• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Aeana

Johnlenham said:
Where do I get the treasure maps from? Im only up to whatever im supposed to do after Gleeba though.
You can get your first treasure map from the quest the injured man just outside of Zere Rocks gives. Then you can get more by beating that one.

BooJoh

I turned my Priest into a Sage, and he uses a Spear and never has mana issues. With all the magical mending he has plus Twocus Pocus he can usually heal the whole party to full in one turn if he needs to, and in offtimes he can Kazammle. On top of that Sage gets Kazing, a guaranteed res.

Personally for mana regen though, I had my Armamentalist using a bow because Hallowed Arrow can deal decent damage and leech 20+ MP in a single hit.

Kad5

Well I have played Dragon quests IV, V, and IX. Out of the three i'd say IX is my favorite just because of the multiplayer and the customization of the party.

Celine

YourMaster said:
Spells aren't learned by skill points, but on vocation level. So, zero points in faith, and when not grinding to much you'll learn a multi-heal somewhere near the end of the game.

As for alchemy, the items for that are mostly just found on the map. Once you do find something you'd want to steal it's easy to just get some skillpoints in the thief skill for one of your characters. You don't need a thief unless you want to be a thief.
Ah yeah, I thought there was a skill for the hell all but I was wrong.
Ok, se let it be warrior.

Regulus Tera said:
Paladins Paladins Paladins Paladins Paladins Paladins Paladins Paladins

They are so hax the last boss didn't do any damage against my other party members. Forbearance for the win.

Priests learn multiheal around level 38.
So there are classes outside the first six ? How can you obtain them ? Quest ?
I'll try the paladin when it get available , thanks.

Hmm well what the hecks the point in these treasure maps?

Beat the first one and the only stuff I found was a magic water and the next map, next map was an ice place and all i got was a herb and got raped by the boss. I was expecting to find equipment or items of worth or something!

Ravidrath

Johnlenham said:

Beat the first one and the only stuff I found was a magic water and the next map, next map was an ice place and all i got was a herb and got raped by the boss. I was expecting to find equipment or items of worth or something!

The whole point is the potential drops from the bosses. The one drop that's worthwhile has a 2% drop rate.

rpmurphy

Koomaster said:
That's kind of a bummer. Is there any way to get rid of maps?

Wish there was the ability to mark a favorite map, I've got so many that the names start to run together, and with all of them looking the same too; it's hard to keep track of which map has which enemies/boss/good chests.
You have the option to delete a map from the list when you select one.

rpmurphy

Johnlenham said:

Higher quality grottoes yield blue chests with higher quality items and have stronger monsters that are only found in grottoes. Check up the GameFAQs stickied thread to see how to get them. Also, the 10% boss drops are usually good as well.

Raw64life

Final boss has been kicking my ass. Fought him with my characters on level 40-41 and lasted a while but could never beat him. Went liquid metal slim hunting and got my characters to level 43-44, but was met with the same result when I went back to him.

BitchTits

After reaching the abbey where you can change jobs, I had an epiphany that I wanted to change my characters sex/hairstyle as well as some of their classes, so I went back to Stornoway and created a new party, now to do some grinding to get them all back upto where I was before. :lol

GeekyDad

Android18a said:
How often is it worth connecting to DQVC? When do the items for sale change?

I've been logging on every day. I just picked up a dangerous bikini top, which I think you can only otherwise get in higher-level grottoes. So, I'd say it's well worth logging on as often as you can. The items are different for everyone, though there's certain items in circulation depending on the time of year. Right now, they're doing a summer-themed thing.

As an aside, I just got my 100+ hour accolade. This game has pretty much become like Animal Crossing for me. Log on to the DQVC, buy some merch, do a quest, zip through a grotto, and generally just fool around. Only difference, really, is the "town" is massive! :D

zurra

finally had a chance to start playing again yesterday. went to the local gamestop event and picked up the map and a slime shirt, haven't played the map yet though.

gladiators seem reeeeally monstrous. i fought
Lleviathan
last night and two-shot it... max tension, double up, gale fource, and sap had helm splitter cracking him for over 1k a pop. at level 19. didn't even need to heal! :lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Ugh, I feel like I am hitting a road block - I have about 2 dozen maps, and only three of them are over level 25 - I understand there is a link between my level and the level of maps I get (mixed in with a random factor) but It's really hard to level now, LMS's 10-12k xp is like... a fifth of my level requirement, and they are not really frequent enough to give me a big payoff at that rate. I understand higher level grottos will give me enemies that are unique only to grottos, (or at least King metal slimes) - but to get to those grottos, I need to be higher level. feels like a catch 22! To top it off, I can't seem to luck out by obtaining the downloadable quest's required grotto map :(.

Oxx

The problem with grinding vocations/skills is that once you start it's pretty hard to stop. There's always something else to switch to and try and improve.

I think my hero will have 6 jobs over level 20 by this evening.

Forkball said:
Actually I found one of them in a treasure chest, that was lucky.

Anyways, I switched my Priest to a Sage. I had to grind skill points a bit so my Sage could use a spear. Right now I'm just exploring and doing random quests. I did run into one enemy called a Cannibelle that almost wiped my party.

Lol, that almost happened to me too. I thought I'd be cute and try to steal from her. Didn't work out like I planned.

Melhisedek said:
Damn I can't seem to connect online using my router as it uses WPA I believe and DS supports only WEP :(
No DLC for me :/

Just do what I do. Log onto your router and change your settings to WEP for the 30 seconds it takes to connect and download the data. Then change it back to WPA.

BitchTits said:
After reaching the abbey where you can change jobs, I had an epiphany that I wanted to change my characters sex/hairstyle as well as some of their classes, so I went back to Stornoway and created a new party, now to do some grinding to get them all back upto where I was before. :lol

I wish I would've done that earlier. I've got a martial artist I'm not really caring for, but I really don't want to have to train up another lvl 80. :(

Well after complaing about Maps, I went to the bottom and kicked the boss's ass and got both rare drops :D Some Vest gauntlets and a dragon tail whip and a new map:D

Raw64life

So is there anywhere where I can see what classes learn what spells at what levels? I've stuck with the classes I started with up to this point simply because I hate the class system and want nothing to do with it, but if my characters have learned everything they're going to learn already I guess it makes sense to switch.

YourMaster

PataHikari said:
How can you hate the class system?

It's awesome.

I don't love this game for it's class system either, it's ok and it works, but it isn't as good as the job system in FF5. This game has other strengths. Getting skill points is quite tedious and there is little reward.

You can finish the game with somewhere between 100-200 skill points per character, which isn't enough to get nice builds and the character level has more influence then the acquired skills. Getting more skill points is detrimental to your character level. The only way to benefit is to grind, which isn't everybody's cup of tea.

I would prefer a job system that would not be linked to my character level and would give me the option for more unique builds.

Raw64life said:
So is there anywhere where I can see what classes learn what spells at what levels? I've stuck with the classes I started with up to this point simply because I hate the class system and want nothing to do with it, but if my characters have learned everything they're going to learn already I guess it makes sense to switch.

Try gamefaqs. But the spellcasters will keep learning spells long past the point where you've finished the story campaign. The point of leveling up is getting better stats, and your gear is very important as well.

Raw64life

YourMaster said:
Try gamefaqs. But the spellcasters will keep learning spells long past the point where you've finished the story campaign. The point of leveling up is getting better stats, and your gear is very important as well.

That was the first place I checked. Google didn't help much either. The only reason I'm considering it because the final boss keeps kicking my ass, mainly because he can always kill my mage and/or priest in one turn when he uses magic burst.

YourMaster

Captain N said:
at some point in the game can you revive party members without going to the church?

Quite soon. With spells or items.
Best way is to get your priest up to level 18.

Raw64life said:
That was the first place I checked. Google didn't help much either. The only reason I'm considering it because the final boss keeps kicking my ass, mainly because he can always kill my mage and/or priest in one turn when he uses magic burst.

Spells:
Minstrel: Heal(3), Crack(8), Evac(10), Woosh(12), Crackle(16), Midheal(21), Zing(24), Swoosh(30), Kaswoosh(36)

Thief: Squelch(4), Heal(9), Evac(12), Accelerate(16)

Priest: Heal(1), Squelch(3), Snooze(6), Buff(8), Cock-a-doodle-doo(11), Insulate(14), Midheal(16), Zing(18), Whack(20), Tingle(22), Moreheal(31), Thwack(34), Multiheal(38), Insulatle(43), Fullheal(47), Kathwack(55), Omniheal(65)

Mage: Frizz(1), Acceleratle(4), Crack(6), Sap(7), Evac(8), Bang(11), Safe Passage(13), Crackle(16), Fuddle(19), Bounce(21), Kasap(25), Boom(28), Frizzle(30), Oomph(33), Kacrack(40), Blunt(42), Kaboom(47), Kafrizz(53), Kafrizzle(64), Kacrackle(68)

Paladin: Buff(2), Heal(7), Spell Checker(10), Midheal(20), Kabuff(26), Magic Barrier(28), Kamikazee(33), Kerplunk(46)

Armamentalist: Dazzle(2), Sap(5), Snooze(8), Decelerate(10), Acceleratle(12), Fizzle(14), Kasap(16), Fuddle(20), Deceleratle(24), Kasnooze(28), Kafuddle(31), Oomph(39)

Ranger: Safe Passage(3), Squelch(4), Evac(7), Heal(10), Insulate(12), Tingle(16), Cock-a-doodle-doo(18), Midheal(22), Zing(24), Insulatle(26), Moreheal(34)

Sage: Heal(2), Zam(2), Squelch(5), Evac(5), Bang(8), Zammle(8), Divine Intervention(13), Midheal(16), Zing(20), Multiheal(24), Boom(27), Kabuff(30), Moreheal(33), Magic Barrier(38), Kazam(43), Kazing(45), Kaboom(48), Kazammle(61), Kaboomle(66), Magic Burst(78)

Luminary: Heal(4), Woosh(11), Bounce(18), Midheal(23), Swoosh(36), Kaswoosh(45), Kaswooshle (58)

Johnlenham said:
Oh... well that's bollocks then. Is there a drops list somewhere for them?

Actually, higher level maps can yield some crazy benefits.

For example, the more famous maps have entire floors that only spawn metal slimes (of all kinds), which makes leveling laughable (you're literally gaining a level+ per battle).

STG

sometimes when I load up the game one of the 3 blue loading slimes is replaced with a she-slime (that orange one)

any one knows why?
something special in-game?

BooJoh

Kinitari said:
Ugh, I feel like I am hitting a road block - I have about 2 dozen maps, and only three of them are over level 25 - I understand there is a link between my level and the level of maps I get (mixed in with a random factor) but It's really hard to level now, LMS's 10-12k xp is like... a fifth of my level requirement, and they are not really frequent enough to give me a big payoff at that rate. I understand higher level grottos will give me enemies that are unique only to grottos, (or at least King metal slimes) - but to get to those grottos, I need to be higher level. feels like a catch 22! To top it off, I can't seem to luck out by obtaining the downloadable quest's required grotto map :(.
It's more luck than level I think. My characters are 99, 99, 99, and 57+1(revocated from 99) and my highest level maps are in the high 70s/low 80s. Basically just keep replaying your highest level maps (preferably ones with good enemies or lots of chests you can naturally get while going from stairs to stairs) and hope for luck, because I still mostly get rewarded with maps in the 50s and 60s while clearing maps in the high 70s.

On the bright side, I've gotten like 6 pieces of metal slime gear from grotto chests, which is like a step below the best stuff. Not to mention Saint's Ashes, Orichalcum, and tons of mini medals.

Water dungeons have the earliest appearance of metal kings. If you see a Barbatos or Genie Sanguini in a water grotto then you'll probably be able to find Metal Kings there.

Vyse The Legend said:
Actually, higher level maps can yield some crazy benefits.

For example, the more famous maps have entire floors that only spawn metal slimes (of all kinds), which makes leveling laughable (you're literally gaining a level+ per battle).
Is this fact or hearsay? I've yet to see any dungeon deviate from the set monster lists that can be found on GameFAQs, and none of those sets are metals-only. In fact, I don't think Metal Kings can even appear on the same floor as any other metals, including Platinum Kings. I feel like Nintendo has almost perpetuated this rumor themselves by saying that the "infamous" Japanese map has all the rarest monsters.

BooJoh said:
Is this fact or hearsay? I've yet to see any dungeon deviate from the set monster lists that can be found on GameFAQs, and none of those sets are metals-only. In fact, I don't think Metal Kings can even appear on the same floor as any other metals, including Platinum Kings. I feel like Nintendo has almost perpetuated this rumor themselves by saying that the "infamous" Japanese map has all the rarest monsters.

I have a map that has a floor of just Liquid Metal Slimes. I got it from someone at the Gamestop event.

Every monster on that floor is a LMS, and there's usually more than one in a fight. However, it's a bit of a trek to get down there (7th floor down; normal baddies are pretty tough at level 40), so I don't do it often.

In short, these infamous maps exist, but they're about as rare as the rare monsters themselves.

Edit: I think I misread your post. Are you asking if there are maps with floors where all metal slime monsters can be found? If so, I haven't heard of any. Just single-type floors -- i.e., all LMS, all MKS, etc.

Koomaster

Today, after lots of grotto crawling I finally unlocked the
Luminary
vocation!! :D

The moai minstrel is hilarious looking, but apparently super-deadly. My first encounter with one, I was taking the quest to hot lick it to death slow, and it ended up pulling a kamikazee, which wiped out 3 of my party members from full health, and my main character had like 7HP left, way in the orange. Had to use a Yggdrasil leaf to revive my sage so she could revive everyone else and heal us back up.

Second encounter didn't go any better, I was facing two at once and was straight up attacking them trying to figure out how much health they had. My thief turned ranger killed one with a critical hit so that ruined figuring out how much HP they had. So I figured the 2nd was low on health and so I started in on Hot Lick with that one when it pulled another kamikazee. Everyone died except my ranger who used evac so we could regroup properly.

Third time though was a charm. I took my own advice from a few posts back and had everyone learn Hot Lick. First round I threw out a Falcon Slash and a Kaboom to weaken it, then the next round had everyone Hot Lick - dead. Quest Completed! :D

YourMaster said:
Getting skill points is quite tedious and there is little reward.

....how is it tedious? You get skill points as you level up, Generally enough to get a new skill every 5 levels or so (And you level up a lot faster in this game then previous DQ games) And the skills provide a lot of reward.

YourMaster said:
You can finish the game with somewhere between 100-200 skill points per character, which isn't enough to get nice builds and the character level has more influence then the acquired skills. Getting more skill points is detrimental to your character level. The only way to benefit is to grind, which isn't everybody's cup of tea.

YourMaster said:
You can finish the game with somewhere between 100-200 skill points per character, which isn't enough to get nice builds

100 Skill points gives you a massive bonus. With 100 bonus points my mage has around 200 extra Magical Might, and several useful boosts in abilities. With 200 skill points she has more MP then I can ever use and regains more each turn. 200 points is more then enough for "nice builds"

YourMaster said:
Getting more skill points is detrimental to your character level.

....how?

Loto

Finished the game, final stats:

Time: 121:39
Defeated Monster List: 74%
Wardrobe Completion: 40%
Item List: 57%
Alchenomicon: 40%
Quests: 57 completed
Accolades: 88

Impressions: Probably the best game I have ever played.

Now on to post game.

Koomaster

PataHikari said:
They are rather crazy, skill points are extremely useful. You can learn so many awesome skills for your vocation and weapon choice, not to mention the boosts you can earn to your base stats. Why would anyone think they are useless/tedius/detrimental? :lol

LMS.jpg

:D

BooJoh

Vyse The Legend said:
I have a map that has a floor of just Liquid Metal Slimes. I got it from someone at the Gamestop event.

Every monster on that floor is a LMS, and there's usually more than one in a fight. However, it's a bit of a trek to get down there (7th floor down; normal baddies are pretty tough at level 40), so I don't do it often.

In short, these infamous maps exist, but they're about as rare as the rare monsters themselves.

Edit: I think I misread your post. Are you asking if there are maps with floors where all metal slime monsters can be found? If so, I haven't heard of any. Just single-type floors -- i.e., all LMS, all MKS, etc.
Wow, I didn't know you could actually get maps like that. Unfortunately I guess the likelihood of one person getting one without using tag mode is pretty slim.

Is the map completely normal up to that point? I have a good 20-30 maps I've never even entered because they're lower levels.

Tiktaalik said:
Vyse is that the famous Masayuki map that you got at the gamestop event?

Nah, it's my understanding that the Masayuki map contains a floor of all Metal King Slimes. This one only has a floor of Liquid Metal Slimes. It's called Steel Path of Bane.

Is the map completely normal up to that point? I have a good 20-30 maps I've never even entered because they're lower levels.

Yes, it's completely normal. Regular, high-level baddies up until the specified floor.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering why hunting Liquid Metal Slimes is awesome:

download.jpg

I only killed 2 of the four.

YourMaster

PataHikari said:
....how is it tedious? You get skill points as you level up, Generally enough to get a new skill every 5 levels or so (And you level up a lot faster in this game then previous DQ games) And the skills provide a lot of reward.

100 Skill points gives you a massive bonus. With 100 bonus points my mage has around 200 extra Magical Might, and several useful boosts in abilities. With 200 skill points she has more MP then I can ever use and regains more each turn. 200 points is more then enough for "nice builds"

....how?

This is basically how you benefit when you ignore the job system, you get some skill points, level up 1 weapon and the class skill, and you're good. The rewards for this are nice off course, but you don't actually get the feeling you thought of a build. It's just the normal process, no creativity here. You can easily finish the game without ever changing vocations.

The tedious part, would be changing vocations and grinding on metal slimes to get more skill points.

How can it be detrimental? When you change your vocation a lot, and don't grind you get more skill points as not changing your vocation at all, but end up with a weaker character when you have to face the final boss at level 35.

Compare this with the job system in FF5, where you change jobs at will and never feel like you have to start over, you just build something up. And in the final part, where you become a freelancer again with your maxed out jobs it feels truly rewarding to get all the stat boosts and the skill synergy.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
YourMaster said:
This is basically how you benefit when you ignore the job system, you get some skill points, level up 1 weapon and the class skill, and you're good. The rewards for this are nice off course, but you don't actually get the feeling you thought of a build. It's just the normal process, no creativity here. You can easily finish the game without ever changing vocations.

The tedious part, would be changing vocations and grinding on metal slimes to get more skill points.

How can it be detrimental? When you change your vocation a lot, and don't grind you get more skill points as not changing your vocation at all, but end up with a weaker character when you have to face the final boss at level 35.

Compare this with the job system in FF5, where you change jobs at will and never feel like you have to start over, you just build something up. And in the final part, where you become a freelancer again with your maxed out jobs it feels truly rewarding to get all the stat boosts and the skill synergy.

Changing vocations and grinding skill points is in no way detrimental, my level 32 main char (paladin) took the least damage from bosses, and in some ways did the most damage to bosses, more so than my level 46 characters. By grinding to level 20-25 (takes very little time) on a character you'll never use (priest and priest bonuses are useless for my mains build), you can get 30-40 skill points, invest that into something like... monk, or barbarian and you can get useful skills (double up, psyche up etc) and useful bonuses to your stats (agi+30/resilience+30 etc). Or you can just save the points and push one particular tree to 100 very quickly. In general, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

YourMaster said:

...then don't.

The EXP scaling in this game is such that, with semi-up to date gear a low leveled character can quickly catch up.

YourMaster said:

You seem to be under the impression that chaging jobs in this game is "starting over"

This is wrong.

The only difference between this game and the set up you discribed in FFV is that there's no "freelancer" class.

Aeana

I get what YourMaster is saying, and he has a point in theory, but what PataHikari said is right. It's actually a waste of time to never change your vocation because of the way the experience curve in the game works. I changed classes a few times, but never once did any grinding. Everybody caught up naturally and my levels all evened out at the end of the game.

As for the FF5 comparison... the reason why freelancer feels rewarding is because you finally get all of the passive stat boosts. In DQ9, you get them immediately.

Koomaster

Omg, the
Luminary
coup de grace is FANTASTIC! :lol

I wish it were something I could just cast over and over again just to see it!

Top Bottom