• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

IKizzLE

I really don't get along with the Alfa 4C of all cars - I drive lots of the more twitchy buggers & my fav car is the Atom but the only one I have to consciously watch how I drive is the 4C.

I think the Maserati Gran Turismo is probably the worst car in the game - I can't think of any car that is less competitive in a class.
Ruf ctr3 clubsport.

Nope, you don't. We are all class ...you'll never be as good as us....NEVER!

Ok.....you know i can't let you get away with this (male testosterone,- pride, -domination and more of that juvenile shit for which on a rational level i'm way too old). I'm going to be deprived of the already scarce hours of sleep that are at my disposal.*sigh*

Putty

Ok.....you know i can't let you get away with this (male testosterone,- pride, -domination and more of that juvenile shit for which on a rational level i'm way too old). I'm going to be deprived of the already scarce hours of sleep that are at my disposal.*sigh*

8)

Ruf ctr3 clubsport.

I won't say hate, but this car sure is pissing me off right now while going for the third star on Tapacca time trial. It's one of the last three stars i need for the original tour, the other two are for the Venom hot lap obviously. But i'm getting there. :)

Edit:

Omg, these p2p time trials with tight time limits are killing me. Just had a promising run with the CTR3 on Tapacca after a dozen or so failed attempts (not even full runs, just fucking up early on and restarting) and i got nervous as hell. I'm sure everyone has heard of "getting weak in the knees". Well, what i got was was weak in the thumb, i shit you not. I got so nervous that i could feel my hands starting to fail me 20% to the end. Basically, my thumb started to feel numb and i wasn't sure if i could take the last few turns properly. It was so bad that i considered changing the steering input to motion control, but then decided against it. While it does work surprisingly well, it would probably have been a bad idea to start using it so late in the race, especially since i have not used it in two weeks. Anyway, for once i had a good lead on the ghost, so i took the last 3 corners extra carefully, cost me some time, but i just so managed to not fuck them up and still managed to get to the finish line with more than a second to spare, phew.

Now on to the last two stars on the Venom hot lap, but i don't think i'm up for that tonight. Still, i imagine it will be slightly less stressful than this, since it's just short laps which i can quickly do over and over, whereas on p2p races it feels like more is at stake, but that might just be wishful thinking. :D

The good
Everyone seemed to enjoy it :)
The challenge system worked as intended and the expired challenges tab allowed me to get the times without messing about with screenshots.
After 6 events the results were very close.

The bad
The time really didn't work for me, I had to run upstairs twice during the event to deal with a baby!
Too many guys running out of time, not making it through the event.
Lots of rushing both before the event, trying to get psn names etc and then afterwards trying to get all the results done - just a lack of planning on my part there.
It took longer than I thought to get the challenges out (much quicker in the Friday trial run) so some guys set off immediately and others waited - for the entire rally the guys in my party chased Auctopus's ghost (Ziggy cheered his head off when he beat him on the Kyle).
As no one knew how each other was doing, you never had the kind of pressure I thought the event would benefit from (only a couple of seconds in front / behind someone - gotta catch them / stay ahead).

Ideas for the next one (do people want another 1?)
Get everyone's psn name in advance (duh!)
Invite only - I can prepare the spreadsheet so quickly input times.
I'll send the challenge out to everyone then wait until everyone has completed that stage before sending the next challenge - this should mean everyone completes the event.
This will also mean I can let people know how they're doing, positions and times.
I'll create the challenges on my account, this'll be less messing about and give a bigger range of cars to choose from.

Feedback please!
Right number of stages?
Did the 'day of rallying' concept work? All events ran at 15x so there were no big lighting changes during an stage.
Did the car selection work (1 hatch, 1sport, 2 performance, 2 super, 1 hyper)?
We could do circuits too by setting race challenges (probably with a single slow car opposition, or maybe not?).
Do we stick with rally style p2p stages?
Any other suggestions or ideas?

http://youtu.be/duOQo_Tsdag

Pushing to damn hard when I was ahead :-(

lordxar

Good ideas. I'd say next time though just set a good pace to start with so we have a base time to hit. Run again with us of course or...maybe we run something and submit it for the whole that way your not doing as much.

Damn...I spent 2 hours on the Semipro tour and I still couldn't get past the second race. I was driving a Lotus Exige and I can't seem to take the first left/right turns properly, as well as the easy left/right run after the long straight. I keep skidding out!

Should I try a different car? What would you guys suggest?

lordxar

Damn...I spent 2 hours on the Semipro tour and I still couldn't get past the second race. I was driving a Lotus Exige and I can't seem to take the first left/right turns properly, as well as the easy left/right run after the long straight. I keep skidding out!

Should I try a different car? What would you guys suggest?

Anything but that piece of shit :)

eFKac

Did Evo ever adressed the unrealistic raindrop physics behaviour on the windshield when driving straight?

I mean you can drive a sports car with a windshield at a very low angle at 200 km/h and the raindrops are still very static.

T_Exige

Ok I know I am kinda biased with a username like this, but there are worse cars out there in Driveclub then the Exige to be honest. Icona Vulcano etc.

I understand it's not the easiest car to drive on the limit compared to the AM Vanquish and the Ferrari FF, but it is like the Ruf RGT8 and Ariel Atom, most of the time a pain, but so rewarding if you master the driving. Like in real life not many drivers will get near the limit of this car's handling.

off topic: Indeed we need a Lotus Elise! or the new Elise S Cup :drool:

Siegmeyer

I quite like the Maserati, used it alot in the main tour.

And the Exige is a bit shit, but am I wrong in thinking you're never actually forced to use it in any tour events?

For me, the GTA Spano is just zero fun to drive. Twitchy as fuck in both wet and dry conditions. Plus you're forced to use it in two of the recent DLC events, with the 'Spano in the works' winning the award for my least favourite tour event in the whole game.

Ok I know I am kinda biased with a username like this, but there are worse cars out there in Driveclub then the Exige to be honest. Icona Vulcano etc.

I understand it's not the easiest car to drive on the limit compared to the AM Vanquish and the Ferrari FF, but it is like the Ruf RGT8 and Ariel Atom, most of the time a pain, but so rewarding if you master the driving. Like in real life not many drivers will get near the limit of this car's handling.

So how do I drive the Exige?

Tommi84

There was a GIF/video of a lightning that made an explosion on the horizon, anybody still has it?

Maybe this one?

wngvjt.gif

lordxar

I used the Exige here and there when it was selectable on tour. It looks cool and hey its a Lotus! Never really put it together that the handling was terrible I'd just pick a different car and move on. Once challenges lit up a friend sent me Exige in heavy rain and I was like holy shiiiiitt! I kept trying that challenge for a bit but that car just pisses me off to drive. Tried the same track dry...wipes out almost the same as wet. Put a challenge up and the computer crashes the hunk of shit setting up my run!

http://youtu.be/LKeI-DGGs2Q

Also had the computer actually spin completely around on one start too but didn't save it.

So. Last night I was messing around and ran the Exige and crashed a lot. Thought I'd run the Evora for comparison since its a Lotus in a slower class. Lo and behold when I ran the Exige again I had a great second run! So my challenge idea went down in flames. Anyway I don't like driving the Exige but it may be growing on me!

Denur

Feedback please!
Right number of stages?
Did the 'day of rallying' concept work? All events ran at 15x so there were no big lighting changes during an stage.
Did the car selection work (1 hatch, 1sport, 2 performance, 2 super, 1 hyper)?
We could do circuits too by setting race challenges (probably with a single slow car opposition, or maybe not?).
Do we stick with rally style p2p stages?
Any other suggestions or ideas?
I started exactly at 8:00 and ran out of time during the last stage. Probably due to the the screen shot taking. One stage less would have helped here.

The day of rallying concept is fine, but leave out the snow. For someone who has little experience on a certain track, the near-zero visibility would be too much of a handicap.

The car selection works, but I can also see it working with one and the same car for all tracks. Maybe anounce the chosen car a bit earlier, so people can get a bit used to its handling. It then all comes down to the tracks and overall skill.

You could alternate between p2p, the larger circuits and rally racing (only on shorter circuits against at least pro AI).

At the end of the racing day (or even each stage) award championship points to the ten best racers to reflect the overall standings.

lordxar

Sorry to double post buy hey Evo, how about a time to beat challenge? Points are awarded to those who meet the time not necessarily for first and second? Then when we can chain challenges :) it could be like a gatekeeper to the other events. Say beat this time to qualify and participate.

T_Exige

So how do I drive the Exige?

Haha. It is hard to answer that question. I never had much problems from the start, same with the RUF.

It is the same question as: How do I drive the Ariel Atom? I can never master that car, maybe lots of practise, but I don't have the patience.

Oh and about driving it in the rain, I know a guy who crashed his Exige 1km from the dealer, because it was raining ^^ Evo did a good job on that :)

Auctopus

Thank you, but no, it was a huge fireball were a house exploded!

That doesn't sound like this game.

And DHC, I thought the time limit was perfect. Each trial should be about one-shot, if I wanted to race against players perfected times, I'd just go to challenegs.

Sry for not participating in any challenges lately. I kinda overdid it with Driveclub lately and to keep it fresh I decided to shoot some nazis in the face. I don't think it will be long before I'll start playing again.

T_Exige

I have some room in our lv46 club: Le Mans Racing.

Doesn't matter if you just started with Driveclub or completing your 495 stars :)
Just to have fun and do some challenges solo/club or against some members from the forum :)

Thanks for the responses to my rally questions, I just wrote a massive reply only for my phone to mess up and lose it :-( Can't face it just now, I'll respond properly in the morning.

That score was from the first stage of the test rally we ran, you improved after that Banana :)

Gl0w - I'll announce a date for the next rally soon, then you just need to let me know if you can make it and want in.

Haha. It is hard to answer that question. I never had much problems from the start, same with the RUF.

It is the same question as: How do I drive the Ariel Atom? I can never master that car, maybe lots of practise, but I don't have the patience.

Oh and about driving it in the rain, I know a guy who crashed his Exige 1km from the dealer, because it was raining ^^ Evo did a good job on that :)

I don't really understand the Exige hate so I ran a test - if your on my friends list you should receive 4 challenges that I set using the 3 usual suspect performance cars (RGT, FF & GTS) and did a comparison time in the Exige - all runs were less than 5 laps and all posted top ten times. Have a go yourselves but the Exige was within .5 of a second of the others for me.

lordxar

I don't really understand the Exige hate so I ran a test - if your on my friends list you should receive 4 challenges that I set using the 3 usual suspect performance cars (RGT, FF & GTS) and did a comparison time in the Exige - all runs were less than 5 laps and all posted top ten times. Have a go yourselves but the Exige was within .5 of a second of the others for me.

I took it to the next level. Same cars & track but heavy rain. I will say the RUF & FF aren't bad but the AMG is as twitchy as the Exige but it sounds mean as hell. The problem I have is the awful handling. The Exige is a handful to drive.

thectzn

Neo Member
I have some room in our lv46 club: Le Mans Racing.

Doesn't matter if you just started with Driveclub or completing your 495 stars :)
Just to have fun and do some challenges solo/club or against some members from the forum :)

Send me an invite, good sir. :)

PSN: thectzn

I took it to the next level. Same cars & track but heavy rain. I will say the RUF & FF aren't bad but the AMG is as twitchy as the Exige but it sounds mean as hell. The problem I have is the awful handling. The Exige is a handful to drive.

I take it your using the usual camera view high to the back of the car? If you know the track well try using bumper or bonnet cam? To me it feels more responsive - Postcyberpunk has switched recently and says it's helped him reduce his lap times a lot....

T_Exige

I have 0 friends on PSN that play Driveclub. Is there a club I can join?? I also don't have/use a mic, hope that's okay.

Add me on psn, I will throw you an invite :)

DHC I did a quick test on your challenges, not the best times, but shows how close these cars are.
GTS 1:06.907
Exige 1:06.740
RGT8 1:06.258

I started exactly at 8:00 and ran out of time during the last stage. Probably due to the the screen shot taking. One stage less would have helped here.

The day of rallying concept is fine, but leave out the snow. For someone who has little experience on a certain track, the near-zero visibility would be too much of a handicap.

The car selection works, but I can also see it working with one and the same car for all tracks. Maybe anounce the chosen car a bit earlier, so people can get a bit used to its handling. It then all comes down to the tracks and overall skill.

You could alternate between p2p, the larger circuits and rally racing (only on shorter circuits against at least pro AI).

At the end of the racing day (or even each stage) award championship points to the ten best racers to reflect the overall standings.

That doesn't sound like this game.

And DHC, I thought the time limit was perfect. Each trial should be about one-shot, if I wanted to race against players perfected times, I'd just go to challenegs.

Thanks for the responses guys :)

My plan for the next one is to issue the stage 1 challenge, once everyone is over the line I'll post the leaderboard on here (hence the test yesterday) and then issue the stage 2 challenge and so on. As the leaderboard is updated after each round I always get the first time they post (no point in them doing the run again), everyone gets a feel for how they are doing and we don't have any running out of time issues (challenge length isn't critical now).

Snow :- Yeah a night snow race was probably pushing it a bit, there was probably only Auctopus who didn't stick it in the barriers at least once!

I did think about the single car rally, for continuity and realism but it's tough to pick a car that pleases everyone and at least with a different car each race (hopefully) everyone will find one stage that suits them.

I do like the idea of mixing P2P and circuits, and I like the championship leaderboard thing too... we could do our own Driveclub WRC and set a rally in each country location...

I'd like to see a total gap column (also).

Good idea, I've added that now.

Good ideas. I'd say next time though just set a good pace to start with so we have a base time to hit. Run again with us of course or...maybe we run something and submit it for the whole that way your not doing as much.

I don't really want a ghost run on there, if it was possible to create a challenge without doing one then that's how I'd do it. Hopefully the new way of running the event and with a bit more organisation on my part it''ll be a lot easier to pull off.

DHC I did a quick test on your challenges, not the best times, but shows how close these cars are.

Yep which is pretty similar to what I found - I guess it all comes down to how you like your cars to handle. I like a car where I can control the back end with a bit of throttle (oversteer) but many guys prefer something a bit more neutral / less liable to spin on corner exit.

I guess the main issue with the Exige is that is doesn't go any faster than some of the easier to handle cars so many will just think 'what's the point in using it?'

lordxar

Yep which is pretty similar to what I found - I guess it all comes down to how you like your cars to handle. I like a car where I can control the back end with a bit of throttle (oversteer) but many guys prefer something a bit more neutral / less liable to spin on corner exit.

I guess the main issue with the Exige is that is doesn't go any faster than some of the easier to handle cars so many will just think 'what's the point in using it?'

That's the whole thing right there. The car handles abysmally so its definitely not a goto car at all. Now there is something to be said for having a fun car to drive which I do like the AMG cars and they are a handful as well. Been watching a lot of Top Gear lately and they pretty much say the same thing about the AMGs at least, handful but fun in a butt clenching way. The whole time I was running all those challenges I noticed that I was clenching hard while I was running them because of how bad they all drive. What I noticed was the FF only needed one lap for a decent time where the RUF needed like two, the Lotus 3 or 4 and the AMG...well it took a bit to get around without crashing into something.

Like usual I bitch about something and actually test it out to find it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Or more likely I learn to drive the thing and end up better off.

nib95

Banned

I actually really like the Exige in the game. It's a bit of a handful, but it's slipperiness can be used to it's advantage too.

It's strange, because even though the cars seem like they are so different with respect to handling mechanics, speed and track capability, many are surprisingly evenly matched and competitive. Evo have done a great job with the balance in this game, given the real stat differences that exist between the different vehicles anyway.

Sometimes I think it boils down to how individual players race, or the kind of vehicle characteristics that they most prefer, as oppose to specific top vehicles themselves. For example, I get on with the Zonda R more than any other Hyper car, but on the leader boards among top times, the Venom GT and P1 are more popular.

T_Exige

It is details like that, that make this game so good.

Like in real life:
Ferrari FF is luxury 260k car that does what it is made for, fast and very good handling.
AMG cars are mostly heavy with alot of personality. (Top gear has shown this many times)
RUF with the engine in the rear, serious trackday weapon, extreme performance, that can be unforgiven.
Lotus Exige, 70k fun car, fraction of the price compared to the others, that can keep up with the rest if you drive it on the limit.

The 4c should hang there with the Exige as its major rival.

I should compare the 12c and the 650s, but the performance class is still my favourite.

Deband

Can someone help me with this. I go into drive then into single event, time trial, I then pick a country and track, set some times but when I go back to it it says I have done 0 miles on it. Think it says I have done 0 miles in the car I was in as well.

I finally had some time to redo the SemiPro trophy after the previous horrid outing with the Lotus Exige. I chose a Beemer this time around and I didn't have a problem with getting all the points. Exige is a really hard car to use...or I have no idea how to drive it...or both. :p

Top Bottom