• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drifting away from Playstation

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I have been a big PS fan, played most of my games on the platform. I loved the ecosystem, the variety and quality of their games.

sxie0212.png

But as of recently, I turn on the console less. Feels like the PS magic is fading away. This is no melodramatic reaction, but a gradually waning interest. Over time, mainly since 2022, I found that:

• The PS Plus service offers far less value than before, or compared to competitors.
For an annual price of $135, the PS Plus Extra offers a far lesser catalog than the competitors. Each month 10+ games leave, but new arrivals never make up for the quality. Just look at the last three months. For the first time in 10 years, I stopped renewing my sub in March.
And then hardware. I never mind spending big, as long as the products offer good value. Based on the info out there so far, I don't think PS5 Pro is the case. I was dead firm to get it on day one, but now, I am holding off to see more about how much the PSSR can actually do.

• The customer service is a nightmare to deal with.
It's genuinely mindboggling that a giant like Sony on the market, has this unfathomable abysmal customer service. For once I lost a digital game's license for no reason, I contacted them, I provided the receipt directly from PSN store, and after one hour of back and forth, all they could advise, was to ask me to factor reset my console. It's been 9 months, I never heard back. And of course there was a time when I needed to claim the warranty for a drifting stick DualSense. There never was an easy path to navigate on the website for the purpose, and I had to call the hardware service number right at 8 am, because any other time, you stayed in the waiting line forever. And at least I was lucky to get the warranty honored. There are folks never able to.

• The states of current first-party studios are unclear, and I don't know what to anticipate.
And this is probably the final straw. after all, we love a console because of the games on it. Honestly, I had a great time with PS5, 2020 - 2022. The DualSense is magical, the graphics in Demons' Souls, Rift Apart, and Forbidden West are all breathtaking.
The downtime started in 2023, the mediocre showcase followed by debacles of their service game strategy. So far, we don't know a single project from any of PS's prestige studios (other than more Marvel from Insomniac). I am confident when the games from ND, SP, Bluepoint et al. come out, they will be great, but how long will it take? We used to have 2 - 3 high quality first party games every year.

I feel like I didn't want to go anywhere, but still drifting away from the console in the meantime. All I hope is that the Japanese take back all leadership of Playstation, and steer the brand towards what used to make it special.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I've been drifting away from gaming in general the last 10 years, but I can't help but keep staying here and staying in touch with what's going on, I'm even buying a PS5 Pro in November, just because I can. I just can't give it up entirely, it's been a part of me (gaming) since I was 4 with the NES. I've built a few gaming PCs in the last six years, and I had more fun building than actually playing. It's complicated.

El Muerto

Gold Member
This gen makes me want to go to PC full time. I have a gaming pc, spend half my time on it. I also have a PS5 and Series X and S. I buy every console that comes out. But Microsoft can't make up its mind if they want to go cloud or keep doing consoles. Sony is becoming like Apple with the high prices and addons.

tmlDan

This gen makes me want to go to PC full time. I have a gaming pc, spend half my time on it. I also have a PS5 and Series X and S. I buy every console that comes out. But Microsoft can't make up its mind if they want to go cloud or keep doing consoles. Sony is becoming like Apple with the high prices and addons.
At least the PS fans show their dislike of something, apple fans are a psychotic mob

You might just not be into video games as much at the moment. Why don’t you just take a break from gaming?

At the end of the day, your spot on about Sony not having enough first party games and the future being unclear but there are still enough good games to play at the moment which makes me think this isn’t really a Sony issue.

Three

If you stopped renewing in March why do you care what's left the service after that? Did you really leave?!
Not to mention Plucky Squire is just a few days away from launching into PS+. It's not like new games aren't being added. September is a good month.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I never understood the "magic" thing people bring up.
Maybe not as much today, but in the 80's through the early 2000's, the leaps in complexity and fidelity really did feel magical. It really hit hard seeing NFL2k for the first time, my jaw dropped. Then seeing Madden 2001 on the PS2 the following year. It was mind blowing.

Last edited:
The price increases have me annoyed, particularly with PS+ getting a significant hike while still waiting for a bunch of first party stuff to land on it.

Guilty_AI

Maybe not as much today, but in the 80's through the early 2000's, the leaps in complexity and fidelity really did feel magical. It really hit hard seeing NFL2k for the first time, then seeing Madden 2001 on the PS2 the following year. It was mind blowing.
Yeah i remember drooling over NFSMW visuals or Flatout physics back then too, but that "magic" was more of a game/tech thing than a console specific thing.

Last edited:

ZehDon

I was with PlayStation last gen, but by the end of that generation, it was clear their direction wasn't much for me. This generation - PlayStation and Xbox - has been probably the worst generation overall. The hardware is there, but the games are all last-gen hold overs or un-optimised UE5 games. Consoles have been left behind and, for me, PC gaming has never been easier or better to get in to. A quality gaming PC will last nearly a decade and outperform the consoles universally. When we get eyes on Microsoft's handheld, I'll decide if I want to stay in that eco-system - but even that eco-system is a PC / Xbox hybrid. Unfortunately, this generation PlayStation has also started to re-position itself as the "Premium" console. They want to be Apple: charge more, offer less, and putting the "PlayStation" brand on something automatically increases its price. With Microsoft backing out of the console platform space, I don't see good things in the future of consoles, which just reinforces my decision to game on PC. Anyway, this generation has shown me there's a finite number of days left in the traditional console market.

King Dazzar

LectureMaster LectureMaster its fine to have more than one platform. Whilst I really like just focusing on one primary platform. I like to take a break and play on something else. If nothing else using another controller helps. Sounds like you like PS, so stay with it, but just spend time on your other one.

Btw, I agree, their customer service is appalling.

Top Bottom