• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Putty

Not possible. For someone to be 4 seconds faster in a atom. In another car yeah I can believe it, but not in a atom :)

can you check if he did the time in the atom mate?

I'll take a look mate. If I'm 4 tenths off your time which ain't posted, his ghost should show up.

valkyre

Before I start my rant, I have to provide my "credentials" , so as not to be labeled a "hater" or anything similar along these lines.

I have completed and acquired all 495 stars that the game offers. In that sense I obviously have enjoyed a lot of aspects of the game, since I went through the trouble of earning all stars/challenges.

But having said that, the A.I. of this game is absolute, utter shit.

I dont know what people say but this thing is bullshit in that department.

Start a 3-4 lap race. Literally go take a piss while your opponents are off racing. Return after taking your glorious bathroom break and start racing while the A.I. is almost a lap ahead of you. Marvel at your ridiculous Alonso skills while you manage to not only catch up with the A.I. but also finish in the top spots, even 1st!

Amazing isnt it? You are so awesome!

Restart the same race again. Only this time race from the beginning normally. Marvel at the A.I. being always in threatening position, only a few tenths of a second behind you irregardless of how incredibly well or shit you may be playing.

This is ridiculous. Frustrating, cheap and poor game design.

Should I talk about the ridiculous way the A.I. behaves in general? Going amazingly fast in certain parts of the track, while at other certain parts they behave like total morons? Breaking in the middle of a turn (the apex in racing terms) for no apparent reason, breaking incredibly late in other sections, or even coming to almost a complete stop in turns that you can take in almost 100 mph without even much effort.

And so much more... this A.I. is mostly the reason why clean racing is something that is more of a hassle and such a rarity, since most of the time you finish your race with your car looking like absolute shit, just because the A.I. wants to behave so erratically and stupidly during the entirety of the race.

Like I said, I've played my fair share of the game, completing all challenges even the most difficult ones (Venom 2 I am looking at you) and the game has obviously some nice effects on me, like the arcade feel is nice and the car handling is good, some tracks are amazingly designed and ofc course the technical parts of the game are outstanding.

But the A.I. is SHIT.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Before I start my rant, I have to provide my "credentials" , so as not to be labeled a "hater" or anything similar along these lines.

I have completed and acquired all 495 stars that the game offers. In that sense I obviously have enjoyed a lot of aspects of the game, since I went through the trouble of earning all stars/challenges.

Start a 3-4 lap race. Literally go take a piss while your opponents are off racing. Return after taking your glorious bathroom break and start racing while the A.I. is almost a lap ahead of you. Marvel at your ridiculous Alonso skills while you manage to not only catch up with the A.I. but also finish in the top spots, even 1st!

Restart the same race again. Only this time race from the beginning normally. Marvel at the A.I. being always in threatening position, only a few tenths of a second behind you irregardless of how incredibly well or shit you may be playing.

Should I talk about the ridiculous way the A.I. behaves in general? Going amazingly fast in certain parts of the track, while at other certain parts they behave like total morons? Breaking in the middle of a turn (the apex in racing terms) for no apparent reason, breaking incredibly late in other sections, or even coming to almost a complete stop in turns that you can take in almost 100 mph without even much effort.

And so much more... this A.I. is mostly the reason why clean racing is something that is more of a hassle and such a rarity, since most of the times you finish your race with your car looking like absolute shit, just because the A.I. wants to behave so erratically and stupidly in the entirety of the race.

Like I said, I've played my fair share of the game, completing all challenges even the most difficult ones (Venom 2 I am looking at you) and the game has obviously some nice effects on me, like the arcade feel is nice and the car handling is good, some tracks are amazingly designed and ofc course the technical parts of the game are outstanding.

But the A.I. is SHIT.

I never understood the complaints about AI to be honest. I go ahead of the pack and that is the last I see of them lol.

I wish we could have a hardcore mode where it disables assists and traction control. Also it would be incredible if we could just have cockpit view only option and have dedicated times for it.

edit: typing on phone is hard. Excuse my grammar.

valkyre

I never understood the complaints about AI to be honest. I go ahead of the pack and that is the last I see of them lol.

Even that, is not good A.I. design...

I repeat I have 100% completion. Its not like my complaints are because I couldnt come first in races...

Putty

And so much more... this A.I. is mostly the reason why clean racing is something that is more of a hassle and such a rarity, since most of the time you finish your race with your car looking like absolute shit, just because the A.I. wants to behave so erratically and stupidly during the entirety of the race.

But the A.I. is SHIT.

Fair enough. Your not alone in this regard. Like above just said, I'm at the front all the time to notice things. Now that you've grabbed the stars, maybe stick to doing challenges/TT's in the future.

I'm sure the A.I chat hasn't gone unnoticed with Evo, so I'd be surprised if in their next game the A.I works in the exact same way.

Fair enough. Your not alone in this regard. Like above just said, I'm at the front all the time to notice things. Now that you've grabbed the stars, maybe stick to doing challenges/TT's in the future.

I'm sure the A.I chat hasn't gone unnoticed with Evo, so I'd be surprised if in their next game the A.I works in the exact same way.

Yeah I can't say it's ever bothered me either but people do keep complaining about it so maybe it'll be something Evo decide to address.

valkyre

Thanks for the comment. Yes, that is the main reason for posting to be honest. Hoping to grab some attention and perhaps improve things in the future. As it is the A.I. is my main complaint in regards to this game. I understand that A.I. is a tricky thing to be able and design properly (since you have to factor a lot of things, like enjoyment, challenge and the game being fair) but in Driveclub it kinda fails miserably.

The fact that I can start one race and give the A.I. 1-2 minute head start and eventually catch them up and finish first , and then start the same race normally only for the A.I. to be always in striking distance, is driving me insane really...

That and the fact that the game's A.I. design, encourages destruction derby/ bumper car type of racing, rather than actual, proper, clean racing.

The main reasons for putting a few of my online buddies of the the game are A.I. and online connectivity issues. It really created an intitial barrier causing people not wanting play any further.

Putty

The main reasons for putting a few of my online buddies of the the game are A.I. and online connectivity issues. It really created an intitial barrier causing people not wanting play any further.

Connectivity is 95% sorted. This aspect really is A OK now, save a bit of loading leaderboards every now and again.

Ted

Connectivity is 95% sorted. This aspect really is A OK now, save a bit of loading leaderboards every now and again.

You're having a giraffe right?

Challenges and leaderboards might work more often than not - though several people reported issues with even them in this very thread yesterday - but surely a ~25% hit rate on actually getting into lobbies I join and matchmaking errors like this means that, for me at least, the servers aren't even close to sorted, let alone 95% sorted!

If it is working OK for you then great but let's not perpetuate any view that the online is in anyway reliable, even now.

Can you honestly say that when you join a multiplayer event from the playlist you have "95%" confidence that you will, a) get in and, b) stay in after the event for the next event? I sure as hell can't. Can I camp in your garden and rob your wi-fi until Evo let me play too? :)

Challenges and leaderboards might work more often than not - though several people reported issues with even them in this very thread yesterday - but surely a ~25% hit rate on actually getting into lobbies I join and matchmaking errors like this means that, for me at least, the servers aren't even close to sorted, let alone 95% sorted!

If it is working OK for you then great but let's not perpetuate any view that the online is in anyway reliable, even now.

Can you honestly say that when you join a multiplayer event from the playlist you have "95%" confidence that you will, a) get in and, b) stay in after the event for the next event? I sure as hell can't. Can I camp in your garden and rob your wi-fi until Evo let me play too? :)

I know it sucks for you bud, but I'd say for the vast majority it does work pretty reliably. There's still good nights and bad nights and I wouldn't say it's completely fixed but for most of us it does work 90-95% of the time, so yes I can say that I go in with confidence that I'll get to race.

Ted

I know it sucks for you bud, but I'd say for the vast majority it does work pretty reliably. There's still good nights and bad nights and I wouldn't say it's completely fixed but for most of us it does work 90-95% of the time, so yes I can say that I go in with confidence that I'll get to race.

I'm not in anyway disregarding your situation or disparaging your view but I simply don't believe that for most people at most times it is working as it should. I basically don't believe I am a rare exception. Maybe in this thread but not generally.

Rationale:

1) The matchmaking error in the video above is /clearly/ not a client side issue;

2) Even when I get into a lobby, at least two names fall off the list between lobby syncing and the car selection screen;

3) Multiple reports of "it's not working" at specific times in clustered areas (e.g. the UK yesterday);

4) No final "it's fixed" update from Evo;

5) No PS+version released.

Perhaps if Evo had any kind of user facing help desk or a support site maybe I could get an official answer so I wouldn't be here getting on you and the threads nerves but they don't and as Evo seem unwilling or unable to give a meaningful update on the state of online connectivity for those still having issues what's a boy to do?

I play often enough for it to be no issue to me. But imagine the guys just wanting to play a sunday afternoon only to discover the servers are at it again. It's infuriating for them.

And I agree with ted on the lobby thing. Every lobby I enter will lose at least 2 people before the track is loaded up. I always thought it was people changing their minds but a disconnect sounds more obvious.

Drac

I had to "abuse" the AI for a perfect lap challenge, because they always ram into you and fuck your perfect lap. So I gave them a half lap head start, by the end of the (perfect) first lap I had caught up to them (actually I caught up earlier but I slowed down), got first on the second one, and was left alone on the third. This is not a good AI.
I also did the same on Wipeout HD for some races, you just couldn't finish first if you tried to race seriously from the start, this is pure bullshit. And I have the platinium for this game (and dlc) so I believe I'm a descent player.

I'm not in anyway disregarding your situation or disparaging your view but I simply don't believe that for most people at most times it is working as it should. I basically don't believe I am a rare exception. Maybe in this thread but not generally.

Rationale:

1) The matchmaking error in the video above is /clearly/ not a client side issue;

2) Even when I get into a lobby, at least two names fall off the list between lobby syncing and the car selection screen;

3) Multiple reports of "it's not working" at specific times in clustered areas (e.g. the UK yesterday);

4) No final "it's fixed" update from Evo;

5) No PS+version released.

Perhaps if Evo had any kind of user facing help desk or a support site maybe I could get an official answer so I wouldn't be here getting on you and the threads nerves but they don't and as Evo seem unwilling or unable to give a meaningful update on the state of online connectivity for those still having issues what's a boy to do?

I agree that Evo should be more active in helping you guys with the problems but I guessed correctly that you were on BT Infinity and I still believe that switching to Home Hub 5 will sort your issue as it did with CaptainRizla.

Yeah, tried all sorts. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the router (Home Hub 3) or provider (BT). Set static IP, DMZ, Port Forwarding etc. Connect via ethernet...
Got into 1 game within 15 - 20 attempts before giving up trying any more.
Damn shame.

Got my Home Hub 5 and have tried 6 multiplayer games of DC. I got in every single one of them!
Didn't even try any port forwards or anything.

There are obviously still issues with the reliability and capacity of the servers but it works a lot better for the majority of people than it does for you, which leads me to believe that it is a local problem with your connection.

Putty

Afraid not. I'm aware of your issues, sorry about that.

And yes to the second bolded.

valkyre

I had to "abuse" the AI for a perfect lap challenge, because they always ram into you and fuck your perfect lap. So I gave them a half lap head start, by the end of the (perfect) first lap I had caught up to them (actually I caught up earlier but I slowed down), got first on the second one, and was left alone on the third. This is not a good AI.
I also did the same on Wipeout HD for some races, you just couldn't finish first if you tried to race seriously from the start, this is pure bullshit. And I have the platinium for this game (and dlc) so I believe I'm a descent player.

Εxactly what I have been saying and it is exactly the way I discovered myself about the A.I. driving according to how good or shit you do.... The A.I. is lame as hell in this game and its a shame because if it was tweaked better, it would provide in much more satisfaction. The way it is now, it is ridiculous and it is encouraging bumper car racing.

I agree that Evo should be more active in helping you guys with the problems but I guessed correctly that you were on BT Infinity and I still believe that switching to Home Hub 5 will sort your issue as it did with CaptainRizla.

There are obviously still issues with the reliability and capacity of the servers but it works a lot better for the majority of people than it does for you, which leads me to believe that it is a local problem with your connection.

Was surprised to see myself quoted on the most recent page :)
I've been playing DC when time allows and not had any problems getting into games since upgrading to the HH5.

Εxactly what I have been saying and it is exactly the way I discovered myself about the A.I. driving according to how good or shit you do.... The A.I. is lame as hell in this game and its a shame because if it was tweaked better, it would provide in much more satisfaction. The way it is now, it is ridiculous and it is encouraging bumper car racing.
It is very rare the AI will crash into you, other than if you brake hard and it rams you up the backside.

So, if you end a race looking like a banger racing entry then you're probably crashing into them just as much as you think they are into you.

I forget their name, but there's some Spanish guy on here who posts some race videos up from time to time and their videos show that you can race very cleanly indeed, but you have to show respect and drive with due care and anticipation like you would do in real life.

It is easy to bash into AI and they can make life difficult for you, I will say that, but ultimately you can avoid it, it's just easier, and often quicker, not to.

LoveCake

1. All of the content is included in the game patches, which should download automatically. So you'll have all the tracks, cars, etc downloaded and installed, but the ones that are part of the season pass/DLC will be locked for you. (All tracks are free, so only cars/paints are locked away)

2. The current install size, fully patched, is 21.62 GB

3. I've never had a server drop in the middle of a race. I'd say the online is 95% reliable, you'll see leaderboards slow to load sometimes and get the odd matchmaking error, but the online racing works pretty great at this point.

4. The first race the game puts you in is a really bad first impression, it's one of the less impressive locations graphically, and the car is slow and brokeass. However the level progression is quick and rewarding and you'll constantly be unlocking new fast cars if you keep playing. It never feels like a grind.

5. Certain cars are "Club cars" and unlocked when your club reaches a certain level. Any points you earn while you're in a club will contribute to that club level as well as your own. So if you earn 100 000 fame doing a tour event, you get that XP and so does your club. Clubs take more XP to level up, of course, since they are designed to have 6 people contributing. Just find a UK club on here with an open spot and if they are over level 15 then you'll have all club cars unlocked for you.

1) There were a few free cars I downloaded manually from the store. So make sure to check if there are any free addons after you install the game. I got the game 2 weeks ago.

Ok thanks guys, i have ordered a copy, now i just need to find a club to join.

I think I'm gonna go for the Platinum in this game. Just realised this morning that I have 45% trophies, and looking through the rest I think most should come naturally, except perhaps for getting to level 50 and getting 1 million drift points as part of a club. Just got the bastard trophy for finishing a 12 car race in first place without any collisions last night. I'm only on the third tier of vehicles but damn, some of these are tough to control. It's exhilarating to finish a race by the skin of my teeth and feel on the edge of losing control the whole way through.

Apeboy

Thanks for the comment. Yes, that is the main reason for posting to be honest. Hoping to grab some attention and perhaps improve things in the future. As it is the A.I. is my main complaint in regards to this game. I understand that A.I. is a tricky thing to be able and design properly (since you have to factor a lot of things, like enjoyment, challenge and the game being fair) but in Driveclub it kinda fails miserably.

The fact that I can start one race and give the A.I. 1-2 minute head start and eventually catch them up and finish first , and then start the same race normally only for the A.I. to be always in striking distance, is driving me insane really...

That and the fact that the game's A.I. design, encourages destruction derby/ bumper car type of racing, rather than actual, proper, clean racing.

So much this. I'm only level 34 or 35 and the AI just kills motivation to continue. I try my damnedest to race clean and I'm ok with not getting the last star or two in an event if it means having to go all crazy taxi.

Watching AI brake hard in corners, ram, have no situational awareness, total disregard when it comes to occupying a spot on the track they want takes a heavy toll on gameplay. Personally I think the design decision to make lap times a achievement in a race event throws the whole thing into chaos. Time trials get you into a race, when you are racing it is unrealistic to think everyone is just going to allow you to take the best position on the track to recreate your time trial times. Driveclub throws so many artificial hurdles to thwart a player trying to race a good, clean, fast race it becomes you against Evo, not you against other cars.

I've been playing DC when time allows and not had any problems getting into games since upgrading to the HH5.

Speak of the devil! Glad to hear it's all still working for you :)

Ape boy, Valkyre, Drac - Can you give us the names of some of the events so maybe Mango, Putty and I can revisit them and see what we think? It is a couple of months since I did the original tour and I can't remember too much of it off the top of my head - the cause of some of the issues raised seems to be the clean lap requirement for one of the stars so maybe that's the one to look at.

I think I'm gonna go for the Platinum in this game. Just realised this morning that I have 45% trophies, and looking through the rest I think most should come naturally, except perhaps for getting to level 50 and getting 1 million drift points as part of a club. Just got the bastard trophy for finishing a 12 car race in first place without any collisions last night. I'm only on the third tier of vehicles but damn, some of these are tough to control. It's exhilarating to finish a race by the skin of my teeth and feel on the edge of losing control the whole way through.

It's not a difficult platinum. The hardest part about is the trophy for winning five of your own challenges is bugged.

As for the aforementioned AI complaints...I have friends who are big racing game fans that I had hoped would play this game with me. They won't anymore because of the AI. I don't have a problem with it per se but, I don't think it's very good either.

Ted

I really, really hope so. I would be surprised if the Home Hub 5 works where my Netgear doesn't but I am absolutely willing to hope.

Particularly when it worked for CaptRizla else. I'll find out tomorrow when BT deliver the Homehub 5.

It's like bloody Christmas eve here today. Seriously, I'm wishing my life away here mate!

Regardless of my own connection issues, my five points still unfortunately stand pretty true.

For example, that matchmaking video I posted shows a client requesting one thing and the server responding with something entirely different. This type of error is indicative of something more fundamental than your internet is a bit dodgy mate.

All of that said, I guess we could easily just have different expectations and a different perception of "working better". You folk all suffered through the early months so yes, I can see how it is objectively working much much better. Coming from other online games though that have either always worked for me or have delivered timely offline messages it certainly doesn't feel better. Even GTA:O performs substantially more reliably for me and that was a right dog at [new gen] launch.

Put another way, for me the very fact that some regulars including yourself complained of the servers being down yesterday does not portray to me a picture of reliability and robustness whereas for you, the fact they were only down yesterday for a few hours - compared to being down much of the time and certain functionality simply not being available in the not so distant past - might be pretty positive.

Afraid not. I'm aware of your issues, sorry about that.

And yes to the second bolded.

If you don't mind, next time you are on and playing MP, invite me to a session. I would be curious to see if an already established and solidly connected host makes a difference, my PSN is in any of the video posted above.

And sod ya for not saying yes to pitching a tent in your garden and cadging your internet. Tight. :)

This is great news! I really hope that this solves it for me as well.

AI edit:

Ape boy, Valkyre, Drac - Can you give us the names of some of the events so maybe Mango, Putty and I can revisit them and see what we think? It is a couple of months since I did the original tour and I can't remember too much of it off the top of my head - the cause of some of the issues raised seems to be the clean lap requirement for one of the stars so maybe that's the one to look at.

The AI don't annoy me too much but they definitely can be too unaware of the player.

The GIF below is from race 3 of the pro championship. The other RUF just moves over left to right on the straight as if I wasn't even there, despite me being pretty much level with its front wing. There is really no reason for it to do that, Porsche drivers, honestly. They play way too Ruf.

ibvdqYl0sMMfvX.gif

The full race can be found here, start at 1:20 and the impact is at 1:32:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowH1XfawBg

Drac

Sure, I'll look it up tonight when I get back home. I'm sure one way to do it would be to just overpower the AI and be so far away from them in the last lap that you would have no problem doing a clean lap but I guess I'm not good enough for that yet so I "cheated".

valkyre

It is very rare the AI will crash into you, other than if you brake hard and it rams you up the backside.

So, if you end a race looking like a banger racing entry then you're probably crashing into them just as much as you think they are into you.

I forget their name, but there's some Spanish guy on here who posts some race videos up from time to time and their videos show that you can race very cleanly indeed, but you have to show respect and drive with due care and anticipation like you would do in real life.

It is easy to bash into AI and they can make life difficult for you, I will say that, but ultimately you can avoid it, it's just easier, and often quicker, not to.

It is what now?

Excuse me but you are wrong.

First of all I never said that clean racing is out of the question. I said it is a "hassle". How many times have you crashed because it is your fault and not because of the stupid A.I. that decides to break hard at the apex of a turn? They will even break at the exit of a turn! For no apparent reason at all.

I've said this when I started playing the game and then people went on to say what you do now. I thought I was early in the game, not fully aware of the controls etc. Now I have 495/495 stars and now I can call legitimately bs sorry. The A.I. is bs. It is not racing, it is not me who is breaking early it is not me who drives like a complete idiot and like Fernando Alonso at the same time, depending on the part of track and the players skill. That is what the A.I. is doing in this game.

Besides the fact that I mentioned where you can give the A.I. a full lap headstart, only to be able and catch them up and finish first, you would think that, that alone is enough to prove just how bad the A.I. design is.

As I said the fact that the A.I. will decide to break HARD when reaching the apex of a turn or even at the exit of a turn is crazy. The fact that they are oblivious of your presence at times when you are racing close to each other is again not the players fault.

Have I managed to do clean races? Why yes of course I have. By "clean races" I want my car to reach the crossing line without even a scratch. That is clean racing to me. Most videos out there that are supposed to be "clean" are quite not the "clean" racing I am referring to. I am tired finishing up races in driveclub with a beautiful car looking like total shit because of bad A.I. design. Frankly if there was an option to just disable the dmg I would do so immediately.

Driveclub was supposed to be car porn. To get you excited with these beautiful machines, the excitement of driving them and then they went on to plaster that shit A.I. only to cross the finish line and have your supercar looking like it came out of a destruction derby event... It was hilarious that the photo thread was filled with photos of damaged supercars all the time, until Evo patched in to disable the damage...lol

So back to "clean racing"... is it possible? Yes it is. I for one believe I have done it many times. I have crossed the finish lines without a single scratch on my car. But to do so I have to drive like a complete moron and drop down to the A.I.'s retarded level. Breaking hard at the apex of a turn only to learn the exact spots where the A.I. behaves like a total dimwit and that it allows to overtake. Thats right, if you want to go and do clean racing you have to learn specific parts on the track where the A.I. will always allow (in a really stupid way) for you to overtake. That means you are going to drive 80% of the race like Daisy Duck until you manage to get in front and finally be able to race like you should. And guess... suddenly the A.I. will race as hard as you do, always in striking position... It is more like a process of trial and error, until you learn the exact spots, rather than proper unpredictable racing where you have to adjust each time your driving accordingly.

Hence the whole "it is a hassle" thing. This is not racing, it is not how it supposed to be and clean racing is clearly not what the game's A.I. was designed for.

So much this. I'm only level 34 or 35 and the AI just kills motivation to continue. I try my damnedest to race clean and I'm ok with not getting the last star or two in an event if it means having to go all crazy taxi.

Watching AI brake hard in corners, ram, have no situational awareness, total disregard when it comes to occupying a spot on the track they want takes a heavy toll on gameplay. Personally I think the design decision to make lap times a achievement in a race event throws the whole thing into chaos. Time trials get you into a race, when you are racing it is unrealistic to think everyone is just going to allow you to take the best position on the track to recreate your time trial times. Driveclub throws so many artificial hurdles to thwart a player trying to race a good, clean, fast race it becomes you against Evo, not you against other cars.

Exactly. TT that have no other cars are my favorite events really. Anything that doesnt involve this shit A.I. is great.

Number45

Finally got a response back from Thrustmaster about the rotation constantly resetting back to 1080 degrees:

This manual adjustment does not work with some games, including DriveClub and can be effected by various things (the launch of a race, pausing, type of vehicle that you are driving).

Sure am glad I opted for this model due to the fact that it's fully supported on the PS4.

valkyre

It is not a specific part of the Tour to be honest. Its just how A.I. works in general. Do a single race and the effects are the same. I already got all stars the game wasnt hard to beat. (minus the Venom 2 TT, good god it was hard, but I enjoyed the hell out of it!) It isnt the difficulty of the game that disappointed me, but the fact that the A.I. behaves like this and pretty much encourages the player in bumper car racing behavior.

The most obvious problem is that the A.I. is oblivious to your presence when making the most common overtaking maneuver in racing history. ie getting side to side before a turn, move on the inside to have the racing line advantage and break hard to take the lead. Well if you do that in Driveclub and you are side by side with the A.I. they will simply ram on you like 90% of the time, behaving as if you were never there and they blindly follow the racing line... this is wrong. And that it is just one example. Its not like I lose my position, but this constant bumping and finishing the races with the car pretty effed up due to stuff like this, is irritating. It makes the whole overtaking thing not satisfying at all. And its pretty important to feel that you overtook someone legitimately, clean, properly. That is what racing is all about. Even arcade ones ;)

Honestly, I've never had any problems with the AI but I haven't played nearly as much as you have. I've got about 100 stars and have probably played, I don't know, 10 hours so far? The rubberbanding is a little too obvious IMO, but I do understand why developers do it.

valkyre

The rubberbanding is a little too obvious IMO, but I do understand why developers do it.

Its ok, my problem is that I hate rubberbanding and being urged to drive these beautiful cars in the way Evo's A.I. dictates. That is all. Also if you care to bother, start a single race event and try the head start thing just for the kicks of it. Put 3-4 lap race. If this isnt cringe worthy I dont know what is! :D

PS: good thing is that Japan DLC that features wider tracks makes things a little better. The A.I. still remains the same as the rest of the game, but because you have more space you can manage to avoid a lot of its shortcomings. That isnt a solution though.

Its ok, my problem is that I hate rubberbanding and being urged to drive these beautiful cars in the way Evo's A.I. dictates. That is all. Also if you care to bother, start a single race event and try the head start thing just for the kicks of it. Put 3-4 lap race. If this isnt cringe worthy I dont know what is! :D

PS: good thing is that Japan DLC that features wider tracks makes things a little better. The A.I. still remains the same as the rest of the game, but because you have more space you can manage to avoid a lot of its shortcomings. That isnt a solution though.

Ok I understand a bit more where your coming from but calling it shit and lame as hell probably just serves to get people's backs up rather than putting your across like you did in your later posts.

I have no issues at all with the AI stopping / slowing to a crawl if you don't set off at the start - sure it breaks immersion but you aren't playing the game as its meant to be played - it's like complaining about Destinys loot caves, the only reason to do it is to try to game the system and make a challenge easier.

Obviously I don't try to play the game like you do, these days if I'm doing a tour race I get to the front as quickly as possible so I can race without compromising my lines and try to get as high as possible up the leaderboard. I don't care if the car has a few scratches on it where I've squeezed up the inside of an AI driver and traded some paint. I suspect the other guys on here who don't have issues with the AI play it the same way (more like UK touring cars than F1) but I don't know. I'm tired of defending the AI which it seems is always complained about in every racing game (GT's procession / Forza's kamikaze drivatars etc).

The AI is fine for me, I understand how it seems dumb that you can wait an entire minute at the start and easily catch up, but when I'm actually racing the AI is aggressive and fast and constantly keeping me on my toes, which is all I really care about.

I really, really hope so. I would be surprised if the Home Hub 5 works where my Netgear doesn't but I am absolutely willing to hope.

Particularly when it worked for CaptRizla else. I'll find out tomorrow when BT deliver the Homehub 5.

It's like bloody Christmas eve here today. Seriously, I'm wishing my life away here mate!

Put another way, for me the very fact that some regulars including yourself complained of the servers being down yesterday does not portray to me a picture of reliability and robustness whereas for you, the fact they were only down yesterday for a few hours - compared to being down much of the time and certain functionality simply not being available in the not so distant past - might be pretty positive.

If you don't mind, next time you are on and playing MP, invite me to a session. I would be curious to see if an already established and solidly connected host makes a difference, my PSN is in any of the video posted above.

The AI don't annoy me too much but they definitely can be too unaware of the player.

The GIF below is from race 3 of the pro championship. The other RUF just moves over left to right on the straight as if I wasn't even there, despite me being pretty much level with its front wing. There is really no reason for it to do that, Porsche drivers, honestly. They play way too Ruf.

ibvdqYl0sMMfvX.gif

Yeah there prolly is something about being in at the broken start that makes the current situation feel better than it really is but hopefully the HH5 will sort your issues and you'll see how it is for the rest of us.

Send me a friend request if you fancy an online sesh sometime, I'm on most nights around ten uk time (your PSN ID isn't on your profile).

Yeah the AI often do cut across you unless your completely up alongside, but a lot of humans will too! I think writing AI must be a thankless task for a driving game, their either too perfect, too unpredictable, too aggressive, too fast, too slow, brake in the wrong places etc just like (slightly better, less vengeful) real people :)

I probably come across as a right Evo apologist, defending their every move but I just love the game and can't think how it must feel to have created something as brilliant as this only to have it pulled apart by all and sundry. It's a good job I'm an engineer and not a game dev.

jugo

Neo Member
Long time lurker.

Got a PS4 two months ago (along with tlou/pes), and bought driveclub with the 10% discount. Just wondering if this is the right thread to look for a club in.

Psn id: Kronvilt
Sweden

LoveCake

I have just ordered DriveClub, i have been to the PSN store & got all the freebies :D

There is quite a few paid for DLC items, can someone advise what if any is worth getting, is the season pass the one to go for etc?

Thanks in advance.

valkyre

Ok I understand a bit more where your coming from but calling it shit and lame as hell probably just serves to get people's backs up rather than putting your across like you did in your later posts.

I have no issues at all with the AI stopping / slowing to a crawl if you don't set off at the start - sure it breaks immersion but you aren't playing the game as its meant to be played - it's like complaining about Destinys loot caves, the only reason to do it is to try to game the system and make a challenge easier.

Obviously I don't try to play the game like you do, these days if I'm doing a tour race I get to the front as quickly as possible so I can race without compromising my lines and try to get as high as possible up the leaderboard. I don't care if the car has a few scratches on it where I've squeezed up the inside of an AI driver and traded some paint. I suspect the other guys on here who don't have issues with the AI play it the same way (more like UK touring cars than F1) but I don't know. I'm tired of defending the AI which it seems is always complained about in every racing game (GT's procession / Forza's kamikaze drivatars etc).

You know what I wouldnt mind so much if the A.I. just adjusted itself in order to give the player a chance if he crashes a lot or plays badly. Like you said, I aint gonna start races and give the opponents a head start.

But the thing is that the A.I. constantly behaves stupidly. Slowing to a crawl at the apex of a turn is simply outrageous in a racing game... most amazing of all is the fact that even though you might have a much much better and faster exit from a turn than the A.I., and even though you are in a more powerful car than said A.I., the A.I. will magically have insane acceleration after exiting the turn (during which they slowed down to a crawl) most of the times and you just cant overtake them... This is just lame. Sorry if that sounds bad to you, but it is lame and it is unfair and it once again urges the player to just go ahead and ram that effing A.I. and be done with it.

I'm tired of all the "it just takes skill" talk... I have skill, I have probably more legitimate "clean" races than most people here, and I am not about to brag, but rather reinforce my opinion that this game's A.I. is very very poorly designed.

Racing in a Ferrari F12 and exiting a turn at higher speed than the A.I. does in a Ferrari F430 and yet, magically the F430 seems to have better acceleration than the F12 is simply ugly and lame.

I know its an arcade racer, but that doesnt mean that it has to have a "motorstorm racing philosophy" into it.

As for your last comment, indeed no racing game as of yet has provided the perfect A.I. , but Driveclub aint even mediocre compared to the racing games available on that front. It is just lame.

Frankly, your skill plays little to no role at all in racing events. You could play excellent the entire race and just do a simple mistake on the last turn and lose the race, and you can play crashing the car in every damn corner in the entire race , save for the last couple of turns and finish first....

Now please tell me that that isnt lame and that the game has no issues whatsoever with the A.I. and there shouldnt be any improvements or fixes.

benzy

most amazing of all is the fact that even though you might have a much much better and faster exit from a turn than the A.I., and even though you are in a more powerful car than said A.I., the A.I. will magically have insane acceleration after exiting the turn (during which they slowed down to a crawl) most of the times and you just cant overtake them...

You have some fair complaints but I can't say I've ever experienced this though. Is there a video example of this?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Still really enjoying this game. I managed to get top 3 on the Taapaca track. Part of the semi-pro tour. It took me ages, but I felt like doing a little dance once I'd done it. Note to self: no need to hammer the brake on every corner. Trigger can be pressed without fully pressing it.

nib95

Banned
most amazing of all is the fact that even though you might have a much much better and faster exit from a turn than the A.I., and even though you are in a more powerful car than said A.I., the A.I. will magically have insane acceleration after exiting the turn (during which they slowed down to a crawl) most of the times and you just cant overtake them... This is just lame.

Not to come off as harsh, but so many of the things you've mentioned about the AI are in my experience untrue, but this particular excerpt is the most off key. I'd imagine in these races that you feel the AI is magically catching up, you're simply not racing as good as you think you are, or that your exit speed on certain corners is not as fast as you think it is. I have had countless examples where I've been 5+ seconds ahead of the AI, even in the harder races towards the end of Tours. Hell, some of them I've been 10-15 seconds ahead of the AI, so it is not true that they will magically catch up. They will only ever catch up if you're not hitting the ideal sectors or lap times.

Evolution themselves have said that there is no rubber banding in the game, though we do know that there is some level of dynamic AI (the AI racing better or worse depending on how well the player is racing, but never beyond their vehicles means, or beyond the realm of their capable physics).

If you could provide video evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it, but in the mean time there are countless examples where the exact opposite is true.

Me driving the same car as the AI, but being 7 seconds ahead in the race.

DRIVECLUBtrade_20150130031945.jpg~original

Another where I'm 5 seconds ahead.

DRIVECLUBtrade_20150129040833.jpg~original

Here's a video where I was close to 15 seconds ahead of them, this in the second to last race of the Tour, where I believe the AI is set to at least Professional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP4dP644yGk

Apeboy

Not to come off as harsh, but so many of the things you've mentioned about the AI are in my experience untrue, but this particular excerpt is the most off key. I'd imagine in these races that you feel the AI is magically catching up, you're simply not racing as good as you think you are, or that your exit speed on certain corners is not as fast as you think it is. I have had countless examples where I've been 5+ seconds ahead of the AI, even in the harder races towards the end of Tours. Hell, some of them I've been 10-15 seconds ahead of the AI, so it is not true that they will magically catch up. They will only ever catch up if you're not hitting the ideal sectors or lap times.

Evolution themselves have said that there is no rubber banding in the game, though we do know that there is some level of dynamic AI (the AI racing better or worse depending on how well the player is racing, but never beyond their vehicles means, or beyond the realm of their capable physics).

If you could provide video evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it, but in the mean time there are countless examples where the exact opposite is true.

Here's a video where I was close to 15 seconds ahead of them, this in the second to last race of the Tour, where I believe the AI is set to at least....

The rubberbanding described is not the AI appearing out of nowhere after not having been seen for a couple miles. Maybe in driveclub it's better described as a slingshot. AI cars brake well into a turn and have launch control-like acceleration on the way out.

Also, and I'm not wanting to sound harsh here either, I watched the start of the last video you posted. I think it's a microcosm of what some of us are trying to point out. You would've been black flagged before reaching the first corner. In driveclub it is almost a prerequisite, or an achievement, to garner as many black flags as you can to fulfill the goals for each event. Most, if not all, the videos I've seen show so-called skilled drivers barging through the pack, incurring whatever damage or penalties necessary to get to the front and make up the time once you leave the AI behind. The racing part is more of a nuisance to them until they can get back to what amounts to a time trial run.

If you drive with the intention of having your car cross the line in somewhat the same shape you started in while trying to achieve the goals of the event, it will become clear that while driveclub does some truly amazing things, adhering to some pretty basic racing behavior fundamentals is not one of them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you drive with the intention of having your car cross the line in somewhat the same shape you started in while trying to achieve the goals of the event, it will become clear that while driveclub does some truly amazing things, adhering to some pretty basic racing behavior fundamentals is not one of them.

I'm still a complete beginner in the game, but I'm definitely getting this impression. It seems like there are only benefits to slamming your way through other cars to get to the front of the pack.

IKizzLE

You know what I wouldnt mind so much if the A.I. just adjusted itself in order to give the player a chance if he crashes a lot or plays badly. Like you said, I aint gonna start races and give the opponents a head start.

But the thing is that the A.I. constantly behaves stupidly. Slowing to a crawl at the apex of a turn is simply outrageous in a racing game... most amazing of all is the fact that even though you might have a much much better and faster exit from a turn than the A.I., and even though you are in a more powerful car than said A.I., the A.I. will magically have insane acceleration after exiting the turn (during which they slowed down to a crawl) most of the times and you just cant overtake them... This is just lame. Sorry if that sounds bad to you, but it is lame and it is unfair and it once again urges the player to just go ahead and ram that effing A.I. and be done with it.

I'm tired of all the "it just takes skill" talk... I have skill, I have probably more legitimate "clean" races than most people here, and I am not about to brag, but rather reinforce my opinion that this game's A.I. is very very poorly designed.

Racing in a Ferrari F12 and exiting a turn at higher speed than the A.I. does in a Ferrari F430 and yet, magically the F430 seems to have better acceleration than the F12 is simply ugly and lame.

I know its an arcade racer, but that doesnt mean that it has to have a "motorstorm racing philosophy" into it.

As for your last comment, indeed no racing game as of yet has provided the perfect A.I. , but Driveclub aint even mediocre compared to the racing games available on that front. It is just lame.

Frankly, your skill plays little to no role at all in racing events. You could play excellent the entire race and just do a simple mistake on the last turn and lose the race, and you can play crashing the car in every damn corner in the entire race , save for the last couple of turns and finish first....

Now please tell me that that isnt lame and that the game has no issues whatsoever with the A.I. and there shouldnt be any improvements or fixes.

I agree with you. Not a fan of the AI at all and the latest DLC confirmed it; absolute snoozefest. I voiced my complaints several weeks ago as well. Game itself is pretty easy, but I'm a racer, through and through. If I can't get satisfaction out of legitimately beating AI opponents, then the single player campaign has failed. In Driveclub, not only is the AI just subpar, they can be gamed easily.

I absolutely hate challenges and hotlapping so all I'm left with is barebones online multiplayer(Ferrari only has literally been the event calender for the past 3-4 days ugghh). No private servers and stability issues also brings down the enjoyment. (Yes, there are STILL connectivity issues, still not in a state that should of passed QA and same reason why there has been no PS plus announcement).

With that said, game is still fun as hell when its working and your racing other people who can race.

The rubberbanding described is not the AI appearing out of nowhere after not having been seen for a couple miles. Maybe in driveclub it's better described as a slingshot. AI cars brake well into a turn and have launch control-like acceleration on the way out. .

No, they don't. They have better corner exit speed because they have a better line, less braking, and get on the gas faster. If you can get out of a corner 4kmh faster, you will come up behind anyone with a good lead, making it look like you're accelerating harder. Accentuated by the drafting.

If you follow the AI leader, the normal opportunity to pass is usually on braking in a corner, where you are prepared to skid more than he is, but you get in front, so he can't accelerate. In general I find a sequence of corners is the best place to make ground on the leader AI car.

Apeboy

No, they don't. They have better corner exit speed because they have a better line, less braking, and get on the gas faster. If you can get out of a corner 4kmh faster, you will come up behind anyone with a good lead, making it look like you're accelerating harder. Accentuated by the drafting.

If you follow the AI leader, the normal opportunity to pass is usually on braking in a corner, where you are prepared to skid more than he is, but you get in front, so he can't accelerate. In general I find a sequence of corners is the best place to make ground on the leader AI car.

We are going to have to disagree. My experience is the AI indeed takes a good line and gets away with braking deep into the corner without consequences and comes out with a unrealistic shot of speed. Even if I have the line as well and positioned in front of him. The AI just jumps out on your hip and accelerates from behind you.

Top Bottom