• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

kyser73

Loving the Super 7s :)

Not too sure about the Jag tho - looks amazing (and you can see the XJ220 DNA in the body design), but feels a bit understeery on low speed corners.

Liking the new tours, but yeah, they are a lot easier - although TBF the Japanese tracks are all really easy to learn and drive, which helps.

Cudder

If anyone needs a club and plays the game a lot look up Toronto Six in Driveclub! Looking for a member to fill out the club.

I just made the 2 Venom Hot Laps in less than 10 minutes. Can't put into words how happy i am, i fucking love this game.

10945822_777991772248754_532021491697664044_o.jpg

10958350_777989688915629_503062929072543385_o.jpg

To counter my happiness, the console did'nt record any of the laps, don't know why when i press save video it only recorded the last 20 seconds, both times. ¬_¬*

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I wish some of the other members in our Club were more active, especially in entering the Challenges. We have a few ppl with very little Stars, one guy has about 35-40 I think. :-/

Man! Romanemporer is a drift monster! Beats all my challenges with ease. Quite humbled by it :D

Going to have to keep an eye on your Drift Challenges, I prefer them over Time Trials.

Shaneus

I wish some of the other members in our Club were more active, especially in entering the Challenges. We have a few ppl with very little Stars, one guy has about 35-40 I think. :-/
He was working towards it, I think? I don't know specifically who you're talking about.

Gen X

Wonder how well the game has been selling (and Season Pass attach rate) given the game wasn't received well by critics. I think the leaderboards exceeded 1 million unique users, could quite scroll down fat enough.

He was working towards it, I think? I don't know specifically who you're talking about.

I can't remember either, was just looking at the Fame of each member and noticed his stars were quite low.

In other news Shaneus, we're approaching the top 500. ;-)

lordxar

Accolades weren't bad. My closest was drifting so I just popped into a race with a track vs a p2p and drafted the shit out of those cars. Was a little boring but no way was I doing 100+ drift events lol.

nib95

Banned
The new vehicles are excellent additions. The audio from the ZR1 and Jaguar C-X75, just wow! The Jag especially. I was doing donuts and random throttle tempering for ages just so I could listen to all the audio notes.

The game does definitely seem easier though, at least the stars are anyway. Not to sound cocky, but I don't even bother to look at the stars with the new Tours, because unless it's a cornering guide one, I seem to get them all without even thinking about it. Luckily I have people like Auctopus, Shannow, Putty etc on my friends list, because their times are basically my new gold stars lol. Bloody hell are some of them challenging!

Posted a Club drift challenge to all of you, which I'm sure one of the clubs should be able to smash.

Shaneus

I can't remember either, was just looking at the Fame of each member and noticed his stars were quite low.

In other news Shaneus, we're approaching the top 500. ;-)
We are? Nice! Considering I'm not putting in anywhere near as much time as I'd like, this is good.

BTW if ever you know anyone IRL (or from elsewhere) who you know will commit like all hell to playing DC like we do, let me know. Don't need them online all the time, but to have people up for club challenges when they pop up would be a wonderful thing.

Did that drift challenge too, nudged out your score ;) Couldn't hit viveks one, but inched very close to it.

Gen X

BTW if ever you know anyone IRL (or from elsewhere) who you know will commit like all hell to playing DC like we do, let me know. Don't need them online all the time, but to have people up for club challenges when they pop up would be a wonderful thing

Actually, try Elf, he's been playing quite a bit, he's up to level 30+ when I last looked.

xrnzaaas

I only finished the APEX tour yesterday so I'd have something left for today. :) Yeah, they lowered the difficulty level (only the Caterham drift event required a few tries), but I don't mind it that much since I started to enjoy fighting for higher places on the leaderboards.

As for the new cars, here are my impressions:
- Caterham R500 Superlight - My favorite new car BY FAR. Very very enjoyable to drive (sliding through long corners is so much fun). Not the easiest easy one to handle, but certainly easier than KTM and Atom. Sadly it can't be used on tracks with long straights due to low top speed.
- Chevy Corvette ZR1 - Solid car. It's reasonably fast and it handles ok so I'll probably be choosing it frequently.
- Enzo Ferrari - One of the easiest cars to drive, but sadly it's not as fast as other hyper cars so you can lose a lot places when you're up against strong AI or good players.
- Icona Vulcano - Horrible car to drive, it's very fast for its class, but the crappy handling makes you lose more time. I love its interior, though.
- Jaguar C-X75 - It's a type of a car that looks good in your garage, but that's about it.
- McLaren 650S Coupe - Not much to say, handles the same as 12C. Safe choice for most events.

PS. Have you guys noticed that Enzo can be used to catapult other cars (is it because of its 'nose')? Happened to me about 10 times already in singleplayer.

nib95

Banned
I only finished the APEX tour yesterday so I'd have something left for today. :) Yeah, they lowered the difficulty level (only the Caterham drift event required a few tries), but I don't mind it that much since I started to enjoy fighting for higher places on the leaderboards.

As for the new cars, here are my impressions:
- Caterham R500 Superlight - My favorite new car BY FAR. Very very enjoyable to drive (sliding through long corners is so much fun). Not the easiest easy one to handle, but certainly easier than KTM and Atom. Sadly it can't be used on tracks with long straights due to low top speed.
- Chevy Corvette ZR1 - Solid car. It's reasonably fast and it handles ok so I'll probably be choosing it frequently.
- Enzo Ferrari - One of the easiest cars to drive, but sadly it's not as fast as other hyper cars so you can lose a lot places when you're up against strong AI or good players.
- Icona Vulcano - Horrible car to drive, it's very fast for its class, but the crappy handling makes you lose more time. I love its interior, though.
- Jaguar C-X75 - It's a type of a car that looks good in your garage, but that's about it.
- McLaren 650S Coupe - Not much to say, handles the same as 12C. Safe choice for most events.

PS. Have you guys noticed that Enzo can be used to catapult other cars (is it because of its 'nose')? Happened to me about 10 times already in singleplayer.

The Enzo and Zonda R are especially good at flinging cars over them. Most probably because of the nose aerodynamics.

The new vehicles are excellent additions. The audio from the ZR1 and Jaguar C-X75, just wow! The Jag especially. I was doing donuts and random throttle tempering for ages just so I could listen to all the audio notes.

The game does definitely seem easier though, at least the stars are anyway. Not to sound cocky, but I don't even bother to look at the stars with the new Tours, because unless it's a cornering guide one, I seem to get them all without even thinking about it. Luckily I have people like Auctopus, Shannow, Putty etc on my friends list, because their times are basically my new gold stars lol. Bloody hell are some of them challenging!

Posted a Club drift challenge to all of you, which I'm sure one of the clubs should be able to smash.

The leaderboards are pretty much the only reason to do any event more than once, but maybe that's what Evo are thinking - I know it's a hell of a motivation when I see you guys above me on the leaderboard where casuals probably don't have that many friends on the game.

Online multiplayer has been a bit more annoying recently, there seems to have been an increase in the number of tools playing (or maybe I've just been unlucky) At least there's MP time trial now to escape the carnage - it can't really replace the feeling of a good overtaking move tho.

http://youtu.be/qQtXZryTl_Y

I was quite pleased with this run of hard but fair overtakes but the finish was a bit annoying!

Is anyone else having problems with leaderboards?

I've been running challenges all night and 90% of the time it's not registering my scores.

Had some really killer runs too, so it's disappointing to get 13 000 on a drift event and not have it sync up. I was getting lots of server disconnects earlier but I just tried again, I'm online and connected and it's simply not acknowledging my progress.

Really fucking frustrating, I might have to take a break until this gets fixed. It didn't start until I left my club and joined a new one, though that might just be coincidence.

Yup. Just beat my previous score on a challenge and it didn't update it with my new score.

I'm done. Hope it works on the weekend

I've had this happen to me once and lost a challenge because of it, and yeah it sucks :-( I think the servers were probably getting battered last night with more people on the new tours - hopefully that'll improve.

xrnzaaas

Dat engine sound though.

Yeah it's easy to forget how cool some of the cars sound when you're driving with a (distant) external cam. :) The Jag is probably my least favorite new DLC car even though it looks like it's a beast. I drove a multiplayer race against it and despite good driving my Huayra couldn't keep up (KERS really helps).

danowat

Banned
Dat engine sound though.

And it's only a 4 cylinder!!! go figure!

I want to touch on the complaining about the difficulty.

It appears, at least to me, that there is a bit of hyperbole and maybe a bit of macho posturing about the decrease in difficulty, I'll agree that it is easier than the previous DLC's, but then I would say the previous difficulties were spiked from the original tour.

The new DLC tours are probably about in line with the original tour, and if you are an experience player, you'll likely have little trouble, but I don't think it's the complete push over for most players that has been purported.

desu

Nope, barely anyone but me plays in my club lol. Might do a bit of house cleaning to try and get some new active members just whilst we level up the Club.

Are there even any active members except you and me? I feel like some peiople hat the same level as today when I joined the club in December.

nib95

Banned
And it's only a 4 cylinder!!! go figure!

The real thing is probably artificially sound modified. A lot of the car manufacturers are doing this now, since the new engines by default are much, much quieter, but most buyers still desire the aggressive and stand out sound.

Are there even any active members except you and me? I feel like some peiople hat the same level as today when I joined the club in December.

Don't think so. But Bananafactory joined our ranks today and he plays a fair amount, so there should be at least 3 of us now that are fairly active.

danowat

Banned
The real thing is probably artificially sound modified. A lot of the car manufacturers are doing this now, since the new engines by default are much, much quieter, but most buyers still desire the aggressive and stand out sound.

I dunno, it's a 500bhp 1.6 litre twin charged engine, I reckon it probably sounds like the hounds of hell without artificial sound modification!

Don't think so. But Bananafactory joined our ranks today and he plays a fair amount, so there should be at least 3 of us now that are fairly active.

Any spaces left? The club I'm currently in isn't very active.

Edit: Searched for the club, saw that it's open join. I've joined now. Hope you don't mind. :p

psychotron

I want to touch on the complaining about the difficulty.

It appears, at least to me, that there is a bit of hyperbole and maybe a bit of macho posturing about the decrease in difficulty, I'll agree that it is easier than the previous DLC's, but then I would say the previous difficulties were spiked from the original tour.

The new DLC tours are probably about in line with the original tour, and if you are an experience player, you'll likely have little trouble, but I don't think it's the complete push over for most players that has been purported.

I agree. This game still provides plenty of challenge, it's just those that were able to best the harder DLC's find these easy.

Melchiah

Nice. Side note, neck and neck in that shot lol. Well almost.

It was a pretty tight race, that kept me on the edge of my seat.

On a side note, I've had to reach the club level 20 mostly by myself, as the other two haven't played the game that much after the first couple of months. Hopefully at some point more of my friends will get the game, as I kinda prefer the idea that the club consists of people I know IRL. A friend of mine became immediately interested in the game, when I mentioned it's the Demon's Souls of racing games. ;)

Hey guys, just got #Driveclub the other day during the 10% discount offer thing and I have to admit, it's much better than I expected! XD

Actually, it's great! LOL!

I've only just completed the Rookie Cup (or whatever its called) and can't wait to move on to bigger and faster cars!

Game looks damn beautiful too! So blow away by it!

Is there a neoGAF #DRIVECLUB? Can anyone join? Any info would be much appreciated! ^_^

Ted

Really fucking frustrating, I might have to take a break until this gets fixed. It didn't start until I left my club and joined a new one, though that might just be coincidence.

Join the club.

I saw that annoying red can't connect message and didn't even bother trying to race online. I've wasted enough of my time already this week already trying to find the magic combo that actually allows me to connect.

I've had this happen to me once and lost a challenge because of it, and yeah it sucks :-( I think the servers were probably getting battered last night with more people on the new tours - hopefully that'll improve.

If it's still a capacity issue four months after launch then it doesn't give me much faith going forward! They've had what, nearly four months to either make code or infrastructure optimisations and if not, start to mitigate for the lack of progress there with brute force.

And they've still surely got to fulfill that PS+ release promise which almost guarantees to bring additional users.

Because of the online issues I just played a little SP last night and completed the professional championship/trophy. It was quite fun though it has cemented my dislike for modern 911 variants (I used the RUF). The engine position and conventional interior layout makes the driving position so sit-up and beg that when you accelerate hard and the nose rises it makes you feel like you need a booster seat.

It's almost a little bit too fast for this event as well, I was taking three, four or five positions off the line before turn one in each of the races. I made a plenty of mistakes though so that kept the AI more than in contention most of the time.

Race one was a little weird in terms of pack splits. I had to really reel in second and third even though the initial pack were easy to get through. Once I was through the pack and chasing second and third they seemed to step up the pace and the gap between the leaders and the pack shrunk almost entirely.

I'm starting to agree with some of the AI complaints, I treat them pretty fairly in most cases yet they still at times move right over on me on a straight as if I weren't even there. It's not often but I can see how it could really ruin someones race if they were already pushing beyond their limit to win.

Check out from around 1:20 in race three below. At 1:32 the other RUF just moves over left to right as if I wasn't even there, despite me being pretty much level with its front wing. Then at the end of the next straight (about 1:50) if I hadn't expected it and backed out the AI would have just taken it's standard, outside, inside, outside line and been straight into my right hand rear quarter panel, probably wrecking me.

Professional Championship - Race 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX8AYwLmmV0

Professional Championship - Race 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44DoNtzjgD0

Professional Championship - Race 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowH1XfawBg

Onward to the final events.

This game takes on some amazing qualities if you race with a realistic compulsion *not* to hit the other drivers. Currently there's no real mental planning of overtakes, it's simply 'I'm going faster than this guy in front, I'm coming through'.

Try it. Imagine it's your car and you'd be paying for the repair bill. If I could request anything with the game in future, I would love to see huge incentives to race clean. Maybe tour events where impacts reduce your chances of qualifying for a star. I'd love to see this applied to multiplayer also but I don't think players care enough about their fame score for it to be an incentive.

Goldrusher

Is anyone else having problems with leaderboards?

I've been running challenges all night and 90% of the time it's not registering my scores.

Had some really killer runs too, so it's disappointing to get 13 000 on a drift event and not have it sync up. I was getting lots of server disconnects earlier but I just tried again, I'm online and connected and it's simply not acknowledging my progress.

Yes!

Happens way too often.

edit: Just happened again with a drift challenge.
edit 2: And again after a retry.
edit 3: And again after going back to the main menu.

Véry frustrating.

Decided to randomly switch up the Club Emblem a bit. Lets see everyone else's!

Thats very cool :)

Join the club.

I saw that annoying red can't connect message and didn't even bother trying to race online. I've wasted enough of my time already this week already trying to find the magic combo that actually allows me to connect.

If it's still a capacity issue four months after launch then it doesn't give me much faith going forward! They've had what, nearly four months to either make code or infrastructure optimisations and if not, start to mitigate for the lack of progress there with brute force.

The online was actually working fine despite the messages (well for those of us that don't have the connection issues) but it seemed like the Faceoff side was struggling hence the server messages. I don't know if it was a capacity issue or if it was just down for maintenance, but the release of DLC does tend to bring people back onto the game in greater numbers.

This game takes on some amazing qualities if you race with a realistic compulsion *not* to hit the other drivers. Currently there's no real mental planning of overtakes, it's simply 'I'm going faster than this guy in front, I'm coming through'.

Try it. Imagine it's your car and you'd be paying for the repair bill. If I could request anything with the game in future, I would love to see huge incentives to race clean. Maybe tour events where impacts reduce your chances of qualifying for a star. I'd love to see this applied to multiplayer also but I don't think players care enough about their fame score for it to be an incentive.

I'd like to see restricted servers in MP where you have to be a level 50 to play, harsher collision penalties and the grid limited to 6 players. These could be ranked servers where your results are worth points and you lose a lot of points for quitting. I think that could improve the quality of racing a lot - however the points / ranking thing could lead to a lot of blocking as it's the guy behind who would get the collision penalty in the current system.

Top Bottom