• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3ro

The reaction is a 0/1 in the code base, and I feel it's tuned in a way that makes it seem kinda silly in that gif. So no, I am not impressed by something that seems like it shouldn't be happening at all.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

Is it really that big of a deal?

Is it really that big of a deal?

No, it's not a big deal, but when people keep responding "No, it's reacting just like it should!", and know I otherwise, I'm gonna say that. But as I said in the previous post, there is nothing more to be said now. I'll just have to agree to disagree with whoever thinks it's supposed to react like that.

Also worth pointing out, other people also spoke up on previous pages pointing out what was happening in the gif seemed strange to them.

driver116

The lights on my car will also go on while going under a short underpass. But the light change seen in that flare/firework gif is far far less extreme.

Again, differing cars/settings/situations. As someone already mentioned, the sensors/system in this car may be more sophisticated or sensitive. You can't compare your car to every other car on the market.

But as I said in the previous post, there is nothing more to be said now. I'll just have to agree to disagree with whoever thinks it's supposed to react like that.

What you're saying here is kind of ignorant to all the other car manufacturers/cars in world who have different standards/reasoning/procedures.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I know what I will be doing today and tommorrow and the day after...

BzBepRqCYAAD3E8.jpg:large

Oh man! (Heldige asen) ;)

As I said, I own a car with such sensors. They behave as you describe.

They would never be triggered by the situation seen in that gif though.

I agree, definitely not. Those fireworks are too far away to trigger such a sensor anyway, otherwise it would go off every time it sensed a street light, or bonfire (which it doesn't).

It's a cool little artistic flourish, and probably helps the fireworks feel more impactful, I wouldn't be surprised if they triggered a little hint of rumble as well (do they?).

Again, differing cars/settings/situations. As someone already mentioned, the sensors/system in this car may be more sophisticated or sensitive. You can't compare your car to every other car on the market.

What you're saying here is kind of ignorant to all the other car manufacturers/cars in world who have different standards/reasoning/procedures.

The last words I will speak on this matter, since you're suggesting I'm ignorant on this tech:

There isn't a car maker in the world that would tune the interior dash lighting to brighten because a small firework went off 200 yards in the distance. Not one. It would make absolutely no sense to ever do such a thing.

This isn't even about the game at this point, you're just saying things about real world cars that make no sense.

I agree, definitely not. Those fireworks are too far away to trigger such a sensor anyway, otherwise it would go off every time it sensed a street light, or bonfire (which it doesn't).

Thank You.

Just 4 more days...
Is it unreasonable to be somewhat miffed at Sony for not just releasing this earlier? I mean people already have the retail disc, in this age of digital media it just makes no sense to me to hold back games to a set date if you can download them.

Lemondish

We're a parody of ourselves sometimes..

I'm not sure if half of what's said on GAF is satire or not. I feel like many posts flirt too closely with Poe's law for me to adequately gauge the community's sensitivity to certain details in games. I have no idea if fireworks light sensitivity is a legitimate problem in the eyes of the enthusiasts.

The last words I will speak on this matter, since you're suggesting I'm ignorant on this tech:

There isn't a car maker in the world that would tune the interior dash lighting to brighten because a small firework went off 200 yards in the distance. Not one. It would make absolutely no sense to ever do such a thing.

This isn't even about the game at this point, you're just saying things about real world cars that make no sense.

Thank You.

Its not in the game to be absolutely 1:1 realistic with the real world.

It is in the game to showcase ... hey, the interior of the car will react to even the slightest change to the ambience occuring at night. It is an awesome effect that has never been done before, so yeah, make it sensitive and show it off.

Lemondish

Thank You.

Nice strawman. Nobody is suggesting that a manufacturer would tune a sensor to intentionally pick up fireworks 200 yards away. What you're saying is logical enough on its own merits that you don't really need to redefine the other guys position just to make him look extra ridiculous. You aren't getting any kudos for the sick burn after all.

Caayn

Its not in the game to be absolutely 1:1 realistic with the real world.

It is in the game to showcase ... hey, the interior of the car will react to even the slightest change to the ambience occuring at night. It is an awesome effect that has never been done before, so yeah, make it sensitive and show it off.
Except it occurs during broad daylight, which makes it even more strange. It's a nice effect but way to overdone especially when you see how realistic DriveClub looks.

are we really saying "meh not impressed! next!" about the dash turning on during a fireworks display and arguing about its legitimacy and how it's unrealistic?

this is such a new low. fucking ridiculous.

guess what, you also can't drive your car in a 3rd person view! big fucking deal.

this sort of "scrutiny" is just downright stupid.

driver116

Thank You.

Because it doesn't do it in my car, it doesn't do it every other car is what you said. All I was saying is that what applies to your car doesn't necessarily apply to all other cars in the world. BTW my car does 50MPG, and so does every other car in the world.

ShapeGSX

141002183317.gif

Holy shit! Even the fireworks cause the dashboard lighting to toggle on and off! o_O

Looks like the game just adjusts the dash light brightness so they are visible based on the overall brightness of the scene.

Love the ambient light sensor talk, though. Hilarious. :)

Jamesways

are we really saying "meh not impressed! next!" about the dash turning on during a fireworks display and arguing about its legitimacy and how it's unrealistic?

guess what, you also can't drive your car in a 3rd person view! big fucking deal.

YOU might be able to, but...
0001bean.jpg

Those of you that have signed up for the Driveclub NeoGAF League a bit late, well I have some good news. You will be apart of Season 1 thanks to bananafactory helping me out quite a bit. If you have signed up please check that thread frequently!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the game just adjusts the dash light brightness so they are visible based on the overall brightness of the scene.

Love the ambient light sensor talk, though. Hilarious. :)

It's clearly not that, since the dash only lights up milliseconds _after_ the fireworks go bright. It's absolutely intentional and simulating interior lighting reacting to the fireworks.

Doesn't even really matter if it's what a real car would do or not.
The only question is if it's a "real" light simulation (I don't believe that) that lets the car "pick up" on the lighting, or just a scripted event that lights up the dash (my money's on that) that happens here, as well as at the tunnels etc. No one said it doesn't look insanely cool, because it does.

Ploid 3.0

This game is going to make me subscribe to PS+, I just know it. I didn't last long :( Darn you Rushy!!!!

A new fighting game better launch soon so I can go between racing and sparing marathons to get a good use out of it if I subscribe.

Nokterian

Been thinking about this game a lot today i just want to drive and compete to everyone on gaf. I will beat your time (sometimes) i am very competitive with this. Also people saying this looks bad or predicting scores. Please go do something else and complaining to complain isn't going to help.

Lmao I agree

ShapeGSX

It's clearly not that, since the dash only lights up milliseconds _after_ the fireworks go bright. It's absolutely intentional and simulating interior lighting reacting to the fireworks.

How can you be sure it isn't just coded to light up a few ms after the overall lighting changes?

thelastword

Banned

Man sometimes I just don't know...Evo probably did this to accentuate the erupting fireworks, but people want to nitpick this to the tinniest degree in an arcade racer which is all about fun and of course the visual spectacle.

I won't be too surprised if someone mentions that somehow it's "distracting" and they can't play the game because of this, even though there are five other cameras available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom