• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you aren't a driving wunderkinder, and are not playing prior to release with only 100 other people globally, will you ever see yourself atop any leaderboards?

What I mean is - are there any geographically local leaderboards (i rank top 100 in my city!), or divisions, or ?

Competitive games with leaderboards tend to have two displays: top 10 (or 20 or 100) worldwide, and then your name buried down at about position 19,457 or something with a simple page up and page down button, with a laggy data load that doesn't really give you any joy to refer to.

I guess there will be information on your club.. or comparisons to your friends like Trials fusion? anything else?

I saw that article someone posted from GamesRadar, about how modern racing games need to become more "hardcore"... I could not agree more.

DriveClub's tracks are incredibly frustrating in this regard - you go offroad and you collide with a bunch of flowers like it was cement, and on the other hand, whatever surface you collide with amounts to pretty much the same damage.

You're not agreeing with the article with your opinion.

tuna_love

Banned
If you aren't a driving wunderkinder, and are not playing prior to release with only 100 other people globally, will you ever see yourself atop any leaderboards?

What I mean is - are there any geographically local leaderboards (i rank top 100 in my city!), or divisions, or ?

Competitive games with leaderboards tend to have two displays: top 10 (or 20 or 100) worldwide, and then your name buried down at about position 19,457 or something with a simple page up and page down button, with a laggy data load that doesn't really give you any joy to refer to.

I guess there will be information on your club.. or comparisons to your friends like Trials fusion? anything else?
I'd say it will have a friends and club leader board.

driver116

The only thing I need to know now is how the campaign holds up because I play a lot of single player. When they say it's 55 events, is that just single events like a time trial or a cone race, or is it more like gran turismo where there can be more than one challenge/race in each event. I ask because 55 events sounds kind of short. Which means I'll probably get the season pass as long as it's reasonably priced in Australia.

Pretty much my thoughts. I love single player events.

TEH-CJ

Banned
The only concern i have is that the game will be more arcadey than sim. But looking at the vids, its leaning more towards sim..

viveks86

I was crossing my fingers for country leaderboards. Guess since it hasn't appeared in any screenshots I'm out of luck. Resogun added country leaderboards and weekly / monthly leaderboards. They would be nice.

It's an interesting idea. It also makes sense to have such subcategories just to show viral challenges turn out to be as the they hop across timezones. Would be cool to have it down the line.

viveks86

At least this thread has more views. :-D

Half of those are probably me refreshing the page

Embarrassed-Dog-Cringes-At-The-Thought-Of-Its-Past-Mistakes.gif

yeah I'm a bit confused about the face offs and challenges.

The marketing video says you get a face-off during racing from
"close friends"
"fierce rivals"
"your ultimate nemesis"

who are "fierce rivals" and "your ultimate nemesis"?
does "close friends" exclude people in the club you in?

then it says if you nail a face-off, you can set up and send out a challenge to your friends or "rival clubs".

Is this challenge an entire track or a face off? who are the "rival clubs"? just ones you know the name of? how many can you send? what happens if it is beaten? if it is not beaten? can you watch a replay of it being beaten or not beaten? do other members of the club veto or agree on challenges sent out, or can any member do anything?

I guess despite all these videos and first impressions I've very unclear on how the social side really works..

mike4001_

Does somebody else experience some bugs with the game ?

I had a couple of freezes. Mostly when the online component came into place.

Just now I bought a car and double pressed 'A' and then the screen got stuck because I confirmed a screen which was not properly loaded before ...

I hope they bring out a patch which smoothes out some of the rough edges :)

bombshell

Just now I bought a car and double pressed 'A' and then the screen got stuck because I confirmed a screen which was not properly loaded before ...

How did you double press 'A' on your DS4? Wrong thread?

Saberus

You bought a car? think your in the wrong thread... check post history.. yep wrong thread..lol

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Time moves to slowly...

Yeah, I hope the patch in support for dualshock4 so we don't have to use Xbox controllers!

Pre-ordered the PS-plus upgrade, mostly because of GAF-hype!
Last time that happened was with The Last of Us, and that turned out as on of my best gaming experiences ever, so I can't say I'm very #Concerned.

viveks86

PSN: DRIVECLUB-GAF currently at 184. Need to hit 300 before launch! I don't know why, but we just have to. Come on peeps! You know who you are. Don't be shy! ;)

Sweep14

They've never heard of Driveclub?

I assume that's because with the help of a therapist they have erased the memories from the traumatic events between PS4 announcement and launch.

Well, the first rule of the driveclub is that you don't speak of the driveclub...

Darklord

Banned
I'm just curious, is there a reason there are so few cars in this game compared to GT or Forza? 50 seems pretty tiny for a racing game when others have 200-1000.

bombshell

I'm just curious, is there a reason there are so few cars in this game compared to GT or Forza? 50 seems pretty tiny for a racing game when others have 200-1000.

New IP. Meticulously detailed car models take time.

Also, other than the two franchises you mention, virtually all other console racing series have a car count similar to DriveClub.

driver116

A good way to increase the re-playability of the single player would be to allow you to pick any car and take it through all events, then pick your next car and do the same for all 55. I believe you have events like 'hot hatches' so this would not work.

It's not trying to be a car collecting simulator, and it's a new IP with incredibly detailed models. Simcade titles have traditionally been more about high octane racing with a smaller car list where every car is unique.

Plus by June 2015 the total will be pushing 100. If they go beyond that with DLC or we get a sequel, it'll be even more. These things take time.

viveks86

Remember when I posted these impressions from a friend yesterday and mentioned that he seemed to think the game was a bit easy?

Right so I got the game today and had the chance to literally play it for about 3-4 hours allowing me to reach Level 11 for today. My primary focus were tour events altogether, and then I played couple of Multiplayer Games.

- Game's visuals, environments, car model are gorgeous. Specially the environments stand out. Very detailed with soft lightning and breath taking scenery. I have played many racing games in past but the country side Evolution has captured is miles apart. Jaw was Dropped literally. Imagine how weather will make it standout further.
- Car Handling is solid, fluid, tight and intuitive. The game is arcadey but the fundamental elements of under steer and over steer are present. Cars had weight. Overall fluid as hell and responsive as a blink of an eye. But I found it towards the easier side of gameplay. If you are into racing and knows the basics of apex, braking etc then you can easily control your car. Felt forgiving and less challenging. Well its not a Sim of course :)
- Sense of Speed is what I enjoyed the most whoaaa I mean literally the 2nd tier cars felt so speedy imagine a Hennesy Venom. Brilliant and scary at times.
- AI is aggressive although I was playing on Semi Pro so yes AI will give you tough work to do once you progress higher into tour events.
- There is a log of every race you do created and you can send challenges to Solo or Club mates so easily. Loved it. Leader board at the end of race and eyeing at your friends score better than you really wants you go back and beat him up.
- I am a casual racer but Driveclub is turning me out to shave off those tenth of seconds which I never bothered before and man this is good stuff.
- Main menu is easy simple straight forward with one of the best soundtracks after NFS 6 and Most wanted. Brilliant. Pumps you up further.
- Multiplayer has prebuilt events which you can register and wait for a minute and a half to get into matches which was annoying. However the racing was exhilarating and very fast. I got a loaned Marrusia and wooof I go. was hell fun. Driving it across Norway was thrilling. There were less people and many disconnections from DC Servers too. Multiplayer helped in progression too. And it separates you in two teams to race Red and Blue and one that gets most points wins the race.
- Locations are very good and point to point is most fun. Some circuits and race tracks are really silly in terms of how casually small and easy they are. Plus circuit laps will not provide enough variety across the race as point to point does.
- India was least impressive of all and Norway, Scottland and Canada were breathtaking. Chile had great environments too.
- You have rumble intensity options, you can change Dual Shock button mapping which I did for Handbrake and mapped it to Square from Circle, you have some steering wheel assists etc
- Weather is phenomenal clouds, stormy clouds, clear, time of dawn and dusk superb.
- There is some aliasing here and there but not much. I don't know but I found environments more detailed than cars. Some flickering shadows too but wouldn't bother.
- Tours is really fun it hooked me up bad. Progression and races and specially those individual objectives are really fun plus add those face offs which are extremely fun to beat.

- The game is overall very fun and impressive plus the cherry on top are its environments,, sound and gameply combined with social aspects. The only Con I think it has is the forgiving driving model. Once you get the feel of it and you know the track it will be an easy thing but shaving those drift points, cornering, sectors etc will add on to its challenge.

And yes I dont know if its a bug or what but if a car hits you from behind, your Fame score deducts point which was plain stupid. I mean it was not my fault :/

And yes I am somewhere 1000 on the leader-board :D Imagine :p

9/10 - STUNNING!!!!

I said I'm going to wait till he levels up and get an update. Well, here's the update:

Driveclub is no more Easy. I repeat its no more easy. As you progress further above LVL 12. Man it gts TUF. Hold your breath n race

:D

Card Boy

Banned
I'm honestly surprised you guys are pre-ordereding the game without waiting for the PSN+ demo. The game could be a piece of shit like GT5.

Dinjooh

Remember when I posted these impressions from a friend yesterday and mentioned that he seemed to think the game was a bit easy?

I said I'm going to wait till he levels up and get an update. Well, here's the update:

:D

Doesn't he mean it gets... RUF?

Guys?... Because of the car guys?

Dinjooh

I'm honestly surprised you guys are pre-ordereding the game without waiting for the PSN+ demo. The game could be a piece of shit like GT5.

A lot of us have had a chance to try it at various events. I tried it at Gamescom last year and loved it, no reason I wouldn't want it now, a year later.

Jimrpg

They aren't single events. Some events are 3 race tournaments (may be more that I haven't come across). Almost all of them have more than 1 challenge to complete.

It's fixed per event. At least that's my understanding. Hence the difficulty spike as you work your way up.

Excellent news... Should be kinda lengthy then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom