• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Leunam

I was on Kobago (?) downhill and from the beginning of the race I fought my way back to the front at the very last straight at the tunnel. There was a huge mess at the end that I somehow managed to avoid involving four or five cars. I got pushed to the side at the finish line, crashed, spun out as I crossed the flag, and had to reset to the track. But the screen faded before I reset, and I think the game still counted me as finishing fourth even though I had to cross the finish a second time.

It must be extremely difficult to create a proper penalty system where seemingly small nudges are enough to really ruin someone's race. Too many times has someone purposefully shut the door on me (even my own teammates) or pushed me off track as I get the lead leading up to the finish. And the last time that happened we were racing very clean throughout the entire race so it really soured me on the whole experience.

Can't wait for private lobbies. It should really help in that regard.

kie25

Hmm, spinning around/going off track/hitting a wall in drift events still isn't penalized nor do speed sections seem to be giving any more points. Cars do seem to loose less speed while drifting but that just might be my imagination. And they've moved back the starting position a bit in at least one drift event - that Race Track India 2 one that people seem to love for some reason, judging by community challenges.

Changes are subtle, to say the least.
They have not changed speed sections what they have done is reward drifting that maintains speed not having your car at stupid angles it is miles better now, I tried 1 before and can safely say it's improved massively.

nib95

Banned
The trackside cameras for the point to point tracks look pretty great. I think for the car cameras hopefully we'll get an update that has camera angles similar to the Lamborghini trailer.

Norway Pagani Replay with trackside cam.

https://youtu.be/AtwiG0jLMq0

ovaxkx.gif

Incredible GIF.

What sort of audio settings are you guys running with? I use dash cam/cockpit, I've bumped audio engine +2db, misc player sounds +1db, and competitor race cars +1db. Pretty good balance so far, not sure if I'll stick with it. But honestly, the default audio balance is already pretty ideal.

Duallusion

They have not changed speed sections what they have done is reward drifting that maintains speed not having your car at stupid angles it is miles better now, I tried 1 before and can safely say it's improved massively.

I did notice you don't seem to get as many points as before when you're drifting completely sideways, yeah. Hopefully that will be enough to stop those "top drifters" from spinning around in every drift section.

What sort of audio settings are you guys running with? I use dash cam/cockpit, I've bumped audio engine +2db, misc player sounds +1db, and competitor race cars +1db. Pretty good balance so far, not sure if I'll stick with it. But honestly, the default audio balance is already pretty ideal.

I've set the engine audio to max, component audio to max, environment audio to max, and kept everything else on default.

nikos

Is it just me or are there two identical trackside cameras that are selectable?

EDIT: One seems to be labeled replay cameras. Maybe it saves all of the camera work you did during the replay.

I was on Kobago (?) downhill and from the beginning of the race I fought my way back to the front at the very last straight at the tunnel. There was a huge mess at the end that I somehow managed to avoid involving four or five cars. I got pushed to the side at the finish line, crashed, spun out as I crossed the flag, and had to reset to the track. But the screen faded before I reset, and I think the game still counted me as finishing fourth even though I had to cross the finish a second time.

It must be extremely difficult to create a proper penalty system where seemingly small nudges are enough to really ruin someone's race. Too many times has someone purposefully shut the door on me (even my own teammates) or pushed me off track as I get the lead leading up to the finish. And the last time that happened we were racing very clean throughout the entire race so it really soured me on the whole experience.

Can't wait for private lobbies. It should really help in that regard.

Yeah I think you mean Nagasendo.

They have improved this a lot since launch when the slightest touch could send you spinning, but of course it is still possible for people to really mess up your race either through deliberate or accidental means. The latest ghosting patch has also improved things though of course it doesn't always get things right. At least there's online time trials to switch too now if you find yourself getting smashed in the races.

On the other had there's this which happened to me last night where I got a load of verbal off this guy for 'deliberately trying to take him out' - see what you think.

https://youtu.be/HIrx-WPboDc

Putty

Incredible GIF.

Player Engine +3
Player Misc +3
Collision -2
Competitor +2
Environment 0

Putty

No the effect I'm asking for, is the heathaze provoking mirage like water reflection, just as in my F1 shot.
Normally, it is part of the update list.

Its is, on the little Chile DLC track Los Pemwhatever. Not tried on others. The new heat hase effect is really nice. Very noticable in zoomed shots.

Leunam

On the other had there's this which happened to me last night where I got a load of verbal off this guy for 'deliberately trying to take him out' - see what you think.

https://youtu.be/HIrx-WPboDc

Dude took himself out. It's funny to watch people shoot past and then completely lose it right after. I'm guilty of it at times but it's pretty much always my fault if I can't hold on after a clean or even slightly bumpy overtake.

kie25

Dude took himself out. It's funny to watch people shoot past and then completely lose it right after. I'm guilty of it at times but it's pretty much always my fault if I can't hold on after a clean or even slightly bumpy overtake.

I have to disagree here you hit the car infront in a bend that sends him into a spin and he hits barrier and looses control, if I got hit from behind like that id be pretty annoyed aswell to be fair.

Ted

Has anyone noticed a "lazy" option where all of the various camera options are used but they are pre-arranged, like a Gran Turismo style replay?

I like all the options and switching between them on the fly is great for the photo mode enthusiasts but it would be cool if I could just watch a pre-built replay without having to create it.

[EDIT - Thanks bananafactory, it's just called "Replay Cameras" and is actually the first option! Playing in the daylight hours is clearly messing with my brain.]

A couple of track-side cam replay gifs from my favourite track:

dc-replay-gif-0034uljp.gif

dc-replay-gif-0042xbw4.gif

Has anyone noticed a "lazy" option where all of the various camera options are used but they are pre-arranged, like a Gran Turismo style replay?

I like all the options and switching between them on the fly is great for the photo mode enthusiasts but it would be cool if I could just watch a pre-built replay without having to create it.

A couple of track-side cam replay gifs from my favourite track:

dc-replay-gif-0034uljp.gif

dc-replay-gif-0042xbw4.gif

There's supposed to be one setting where it will just cycle through the various types of cameras randomly (trackside, vehicle, etc)

I have to disagree here you hit the car infront in a bend that sends him into a spin and he hits barrier and looses control, if I got hit from behind like that id be pretty annoyed aswell to be fair.

Oh really - I think the key word here is deliberate. I'm on the correct line while he's miles off it, and I'm off the power and trying not to hit him whilst he comes back across me. It doesn't help that we're all in One's which isn't the easiest to control.

Leunam

This makes sense, but I would argue that the other dude could have saved himself if he eased off the throttle just a little bit to prevent going so far into the wall and then losing control from lack of grip.

Denur

Ran them all and pretty much got 1:21 something for each but the Alpine, that handles like shit.
I ran them all now too, and I love the Alpine, so much fun! Maybe it is taste?

Loving the replays too and I've also got the feeling that I get better feedback from the wheel since this game update.

jett

D-Member
The trackside cameras for the point to point tracks look pretty great. I think for the car cameras hopefully we'll get an update that has camera angles similar to the Lamborghini trailer.

Norway Pagani Replay with trackside cam.

https://youtu.be/AtwiG0jLMq0

ovaxkx.gif

Having a fade-in every time there is a camera change is such a mistake. They should just use simple cuts. It gives me a serious disjointed vibe.

AristoCat

Just tryed the replay mode on japan goshodaira and sides cameras. That's just awful.
The cameras changes are too quick, and the sound is cut every times too, there is no continuity between cuts.

I will try to illustrate what I'm saying soon with a video.

benzy

Just tryed the replay mode on japan goshodaira and sides cameras. That's just awful.
The cameras changes are too quick, and the sound is cut every times too, there is no continuity between cuts.

Yeah, the sound cutting is especially jarring with the sidetrack cameras whenever there's a camera transition; Gran Turismo has a much smoother sound transition between cuts as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI_jDyY7Yew

lordxar

Its a bit jarring on track cam but replay cam is better. I just want to control which cameras it uses, even if only a pick list of which it uses...dat overhead cam...holy fuck!

lordxar

Its worth noting that replays add a 250 MB save file so if your auto syncing DC saves, beware. I set mine to manual a while ago and just upload it when I've unlocked some stars.

farmerboy

Loving replays if only for the fact that I'm pretty much exclusively watching from the cockpit as I only use hood cam when I play. It's interesting to see how much I adjust my steering as I go around the track, its not something I was conscious of till seeing the replays.

On some tracks I look like a schizo driving a getaway car.

GOT. TO. BE. SMOOTHER.

I ran them all now too, and I love the Alpine, so much fun! Maybe it is taste?

Loving the replays too and I've also got the feeling that I get better feedback from the wheel since this game update.

You're damn quick in that Alpine bud, well actually with all the cars I'm struggling to get near you. Dunno if it's the wheel update or your just on fire on that track :)

Mango - Can't believe I've never noticed that before!

You're damn quick in that Alpine bud, well actually with all the cars I'm struggling to get near you. Dunno if it's the wheel update or your just on fire on that track :)

Mango - Can't believe I've never noticed that before!
I'm quicker :p

And there's plenty of time to be made, I bashed the wall in straight bits slowing me down twice lol

v1lla21

share factory sorely needs a DC theme. Working on a drifting video right now.

What car and track would you guys love to see me destroy? :p

Shaneus

Yeah, I only tried one track with the replays quickly and found it to be a little bit less than impressive. Can only assume some tracks have better placed cameras, and that certain lighting is better than others (I tried dynamic weather with random skies on one of the Japanese tracks).

Can't wait to get back to it tonight, though. And having permanent access to the 599XX is like having another new car! When do we get access to the Lambos again?

share factory sorely needs a DC theme. Working on a drifting video right now.

What car and track would you guys love to see me destroy? :p
I'm not sure how Share Factory works with themes and such, but I'm genuinely surprised there hasn't been any kind of PS4 Driveclub theme. The design of the game just begs for an animated console theme! Rushy?

I'm quicker :p

And there's plenty of time to be made, I bashed the wall in straight bits slowing me down twice lol

I got ahead of you in the Merc in a few places but you'd always get away on the exit of the twisty section. I've got the fastest time for the Mazzanti back tho and I'm now second to Kie with the Alpine :)

Top Bottom