygamebot said:

How I did it:
On the first turn, had my mage cast Wizard Ward, and my warrior use Metal Slash. Because my warrior had a Falcon Blade, he could hit about 3 on average. On the next turn, my mage attacks, hoping that the slime didn't run and the attack hits.

zigg

Near the top of the page, are you all talking about the Masayuki map? If you want it, I can help.

I'm way too early in the game yet to play it myself, but with Mejilan's help, I verified that if you send me your save file, I can do a tag with you, and I'll get more people in my inn (which is what I want) and at the same time I can tag you with the Japanese "legendary save file" which has a guy named Ran in possession of the Masayuki map. (It's the legit version, as far as I can tell. No funky random characters or anything in it.)

If you're playing your legitimately-obtained copy on a flash card (no pirates need apply), you can just send me your .sav file. I'll tag you and send it back.

If you're playing your legit copy on a DS or Lite (sorry, DSi won't work) and have access to a flash card, you can use this software and an FTP client on your PC to get the .sav file off, send it to me, and then later restore the changed save file I'll send you back.

Just PM me so I can coordinate times, because when you restore the .sav file I send you back, progress you've made in the game since you sent me the .sav will be lost. You'll have to stop playing while I have your .sav, basically. :lol Also, let me know if you have any particular map you'd like to share with me.

This is basically a simulation a real-life wireless tag, over the Internet—it's not cheating, unless you consider the fact that I have access to the real Masayuki map cheating. In which case I'd still like to do a regular tag with you. :)

And if anyone wants to know how to do this for themselves, PM me and I'll explain. (It's pretty easy, but you need two DS's.)

zigg

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention this is only tested with U.S. copies... it will probably work if you've got a European version, but we'd have to test it.

So long as you save a copy of the .sav file you extract, though, you should be safe—you can always go back to it.

Dineren

Banned
The 100 skill fan quest is killing me,
I've seen maybe five liquid slimes in The bowhole
after an hour and I've yet to even kill a single one. How many hp do they have? My martial artist always attacks first so I've been having everyone attack on the first round and then open up the next with Fan Dango. Is there a better way to do this?

I'm not in the post game yet so as far as I know this is the best spot to attempt it.

Raw64life

YourMaster said:
Spells:
Minstrel: Heal(3), Crack(8), Evac(10), Woosh(12), Crackle(16), Midheal(21), Zing(24), Swoosh(30), Kaswoosh(36)

Thief: Squelch(4), Heal(9), Evac(12), Accelerate(16)

Priest: Heal(1), Squelch(3), Snooze(6), Buff(8), Cock-a-doodle-doo(11), Insulate(14), Midheal(16), Zing(18), Whack(20), Tingle(22), Moreheal(31), Thwack(34), Multiheal(38), Insulatle(43), Fullheal(47), Kathwack(55), Omniheal(65)

Mage: Frizz(1), Acceleratle(4), Crack(6), Sap(7), Evac(8), Bang(11), Safe Passage(13), Crackle(16), Fuddle(19), Bounce(21), Kasap(25), Boom(28), Frizzle(30), Oomph(33), Kacrack(40), Blunt(42), Kaboom(47), Kafrizz(53), Kafrizzle(64), Kacrackle(68)

Paladin: Buff(2), Heal(7), Spell Checker(10), Midheal(20), Kabuff(26), Magic Barrier(28), Kamikazee(33), Kerplunk(46)

Armamentalist: Dazzle(2), Sap(5), Snooze(8), Decelerate(10), Acceleratle(12), Fizzle(14), Kasap(16), Fuddle(20), Deceleratle(24), Kasnooze(28), Kafuddle(31), Oomph(39)

Ranger: Safe Passage(3), Squelch(4), Evac(7), Heal(10), Insulate(12), Tingle(16), Cock-a-doodle-doo(18), Midheal(22), Zing(24), Insulatle(26), Moreheal(34)

Sage: Heal(2), Zam(2), Squelch(5), Evac(5), Bang(8), Zammle(8), Divine Intervention(13), Midheal(16), Zing(20), Multiheal(24), Boom(27), Kabuff(30), Moreheal(33), Magic Barrier(38), Kazam(43), Kazing(45), Kaboom(48), Kazammle(61), Kaboomle(66), Magic Burst(78)

Luminary: Heal(4), Woosh(11), Bounce(18), Midheal(23), Swoosh(36), Kaswoosh(45), Kaswooshle (58)

Extremely helpful. Thanks.

So that wasn't bad at all. Only took me about 3 hours total to do all the extra class quests and then murder liquid metal slimes until they were all up to level 35 on their second classes. A couple more hours of grinding and then hopefully I'll finally be able to take out the final boss and start on the post game stuff.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's worth mentioning that the passive and permanent attribute boosts acquired by pumping points into the vocation-specific skills are pretty damn awesome. I could reset my characters to new level 1 vocations and their minimum HPs and MPs won't drop below something like 200 and 75, respectively. To say nothing about the rest of their stats!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Aw I want the awesome metal slime map =/.

I finally got some higher level maps! I've gotten as far as level 34 now, hopefully I can ride this wave until I get some MKS. I read the grotto faq, looks like I'm not too far off.

Fewr

zigg said:
Near the top of the page, are you all talking about the Masayuki map? If you want it, I can help.

I'm way too early in the game yet to play it myself, but with Mejilan's help, I verified that if you send me your save file, I can do a tag with you, and I'll get more people in my inn (which is what I want) and at the same time I can tag you with the Japanese "legendary save file" which has a guy named Ran in possession of the Masayuki map. (It's the legit version, as far as I can tell. No funky random characters or anything in it.)

If you're playing your legitimately-obtained copy on a flash card (no pirates need apply), you can just send me your .sav file. I'll tag you and send it back.

If you're playing your legit copy on a DS or Lite (sorry, DSi won't work) and have access to a flash card, you can use this software and an FTP client on your PC to get the .sav file off, send it to me, and then later restore the changed save file I'll send you back.

Just PM me so I can coordinate times, because when you restore the .sav file I send you back, progress you've made in the game since you sent me the .sav will be lost. You'll have to stop playing while I have your .sav, basically. :lol Also, let me know if you have any particular map you'd like to share with me.

This is basically a simulation a real-life wireless tag, over the Internet—it's not cheating, unless you consider the fact that I have access to the real Masayuki map cheating. In which case I'd still like to do a regular tag with you. :)

And if anyone wants to know how to do this for themselves, PM me and I'll explain. (It's pretty easy, but you need two DS's.)
I think I'll pm you later this week asking about it.
I posted a photo of my copy earlier in the thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22316709&postcount=880

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Fuck!!

I can't find my DS Lite charger. I need my DQIX fix ;_;

I was thinking about getting a DSi XL. Maybe this is a sign.....

YourMaster said:
Everytime you change the vocation it is just to get skill points for your chosen vocation. The attributes you gain will go to waste, not that it matters, it just doesn't feel as good.
I don't think you quite understand the job system.

Every job has access to 5 places to put skill points -- 4 weapons and 1 class specific. Everything you gain from the class specific one is available to every other class regardless of weapon equipped. If you gain +100 Magical Might from the Mage's skill tree, then that character will always get +100 Magical Might, regardless of class.

This seems a lot less useless when you realize that the Paladin boosts can make your characters very well defended, and the gladiator can make them very strong, etc.

And there is an additional bonus to the weapons. If you max out a weapon, then any class can equip that weapon and gets all the bonuses associated with doing so. This way you can give your Mage a sword, or your Gladiator a shield.

BooJoh

zigg said:
The documentation for that backup tool isn't in English, so I'm a bit iffy. I'd rather not accidentally kill my DQIX save (or brick the cart) while trying to backup/restore it. How does it work?

jgwhiteus

Finished the main quest today, put in about 38 hours. I could have beaten it a few hours earlier, but I decided for the heck of it to change three of my characters' classes before the last boss - changed my main from Gladiator to Paladin, my Thief to Gladiator, and my Priest to Sage. Only my Martial Artist kept his initial class (though I put some time for him in Gladiator so he could learn Double Up). So final party was Paladin, Gladiator, Sage, and Martial Artist.

Had no problems with the final bosses with three of my characters at about lv. 35, and the fourth at around lv. 45 - all my fighters used Double Up (which I prefer to Egg On / Psyche Up since you don't have to deal with tension failing to reach 100, and you can occasionally get Critical Hits anyway), and the Sage used Kabuff and healing to negate the defense drop. With damage stacking, most fights ended pretty quickly - I think for the final boss the party was doing 700-800 damage per round with regular attacks.

I did a little of the post-game stuff
I got the Starflight Express
but don't feel motivated to do the treasure grottoes / sidequests if there's nowhere else to go plot-wise. No complaints though - great, addictive game; really looking forward to DQX.

Chairhome

zigg said:
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention this is only tested with U.S. copies... it will probably work if you've got a European version, but we'd have to test it.

So long as you save a copy of the .sav file you extract, though, you should be safe—you can always go back to it.
It should work with international tagging. I remember in the interview on the nintendo channel, he said you can tag people from different regions.

Just got to Batsburg. I can see myself playing this game for a loooong time. Best ds game of the year, and might replace III as my favorite DQ.

YourMaster

Kinitari said:
You used a very specific example, in that spells don't carry over. Any melee character for example, would not have the same issue. Moving a mage to a sage is like starting over - but if you really feel like you are being held back, the sage skill jacks whatsit would let you jump right back to being a mage whenever you wanted to be - and any passive skills you gained as a sage would carry over.

I don't quite understand the complaint here.

Firstly, yeah they might not ever catch up, but I bet you dollars to donuts that if you compared a warrior who was level 50 with a warrior who was level 40 AND spent 20 levels as a gladiator, you would find the level 40 one much more useful.

I'm willing to take your donuts there. I think the attribute gain for those 10 levels of warrior far outweighs the additional skill points (10 levels warrior minus those 20 levels of gladiator) could possibly provide.

And I actually do like the vocation system better for melee characters then for the spellcasters.

I think what I dislike most is that you basically have one vocation per character because that's what you level up. All the other vocations you put on your character are only for those passive skills for your main vocation.

seady

Playing this game makes me wish Monster Hunter could have some plot to advance the game.

I am the type of gamer that value story heavily in a game. It gives me motivation to go on and makes me feel I am accomplishing something instead of pointless grinding. I was hoping Monster Hunter 3 could bring me that, but it didn't so I stopped playing very early on. This game on the other hand strikes the perfect balance.

If I have anything to criticize about this game under Monster Hunter it would be the multiplayer part. I played it with a friend but I feel it kind of pointless, as leveling up my own characters and fighting enemies by myself is much easier. Having a friend in MH really helps you in battle and change the game dynamic, but here it isn't.

YourMaster

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Where's the best place for metal slimes?

If you must you can find them early on in the cave near coffinwell.

However, if you can wait, at some point you get to a dungeon with liquid metal slimes. Two floors with high spawn rates that give you a lot more XP. You can't miss it when you get there, but you get there soon after you collected all 7 figs.

Echoes

I want the treasure map with the LMS-floor :-(

Anyway to obtain it normally? I bought the Japanese version of the game back then, will that help? I also have the English version of course, and two other copies (for my brothers).

YourMaster said:
However, if you can wait, at some point you get to a dungeon with liquid metal slimes. Two floors with high spawn rates that give you a lot more XP. You can't miss it when you get there, but you get there soon after you collected all 7 figs.

I'm more or less at this point now so I'll keep an eye out.

turnbuckle

YourMaster said:
If you must you can find them early on in the cave near coffinwell.

Actually, I missed it my first time around. Didn't realize they were there until someone posted a video about how to farm them.

zigg

BooJoh said:
The documentation for that backup tool isn't in English, so I'm a bit iffy. I'd rather not accidentally kill my DQIX save (or brick the cart) while trying to backup/restore it. How does it work?

The software itself is completely in English, thankfully :D Install the .nds and the .ini to your flash card, run the .nds, and then eject your flash card and insert your DQ9 (or most any card, really) into the slot when prompted. Then connect an FTP client on your PC to the IP address shown on the DS's top screen, and inside the folder is a .sav file; you can download it to your PC to make a copy, or upload a new one to overwrite it.

Just be sure to download the .sav first, and keep a copy, and you'll be fine.

Fewr said:

That's actually for an older version of the software... does the same thing but requires you to set up an FTP server on your PC. I think the new way is simpler.

Echoes said:

Anyway to obtain it normally? I bought the Japanese version of the game back then, will that help? I also have the English version of course, and two other copies (for my brothers).

Yeah, actually. PM me and I can send you a save for your Japanese version that has the map in it; you can back up your Japanese save and overwrite with the one I send you, then tag it over to as many English versions as you want. It will even transliterate the names (i.e. it'll say "masayuki" in the English copies.)

Or, you can help me out with my desire to fill my inn, and I can tag it over to your English save in the process:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22641702#post22641702

Either way, you need some way to transfer saves on/off your cards.

Fewr

zigg,
I just sent you an email with my file. There's no rush, I usually don't get to play until late at night. Thanks.

Not bad results in Tokyo. 11 tags. Better than I was expecting, actually. Two of them were from the maids handing out flyers on the streets, haha. Got a whole mess of maps, too.

Some highlights of today's guests:

Miko the Maid, who's played 103 hours in single player and 15 in multi.

Kazuaki, the 10 year old L99 Gladiator with 83 hours on the clock.

Norisuke, the 5 year old with 370 hours on the clock. Yikes!

Ryosuke, he's got 481 hours on the clock and 1200 guests canvassed.

But holy mother of god, let me tell you about Yotusi. Yotusi, who has 1180 hours on the clock in single, and 51 hours of multi. Yotusi has 100% of everything and has canvassed 4530 guests.

zigg

Fewr said:
zigg,
I just sent you an email with my file. There's no rush, I usually don't get to play until late at night. Thanks.

Got it. Good thing you don't mind later, because I forgot to bring my second DS to work :D

antispin said:
So after about three weeks, i finally got my copy from P-A. Better late than never amirite?

You'll probably still pass me. :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
But holy mother of god, let me tell you about Yotusi. Yotusi, who has 1180 hours on the clock in single, and 51 hours of multi. Yotusi has 100% of everything and has canvassed 4530 guests.

Haha, wow, that's awesome.

Just beat
Greygnarl
. Wow at
the scene that followed. The complete Dragon Armour set looks so amazing! :D

Off for some more level/gold grinding before taking on
Goreham-Hogg
again though.

GeekyDad

Echoes said:

You mean the Masayuki map with the MKS? You'd have to tag mode with someone who has the map, or figure out a way to download and use a save that has the map.

If you're merely looking for LMS, though,
Slime Hill is probably your best bet. It's just outside of Angel Falls. It can be accessed using the Starflight Express.

Wichu

Anyone available now who can tag one of the awesome grotto maps onto my save? I can provide proof of purchase (i.e. photo of game/receipt) if needed.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Such a busy weekend, I barely got a chance to play. Still grinding exp and skills as I explore non-necessary areas for enemies
Missing from my compendium and alchemy fodder. Close to 50 hours on the clock. I'm sure I'll get around to fygg #4 one of these days! :D

Kingbrave

I got this game Saturday. I've never played a DQ game before. At first I though it was boring, but I just finished the Wight Knight stuff and love the game now.

zigg

Wichu said:
Anyone available now who can tag one of the awesome grotto maps onto my save? I can provide proof of purchase (i.e. photo of game/receipt) if needed.

You can send it now if you like, but I won't be able to get to it for about 7-8 hours.

Wichu

zigg said:
You can send it now if you like, but I won't be able to get to it for about 7-8 hours.
Problem is I wouldn't be able to play in the meantime :p
Hmm... I could try sending my save now, then tomorrow I could back up my most current save, load the save I get from you, and tag the map to my brother's game. If I do this, would I be able to restore my save and tag it back to my game (can you tag the same person more than once)?

Alternatively, I could back up my current file, start a new file, and send you that once I get to Stornway. After tagging my brother, I can then restore my first file and get the map too.

Or I could simply not play DQ until I get the save back (not going to happen :p).

If the first is possible, I'd rather do that.

Oxx

More encouraging signs for DQIX in the UK charts. Sales went up in the second week.

Obviously without numbers this lacks a little context, but it's better than nothing.

Gotta say, this is the best game I've played this year, and the best RPG I've played on a console in maybe 10 years. So, so good. If only they had infrastructure online play, it would be perfect.

CoolS

Last weekend I had a silver slime on the loading screen, and just now I had a red one. Does that mean anything?

Top Bottom