• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

Started with a hot sorc of course who wouldnt be out of place as a love interest for Geralt, really like the simple side questing in the beginning camp area. Ease you into the game pretty well.

Topher

Gold Member
Battles at night are pretty awesome

u9tuUZ9.jpeg

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Pawn mentions a chest out of reach, I look at it, yep that's out of reach.
Other pawn says she can get it, I press 'go', bitch proceeds to parkour up a ledge and levitates to the chest like it ain't shit.
Animated GIF

I also love that if you have a fighter in the group who has the ladder toss skill or whatever it's called, and you press up, he will go to where you want to reach and prepare to throw you up there. So many cool things in the game.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just got to Vernworth. Frame rate is all over the place here.

Also while in Vernworth I'm getting weird ghosting around my character. Easily visible when panning the camera around.

Having a blast though. I'm level 10 now and explored a few paths off the main trail. Definitely more stuff I need to come back to and explore.

Exentryk

Funny that you say this. I am repeatedly thinking how immersive the first game is. This feels disjointed.

In the first game, you are in a fishing village that comes under attack. You end up losing your heart, but are brought back to life; hence "arisen". You are then gently introduced to the camp, and the concept of pawns, etc.

In the second game, it feels like more of a second thought. Oh, a dragon randomly chose you as an arisen, whatever that is, and now you suddenly can control pawns etc, with no explanation... and it's shown as a flashback.

It felt far more organic and immersive in the first game.

Yeah, I agree the story feels a little disjointed. But the story-telling (cutscenes, dialogue, delivery, etc) overall just feels better than the first game.

Pawn 1: this looks like a nice place to camp, so long as there aren't any
Pawn 2: WOLVES MASTER!

Had my pawns kill an ogre by themselves, one of them made it stumble and said "one more hit should knock it over" and then another pawn picked up a rock and lobbed it at its head, knocking it out and triggering the victory music lmao; it was beautiful.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
On early game, there is an oxcart mission to travel from Vernworth to Melve. The cart got stuck and seems bugged so I went back to Vernworth on foot. I wait for the cart to reappear but never does. I now can't seem to spawn that oxcart again.

Playing on series X and I think it looks great. Frame rate dips aren’t common but they are happening.

Gameplay is like the first Dragon’s Dogma but combat is far more engaging.

I’m digging the game and am very happy with my purchase. DD2 should hold me over till June

TheKratos

Digging the game. Definitely ain't perfect.

Janky ass combat, I expected much more from Capcom, love their melee combat usually but something feels odd with DD2.

Not a big fan of the mission structure either, I have yet to get the sense of a big adventure/journey (do NOT expect Witcher type of quests). Too many fetch quests and everytime you think you are done there is this "oh can you one more thing", jackass NPC's using the Arisen as their fetch dog. Hoping this changes but I have my doubt, I think CC simply lacks the experience in open world games.

Also, fuck harpies. Anyway, solid 7.5 game so far.

Such a great change of pace game for me. I have been pretty much solely playing playing Nioh 1/2 and Helldivers the past few months. With DD2, i am relaxed and completely immersed in this world. Really having fun just going off the beaten path and exploring, avoiding main missions. There seems to be so much content too. No way I don't put at least 100 hours on my first playthrough

Kacho

Gold Member
What are the exclamation points on the mini map? I keep seeing them but never find anything.
Unlike many of the map icons in Dragon's Dogma 2, exclamation points do not mark a single type of object. Instead, exclamation marks appear when a pawn comments on something in the environment, be it a ladder, an item to be read, a Seeker's Coin, or something else entirely. Fortunately, a pawn's comments will typically provide specificity about what they have seen, allowing players to get an immediate understanding of what they should be searching for in the area.

That is not always the case, though, and Dragon's Dogma 2 players may occasionally feel as though an exclamation point is not marking anything in particular. In those situations, it is likely that the mark is designating a Seeker's Coin, a small circular item with a tendency to blend in with geographical and architectural features, or a destructible object, like a broken-down ox cart or box. Notably, the associated exclamation mark will disappear once the Seeker's Coin is collected or the indicated object is destroyed, and players should feel free to continue their adventuring once that occurs.

Educate Yourself Shooting Star GIF

phant0m

Played for ten minutes. Feels awful, looks mid, and doesn't run all that good on PS5. Such a shame.

I'm having a great time exploring in this game. Combat feels great. Had a mouthy pawn though so I had to toss him in the lake.

Pretty solid 60fps with the 3080. I'm sure the city will crush it, but w/e.

PS5 framerate has been surprisingly decent so far. I think it’s fucking gorgeous. Leave it to the Japs to nail that western take on dark fantasy nowadays. Between this and Souls they have it so down 🙌🏻

MzKaDae.jpg

Ah, the dichotomy of man.

Still waiting for gameslop to deliver my disc copy on Monday. Preorder physical they said!

The griffin battle is so much more epic in this game than the first one; just beat one for the first time and it might've been the most intense epic battle I've had, maybe ever?
Not gonna spoil it, because when you experience it for the first time it might blow your mind lol.

I'd say so far it's already one of the best games I've ever played. I can see why people could hate it but I love the combat, love the lack of hand holding, love the rewards you get by exploring, love the randomness of stuff (oh you want to do this low level fetch quest? How about if we drop a drake in the middle of it and fuck up your wakestone collection!).

It is one of the few games where it's not just open world for the sake of being open world - you are dropped into this world and have to figure it out yourself by exploring. Like Elden Ring or BG3 there are big areas that some people just won't see as the game doesn't take you there but you have to find them yourself - personally I love stuff like this. It already feels much more fleshed out than the first game.

Despite complaints about the story in some reviews I watched it seems pretty good so far too.

I gotta say though if the CPU issues are really due to the NPC scheduling then they have massively over engineered this area with very little benefit to the player. Sure you can follow people around and talk to random NPCs (most of whom have little to say) but when they are phasing in and out of existence 3m in front of you and when the game is dropping to 20fps on console and it stuttering even on the best PC CPUs the cost is too high. As much as I complain about NPCs being no clip or rooted to the ground in Sony open world games there has to be a middle ground that isn't destroying CPU performance.

R6Rider

Gold Member
For anyone playing on PC: Change your DD2 priority to High in Task Manager.

You could see some FPS gains. This normally doesn't work for games, but in this case give it a shot.

Also, don't have the shadows setting set to max.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Game starts very slow and dull. Played about 4 hours, fighter to lvl 9. Super easy so far, I could probably do nothing during fights and my party would kill everone easily. Nothing weird or unexpected has happened so far. Not a great first impression, hoping this gets more fun.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
The griffin battle is so much more epic in this game than the first one; just beat one for the first time and it might've been the most intense epic battle I've had, maybe ever?
Not gonna spoil it, because when you experience it for the first time it might blow your mind lol.

I mean, I would have but he fled when there was like 2 inches of life left. I ran after him but a troll took my main pawn the opposite direction lol. It was super epic though, I paused and used photo mode many times during it.

Lux R7

a wonderful little detail: when it rains, the streets get wet and you can see puddles everywhere. And the sound of the rain dripping from the roofs of the houses... just perfect

GymWolf

Gold Member
Can i change the face of my main pawn? She has a killer body but the face came out a little sus from certain angles...

GymWolf

Gold Member
If I swap out one of my pawns for a new one does the gear they have carry over or do i have to manually sort it?
Every hired pawn has is its own equipmemt.

But maybe i misunderstood the question.

If you speak about items, they transfer to your mail box at the inn.

Last edited:
A tip: increasing the camera sensitivity by one tick and the camera distance by 5 or 6 has really improved how the game feels and plays. Specially the later, don't know how they thought having the camera so close by default was a good idea.

Btw... I keep pressing all the buttons, but I can't kiss Ulrika. Is this a bug or what?

Pulling the camera back is a must. Default is disgusting.

Every hired pawn has is its own equipmemt.

But maybe i misunderstood the question.

If you speak about items, they transfer to your mail box at the inn.
Sorry yes I meant items. Things that maybe I transferred to them for eg food or crafting stuff. Cool if they go direct to the mailbox!

nemiroff

Gold Member
I was very wary of DD2 because I disliked Enshrouded, another recent game that was supposed to be great (tried to enjoy it several times ). And get this: I disliked the experience of DD1.. AND, I saw a review saying the game needs 20 hours to be really special.

..But then what happened is that I really like DD2 already after only 3 hours or so, lol.

Top Bottom