• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

Spyxos

Gold Member
I've seen much worse.....

Map_Upgrade_-_Chests_Location_PhonQi_Caverns_Map.png
I found the map in Jedi Survival much better. The one in Dragons Dogma is just annoying to use.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Anyone notice how blurry the character is in the inventory and store menus?
It's more like it renders at horrible resolution without AA whatsoever.
Man, I'll mod this game to death at one point cuz it sure as hell needs it.

Last edited:
Made it to Lothlórien, I mean Sacred arbor:
aFrNfxM.jpeg

Looking For GIF by Rick and Morty

Trek over there was pretty cool, found a little camp settlement with enemies, pawn lured them over to water and I just kept feeding them to the brine with dire arrows lol, then there was a basement with like 20 grand in it, but it was guarded by a sneaky assassin; killed him pretty easily though.
Spotted a drake and noped out of there and then I decided to take a little ox cart ride to the next checkpoint.
In fact I was typing this post until a griffin decided to have to ox for lunch and just crashed and destroyed the entire car lol
Oh My God Omg GIF by MOODMAN

Epic battle ensued but only to live as one pawn said "we better think about getting out of here, IF WE WANT LIVE!", my pawn responded with "hmm, I'll think about it" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
So decided to fight it as long as I could, glad I made my pawn warrior because she kept everyone alive and just facetanked the griffin, though another oxcart showed up and the griffin immediately destroyed it as well; set it on fire and the epic DD victory music started playing, managed to deplete one health bar after that and it ran off like a little bitch.

Time to head back to vermund

edit:
oh I also saw a wild 5 way battle between goblins, wolves, saurians, harpies and slimes lol.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Man, I’m itching to play this game! Stupid work! I guess FF7 will take a backseat for this one.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Played for a few hours and the opening was quite pleasant. Definitely is an improvement in the story-telling department from the first game.

Still only scratching the surface and I can see myself spending hundreds of hours in this. Loving it!

I think I should wait for few patches. I have the game on Xbox but I'll shift my attention to Rise of Ronin after I've completed FF 7 Rebirth.

Why did they make the pick up button the same as the sprint button? Madness.
The only thing I really HATE is how they made the button for picking stuff up be the same as the one for running. Makes me run like a tard more often than not without wamting to.
Nothing beats Final Fantasy XV, where pick up and jump were the same button.

Did you play the first one?
Fair question. I should have learned my lesson. I am a few hours in and it feels exactly like the first game; a game which I didn't particularly enjoy. I'm just not having "fun". I had more fun earlier today playing on my N64. This just feels like an MMO where I follow around party members who have already played the game. Combat feels random, no idea who is doing what to whom. Again, exactly as in the first game.

This just makes me want Monster Hunter even more.

Played for a few hours and the opening was quite pleasant. Definitely is an improvement in the story-telling department from the first game.
Funny that you say this. I am repeatedly thinking how immersive the first game is. This feels disjointed.

In the first game, you are in a fishing village that comes under attack. You end up losing your heart, but are brought back to life; hence "arisen". You are then gently introduced to the camp, and the concept of pawns, etc.

In the second game, it feels like more of a second thought. Oh, a dragon randomly chose you as an arisen, whatever that is, and now you suddenly can control pawns etc, with no explanation... and it's shown as a flashback.

It felt far more organic and immersive in the first game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This just feels like an MMO where I follow around party members who have already played the game. Combat feels random, no idea who is doing what to whom. Again, exactly as in the first game.

I tossed a character from my party who kept trying to lead me to quests. Game got leagues better after.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Why did they make the pick up button the same as the sprint button? Madness.

That is one of the first things I changed. In the options you can make it examine/pickup only. I use the left stick click to sprint as it's also sprint by default.

SCB3

What is with the random black people everywhere, in this clearly Medieval European inspired world. Taking me out of the experience a bit.
Sorry are you expecting realism from a game with fucking Dragons in? This isn't Kingdom Come

So how is the game on PS5? I'm considering grabbing it and Rise of Ronin tomorrow now I'm pretty much done with FF7 for now

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The clouds are insanely bad. Which is odd since they have fantastic volumetric fog in the world and from open fire.
These are no clouds, dude, it's just extremely compressed, blurry and stretched af JPEG :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You wanna see some clouds (yeah, I know, unfair comparison, but still)?

nlt1N4i.jpeg

And this game runs at 4K 60 FPS on PC while looking way better. The saddest thing about all this is that I don't think there's a way to make a dynamic skybox in the game, only much higher quality JPEG via mods for each state of the day. Furthermore, it makes Photo Mode completely useless right now cuz you can't take great shots and not include the skybox (during the day time, I haven't checked at night how it looks), not to mention there's no way to raise and lower the camera (What?! How is this not an option in Photo Mode?) and you can only tilt it at an angle like during gameplay.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Anyone actually using the "superior weapons" set? I always avoid using these preorder boosts as I want the pure experience of earning my way. The shop where I acquired my PS5 copy just sent me a code, but I'm hesitant to use it. I see it just puts the items in your chest, so you aren't forced to use them. I'll probably just save the code in case I decide to sell the game someday.

I used them for like an hour before finding better. They are barely a boost. They mostly just look a bit better.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I turned off DLSS, maxed out sharpness (because everything seemed blurry), left RT on, still running 4K. So far, what I'm seeing is that none of the stuff that usually improves frame rate is actually improving frame rate. Doesn't do any harm turning it off either. So I'm going for best image quality until they patch this stuff as it doesn't make sense not to at this point.

I'm loving the image and frame rate right now at 1440p but I may try this. Maybe raytracing off and 4k on will look even better.

WorldHero

You could see the performance issues in the trailers they released, especially combat sections. Not sure why this came as a surprise…

Not actually true, at all.
What isn't? Human race?
Take it up with the global scientific community if you disagree, there isn't a reputable scientist alive that would support something as silly as races amongst humans.
But I digress, go mewl about something as idiotic as not having a segregated fantasy world to play in somewhere else.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Okay, I think modders can try and fix all the obvious and terrible stuff in this game visually at some point. After playing the game though for a few hours and after finishing the first one on the PS3, I can safely say that 2024 game is more of a reimagining of the original idea (which was very compromised and barely realized on the PS3/X360 due to insane hardware limitations) and at the same time complete remake with expanded and grander ideas, various mechanics, world etc. not to mention god-like character creator and the fact that in the game your character and pawn looks amazing (unless of course you've made a complete abomination :messenger_tears_of_joy:)!
x9fu7ed.jpeg

m25bi2S.jpeg
Man, original game was junky af, but I loved it to death cuz there was no game like it, until 2024's game came out with much better almost everything. It's going to be a pain in the butt to play it with these technical and visual shortcomings for a while though, performance as well nowhere near where it realistically should be. But I'll continue playing anyway, cuz it's not gonna last forever and will be eventually fixed.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about these new Broken Riftstone Pawns you can get in the open world, high level, good quest knowledge and they are free!? I'm obviously going to use them, but it's also clearly affecting the pawn rental system, I haven't hired any player made pawns and nobody has hired my pawn either, so I'm having mixed feeling about this for now.

I haven't hired any player made pawns and nobody has hired my pawn either, so I'm having mixed feeling about this for now.
You outlevel them pretty rapidly though, there's no point in keeping a low level pawn with you that's just going to die in one hit; at the start of the game it's best to just rotate your pawns every few level ups.

Dynasty8

Just to confirm about dying...when you get the game over screen and choose "Load from Last Save", your Health "Loss" bar gets reduced more and more each time, right?

I keep restarting from my last save point from fighting the ogre and noticed this. Any other way to prevent this or do I have to rest at an inn or camp when it gets too low every time?

sigmaZ

Welp. Played it just under two hours and refunded. It ran fine. Controls well, graphics are decent enough, but it's just not my kind of game. I'm happy though as it gives me some breathing room until next month and the insane number of good games coming out.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
All the pawns I see walking around seem to be from Capcom, while the ones I see on the rift are from other players. Wonder what's up with that.

What class uses that staff that reminds me of Darth Maul? I saw it can like air glide to the top of an enemy.
Mystic Spearhand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom