• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

farmerboy

Anyone else think the handling feels a little driftier since the patch?

Yeah I do. Kinda feels a bit more gradual to me, more controllable. Was thinking last night maybe the drifting tweaks are also included in the main racing model.

Can we get confirmation from Rushy or maybe Kie25s thoughts?

Bloody hell, I know I can't match it with you boys but I would be down to 4th on this challenge now. I gather we're talking about the Mazzanti challenge.

I think I sent you a friend request (you alexisbrilliant?).
Indeed x2.

Not too bad really, I've only used the Mazzanti in the tour event it was in when it was added. Didn't really like it, too slippery but it does OK for that track.

kie25

There are no actual handling differences. Also drifting physics are exactly the same all they have changed is how you are rewarded for drifting, carrying speed is rewarded over angle now, to stop the old tricks people were doing. On a side note I did feel like I could push the wheel a little harder last few days, however I recon this is due to me actually feeling wide awake, as if I play tired im half a second slower than my best, my reactions everything go down the drain. Just put the mazzanti Evantra into the 14s on a 14.6 now that car is a beast.

Shaneus

There are no actual handling differences.
Only thing I can think of it that maybe they've improved the time for post-processing therefore input lag is down a touch? Just speculating. Or maybe controller settings (including invisible assists) have been tweaked, which you may not notice with the wheel.

Which wheel did you have, BTW? Just curious :)

kie25

Only thing I can think of it that maybe they've improved the time for post-processing therefore input lag is down a touch? Just speculating. Or maybe controller settings (including invisible assists) have been tweaked, which you may not notice with the wheel.

Which wheel did you have, BTW? Just curious :)

T500rs I use.

Rushy has already said there have been no handling changes on twitter, so I'm not sure why people can feel any difference, I tried pad b4 and it felt no difference. But I ain't used it in awhile.

kie25

There's a placebo effect with the handling almost every time there's a new update. lol

Totally agree, someone has a bad night a drives crap and blames it on the update ha, I have nights where I just can't get up to full speed consistently and it's normally tiredness, people just like putting it down to updates I guess.

IKizzLE

The Vuhl handles like shit but has some of the sickest sounding backfire I've ever heard. The +3db REALLY helps that car sound ridiculous.

Denur

There are no actual handling differences. Also drifting physics are exactly the same
Monday I thought the wheel handling was different, but not anymore when I ran the same challenges yesterday. The feeling was possibly different on Monday because I had only done some challenges on Sunday after a week-long break and I sucked big time. Come Monday, racing on the same track, things were of course easier, because I had gotten used again to both track and car(s). I never felt any difference regarding drifting.

Have they improved on the graphics in the last couple of patches? I just played for the first time in a month or two and was, again, shocked at how amazing this looks in the right circumstances; hud-less, in-car camera, dynamic weather. Love that the cockpit now has more audible wiper and rain sound as well. The whole experience is just so much more immersive than at launch, and I loved it back then as well. I appreciate how much they've fined tuned everything, from hitting barriers to minimizing (frustrating) punishments to a good level.

Cudder

What was the last free track we got named? I don't think I've played it yet, and it's been a few weeks since I played Driveclub so I'm not sure which one is the new one.

@Rushy

I personally think you've done a very good job at replays, thanks very much for adding this important and long overdue feature.

Other people in this thread have made valid constructive feedback regarding replays and for me, the biggest issue that sticks out like a sore thumb is the complete lack of motion blur on the car alloys/tires when the cars are at speed. This completely breaks the immersion for replay eye-candy because it appears that the cars are moving much slower than they should and looks artificial.

I'd like to request that the cars(at least in replays, gameplay is a bonus) receive motion blur on the alloys/tires in a future game update....only because it appears that it isnt too hardware intensive and was actually a feature properly implemented 2 generations on Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2.

Below are some examples of exactly what I'm referring to in other games from an older generation:

Gran Turismo 3: (basic implimentation without full screen motion but very convincing nonetheless for the effective blurring of the alloys/tires- which is my point)

hyU4srlQ

Gran Turismo 5: (Best examples)

CaaqTLQy

VkfYdhjS

Project Gotham Racing 4:

eHy7qeE6

Project Gotham Racing 3:

ZbjQRllh

...and here is a screenshot I took today of a Driveclub replay where you can clearly see the lack of motion blur on the Ferrari's alloys/tires even though you can see the background is blurring slightly to convey at least some form of movement:

Fd52iHNC

I hope this can be patched in at some point soon Paul, thanks so much again for the continued amazing post launch support for this game.

@Rushy

I personally think you've done a very good job at replays, thanks very much for adding this important and long overdue feature.

Other people in this thread have made valid constructive feedback regarding replays and for me, the biggest issue that sticks out like a sore thumb is the complete lack of motion blur on the car alloys/tires when the cars are at speed. This completely breaks the immersion for replay eye-candy because it appears that the cars are moving much slower than they should and looks artificial.

I'd like to request that the cars(at least in replays, gameplay is a bonus) receive motion blur on the alloys/tires in a future game update....only because it appears that it isnt too hardware intensive and was actually a feature properly implemented 2 generations on Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2.

Below are some examples of exactly what I'm referring to in other games from an older generation:

Gran Turismo 3: (basic implimentation without full screen motion but very convincing nonetheless for the effective blurring of the alloys/tires- which is my point)

hyU4srlQ

CaaqTLQy

VkfYdhjS

Project Gotham Racing 4:

eHy7qeE6

Project Gotham Racing 3:

ZbjQRllh

...and here is a screenshot I took today of a Driveclub replay where you can clearly see the lack of motion blur on the Ferrari's alloys/tires even though you can see the background is blurring slightly to convey at least some form of movement:

Fd52iHNC

I hope this can be patched in at some point soon Paul, thanks so much again for the continued amazing post launch support for this game.

I've not looked too much in to it, but have you not just got the shutter speed too high? Try dropping it for what you're after.

I've not looked too much in to it, but have you not just got the shutter speed too high? Try dropping it for what you're after.

Hey mate, you're referring to photmode...I'm talking about replays lol
The funny thing is, Driveclub has perfect blurring of car alloys/tires in photomode with a slow enough shutter speed but in replay and gameplay...it is non-existant.

I only requested this feature as it appears not too hardware intensive...given that we've had this feature from games of past generations in gameplay and replays, which I highlighted in my post.

Shaneus

But that's just talking about photos... pretty sure Cuthbert is talking about motion blur in replays themselves. When you see a close-up of a wheel during one of the replays, there's never any motion blur applied. Conversely, watch this video when the car drives past, the wheels are blurred.

Edit: Beaten.

F-Pina

@Rushy

hyU4srlQ

This is totally off-topic but always found it cool.
I think in GT1 / 2 days they used just a blurred texture with transparency that simulated the motion blur of the rims. It was an awesome touch.

cjp

How can I set it up so I can just continue to drive solo around a track as much as I want?

Every time I reach the finish line I get boited to a results screen?

There must be a way to just drive non stop. Am I just being a complete idiot?

Leunam

Change the number of laps in the race settings prior to selecting a car.

Although I'm not sure how high the lap count goes.

kie25

How can I set it up so I can just continue to drive solo around a track as much as I want?

I'm confused just do time trial.

Siegmeyer

Impossible on the point-to-point tracks. For any circuit track just pick Time Trial, you can drive until you quit.

cjp

Change the number of laps in the race settings prior to selecting a car.

Although I'm not sure how high the lap count goes.

I'm confused just do time trial.

Impossible on the point-to-point tracks. For any circuit track just pick Time Trial, you can drive until you quit.

Yup, I'm an idiot. I didn't look closely enough at the map on a couple I picked. They looked like circuits even though they're clearly labelled P2P in the top left.

IKizzLE

In all honesty, whoever did the network coding should be fired. I can't imagine Fucking up that bad for a product launch at my company and still having a job.

In all honesty, whoever did the network coding should be fired. I can't imagine Fucking up that bad for a product launch at my company and still having a job.

Depends where you work, I guess. At my employer it's all about accountability. I've made significant mistakes that affected a large number of people (10 000+ at one point) but I own up to them when they happen, and as long as I did due diligence (proper QA, testing, etc) as approved by my peers and supervisors, sometimes there's almost no way to anticipate the problems that occur.

IKizzLE

Depends where you work, I guess. At my employer it's all about accountability. I've made significant mistakes that affected a large number of people (10 000+ at one point) but I own up to them when they happen, and as long as I did due diligence (proper QA, testing, etc) as approved by my peers and supervisors, sometimes there's almost no way to anticipate the problems that occur.
True, but this was not a simple mistake. A team of network coders built something that just did not work, at all for two months and is preventing another product from launching six months out. In terms of video software, this is as bad as it gets. This isn't something that comes from a simple or significant mistake. This has to be from awful coding at the foundation.

This is not a situation where holding accountability and saying "This was my bad", will suffice. And personally, I've played a lot of racers online that worked well and as harsh as this may sound, I don't want the same network engineers who worked on driveclub to work on EVOs next game. Hire someone else who has been proven in other AAA racers.

kie25

True, but this was not a simple mistake. A team of network coders built something that just did not work, at all for two months and is preventing another product from launching six months out. In terms of video software, this is as bad as it gets. This isn't something that comes from a simple or significant mistake. This has to be from awful coding at the foundation.

This is not a situation where holding accountability and saying "This was my bad", will suffice. And personally, I've played a lot of racers online that worked well and as harsh as this may sound, I don't want the same network engineers who worked on driveclub to work on EVOs next game. Hire someone else who has been proven in other AAA racers.

I believe you should hold off on saying things like this, as you are not aware off what actually happened. There are details that you won't be aware off, things that may have been unpredictable, to say they should be sacked is slightly disrespectful, as these are the same people that worked on motorstorm games with no problems. These people put there heart into trying to make things as special as they could and at least they gave it a try, it didn't work out but I'm sure they have learned from there mistakes.

IKizzLE

I believe you should hold off on saying things like this, as you are not aware off what actually happened. There are details that you won't be aware off, things that may have been unpredictable, to say they should be sacked is slightly disrespectful, as these are the same people that worked on motorstorm games with no problems. These people put there heart into trying to make things as special as they could and at least they gave it a try, it didn't work out but I'm sure they have learned from there mistakes.
Not everyone on the team works in the netcode. I'm talking about the people who worked on the networking infrastructure, not the group of individuals who made the game. No I do not know what happened since I'm not on the team, but something went wrong during the product launch. Whoever was responsible, I rather not have them working on a driveclub 2 or whatever comes next. I'm an engineer for a major company and I know for a fact, that whatever I'm in charge of fails to function, I'd pack my bags before my lead came to fire me.

Edit: This is a cutthroat business. Critical errors like this can kill people in other industries, but in terms of videogames, could you imagine how much driveclub would've sold if it launched working 100% with the ps plus version there? The group of people in charge of the network literally costed Sony millions of dollars. Would not be surprised if they were let go. Putting your heart into something is nice and all, but this is a billion dollar industry where saying the wrong thing at a conference or on Twitter will get you fired.

Am I missing something with the replays? Do you have to stick to the preset options. I know you can cycle through the options as it plays. But I was hoping that you could set up your view choices around the track so you could create epic videos.

For example I want cockpit view at the start then switch straight to trackside view around first corner. Then into a shot of the front of the car before switching to a wing shot to see the brakes light up coming up to the next corner.

As it stands I have to just hit the replay option and hope.

Am I missing something with the replays? Do you have to stick to the preset options. I know you can cycle through the options as it plays. But I was hoping that you could set up your view choices around the track so you could create epic videos.

For example I want cockpit view at the start then switch straight to trackside view around first corner. Then into a shot of the front of the car before switching to a wing shot to see the brakes light up coming up to the next corner.

As it stands I have to just hit the replay option and hope.

That would be a cool addition for a future update but I've never seen a game that offered that level of replay customization.

One thing I would like that should be easy to implement is the ability to shuffle views for other replay types as well, rather than manual switching.

Ie. When you pick the vehicle camera you have to manually cycle through the views, it would be good to have an option for random vehicle cameras

2 months is an exaggeration, it was working but patchy after a week and has been improving all the time. From the outside the issue seemed to be more server capacity estimates rather than inherent problems with the code. I wouldn't wish for anyone to lose their jobs over this, like you said no one died over this mistake. They ran tests that appeared to confirm everything was ok but things didn't pan out that way. I really don't think the people responsible for this would make the same mistakes again - people live and learn. The saying where I work is if you've never made a mistake then you've never done anything.

Yes it was a high profile expensive mistake but I think they've suffered enough.

Top Bottom