• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Seanspeed

Banned
No i get that but, for actual racing what's the rules?
You can brake while turning in this game. Its not gonna punish you for it like a sim racer would.

But if you're braking while cornering, it means you've carried too much speed into the corner in the first place, so ideally, you'll hopefully try and do your braking/slowing down before the corner.

Spades

Wow. Has an Evolution Studios developer run over your dog, or something?

Not at all.

Just like Evo haven't been giving out free puppies to everyone who thinks its excusable for the primary feature (and marketed selling point) has been unavailable since launch.

Leunam

No i get that but, for actual racing what's the rules?

You mean like tips?

I've read that cornering should be braking first, then turning, then throttle once you're pointed in the right direction so you don't spin out. But these aren't strict rules.

Jackie Stewart for instance does not like to hit the throttle if he thinks he's just going to lift off again mid corner. Ayrton Senna on the other hand likes to feather the throttle mid corner to find as much grip as he can.

There are several corners in the game where you don't need full braking or throttle either. Don't be afraid to ease up on the throttle instead of tapping the brakes. And test your brakes as well. Use the flags and corner markers to remember where you should be braking, it's going to vary from car to car. If you're driving standard, make sure you shift down as well so you can benefit from engine braking.

The Arial Atom is the biggest fucking piece of shit I have ever driven in a video game.

It is honestly souring the end game for me. Now I have to grind for the BAC Mono. Get bent, Arial.

It's true that Ariel Atom is super hard to control sometimes but it's not THAT hard.

le-seb

Just like Evo haven't been giving out free puppies to everyone who thinks its excusable for the primary feature (and marketed selling point) has been unavailable since launch.
But you're quite explicitly wishing them to not recover from this situation.
What's the use in being hateful when you can just get a refund if you're not satisfied with the game?

Garryk

Ugh, I got the 1.04 update at the worst possible time. I was in the 2nd race of the Legend trophy when I got disconnected from PSN and I ended up coming in first overall. Lost out on 250k fame for my club, but it got me to level 35.

Club is at level 16 now. Does anyone know if there is a hard cap for club level?

OK guys, I need some honest opinions here. I'm kind of impatient for the free PS+ version to be released and thinking of buying the full version (digitally). Will I have enough fun until the servers are 100% functional?

Spades

What's the use in being hateful when you can just get a refund if you're not satisfied with the game?

I'm not wishing it to fail - hell, I bought the game and want it to work as advertised! My point was that they're getting let off the hook somewhat.

Nyx

OK guys, I need some honest opinions here. I'm kind of impatient for the free PS+ version to be released and thinking of buying the full version (digitally). Will I have enough fun until the servers are 100% functional?

Depends, do you like intense racers with great graphics, sound, sense of speed and trackdesigns?

If so:

200_s.gif

Spades

If you're a racing game fan, then yes, I'd say go for it. Chances are though, if you were waiting for the PS+ version then you were not fully committed to buying it in the first place and so that would make me say to wait until server fixes are properly in place, or perhaps rent it.

Depends, do you like intense racers with great graphics, sound, sense of speed and trackdesigns?

If so:

200_s.gif

If you're a racing game fan, then yes, I'd say go for it. Chances are though, if you were waiting for the PS+ version then you were not fully committed to buying it in the first place and so that would make me say to wait until server fixes are properly in place, or perhaps rent it.

Thanks! I am a big racing fan (GT and Wipeout being my favorites), was just away from my PS4 for the last couple of weeks and wasn't really following what's going on with game!

You can brake while turning in this game. Its not gonna punish you for it like a sim racer would.

But if you're braking while cornering, it means you've carried too much speed into the corner in the first place, so ideally, you'll hopefully try and do your braking/slowing down before the corner.

This is a good habit to pick up regardless if it is sim or not, simply because you will lose speed and go into a slide if you brake late. Once you have brought your speed down then you want to keep the car balanced by either using the throttle or the break which depends on many variables such as camber and elevation of the road, if the car is back heavy, has high torque, etc, some cars you will be able to just glide around if you get the speed correct.

Only thing that's frustrating me is when my times don't post to the leaderboard. That blows. Otherwise, just keep your expectations in check (it is a 72 on Metacritic, after all) and you'll be fine. It's a quality racer with good sound, good graphics and good physics, that will only get better in due time. PCARS and GT7 are a long way off. I say go for it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Did you purchase the upgrade and not the game, as unlikely as it is, Sony are selling the game straight without the upgrade path for those without PS+.

I purchased whatever was available pre-launch. There was only one option for $49.99. I think the pre-order version and the post-launch versions must be different and that's why it shows as needing purchase.

I got angry with the game for the first time last night. The leaderboards recorded my time when messing about in a time trail with a new car so I got excited picked the car I am best with and did the track again, got a time that would have placed me 3rd on the leaderboards and it didn't record it. Retried three times afterwards, all good enough to get me in the top 5 and it didn't register any of them.

Must be Jesus' alt account since he's perfect and all. I wonder what it feels like to have never messed up before?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I got angry with the game for the first time last night. The leaderboards recorded my time when messing about in a time trail with a new car so I got excited picked the car I am best with and did the track again, got a time that would have placed me 3rd on the leaderboards and it didn't record it. Retried three times afterwards, all good enough to get me in the top 5 and it didn't register any of them.

Mine update about 5-10 minutes after I race. Kept doing that all evening yesterday.

I also went through a made a few custom paintjobs now that I unlocked a lot of patterns. There are some downright awesome options, and they become available fast. MOst other games take forever to give you skins and decals.

And dynamic challenges are where the real fame points are. They can earn you tons of fame quite quickly. Once they are fully functioning, we should all level up quite fast and unlock everything.

Hmm, can't seem to get the game to patch? Keeps saying unable to download. I even tried deleting/reinstalling but that didn't help. Anyone know any ways to get it to download?

glaurung

Hmm, can't seem to get the game to patch? Keeps saying unable to download. I even tried deleting/reinstalling but that didn't help. Anyone know any ways to get it to download?
Got the same error last night. Gave up and played The Evil Within instead.

God knows how messed up the update system is now with all these issues.

I'm not wishing it to fail - hell, I bought the game and want it to work as advertised! My point was that they're getting let off the hook somewhat.

I wouldn't say they're being let off the hook. Their reputation has likely been irreversibly tarnished which is pretty bad for a dev studio.

I can't wait to try it but I have been burnt by too many racers in the past to play it without trying it first. It sounds like an evolution (no pun intended) of the original Need for Speed which I still have fond memories of playing on my 3DO. It was quite the visceral driving experience at the time and this game appears to have captured that same feeling.

pixelbox

You mean like tips?

I've read that cornering should be braking first, then turning, then throttle once you're pointed in the right direction so you don't spin out. But these aren't strict rules.

Jackie Stewart for instance does not like to hit the throttle if he thinks he's just going to lift off again mid corner. Ayrton Senna on the other hand likes to feather the throttle mid corner to find as much grip as he can.

There are several corners in the game where you don't need full braking or throttle either. Don't be afraid to ease up on the throttle instead of tapping the brakes. And test your brakes as well. Use the flags and corner markers to remember where you should be braking, it's going to vary from car to car. If you're driving standard, make sure you shift down as well so you can benefit from engine braking.

This is a good habit to pick up regardless if it is sim or not, simply because you will lose speed and go into a slide if you brake late. Once you have brought your speed down then you want to keep the car balanced by either using the throttle or the break which depends on many variables such as camber and elevation of the road, if the car is back heavy, has high torque, etc, some cars you will be able to just glide around if you get the speed correct.
Really appreciate this.

Which setting lets you turn off the 'disconnected/reconnected to/from the server' message that scrolls slowly across your steering wheel in bright red/green while you're trying to race? It's really distracting and often happens multiple times per race. I don't know why they couldn't have just gone with a small icon in the corner.

Nyx

Go to the download notification and try again till it starts downloading.

It worked for me after 5 times.

Yeah, finally came pack to the game because I heard there was a server patch.....can't download it. Evo pls
Go to the download notification and try again till it starts downloading.

It worked for me after 5 times.
I just retried 50 times, no luck :p

Can't believe they haven't sorted this yet.....

It's Friday. I want to play the game online, not mess about to the point of frustration trying to download a patch, struggle to connect, then fail to enter races once I actually connect.

I've legitimately spent more time trying to play the game than I have playing the game.

This is the worst game launch I can remember. It will soon be going on 2 weeks of non service for a game I paid for. Way too long.

DrKelpo

Banned
Are the Norwegian lightweight time challenges doable with the mono or do you need the extra acceleration of the ariel? No matter how well I drive, I can't seem to get them.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Can't believe they haven't sorted this yet.....

It's Friday. I want to play the game online, not mess about to the point of frustration trying to download a patch, struggle to connect, then fail to enter races once I actually connect.

I've legitimately spent more time trying to play the game than I have playing the game.

This is the worst game launch I can remember. It will soon be going on 2 weeks of non service for a game I paid for. Way too long.

Its not an MMO, you can play the game. I have been playing SP with server support since last Sunday. Do certain regions have it worse than others?

Matush

After 2 patches and waiting 4 days I tried to finally start up the game and try to get online. Results? Nothing. It's been 10 days and I still can't get online for whatever reason. This is unacceptable, I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.

Yeah i just had to keep trying, it did eventually work. Took me about 5 retries as someone else mentioned too.

Really enjoying the game, shame its having such bad server issues. Shame thats such the standard these days =/ (though, this obviously being worse than even that!)

It's weird that the Atom is one of the cars I look forward to driving the most. Seems like it would be the most rewarding to master given its difficulty.

Forsete

After 2 patches and waiting 4 days I tried to finally start up the game and try to get online. Results? Nothing. It's been 10 days and I still can't get online for whatever reason. This is unacceptable, I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.

I actually managed to connect yesterday, so I joined a club. Multiplayer didnt work though.
Today I managed to play MP once, then got kicked off again.

MP is mayhem btw. Ugh.

And has the game been hacked? I got a speed challenge, only the target was 2500 km/h. :D

viveks86

Are the Norwegian lightweight time challenges doable with the mono or do you need the extra acceleration of the ariel? No matter how well I drive, I can't seem to get them.

I needed the acceleration for the lap time objective. Kept missing it by half a second on the mono. The atom helped shave off a whole second. My respect for the atom went up quite a bit after that event.

It's weird that the Atom is one of the cars I look forward to driving the most. Seems like it would be the most rewarding to master given its difficulty.

Is it still weird if there are 2 of us? :)

Matush

I actually managed to connect yesterday, so I joined a club. Multiplayer didnt work though.
Today I managed to play MP once, then got kicked off again.

MP is mayhem btw. Ugh.

And has the game been hacked? I got a speed challenge, only the target was 2500 km/h. :D
Truth to be told, right now I just want to create or join the club and earn fame for it, even if I'm playing offline. I don't care about MP racing, but still nothing...

dano1

A Sheep
I'm looking at this at a week to week basis. Is it better than last week. Yes. All you people expecting the game to fully be fixed in one day are in dreamland. Does this suck? Hell yeah! But I guarantee you this will be the best sim/ arcade racer ever made once everything is 100%. And I can wait for that!!

AndyD

aka andydumi
I would like for them to also fix the resolution of the club badge on the hood. It's blurry and without crisp edges. I don't think they are vector graphics, instead just blown up low res ones for the hood.

My college buddy and I currently have a LVL 5 (or 6) club. It's just the two of us, but we are huge GT fans and like racing clean and fast. If you are on the east coast of the US, (DC, Richmond, etc) and looking for a club, shoot me a PM.

Club 'Psygnosis'

MAN, last night I literally tried the Spyker drift 25-30 times in a row before I finally nailed it and got 7,457 of the 6,700 I needed. I really love this game, but man that challenge was ROUGH.

Top Bottom