• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I wanna play so bad but I'm waiting until everything is up and running. I want photo mode, replay, challenges and online to be working 100% before I hop back on. Thankfully I have TEW, ME:SOM and Bayonetta 2 coming up in a week to tide me over.

viveks86

Remember this?

Yeah, well...

RaPpevB.jpg

This game officially hates me. No really...fuck you, Driveclub!

Let's just say that balance has been restored to the universe :p

Fastest I've seen so far was 6,000 something. Have ran across several in the thousands, so clearly some major glitching going on. Despite that I'm enjoying the faceoffs. Though I tend to do shitty in recess from trying to best them!

I've seen one at 8,800 lol. Guess I got hit those corners faster >.<

Boogat

I have 223 out of 225 stars in the tour, and of course the last two I need are the Pagani Drift and the Venom Hot Lap... About ready to break a controller over these two challenges.

Hugstable

Banned
Ewwww. Use dash cam or cockpit to enjoy those godly window reflections. It's in that regatd that driveclub visually feels unique and next-gen. Goind down a dirty street in the slums of India at 150 mph in a pagani with the Sun reflecting off of your windshield is breathtaking.

If you don't like the cockpit view because it takes away scene real estate. Then use dashboard cam.

I don't use the one where it has the hood in front, I use the cam where it's straight first person. The road and overall feeling there is really fast and I love it, I usually have used the same cam in Gran Turismo series also, and Driveclub pulls that sense of speed off so well so far.

Lady Gaia

Online this evening was quick and painless. Or relatively so, but that German/British tour event is positively brutal. The game rewards excellence and seems to punish anything less progressively more as you get deeper into the game. There's nothing like letting off the accelerator briefly to take a yellow flagged curve only to realize that it's not really necessary going uphill &#8211; as you're aggressively overtaken by every car you've fought hard to get out in front of. You will learn every subtle aspect of every corner by the time you've mastered a track.

I haven't been this drawn into a driving title since the original Need for Speed on the 3DO. Hopefully it gets good enough word of mouth to survive the disastrous launch and mediocre reviews, because it deserves a chance.

Rodelero

Despite various visual treats, I find that the cockpit view harms the game's IQ fairly substantially. The poor texture filtering on the road, in particular, is so damned obvious and in the cockpit camera you can't see the nearby road that looks relatively nice.

For hotlaps I'm typically using the bonnet (hood) camera. On GT and FM I used to use the bumper cams, but due to the huge elevation shifts in this game I find it a bit low to the ground a lot of the time.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I have 223 out of 225 stars in the tour, and of course the last two I need are the Pagani Drift and the Venom Hot Lap... About ready to break a controller over these two challenges.

I'm focussing on these two now before I carry on with the rest of that tier then going back to do the Stars I've missed. That way, all other races will seem easy in comparison. :D

nasanu

Banned
I love this game but I think I am ready to shelve it. I have 225/225 stars, multiplayer usually does not work and when it does you are racing idiots. I was planning on time trialing and got a couple of #1 times but then saw clear evidence of hacks at work on other leaderboards (16 seconds faster than me?... No, not without some sort of cheat you are not).

So
Single Player: Finished
Multiplayer: Broken and badly designed (really no lobbies?).
Time Trials: hacked

Net Game Worth: 0

Such a shame. The actual driving is an awesome experience. They nailed the simple experience of driving an awesome car through a beautiful environment. Pity at this stage that is about all you can do.

dano1

A Sheep
I love this game but I think I am ready to shelve it. I have 225/225 stars, multiplayer usually does not work and when it does you are racing idiots. I was planning on time trialing and got a couple of #1 times but then saw clear evidence of hacks at work on other leaderboards (16 seconds faster than me?... No, not without some sort of cheat you are not).

So

Such a shame. The actual driving is an awesome experience. They nailed the simple experience of driving an awesome car through a beautiful environment. Pity at this stage that is about all you can do.

Season pass adds 176 new tour events. I think there was 52 you just did. That's alot of play time!

nasanu

Banned
Season pass adds 176 new tour events. I think there was 52 you just did. That's alot of play time!

Yeah I have the season pass, I regret that, got nothing for it so far.

The thing is that I was only ever interested in multiplayer and that is not good enough even with working servers. Why can't we create a room that people can join IF their ping to that room is good enough? Why do we have to be randomly placed in with people on the other side of the earth? And why can't there be some kind of rating of drivers based on car to car contact? High contact sore? Sorry, you can only race with other idiots. That would be a good option to have. So many little things missing from this online focused game.

TheBear

Look into your Direct from Playstation notifications.
There should be a message waiting, that will redirect you the PS Store with a coupon code that will download functional preorder bonuses (the original ones that fail to download are totally useless).

Where can I find Direct from Playstation notifications? Looked everywhere for the preorder coupon

The thing is that I was only ever interested in multiplayer and that is not good enough even with working servers. Why can't we create a room that people can join IF their ping to that room is good enough? Why do we have to be randomly placed in with people on the other side of the earth? And why can't there be some kind of rating of drivers based on car to car contact? High contact sore? Sorry, you can only race with other idiots. That would be a good option to have. So many little things missing from this online focused game.

Pass the suggestions on to them at their Facebook page. They keep saying they're looking for feedback/suggestions.

viveks86

What the hell?! Legend trophy was too easy. I was expecting a crazy difficulty spike. Even the AI seemed pretty tame :/

That scotland track looked insanely good. The last I remember racing it was in a vw beetle. Felt so different tearing through it in a zonda. Sense of speed and lighting were amazing.

Also, this is some of the smoothest 30 fps I have ever seen!

Prototype

Seriously. This.

Lots of things missing, basic things, well.. the game working for starters, but even beyond that. For all the talk leading up to release about it's social connectivity and online mp focus... i just don't understand, and never will.

Jimrpg

I was stuggling with drifting until it just clicked with me last night. Use automatic transmission since it is easier. When approaching a drift zone hold down the ebrake while keeping the throttle down. Once the rear end loses traction sufficiently enough to get drift points, release the ebrake and keep drifting as long as possible. You may have to feather the throttle a bit at this point to keep on track.

cheers, Ill give it a go.

I think the difficulty is nailing all the corners consecutively, and there's such a fine margin for error when executing. Is drifting even any faster than standard brake and turn? I'm not sure its worth the risk/reward on the amateur cars yet, not sure about the later cars though as I'm not up to them.

T_Exige

Looking for 1 more driver in our club Lv19 "Le Mans Racing"
Somebody who prefers clean driving, but keeping things fun and relaxed :)

Also, this is some of the smoothest 30 fps I have ever seen!

100% Agree with this. I always thought 60fps is the only way for racing games but I don't find any problem with Driveclub so far. It's smooth and responsive.

That said I'm still curious to see this game in 60fps.

GHG

Gold Member
I wanna play so bad but I'm waiting until everything is up and running. I want photo mode, replay, challenges and online to be working 100% before I hop back on. Thankfully I have TEW, ME:SOM and Bayonetta 2 coming up in a week to tide me over.

Ditto. I think I'm shelving this till the new year. I have too many other games keeping me busy at the moment and through to the new year.

Sorry to say it but with this game it feels like I've bought into an early access game or something. Sony, this isn't how it's supposed to be. This game is better than that and deserved a better chance, even if it ended up being delayed again in order to make sure it turned out as intended.

dano1

A Sheep

Season pass starts next month.
And I believe they said create a room is in the works.
GT online wasn't very good it's first year out either

T_Exige

Hmm annoyed with the leaderboard... I got a time from 12:32 at the Semi-Pro Trophy, wich would be 2nd time on the leaderboard, but it doesnt show my name ...

murgo

Playing online is not fun at all. One dude actually crashed into ME and afterwards sent me a nice "Bitch" message via PSN.

Ditto. I think I'm shelving this till the new year. I have too many other games keeping me busy at the moment and through to the new year.

Sorry to say it but with this game it feels like I've bought into an early access game or something. Sony, this isn't how it's supposed to be. This game is better than that and deserved a better chance, even if it ended up being delayed again in order to make sure it turned out as intended.

This is exactly why I'm glad I didn't pop for this game.

After the delay the hype is gone for me anyway. At this point dont even care about the PS+ version, much less actually paying money for yet another game in 2014 that is unifinished.

Meh.

Edit: Maybe ill pick it up when its on sale in a year for $30 or less with a bunch of the DLC included...GOTY edition, etc....

This is exactly why I'm glad I didn't pop for this game.

After the delay the hype is gone for me anyway. At this point dont even care about the PS+ version, much less actually paying money for yet another game in 2014 that is unifinished.

Meh.

Edit: Maybe ill pick it up when its on sale in a year for $30 or less with a bunch of the DLC included...GOTY edition, etc....

Seems to be the modern cycle, the hype is more important than playing a great game, I for one am glad I got the game as it's just so damn good. I don't see the need to add yet more moaning though, either wait for the free version, the GOTY version or just skip it completely.

Not sure if there is a thread for this but I'm looking for a club. I joined a random one but it didn't seem like challenges were working and other club things. To tell you the truth I'm a little lost on what all the social features are in the game. More or less I just want to enjoy all Driveclub has to offer. Anyways my info.

PSN ID: dearapollo
Region: US East

Anarion07

I have yet to successfully join 2 multiplayer matches in a row.
One usualy works fine, but the second one so far NEVER did.
Always getting the communicating with server thing.

Seems to be the modern cycle, the hype is more important than playing a great game, I for one am glad I got the game as it's just so damn good. I don't see the need to add yet more moaning though, either wait for the free version, the GOTY version or just skip it completely.

You're joking, right?

So

DAT WEATHER UPDATE :)

Moozo

So when do we think this game will ACTUALLY work as intended? We're still no closer than a couple of days after launch. Another whole week?

Any tips on getting three stars on venom hot lap? Still struggling! Feel like I'm getting worse the longer I try it haha. Patience is growing thin!

Also is anyone using the handbrake at all to get the three stars or just managing fine with braking and accelerating?

guys you can laugh at me but I cannot beat ROOKIE TROPHY

my car feels weak even when I get myself into a good position to score points 4-6 cars just blow pass me at the end

not sure why this game is so hard for me at such an early stage, reminded me of my early years with Rad Racer where the first stage seems impossible lol

Goddammit I just bought this on PSN and I told myself I wouldn't. I'm a weak man.

that's nothing, i bought Sleeping Dogs.

my car feels weak even when I get myself into a good position to score points 4-6 cars just blow pass me at the end

not sure why this game is so hard for me at such an early stage, reminded me of my early years with Rad Racer where the first stage seems impossible lol

just wait till you unlock the most powerful car in that stage.
i got the semi-pro trophy before the rookie trophy.

GoaThief

Got a video of a race where this happens?

Aside from that, cheese the rubber band AI. Drive badly/slow then speed up near the end so they'll be braking for no reason and the like as they do. Should get you through it.

Aiii

So not worth it
So I don't get it, I am running tracks in tours, but none of my times show up in the leaderboards, is there a bug that is not registering leaderboard times? Bad servers? Or is it just shitty design that doesn't show your own times in the leaderboards?

What is up with this?

NeoRausch

I had an easy time with the beetle. Do you have a Club?
Is pretty easy with the Golf GTI.

nw3

Does anyone else feel that the cars can be rammed and spun out way too easily in multiplayer? I think they should patch this.

Incredibly frustrating - I wanna race, not play bumper cars and end up backwards just coz some idiot touched the back of my car

Cuyejo

I caved in and bought the damn thing, I needed a racer, and you know what, it's everything I was expecting, this game is comfy as fuck.

Still can't get online though, somebody got room in any club?

Really getting a feel on how to pump the gas & brakes. Can't wait to get to the high-end cars but this Semi-Pro trophy is proving to be a challenge! I'm very pleased with the game's difficulty, seems like it's escalating perfectly.

Top Bottom