• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

TEH-CJ

Banned
Well guys I figured out what was wrong. I bought a new 4k Sony bravia a month ago and ever since then I have noticed my lap times were not as good and the handling of the cars felt a lot heavier. I dismissed it thinking it was all in my head or maybe the handling was tweaked with a patch.

on my old panny I ran a world record time with the Atom that is extremely hard for anyone to come close to. Usually I can get pretty close, maybe within a second off. Well ever since my new tv I am a whole whopping 5 seconds off! and I always consistent with my old tv!

Turns out its input lag on my Sony Bravia...I have it in game mode and its still very noticeable compared to my old Panasonic GT30 :(

input lag is around 40ms. Is that considered bad for gaming? does anyone have the same model TV that can offer some advice?

TV model is Sony Bravia x9000b

Well guys I figured out what was wrong. I bought a new 4k Sony bravia a month ago and ever since then I have noticed my lap times were not as good and the handling of the cars felt a lot heavier. I dismissed it thinking it was all in my head or maybe the handling was tweaked with a patch.

on my old panny I ran a world record time with the Atom that is extremely hard for anyone to come close to. Usually I can get pretty close, maybe within a second off. Well ever since my new tv I am a whole whopping 5 seconds off! and I always consistent with my old tv!

Turns out its input lag on my Sony Bravia...I have it in game mode and its still very noticeable compared to my old Panasonic GT30 :(

input lag is around 40ms. Is that considered bad for gaming? does anyone have the same model TV that can offer some advice?

What track & conditions bud? I fancy a crack at it :)

33ms is a single frame at 30fps but how do you know what the input lag figure is, and how does it compare to your old tv? I know how tricky it is dealing with input lag (see my vita remotely play vid on the previous page) but 5 seconds difference seems excessive for a single frame extra delay - I'd guess it's the upscaling that's causing it. For reference DF talk about a 100-133ms lag using remote play.

Melchiah

From what I've read 40ms and below should be ok for most people. My Bravia 40W5500 has about that in the game mode, and I didn't notice any change in Wipeout HD when I switched to it from the old Trinitron tube TV. I have no experiences on playing on plasma though.

BraXzy

I still really suck at drifting. I just don't get how people do it really well :/

When I go round I even go too wide and go off the track or go to sharp and spin out.

Anarion07

I still really suck at drifting. I just don't get how people do it really well :/

When I go round I even go too wide and go off the track or go to sharp and spin out.

With every car and track condition you should first check how your car reacts to easing off gas, flooring it or braking, while your car is drifting. helps a lot

Skii

Judging the entry speed is half the battle admittedly but you should also try feathering the throttle whilst drifting.

MMaRsu

Turn off game mode mate, see if you can change the input to recognize it as a pc, you will barely have input lag. Hope it helps

Do you have a 'custom' or 'user' setting? If so, try using that, and make sure to turn off the 'smooth motion' bullshit settings if there are any. Those just increase input lag.

sneaky77

A lot of retries lol at least for me thats how I've gotten all the stars so far (new dlc pending)

Hey, Viveks:

16215836210_8d968276c2_o.jpg

come-at-me-bro.jpg

Please don't. It took me ages to beat you. XD

Jamesways

I wish some of the other members in our Club were more active, especially in entering the Challenges. We have a few ppl with very little Stars, one guy has about 35-40 I think. :-/

Going to have to keep an eye on your Drift Challenges, I prefer them over Time Trials.

We are? Nice! Considering I'm not putting in anywhere near as much time as I'd like, this is good.

BTW if ever you know anyone IRL (or from elsewhere) who you know will commit like all hell to playing DC like we do, let me know. Don't need them online all the time, but to have people up for club challenges when they pop up would be a wonderful thing.

Did that drift challenge too, nudged out your score ;) Couldn't hit viveks one, but inched very close to it.

Sorry guys, I haven't been on consistently the past two weeks. I've had to pack up and move the entire house as we had contractors come in to do lead abatement work. They're done now, and I have a house to unpack, but I'll be on more. Please don't give me the boot, at level 50, main tour done, just haven't had much time for challenges or new events yet.

Plus the few times I've gotten to jump on I've been hooked on MotoGP again, got to get my fix of real world circuit racing before pCARS. But I'll be back on DC soon.

nib95

Banned
Hey, Viveks:

16215836210_8d968276c2_o.jpg

come-at-me-bro.jpg

Please don't. It took me ages to beat you. XD

My man!

denzel-smoking.gif

Are all other post processing titbits turned off? You may find it's better to have it on Cinema/THX mode, but just switch all additional processing off, as it tends to add to function time and input response. Things like Advanced Motion, Noise Reduction, Contrast Enhancer, Colour Booster and everything else like that. Try googling for ISF calibration settings for the set, and experiment with those. Generally such settings have all excess stuff turned off.

EDIT: Here's a post I found with some settings.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-621793/sony-xbr-65x900b-picture-settings/

Review:
http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr-65x900b/

Related products:
XBR-55X900B
XBR-79X900B

Calibration report using these settings:
[see below]

TV software/firmware version tested: PKG2.164AAA

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Sony XBR-65X900B in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: As I've come to expect from Sony TV review samples I receive, the XBR-X900B was almost perfect out of the box in its Cinema 1 setting. I chose that setting over Cinema 2 because Sony described the latter as having more aggressive dimming, and that's true--I measured a particularly dark gamma in that preset.

The main thing I did was reduce light output to my target 40 fL (default for Cinema 1 was a very bright 70) and tweak the grayscale very slightly to remove the tiny blue/green push. Colors were almost spot-on, with only blue (the color where errors are the least-visible to the eye) undersaturated enough to cause a perceptible error, and then just barely.

I did play around with the TV's MotionFlow settings to determine their impact on light output. Starting at the standard 40 fL, selecting Clear (29.7 fL), Clear Plus (19.8) and Impulse (10 fL) all reduced light output quite a bit. I ended up avoiding all of them for reasons described in the Video Processing section of the review. Also, check out that section for details on the Reality Creation settings.

Note that the settings below were obtained during my standard calibration, so they apply for non-4K only. I didn't perform a calibration for 4K, but judging from the accuracy of Cinema 1, I would recommend using that preset (perhaps with the same Backlight setting I used below) with 4K sources too.

PIcture settings (non-4K sources)

Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Backlight: 1
Picture: 93
Brightness: 50
Color: 46
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Off
Smooth Gradation: Low
Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: Auto

Advanced Settings sub menu
Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Low
Gamma: -2
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance [see below]
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]
Display Speed Preference: Off [greyed out]

White Balance sub-menu
R-Gain 0
G-Gain -2
B-Gain -2
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0

Preferences
Scene Select: Cinema
Eco sub-menu
Power Saving: Off
Scene Select Synch: Off
Light Sensor: Off

Is it bad that I want to buy this game just because it looks soooooo pretty????
I like racing games but I've only played the arcade kind like burnout and some NFS quite a while ago.

Skii

Really enjoying the new cars, especially the Enzo. Also, the new Japan tracks are great, I haven't really had the chance to play them until now. However, the events are indeed too easy. I'm really disappointed.

Ferr986

I think this is my favorite car in the game. I love managing the boost and strategically open the wings!

Yeah! It adds a new layer to the gameplay. I love it, even if I struggle a little with Hyper cars lol

Is it bad that I want to buy this game just because it looks soooooo pretty????
I like racing games but I've only played the arcade kind like burnout and some NFS quite a while ago.

I was like you. I only play arcade racers (Outrun, NFS), and got the game basically by the looks.

Well, let me say you that I love this game. Yeah, its not full 100% arcade, and yeah it kicks my ass in the later tour sections, but its really fun and polished.

Even if I didn't even complete the main tour , I'm having a lot of fun just trying the Challenges or playing online mode.

With that said don't expect the cars to handle like Burnout or NFS or Ridge Racer, but its also not like a sim. It's easy to start playing but it will take a while to learn to drive the faster cars.

OK, I might buy it later tonight, will report my thoughts.

If you do decide to buy it, the first few races might not leave the best impression, but I promise the game just gets better and better the more you progress. I started loving it when I started using the sports cars, that's what the game 'clicked' for me.

Oh, and just a tip - try turning the HUD off for full immersion. You don't need most of that junk cluttering your screen up anyways. :p

thectzn

Neo Member
Finally picked up the Season Pass. Loving this game even more now and I didn't think that would be possible! Money well spent.

TEH-CJ

Banned
What track & conditions bud? I fancy a crack at it :)

33ms is a single frame at 30fps but how do you know what the input lag figure is, and how does it compare to your old tv? I know how tricky it is dealing with input lag (see my vita remotely play vid on the previous page) but 5 seconds difference seems excessive for a single frame extra delay - I'd guess it's the upscaling that's causing it. For reference DF talk about a 100-133ms lag using remote play.

Hey mate. Its the second track on India, Munnar reverse? the time is 2:12:242

I have checked the reviews on the Sony Bravia and the input lag sits at around about 40ms. My old pannasonic GT30 had input lag at around about 20ms. Huge difference! yeah the upscaling is more than likely the issues. Although the tv has some hefty speakers. I wonder if sound processing adds input lag?

From what I've read 40ms and below should be ok for most people. My Bravia 40W5500 has about that in the game mode, and I didn't notice any change in Wipeout HD when I switched to it from the old Trinitron tube TV. I have no experiences on playing on plasma though.

I might have to adapt to it. But it always feels like I have to compensate when I play.

Turn off game mode mate, see if you can change the input to recognize it as a pc, you will barely have input lag. Hope it helps

Hey mate thanks for the advice. I have switched the input to PC mode but I do not see much difference. I will do some more testing and report back!

Do you have a 'custom' or 'user' setting? If so, try using that, and make sure to turn off the 'smooth motion' bullshit settings if there are any. Those just increase input lag.

I have tried switching to custom and that brings the input lag at 140ms O_O I have turned all processing off....but I wonder if I should turn sound processing off as well?

My man!

denzel-smoking.gif

Are all other post processing titbits turned off? You may find it's better to have it on Cinema/THX mode, but just switch all additional processing off, as it tends to add to function time and input response. Things like Advanced Motion, Noise Reduction, Contrast Enhancer, Colour Booster and everything else like that. Try googling for ISF calibration settings for the set, and experiment with those. Generally such settings have all excess stuff turned off.

EDIT: Here's a post I found with some settings.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-621793/sony-xbr-65x900b-picture-settings/

Thanks a lot for that bro. Unfortunately anything other than Game mode brings the input lag number to 140ms and over!

what is odd, using my old Panny in THX mode actually had less input lag compared to game mode lol. Not the case with this new tv however :(

Top Bottom