• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrpg

Here are my thoughts so far in my blog post

Speaking of the handling model, its definitely leaning towards arcade style. For example, I would say Project Gotham Racing Series has more sim like handling than this, but this is definitely not as arcadey as say Need For Speed Hot Pursuit or Burnout. Right now, having used just the one car, the handling is really forgiving. I can take the wrong line in a turn adjust by varying the acceleration and not lose that much speed/time. But there’s no way I would be able to do that in Gran Turismo where I need to be nailing all the correct lines to get a faster time. I am sure this is going to lead to a lot of fun times around corners, changing driving lines, outfoxing other drivers. Some people may not like the too arcadey model, but for now, I can see how it does make the racing more exciting.

Full post -
http://boingbb.wordpress.com/2014/10/08/driveclub-first-impressions-ps4/

tl;dr - Great game!

yep :/ happened 2, 3 times already.

just started a normal race (not from the tour). this one didnt kick me out so far.

Huh. Does it kick you without any sort of pop-up?

One thing you could try is to disable your internet connection for now, but you are the first one to have this problem.

SHEF

Hey my UK PSN preload is just sitting there, taunting me with its countdown that finishes at 0900 on Friday morning :/

I'm in the UK and my pre-load countdown timer ends at 12am Thursday Night/Friday Morning. In information it says Valid Period (Start) 10/10/2014 0:00.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Dammit. I'm not that big of a fan of racing games, and I tend to shy away from the more realistic ones at that. And even though the sort of cool reception Driveclub is getting I'm still feeling a bit like picking it up.

I buy games way to easily.

it may be banned for looking too real. it'll make kids race cars in real life.
Today the australian minister for hobbies and culture announced the ariel atom and bac mono, and other road legal open wheelers in the uk, will be allowed as tax free imports in the Australian market under a new system that realigns australian regulations for better compatibility with much larger and smarter countries, after the failure of the "local" car assembly business last year.
And then i woke up.

Dammit. I'm not that big of a fan of racing games, and I tend to shy away from the more realistic ones at that. And even though the sort of cool reception Driveclub is getting I'm still feeling a bit like picking it up.

It's a fun game. Can't see any problems with trying it or taking the gamble.

Jimrpg

Try the PS+ version first.

Robbok

I'm not sure if I like it. Image quality is good, I'm ok with 30 fps ( still preferred 60) These shitty penalties are driving me crazy. Someone kicks you off track and after a few seconds you're set back on track,behind your opponents of course. Rushy please punch that idiot who decided that shit. And fix it. No tuning? Come on guys...
Online races are stuttering as hell, we will see how performance is going after launch.
I can't use my driving force gt and I'm not a good pad driver so I won't judge the controls until I get used to pad steering after playing some more.
But for now, there's no jaw dropping :(

Jimrpg

I'm not sure if I like it. Image quality is good, I'm ok with 30 fps ( still preferred 60) These shitty penalties are driving me crazy. Someone kicks you off track and after a few seconds you're set back on track,behind your opponents of course. Rushy please punch that idiot who decided that shit. And fix it. No tuning? Come on guys...
Online races are stuttering as hell, we will see how performance is going after launch.
I can't use my driving force gt and I'm not a good pad driver so I won't judge the controls until I get used to pad steering after playing some more.
But for now, there's no jaw dropping :(

I'm ok with the 30 here, its definitely way better than PGR and that was supposed to be rock solid 30.

I'm surprised people care that much about the penalities. its only the meta game isn't it? isn't the main objective just to win the race anyway?

There's no tuning cause its not a sim.

Yeah Sony dropped the ball with no wheel support. I'm glad they went a bit more arcade, makes driving with the pad more enjoyable.

I'm absolutely loving every second of the game that I've played, but I wish I could finally get started with the club aspects of DRIVECLUB. It sucks that they released a game that heavily advertises the social features and yet have them not functioning at launch for a lot of people. :/

Digital Foundry: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

DriveClub - the Digital Foundry verdict

There was a lot pressure on Evolution Studios to deliver a state-of-the-art flagship title that defined the PS4's next-generation credentials - a racing game that blurs the line between arcade and simulation while boasting the latest graphical features only possible on higher-end hardware. Despite some teething problems earlier in development, this is a feat that DriveClub manages to accomplish. Indeed, the game has benefitted from a remarkable makeover: from scrappy contender to visually polished technological showcase for PlayStation 4 hardware. The attention to detail and complex effects work is undeniably superb, while the handling model delivers an experience to suit both casual players and the more hardcore driving fans looking for something different from the likes of Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport.

For all its rendering accomplishments, DriveClub is actually best viewed more as an evolution of an old-school arcade racing game, as opposed to a state-of-the-art simulation. In gameplay terms, the lack of open world exploration and use of fixed tracks may seem a little behind the times, but the use of carefully designed point-to-point routes and traditional tracks suit the social aspect of the game, which revolves around challenging other players while winning events to increase status for yourself and your club.

In that sense, DriveClub comes across as an updated take on the classic arcade racer, played out at a global level, with both competitive and collaborative gameplay at the very heart of the experience. The handling model makes the game easy to pick up and play, while the relentless AI on higher difficulty settings keeps single-player races interesting as you constantly battle to stay in first place.

Of course, while the game is finally on retail shelves this week, development of DriveClub is an on-going process, and we are promised a range of features in the coming months via post-launch updates. The first of these adds dynamic weather to the game, adding another layer of uncertainty to driving conditions while no doubt showcasing even more of Evolution's tech - something we'll take a look at in the near future. Photo and replay modes are also on their way.

It's fair to say that we had more fun with the game than Mike did in the Eurogamer review, but there are areas where we agree that the game falls a little short: the penalties and driving restrictions can sap the fun out of the most intense moments, and perhaps there is a lack of soul and charisma at the heart of the game. But for us, the combination of the arcade-style handling and the often beautiful visuals delivers an experience well worth checking out.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
How does it look on a 1080i/720p screen? I'm still at work -.-

wiggleb0t

Banned
Can't believe a driving game does not have a replay function.
Still waiting on delivery, but no replay mode at launch is beyond stupid.

Patch that asap, along with weather, and any other standard features of driving games available for 10 years+.... Thank god a phone app for viewing friends times was more of a priority :|

Jimrpg

Can't believe a driving game does not have a replay function.
Still waiting on delivery, but no replay mode at launch is beyond stupid.

Patch that asap, along with weather, and any other standard features of driving games available for 10 years+.... Thank god a phone app for viewing friends times was more of a priority :|

How about enjoying the game for what it is?

This is not on Ridge Racer Vita levels of lack of content where it was 3 tracks and then you had to pay $15 to get 3 more.

How did anyone survive the Daytona or Sega Rally era?

darkwing

sfbgts.gif

love the lighting on this game

aro52

Nightfall wasn't too bad if you stay up on that ledge where you enter the Archon Priest area. You can lure the Archon just over to the right of that pathway in front of the ledge and just one by one take turns shooting rockets and throwing nades. Took maybe 10-15 min. The biggest problem is the stealth vandals and multiple captains that'll spawn.

The cheese spot under the platform is a little dangerous since you're open from various sides, you've got to really be mindful of taking damage. We did this spot for the weekly and a few of us died under there but still took him down with it.

Again?!

This thread officially has more Destiny posts than "Driveclub servers are up!" posts!

Tmecha

Neo Member
due to rubbish 4g internet so I cant trial the PSN ver.

can someone just briefly run through a quick summary of the goods and bads?

Is single player good enough without multi play?

andylsun

Anyone having problems with downshifting with a T500RS? Seem to have problems when I drop 2 gears for a slow corner, it's hard to tell the revs in cockpit view with the rookie cars but I'm convined it sometimes misses the second shift.

There doesn't seem to be any way to have the gear displayed in the HUD in cockpit view.

Wish the servers were up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom