• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

wbacon

Capcom USA
Sweet! Can you also look into putting in a timer for the load screens with story text? I'm playing on an SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) and all of the intro story text flashed by before I got past the first line.

I hear the screenshot feature works pretty well (^^) j/k

The game loads stupendously fast and scales very well on SSDs compared to mechanical drives. Unfortunately, touching critical code (such as data I/O) that's fundamental to all aspects of the game is probably out of the question as it may introduce new bugs.

Cyrano

I hear the screenshot feature works pretty well (^^) j/k

The game loads stupendously fast and scles very well on SSDs compared to mechanical drives. Unfortunately, touching critical code (such as data I/O) that's fundamental to all aspects of the game is probably out of the question as it may introduce new bugs.
I'm also using an SSD (think it might even be the same model?) and haven't noticed the issue of the game loading past critical text or events unless I was manually advancing it.

And yeah, boy do SSDs make this game load fast.

garath

Yeah, that would be nice too. Though you can always Alt+F4.

Meh. Then you have to save and continue then alt-f4. Still more cumbersome than a simple save and quit to desktop.

Better though.

Anyone with an Nvidia card have any luck with downscaling?
The game does not see the higher resolutions created by the Nvidia driver.

I had seen this in the past, and set the windows desktop res to the desired resolution before starting it, but that does not work here either.

I haven't had any issues with the game seeing my higher downsampled resolutions. Only keeping them. Make sure its the general page that has the downsample multipliers set and not a game specific one in the nvidia control panel. There is no game page for DD that I can see in the panel.

I see the higher resolutions in the video settings in DD no problems but if I go back to it after restarting the game it shows a lower resolution. I'm not sure if it really is a lower resolution or it's really my 4k but just defaults to lower if I go into the settings so I just ignore it now. It looks like 4k so I'm happy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
shadow fort quest was sweet. its a travesty that this duke thing only requires 2 of the wyrm quests, missing out on the others (if one does) is a crying shame

Baalzebup

shadow fort quest was sweet. its a travesty that this duke thing only requires 2 of the wyrm quests, missing out on the others (if one does) is a crying shame

Players choice. They only time I've ever skipped on any of them was when I was doing the speedrun mode. It's not like you have to skip the others if you don't want to.

Lanrutcon

Magic Archers are terrible.

I gave it a fair shot, but seriously: moment you get to a boss you might as well break out a good book because 99% of their skills are useless. Then you have go back to Thousand Kisses and Strider/Assassins have better versions. Richochette Bolt is amazing, but it's the only good skill they have and it only works in small rooms.

Trying to kill a Condemned Gorecyclops with a Magic Archer was the most painful thing I've ever had to do in this game. Never again.

giphy.gif

DaciaJC

Gold Member
is there really a reason to play at /fear the night when you can infinitely port back to town and rest and port back again?
I feel the endless ferrystone broke a quite interesting mechanic in this game

Not really, that's why I play with a certain house rule: can't use the ferrystone unless my party and I are physically standing near/in a portcrystal. I've only found one portcrystal and I put that near the Witchwood, so any quest taking me to the Greatwall or Shadow Fort can leave me pretty vulnerable at night.

Cyrano

I gave it a fair shot, but seriously: moment you get to a boss you might as well break out a good book because 99% of their skills are useless. Then you have go back to Thousand Kisses and Strider/Assassins have better versions. Richochette Bolt is amazing, but it's the only good skill they have and it only works in small rooms.

Trying to kill a Condemned Gorecyclops with a Magic Archer was the most painful thing I've ever had to do in this game. Never again.
Magick Archers are the most mobile characters in the game (Sunflare allows for sequence breaks) and one of their abilities makes you and your party invulnerable to damage. Which maybe won't seem all that important until BBI but it's definitely significant.

Dude magick archers sixfold/ninefold bolt is one of the best skills to use again condemned gorecyclops, they are weak to ice.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
there was a tunnel in
shadow fort
that seemed to lead to some goblin...place (it even gave a achievement), but I didnt persue it because I was in the middle of doing the
fort ques
t. Is that zone it leads to optional or you eventually go there?

I really should have left a portstone at the fort ffs >_>

Dude magick archers sixfold/ninefold bolt is one of the best skills to use again condemned gorecyclops, they are weak to ice.

this. I dunno what the fuck that dude is talking about, I destroy ogres. And Richochet works in big rooms too, not just small rooms. It only really doesnt work in outside areas. Hell I was bouncing shots between the castle walls in Shadow Fort and it worked

Later. And yeah, you really should put a portstone there.

son oif a bitch I knew it. You even get one there >_<

there was a tunnel in
shadow fort
that seemed to lead to some goblin...place (it even gave a achievement), but I didnt persue it because I was in the middle of doing the
fort ques

Later. And yeah, you really should put a portstone there.

SilentRob

there was a tunnel in
shadow fort
fort ques

A quest from the quest board in the Pawn Guild in Grand Soren leads you back there.

Cyrano

Yeah, the folded bolt spell is one of the best against single targets in the game. Especially useful in bringing down dragonkin.
this. I dunno what the fuck that dude is talking about, I destroy ogres. And Richochet works in big rooms too, not just small rooms. It only really doesnt work in outside areas. Hell I was bouncing shots between the castle walls in Shadow Fort and it worked
Ricochet can even work outside if you get creative about... well, "walls" so to speak. Angle the shot toward the ground and between rocks or outcroppings. It will use those as walls and while you won't get as many bounces as while inside, 3-4 is often enough for many outside enemies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I haven't had any issues with the game seeing my higher downsampled resolutions. Only keeping them. Make sure its the general page that has the downsample multipliers set and not a game specific one in the nvidia control panel. There is no game page for DD that I can see in the panel.

I see the higher resolutions in the video settings in DD no problems but if I go back to it after restarting the game it shows a lower resolution. I'm not sure if it really is a lower resolution or it's really my 4k but just defaults to lower if I go into the settings so I just ignore it now. It looks like 4k so I'm happy.

Thanks for the reply. I do have everything set right, as I use the global setting by default.
At least FXAA4HQ does not look terrible. I wish it has MLAA or something.

fr0st

Banned

Get ninefold not bruh. And a better bow.

Admodieus

Did the
Griffin quest/fight
today, really awesome setpiece. Being a Magic Archer with explosive bolt made short work of him.

Only problems I've had in this game so far are with Golems. I need to climb on them and use my daggers to damage them, but it just takes forever to kill them with my relatively lower strength and stamina running out.

Vuze

I can certainly ask. Might be a bit more challenging as that'd require some UI tweak in the options menu. It may also have unintended knock-on effects depending on whether you're using an XInput or DInput controller. Either way, no promises but I'll bring it up to the dev team.
Thank you, much appreciated!
That would be rad, I never use the pawn commands.
Or alternately it would be cool if RB/RT/LB/LT could be used as a modifier for the dpad. As in, normally dpad is pawn commands, but with the modifier it would be item hotkeys.

That would be super duper.
Woah, that would be perfect indeed! Though probably better to use items as default and pawn commands with the modifier.

Soodanim

Outside of one enemy who's immune to magic bolts, Magick Archers become the most OP, high DPS class in the game. Immolate + Thousand Kisses and Ninefold Bolt + a magic buff move will destroy everything you come across.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't seem to remember her offering the service while you're at the pier and talking to her is what leads to going to BBI, so I'm not sure why you replied to my comment, since you're basically just repeating what I said with different wording.

Whoops, BBI is that place. I'm terrible with Acronyms.

Did the
Griffin quest/fight
today, really awesome setpiece. Being a Magic Archer with explosive bolt made short work of him.

Only problems I've had in this game so far are with Golems. I need to climb on them and use my daggers to damage them, but it just takes forever to kill them with my relatively lower strength and stamina running out.

you are probably carrying way to much items (your daggers suck , aka they need to be upgraded), if you run out of stamina from climbing there are items that restore stamina.
Also jump and climb, don't just start climbing from the foot. There are ways to climb straight to their face when they do certain moves or if you are close to a high leveled rock.
Also if you continue to attack on of their legs they will eventually stumble and let you hit them on the face.

Lanrutcon

I'll go give that a try then. Went in with Hunter, Explosive and Richochette. Going to dump Hunter because it can't hit shit anyway.

bati

What's the best use for Gold Idol if you're playing physical damage focused classes?

On a related note, fuck Symone.

Well this sucks. Online suddenly broke for me. Loading my save leads to an endless "Accessing Server" loop unless I disable Online from the options beforehand.

However, there is a silver lining: there are no more loli pawns walking around in my game.

Edit: fixed by resetting pawn data with Sectus' console save tool

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What's the best use for Gold Idol if you're playing physical damage focused classes?

Caxton, definitely.

Giving the idol to Madeleine is only worthwhile if you are playing a) female characters and b) magic-oriented ones.

And yes fuck Symone lol.

jonjonaug

Give it to the blacksmith, give silver/bronze idol to Madeline.

Keep in mind that having an idol in your inventory lowers shop prices. What you want to do is make a forgery of it, then give the original to the shopkeep of your choice (giving the forgery won't expand their inventory). Keeping the forged gold idol in your inventory will still give you the discount.

Top Bottom