• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I'm struggling to keep track of whose who if your PSN name is different to your GAF name as I've got that many new Driveclub friends! Can I ask if you'd put your GAF name in the about me section of your PSN profile if the 2 names are completely different? Helps my aging mind keep track! :)

I'm struggling to keep track of whose who if your PSN name is different to your GAF name as I've got that many new Driveclub friends! Can I ask if you'd put your GAF name in the about me section of your PSN profile if the 2 names are completely different? Helps my aging mind keep track! :)

God damn I've been using PSN since day 1 and I totally forgot there's an about me field. Lol. I added my GAF name there

If Shuhei would just let us change our PSN names this wouldnt be an issue :mad:

Duallusion

Yeah they fixed it to an extent but it does still reward the act of drifting to a complete stop into a wall, then climbing back onto the track and continuing.

One solution could be a simple completion time bonus in addition to the speed+drift points that get accumulated, and give harsher penalties for collisions and going off track in drift events. (ie - rather than simply losing fame, you also lose drift points too)

Yeah, this so much, although I'd also like a stoping/spinning around penalty. Instead of trying to balance these changes with scores already posted they could make a new kind of event in which you have to drift/be fast around a whole lap; a merge of time trials and drift events of sorts. With these changes it could actually work.

Does anyone else feel like club challenges are just solo challenges? What really separates club and solo challenges other than allowing more people to participate?

A lot of my friend's have stopped participating in club challenges because once someone posts a top time they feel less inclined to participate for their club because they know they don't have the skills to beat the time.

Do you feel club challenges should be based off of the top person's time only or do you think it should be based off an average of all club members? For example if club A posts a time of 1:20 and another of 1:40 and club B posts times of 1:25 and 1:30 should club A still take the win or should club B because they had a better average?

I think solo challenges are fine as is because it's like a shoot out between 2 drivers. I think club challenges need more incentives for everyone to participate.

Tommi84

Is there anywhere where you can see a map of this game's courses?
They are visible during the game when you choose a course. However, as I'm guessing you may not have the game, here's the screenshot:
imNNa300yLz00.jpg

Sorry for my almost 0.00km driven :( - not enough time lately. Will do better!!

Having connectivity issues at the moment. Clubs and challenges won't load/update.

Same for me I gave up an hour ago, couldn't access any club stuff and it locked me out of my cars. And I had challenge problems the other night where the game wouldn't register my times or scores despite repeated tries. It's been a rough weekend this is the worst I've seen the servers on quite some time, hopefully it's just a hiccup

Same for me I gave up an hour ago, couldn't access any club stuff and it locked me out of my cars. And I had challenge problems the other night where the game wouldn't register my times or scores despite repeated tries. It's been a rough weekend this is the worst I've seen the servers on quite some time, hopefully it's just a hiccup

They've been dodgy for me this morning, annoyingly lodging a low score on the leaderboards and not updating it with higher scores no matter what I did :-(

I saw the GAF name on Viveks about me section and thought it was a good idea :)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Or make your real name your Gaf name. ;-)

UV-6

Yeah, servers are down here as well (UK).

So will the leaderboards update when back up or do you essentially lose your times when the servers are down?

Does anyone else feel like club challenges are just solo challenges? What really separates club and solo challenges other than allowing more people to participate?

A lot of my friend's have stopped participating in club challenges because once someone posts a top time they feel less inclined to participate for their club because they know they don't have the skills to beat the time.

Do you feel club challenges should be based off of the top person's time only or do you think it should be based off an average of all club members? For example if club A posts a time of 1:20 and another of 1:40 and club B posts times of 1:25 and 1:30 should club A still take the win or should club B because they had a better average?

I think solo challenges are fine as is because it's like a shoot out between 2 drivers. I think club challenges need more incentives for everyone to participate.

I think many clubs just don't have that many members that are active and do challenges - I'm in one of the most active clubs and a third of us don't do challenges, setting a minimum entry to 2 runs might kill club challenges altogether rather than providing more incentive. I do get what you mean, that there should be something club oriented to differentiate from the solo challenges but I'm not sure what it should be.

Yeah, servers are down here as well (UK).

So will the leaderboards update when back up or do you essentially lose your times when the servers are down?

Yep they're gone, and unless you beat that time it won't be sent to the leaderboards in my experience.

Tommi84

setting a minimum entry to 2 runs might kill club challenges altogether rather than providing more incentive.
One solution could be adding a, let's say, +5sec penalty added to the best score in the club for each of the clubmember that didn't take part in the challenge. So even if one club got worse best score, due to the fact that more people from that club raced, they will win over a club where only one player raced and had better run.

MP Time Trials can be pretty intense. Sometimes I find it all too easy because everyone else is sucks ballz, last night I did the opening lap then set a proper time on lap 2 as you get a faster run off the last corner than the initial start and then I just watched the menus, job done.

But just had a few close ones. Really intense on on Los Psomething, was driving around at the same time as the contender for the top spot. Really awesome to see where you're gaining and losing ground on them.

The two quickest laps ended up being the last laps and the crossed the line set a new target and I followed just behind and nabbed it right at the death having trailed the whole session.

One solution could be adding a, let's say, +5sec penalty added to the best score in the club for each of the clubmember that didn't take part in the challenge. So even if one club got worse best score, due to the fact that more people from that club raced, they will win over a club where only one player raced and had better run.

I don't think they need to complicate things but it would be good to see something more from club challenges - a reason for all 6 of us to get into every challenge and give it our best shot. It's not just people from my own club it's a lot of clubs that are feeling it.

Almost done the main tour. I cannot figure out why I'm having so much trouble getting the lap time star on this Norwegian race in the final (Legend) set. 1:23. I keep running perfect laps in my Mono and still a second too late -_-

Deband

Anyone got a club I can join? Just renewed Plus today. Also anyone add me if they like I have no friends /sadface. PSN name is Debandoo.

Looking at that list right now. Only problem is its 660 peeps long and I have no idea if these people still play. Whats the max friends you can have? and can I add all somehow?

unfortunately there's no "add all" option. so you have to add 1 at a time. but the good news is you can have up to 2000 PSN friends. I recommend adding a good chunk of them (maybe 100), then go into Driveclub and look at their levels, and remove anyone who's a really low level (which means they probably dont play much unless they just got the game).

Even if you get 20 active players you should be receiving lots of challenges.

Putty

Lol ok, I'll set a challenge up tonight if you haven't already done one :)

Just nipped on and did 4 runs, the quickest being 5 seconds off CJ's pace (but still ranked 5th in the world) so I've sent the challenge out to everyone on my friends list with that time.

Since this morning someone has set a 3:08 which I don't think is coincidence - it's easy to forget that it's not just gaffers or posters who see this stuff, and mentioning a quickest time on here is like waving a red flag to a bull!

I'm down to 3:12,777 and my nerves are shredded. If someone's done a 3:08 I'll be calling shenanigans....

Some of the more active players in here off the top of my head:

Weak_Spot
CJ_SPARTA
NIBZY
viveksundaram
DHC-Shannow
zeroskater18 (me)
Unknown_Hero
Anthonynputson
Lukas_Japonicus
DidntKnowJack

Add those guys and you should get some challenges :)

Almost done the main tour. I cannot figure out why I'm having so much trouble getting the lap time star on this Norwegian race in the final (Legend) set. 1:23. I keep running perfect laps in my Mono and still a second too late -_-

I might remember wrong but that might a case where you have to use the Atom. It was in this or the first OT, probably.

farmerboy

Ahem, just so you all know, sometimes my shit times can be explained by me having to get to other responsibilities, thus leaving me with a challenge time well down the leaderboard.

I promise that's the truth.

Other times it's just cause I'm shit.

krioto

Some of the more active players in here off the top of my head:

Weak_Spot
CJ_SPARTA
NIBZY
viveksundaram
DHC-Shannow
zeroskater18 (me)
Unknown_Hero
Anthonynputson
Lukas_Japonicus
DidntKnowJack

Add those guys and you should get some challenges :)

and me 'krioto' - I play every night but just don't post that much

I'm down to 3:12,777 and my nerves are shredded. If someone's done a 3:08 I'll be calling shenanigans....

The ghost of that guy was on when I set the challenge (dunno if it's been working for you) and he was out of sight by the time I got to the hairpin!

LoveCake

I have Forza Horizon 2 & am loving it, i also have CARS on order for my PS4, i did want the free DriveClub version, but i can get it new for £21.85 & i have seen videos comparing DriveClub on PS4 & CARS PS4 & it has to be worth £22? i spent £100 odd on the GT5 signature edition & i still feel thoroughly ripped off & regret buying it to this day :(

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a few things though?

1) There has been a lot of additional content added, will i also get this in a update.

2) How big is the current install with all the 'new content' included.

3) How is it online, connection-wise, i know all the races are online but have heard people having issues with connection/server drop-out, i cannot imagine anything more frustrating getting into 1st place near the end of the race only for the connection/server to drop-out.

4) How is it with the cars, i mean i don't want to have to spend a age in rubbish cars, i don't want though to just be able to jump into a hyper-car from the get go, but i don't want to have to really grind to get to that level.

5) Is there a UK GAF club i can join, you can use other members cars & what-not i think?

I have Forza Horizon 2 & am loving it, i also have CARS on order for my PS4, i did want the free DriveClub version, but i can get it new for £21.85 & i have seen videos comparing DriveClub on PS4 & CARS PS4 & it has to be worth £22? i spent £100 odd on the GT5 signature edition & i still feel thoroughly ripped off & regret buying it to this day :(

1) There has been a lot of additional content added, will i also get this in a update.

3) How is it online, connection-wise, i know all the races are online but have heard people having issues with connection/server drop-out, i cannot imagine anything more frustrating getting into 1st place near the end of the race only for the connection/server to drop-out.

4) How is it with the cars, i mean i don't want to have to spend a age in rubbish cars, i don't want though to just be able to jump into a hyper-car from the get go, but i don't want to have to really grind to get to that level.

5) Is there a UK GAF club i can join, you can use other members cars & what-not i think?

1. All of the content is included in the game patches, which should download automatically. So you'll have all the tracks, cars, etc downloaded and installed, but the ones that are part of the season pass/DLC will be locked for you. (All tracks are free, so only cars/paints are locked away)

2. The current install size, fully patched, is 21.62 GB

3. I've never had a server drop in the middle of a race. I'd say the online is 95% reliable, you'll see leaderboards slow to load sometimes and get the odd matchmaking error, but the online racing works pretty great at this point.

4. The first race the game puts you in is a really bad first impression, it's one of the less impressive locations graphically, and the car is slow and brokeass. However the level progression is quick and rewarding and you'll constantly be unlocking new fast cars if you keep playing. It never feels like a grind.

5. Certain cars are "Club cars" and unlocked when your club reaches a certain level. Any points you earn while you're in a club will contribute to that club level as well as your own. So if you earn 100 000 fame doing a tour event, you get that XP and so does your club. Clubs take more XP to level up, of course, since they are designed to have 6 people contributing. Just find a UK club on here with an open spot and if they are over level 15 then you'll have all club cars unlocked for you.

Shaneus

Not so fast, boys! ;)

1606309_1545130239068777_7450320277273945937_o.jpg
Shit. I only had a chance to play it during the first two days of the challenge, I know I could've gone much better than 14k but didn't have the time. Not surprised it went to 17k, that's about what I guessed I could get on a perfect run.

Nice work!

Field

1) There were a few free cars I downloaded manually from the store. So make sure to check if there are any free addons after you install the game. I got the game 2 weeks ago.

Ted

Has anyone ever had the game black screen on restarting after a reasonable length of time paused (10 or 15 minutes)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN5c7SILwa8

I could PS button back to the OS and close the application but it was weird.

On unrelated note, I still can't get into many online MP events so I have spent a long time looking at this screen:

It strikes me that almost everything in the top middle container is either unessential or repeated elsewhere. I wondered if that which isn't could be moved elsewhere (there is room under the party section and a long largely empty bar where the loading icon sits that could house these easily enough) and instead this container could show something useful like a track map?

Which reminds me, when I was trying to join events tonight and got a matchmaking error, the next event I joined then magically transformed when the timer ran out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51M1W4N1NzU

Grr, just work!

Still, gets me doing the single player, something I don't always do in driving games. I've now done the Venom hotlap and all the drifts events and now nearly have enough stars to do the final tour event. Still only level 34 so a way to go before getting to 50 and filling enough accolades for the trophy.

This game takes on some amazing qualities if you race with a realistic compulsion *not* to hit the other drivers. Currently there's no real mental planning of overtakes, it's simply 'I'm going faster than this guy in front, I'm coming through'.

Try it. Imagine it's your car and you'd be paying for the repair bill.

I couldn't agree more (and enjoyed the video) and I have been using the single event mode to do exactly that.

Driving as you describe in sports or performance class with three or four other cars, legendary AI, dynamic weather and random skies, crowds and HUD off is one of the games high points for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bctYwPkOnpM

At times even the legendary AI spoil the illusion of clean racing but for the most part it's good enough to be plenty immersive.

I do wish there was a slightly faster AI level so on the thinner tracks getting clean overtakes didn't mean having to sandbag a little at parts where overtaking clean just isn't going to happen.

Taking this concept further I have even started taking a road car onto courses which have a centre dividing line and driving as if it were an early morning spirited drive. Push on in that way that we all have on a small local road we know well after getting up at and out at 5am to enjoy the roads with no traffic. Y'know, where you wouldn't want the police to see but hey at least you're on the right side of the road mostly...

As an added bonus, it changes your lines so much, it's almost like having a new course variant.

Driving like a sunday morning b-road blast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTXoPYG3HjI

Same track, using all the road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCG5cGsbl1o

I think in this sense Driveclub and the arcade with a side order of basic real world concepts driving model does a great job of making you feel like a hero. Sim racers generally punish every tiny mistake and remind me why I'm not talented enough to be a race car driver whereas as long as you're vaguely competent, Driveclub will let you take a few liberties and still get it all facing the right way again.

That's not to say the driving is easy but it is nice and approachable and really gives "feel good" vibe.

Even the super and hyper cars feel good; fast and edgy but without feeling out of control. The only criticism I would have at this speed is that in many cases it all feels a little binary with too little ability to play at the edges of grip. I guess the only way I could describe it is that in a hyper class car a corner becomes either "right" or "wrong" with very little middle ground like there is in the slower classes. And yes of course, to be right at the top of the leader boards the gap between right and wrong are low regardless of class but for the non-aliens amongst us, these lower classes feel like they have higher tolerances. :)

TEH-CJ

Banned
The ghost of that guy was on when I set the challenge (dunno if it's been working for you) and he was out of sight by the time I got to the hairpin!

Not possible. For someone to be 4 seconds faster in a atom. In another car yeah I can believe it, but not in a atom :)

can you check if he did the time in the atom mate?

Top Bottom