• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DrDisrespect permanently banned from Twitch [Now Streaming on YouTube]

Meicyn

Gold Member
America is cooked lol. People are arguing they have the right to ban you for saying something that goes against the narrative that they try to push. So basically there is no free speech, but it is enforced by your workplace instead of the government, got it, nice corporate dystopia you got there.

Americans are so deep into it, they dont even realize they are in a dystopia, they try to justify it cause private corpos. My dudes, private corpors are running america, so basically you cant say shit unless it aligns with them, how THE FUCK is that free speech.
You are entitled to speak your mind, but you are not entitled to the widespread broadcast of your speech, whether that be a microphone, a social media account, or even an internet forum.

Red5

America is cooked lol. People are arguing they have the right to ban you for saying something that goes against the narrative that they try to push. So basically there is no free speech, but it is enforced by your workplace instead of the government, got it, nice corporate dystopia you got there.

Americans are so deep into it, they dont even realize they are in a dystopia, they try to justify it cause private corpos. My dudes, private corpors are running america, so basically you cant say shit unless it aligns with them, how THE FUCK is that free speech.

Freedom of speech is guaranteed by the government, Twitch and Neogaf are not public or government utilities, the owner of this site can ban you for just not liking your profile pic, that's how private property/business work.

You should see how he used the word cunt the other day.
Mad Season 12 GIF by The Bachelorette

That's him. Just 100 lbs fatter and in a basement.

YuLY

Freedom of speech is guaranteed by the government, Twitch and Neogaf are not public or government utilities, the owner of this site can ban you for just not liking your profile pic, that's how private property/business work.
I realize this...what I'm arguing is that for monopolies, this should be illegal and agencies should be put in place to protect the freedom of speech as long as it doesnt incite to violence etc. Saying a fucking slur should not get you fired from your workplace and put your family in danger. As a business monopoly you can reap the rewards of being the biggest in your domain, but you also need to have new responsibilities now.

Imagine if Google and Apple suddenly decided they dont like you and specifically blocked you from any phone device that use Android or iOS, what the hell would you do? not use a smartphone in 2024? Insane. This is what I'm arguing, for monopolies there should be laws against letting them do whatever they want, yes including freedom of speech, again within moral limits like calling for violence (actual one not clear jokes).

I realize this...what I'm arguing is that for monopolies, this should be illegal and agencies should be put in place to protect the freedom of speech as long as it doesnt incite to violence etc. Saying a fucking slur should not get you fired from your workplace and put your family in danger. As a business monopoly you can reap the rewards of being the biggest in your domain, but you also need to have new responsibilities now.

Imagine if Google and Apple suddenly decided they dont like you and specifically blocked you from any phone device that use Android or iOS, what the hell would you do? not use a smartphone in 2024? Insane. This is what I'm arguing, for monopolies there should be laws against letting them do whatever they want, yes including freedom of speech, again within moral limits like calling for violence (actual one not clear jokes).
Don't see why not. If someone makes a right fool of themselves and the employer doesn't want to be associated with them, then it's their right to terminate their agreement with said individual. You speak of some sort of horrible situation where people are at the mercy of monopolies with limitless power, but you're setting up a potentially more horrible one. It would be far more dystopian if the government (via laws) forced employers to have to continue employing and paying someone that was an absolutely irredeemable tosser.

You seem to have a problem with monopolies. That's fair. They suck. The freedom of speech thing here is you just looking at a worst case scenario that comes as a result of "too big too fail" monopolies, but you ignore the reverse side of the coin. That being a fascistic government telling private industry that they must provide a platform to things they disagree with. That would be what we call "compelled speech." Which is a big no no for the whole freedom of speech deal. The government can not punish what you choose to say (within reason), but it also can't force you to speak.

Sethbacca

Forcing a company to host content that goes against their interests on their platform would be the actual 1st amendment violation. Nobody is owed a platform on a private company's website. There are literally tons of sites that you could go to and say whatever you want, the reason people go to these larger platforms is because of the reach. It's not so much a monopoly as a means of expediently reaching the most users possible with your content. To go on these sites they all have to agree to the same TOS as the rest of us, that's just life.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

There are actually laws in the US guaranteeing access to utilities hence the infamous “Obama Phone.”

If an Apple or Google started denying access to smart phones (which isn’t a thing BTW lol) you might have a point and people might do something about that.

Being able to stream yourself on the internet for profit isn’t anywhere near having access to a smart phone. That’s not a freedom of speech issue at all.

Last edited:

Pop

I don't know what lead him to so many bad decisions. Probably a feeling of invincibility because of fame and success. He surely used to be a better person. What a tragedy..

Hes actually a dumbass

He has no critical thinking. Certified Retard

danklord

Gold Member
I have never met a streamer who is a good person.

Defending them on legal technicalities says more about your moral compass than making a coherent argument about what's right and wrong.

The contradiction of these platforms allowing sexualized content but banning no-no words isn't a question of constitutional rights. The contradiction exposes there's no true moral fabric, what they are is clear: profitable hubs of exploitation, sexual or otherwise, for minors.

If Nickmercs was really about his position he'd walk away from Twitch immediately. Intentional or not, he's profiteering off exploiting the mental energy of impressionable youths and guiding them towards a mentality that's compatible with his. Because it makes him more money.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

Confused Tilda Swinton GIF by reactionseditor

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

I read this in Johnny Silverhand's voice

peek

He can say it all he wants and not get arrested, that’s what free speech is.
Akkshhluly...

Free speech is simply just an idea, a principle.

It doesnt have to do anything with being arrested or not. You can have a platform that goes all in on free speech principles or not. Its just so many people automically associate the term "free speech" with the 1st ammendment, so the government/being arrested always comes up.

🤓

IntentionalPun

Akkshhluly...

Free speech is simply just an idea, a principle.

It doesnt have to do anything with being arrested or not. You can have a platform that goes all in on free speech principles or not. Its just so many people automically associate the term "free speech" with the 1st ammendment, so the government/being arrested always comes up.

🤓
Sure but when someone refers the concept of “I thought America has free speach” it’s pretty hard not to correlate that with our constitution.

There’s pretty much no platform other than shit like 4chan that even comes close anyways.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
You said the age of consent is the age of consent. Well what about in countries where the age of consent is even lower than England? Do you feel the same way or is it disgusting?
Thats not what we were talking about. A poster said something along the lines of "16 is the age of consent but you cant sext any one under the age of 18" to which I replied " the age of consent is the age of consent."

But if you want to quote me out of context to fit your agenda and can't be arsed reading the thread then fill your boots.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I realize this...what I'm arguing is that for monopolies, this should be illegal and agencies should be put in place to protect the freedom of speech as long as it doesnt incite to violence etc. Saying a fucking slur should not get you fired from your workplace and put your family in danger.
These two statements dont jive. Using slurs at work creates a hostile working environment, which could lead to violence. Plus its more than likely being used in a harassing manner.

Furthermore, as a representative of a company, your speech represents the companys speech while on their time. They are paying you to act and conduct yourself in a certain way, and that usually means being professional.

near

Gold Member
I’m bored and decided to put together a timeline of events leading up to Cody Conners tweet, based on things we know to be true and some associated rumours. Cody Conners said “He was trying to meet up with her at TwitchCon. The powers that be could read in plain text.” We also have Doc’s statement which suggests the whispers took place in 2017. So let’s start the timeline from there:

Twitch Con - (Oct 20, 2017):

There isn’t much I found online during this period that can be linked to current events. The only thing which might be loosely related is the rumoured lady that Doc was seen with on a night out during Twitch Con. The woman who was identified as Cray, a Twitch streamer. Other than being seen together and a few strange tweets between them, there really is nothing concrete, just pure speculation from the internet.

Doc’s admits to cheating on wife & announces his taking break from streaming - (Dec 15, 2017):

Doc returns to streaming following he’s infidelity announcement - (Feb 18, 2018):

“I have like a 5 page essay that I wrote, that really outlines it, but I didn’t memorise it. So that’s all I can say about the Champions Club. I will probably sleep in my waterbed tonight next to Mrs. Assassin, and we’ll talk about in detail the specifics of the Champions Club and what that entails.”

Here Doc makes it clear that he and the wife are still together and obviously repairing their relationship.

5 years later, they’re still together:

Doc temporarily banned from Twitch for filming in bathroom - (June 11, 2019):

The infamous bathroom ban took place at E3, the ban only lasted 2 weeks and Doc’s channel was reinstated.

Doc signs new Twitch contract - (March 12, 2020):

In order to retain Doc while other streamers were being courted by Mixer only a year prior, Twitch offered Doc a healthy contract and he took it. He announced it with this high production tweet:

Doc is permanently banned from Twitch - (June 26, 2020):

Doc is permanently banned from Twitch. Slasher claimed to know why Doc was banned and refrained from discussing due to the “importance and sensitivity around the subject”. Twitch’s only statement: “As is our process, we take appropriate action when we have evidence that a streamer has acted in violation of our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service. These apply to all streamers regardless of status or prominence in the community.”

The Doc himself however, claimed to not have a clue on the specifics of the ban.

Cray (the rumoured mistress) 3 days before Doc gets banned:

I only find this interesting because this was during a period where the MeToo movement was making its way through Twitch and its streamers, a lot of people were getting outed. Her statement is likely unrelated to Doc. It would be wild though if she was actually a minor back then, I cannot verify her age. But I doubt she was underage when she was out with Doc at Twitch Con 2017.

Doc returns to streaming but on YouTube - (Aug 7, 2020):

Neither YouTube or Facebook wanted to give Doc any sort of partnership deals according to Slasher.

https://x.com/DrDisrespect/status/1291487315861204992

Doc claims to know why he was banned and states he is suing Twitch - (Aug 24, 2021):

Doc announces outcome of lawsuit regarding ban - (March 10, 2022):

Doc statement: “I have resolved my legal dispute with Twitch. No party admits to any wrongdoing.”

Twitch statement: "Dr Disrespect and Twitch have resolved their legal dispute. No party admits to any wrongdoing."

Former Twitch employee states Doc was banned for sexting a minor - (June 22, 2024):

And so this is where the madness ensues:

TheUsual

Gold Member
SqcanbZ.jpeg

Have to do a little trolling after seeing this 😆
For real, this situation spiraled out of control fast and we're still at allegations?

Clarification at allegations: on what he and the minor talked about exactly.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Lil bro , tranny aint an illegal word lol, ofc he aint getting arrested. We are talking here about 2 major platforms deciding to ban people because it doesnt fit their narrative. There comes a point when monopolies need to show restraint with this, isnt this the same problem when woke twitter pre-Musk, banned Trump who was active president of the most powerful nation in the world, just cause it didnt fit their narrative ?

That "private company" thing shouldnt work anymore lil bro, this is a new world, wake up. You cant just ban someone cause you dont like them, if they didnt do anything illegal, especially when you have a monopoly, it literally is Twitch and Youtube, kick is a joke a gambling den.
Someday people will learn freedom of speech does not mean speech with no consequences.

Having freedom of speech does not mean others have to give you a platform to broadcast that speech. One person's rights do not trump someone else's even if that someone else is a company. I mean....if you think about it you are basically saying a forum like NeoGAF should not be allowed to ban users. Doesn't work that way.
The problem is these platforms are big enough to influence things like elections. They might be the primary if not the only sources of information of large portions of the masses. When we basically have oligopolies, that's is no good. I won't go into details, as this involves politics, but that's where this leads to.
You seem to have a problem with monopolies. That's fair. They suck. The freedom of speech thing here is you just looking at a worst case scenario that comes as a result of "too big too fail" monopolies, but you ignore the reverse side of the coin. That being a fascistic government telling private industry that they must provide a platform to things they disagree with. That would be what we call "compelled speech." Which is a big no no for the whole freedom of speech deal. The government can not punish what you choose to say (within reason), but it also can't force you to speak.
These companies have special protections by law that gives them immunity to what they host. Those protections shouldn't come for free, if you're going to act like an editor and select what speech goes in your platform beyond reasonable measure you should be liable for what you host and the protections should be null and void. I understand special exceptions can be considered for smaller platforms, but monopolies should've restrictions

if they want special legal protections they should be required to protect free speech. The laws giving them special protection need modifying
Forcing a company to host content that goes against their interests on their platform would be the actual 1st amendment violation. Nobody is owed a platform on a private company's website. There are literally tons of sites that you could go to and say whatever you want, the reason people go to these larger platforms is because of the reach. It's not so much a monopoly as a means of expediently reaching the most users possible with your content. To go on these sites they all have to agree to the same TOS as the rest of us, that's just life.
The problem is these companies deplatform and shadowban even without breaking any ToS. They are acting like an editor and selecting what speech they choose to publish and banishing legal speech they disagree with that does not break ToS.

They were even pushing the oligopoly to deplatforming with coordinated denial of hosting, payment platforms and debanking. Some companies have even tried putting fines on what you speak or message on the telephone.

This idea of unpersoning and denying basic services like hosting payment platforms and banking in a coordinated fashion between colluding megacorporations is not fine at all.

Last edited:
Someday people will learn freedom of speech does not mean speech with no consequences.

Everything has consequences, but any type of ideological alignment especially if you're a public figure can get anything from lies about you to death threats. Lot of unmerited consequences, especially if what you say is unpopular even if it is true.

Now I do understand the concept of fuck around and find out. You promote something vile or illegal or do something vile or illegal and expect merited consequences.

Topher

Gold Member
The problem is these platforms are big enough to influence things like elections. They might be the primary if not the only sources of information of large portions of the masses. When we basically have oligopolies, that's is no good. I won't go into details, as this involves politics, but that's where this leads to.

Eh....that's way off what we are talking about though. This is about Twitch banning a guy for using the word "tranny". If you agree to not use such language and then break that agreement then that's on you.

Last edited:

peek

Sure but when someone refers the concept of “I thought America has free speach” it’s pretty hard not to correlate that with our constitution.

There’s pretty much no platform other than shit like 4chan that even comes close anyways.
Im just giving you a hard time. Its just a maaajor pet peeve of mine when people seem to ALWAYS interchange the terms free speech with the 1st ammendment. Like when someone is talking about free speech, someone else comes in and go nuh uh, thats not what the 1st ammendment says, etc.

IntentionalPun

Im just giving you a hard time. Its just a maaajor pet peeve of mine when people seem to ALWAYS interchange the terms free speech with the 1st ammendment. Like when someone is talking about free speech, someone else comes in and go nuh uh, thats not what the 1st ammendment says, etc.
I don’t disagree but in the end it’s also thrown around by people with their own agenda who just turn around and limit the speech of people they don’t like.

Toons

Twitch is a fucked up place. You can have kids watching women in hot tubs but you can't use a shortened down word for transvestite. I hate this world that we live in.
....yea dude, its a slur, been known as one for decades. Theres a slur for Japanese people that is a shoter verison of Japanese but that doesn't make it not a slur.

Nickmercs needs to be on his best behavior given the recent situation so idk why he was even so bold to try this.

decisions

Twitch is a fucked up place. You can have kids watching women in hot tubs but you can't use a shortened down word for transvestite. I hate this world that we live in.

Elon Musk is an idiot a lot of the time, but when he talks about how most people in power are for “the appearance of good” instead of “actually doing good”, that is probably the core issue of our society, and results in things like this.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Thats not what we were talking about. A poster said something along the lines of "16 is the age of consent but you cant sext any one under the age of 18" to which I replied " the age of consent is the age of consent."

But if you want to quote me out of context to fit your agenda and can't be arsed reading the thread then fill your boots.
Calm down, fam. Not twisting your words. I must've just mis-undersrood you. Apologies.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
....yea dude, its a slur, been known as one for decades. Theres a slur for Japanese people that is a shoter verison of Japanese but that doesn't make it not a slur.

Nickmercs needs to be on his best behavior given the recent situation so idk why he was even so bold to try this.
I would never tell anyone how to feel about something or what to be offended by

That said I have been called about everything in the book having played sports at the very highest levels and usually people that use those terms are just ignorant anyhow and it just never bothered me

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Apparently this is the moment he started getting notifications on his phone that everything was crashing down.

Last edited:
I’m bored and decided to put together a timeline of events leading up to Cody Conners tweet, based on things we know to be true and some associated rumours. Cody Conners said “He was trying to meet up with her at TwitchCon. The powers that be could read in plain text.” We also have Doc’s statement which suggests the whispers took place in 2017. So let’s start the timeline from there:

Twitch Con - (Oct 20, 2017):

There isn’t much I found online during this period that can be linked to current events. The only thing which might be loosely related is the rumoured lady that Doc was seen with on a night out during Twitch Con. The woman who was identified as Cray, a Twitch streamer. Other than being seen together and a few strange tweets between them, there really is nothing concrete, just pure speculation from the internet.

Doc’s admits to cheating on wife & announces his taking break from streaming - (Dec 15, 2017):

Doc returns to streaming following he’s infidelity announcement - (Feb 18, 2018):

“I have like a 5 page essay that I wrote, that really outlines it, but I didn’t memorise it. So that’s all I can say about the Champions Club. I will probably sleep in my waterbed tonight next to Mrs. Assassin, and we’ll talk about in detail the specifics of the Champions Club and what that entails.”

Here Doc makes it clear that he and the wife are still together and obviously repairing their relationship.

5 years later, they’re still together:

Doc temporarily banned from Twitch for filming in bathroom - (June 11, 2019):

The infamous bathroom ban took place at E3, the ban only lasted 2 weeks and Doc’s channel was reinstated.

Doc signs new Twitch contract - (March 12, 2020):

In order to retain Doc while other streamers were being courted by Mixer only a year prior, Twitch offered Doc a healthy contract and he took it. He announced it with this high production tweet:

Doc is permanently banned from Twitch - (June 26, 2020):

Doc is permanently banned from Twitch. Slasher claimed to know why Doc was banned and refrained from discussing due to the “importance and sensitivity around the subject”. Twitch’s only statement: “As is our process, we take appropriate action when we have evidence that a streamer has acted in violation of our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service. These apply to all streamers regardless of status or prominence in the community.”

The Doc himself however, claimed to not have a clue on the specifics of the ban.

Cray (the rumoured mistress) 3 days before Doc gets banned:

I only find this interesting because this was during a period where the MeToo movement was making its way through Twitch and its streamers, a lot of people were getting outed. Her statement is likely unrelated to Doc. It would be wild though if she was actually a minor back then, I cannot verify her age. But I doubt she was underage when she was out with Doc at Twitch Con 2017.

Doc returns to streaming but on YouTube - (Aug 7, 2020):

Neither YouTube or Facebook wanted to give Doc any sort of partnership deals according to Slasher.

https://x.com/DrDisrespect/status/1291487315861204992

Doc claims to know why he was banned and states he is suing Twitch - (Aug 24, 2021):

Doc announces outcome of lawsuit regarding ban - (March 10, 2022):

Doc statement: “I have resolved my legal dispute with Twitch. No party admits to any wrongdoing.”

Twitch statement: "Dr Disrespect and Twitch have resolved their legal dispute. No party admits to any wrongdoing."

Former Twitch employee states Doc was banned for sexting a minor - (June 22, 2024):

And so this is where the madness ensues:

It's impressive that he looks like a bigger cunt when not in character.

DryvBy

I ain't got time to catch up on 30 pages. I'm waiting for my game to load.

So what's changed within a week? Any evidence yet?

Top Bottom