• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Game is very competitive, you're always up against tough competition in the same class as you, so you can't just blow by them with a higher spec car. 1st and 12th could just be 5 seconds apart.

Siegmeyer

I think he means people continuing to play/talk about the game are implicitly defending all the issues.

How dare we have fun?

Pretty much, and this attitude is stinking up all the DC threads at the moment.

Is this a completely botched launch with a ton of issues? - Yes, absolutely

Am I still able to have a tonne of fun with what does work? - No doubt, haven't had this much fun with a racer in years.

Will wallowing in misery about the issues mean they get solved quicker? - Obviously not.

I get that there are many disappointed people, rant away all you like, but no one is defending the problems, they're just able to look past them and get get a lot of satisfaction from what does work. Please stop trying to bring us down because we're not as pissed off as you.

Flail

Neo Member
ixjubh.gif

Auctopus

Yeah, that rubber band AI :-/

Yep, people have been denying it but it's definitely in there if not more subtle than motor storm.

You can have a direct effect on an AI's lap time just by driving slower. You can also catch up with the herd in an instant whereas you've gotta land some pretty perfect laps at full speed to even think about getting more than 2 seconds away from them.

Nyx

Yep, people have been denying it but it's definitely in there if not more subtle than motor storm.

You can have a direct effect on an AI's lap time just by driving slower. You can also catch up with the herd in an instant whereas you've gotta land some pretty perfect laps at full speed to even think about getting more than 2 seconds away from them.

The only rubberbanding in the game is when you get so far behind the rest that the AI slows down a bit for you to catch up.

If you are in front the AI just drives better to catch you, they can't go any faster than their car let them go.

I have to say, DriveClub is good and after a good bash on it yesterday, i have to say the game is spoilt by the AI, i much prefer doing the time trials or play online.

its a potentially great game spoilt by the AI,

Nah, ofcourse people can dislike the AI but there's also people that love the AI and I'm one of them.

khani47

Neo Member
I have to say, DriveClub is good and after a good bash on it yesterday, i have to say the game is spoilt by the AI, i much prefer doing the time trials or play online.

its a potentially great game spoilt by the AI,

The only rubberbanding in the game is when you get so far behind the rest that the AI slows down a bit for you to catch up.

If you are in front the AI just drives better to catch you, they can't go any faster than their car let them go.
Yep, and I haven't seen anybody denying it. The rubber-banding, and specifically the AI slowing down to a crawl when the player messes up is my one big criticism when it comes to the parts of the game that work ;p

I don't mind aggressive AI though, and they've never come from behind unfairly that I've noticed. But in one of the Inside Sim Racing videos the host crashed three times - and I'm talking complete spin-offs the road and going sideways - on the last lap mind you - and he still finished first. It was an early race, but that really shouldn't have happened.

I dont like the penalty system and fuck the Ai. Some how they were able to out speed me in a straight line.
Were they drafting you or in a car with a higher top speed? One of those seems to be true when I've had that happen. That or I've seen the AI getting a better start off of the line because they nail their shifting. On straights its either drafting or a better car, or maybe you hit the brakes too much on that last turn?

Nah, ofcourse people can dislike the AI but there's also people that love the AI and I'm one of them.

I don't think we are playing the same game :/ whenever I pull out a lead them the AI is always right behind me. Way too many times they will blow past me with an inferior car on a straight too. It doesn't take away from the fun for me but it's pretty obvious rubber banding.

GoaThief

The former isn't the only thing Drive Club has. You can do slightly slower laps, speed up near the end and blow by everyone. You can consistently lap two seconds faster than the top challenge time and still come second with no errors.

The latter part of your post isn't true either, bouncing off the limiter in the Mono, a Atom blows by me like it's nothing. Impossible due to the gear ratios.

I have a feeling the developers will conceed there's something off about the AI again, in the first instance they absolutely denied any kind of rubber banding. Then it was a half band. I've experienced the above which leaves little doubt in my mind something is amiss.

Nyx

I don't think we are playing the same game :/ whenever I pull out a lead them the AI is always right behind me. Way too many times they will blow past me with an inferior car on a straight too. It doesn't take away from the fun for me but it's pretty obvious rubber banding.

I guess so.
Maybe that inferior car had higher acceleration than yours?

Anyway one of the developers said exactly what I just said and I don't have any reasons not to believe him.

Are you guys being honest when you say you are having fun?

I am just grinding my levels out, I am committed to reaching level 50 just to say I did not waste money.

even got the trophy for 1 million points drifting, and it is just because I am always out of control anyway

I can't really enjoy something I suck at, it is not that I am not trying I am having flashbacks of the times I sucked at Test Drive Unlimited loved the game but I could not manage to control the cars well enough, this is not a sim but there is no arcade fun to be had, I want to feel the rush of blasting passed the AI but this one is more of endurance and patience

As soon as I use a car beyond Sport, Spinout city for me I know I am doing something wrong (Not hitting the break enough or at all lol)

I am sure I just have not unlocked the car that has the grip on the road that suits my wild driving.

I hate hitting the brake so all my cars look like a flatten soda cans mid race :)
wish I could turn that function off I make these beautiful cars look horrible

I would love a guide or wiki to know the stats for each course, I want to know how long they are in Miles.

Heroman

Banned
Were they drafting you or in a car with a higher top speed? One of those seems to be true when I've had that happen. That or I've seen the AI getting a better start off of the line because they nail their shifting. On straights its either drafting or a better car, or maybe you hit the brakes too much on that last turn?

No they weren't drafting because they were in the other lane and I had the fastest car in the hot hatch series and the ai were in slower cars and some how I look past and two of them blow past me.

No they weren't drafting because they were in the other lane and I had the fastest car in the hot hatch series and the ai were in slower cars and some how I look past and two of them blow past me.
I don't know then - just haven't seen that myself is all, and I have had races where I've left the AI in the dust so they couldn't have been tightly tethered.

Now I have seen them slow down, plenty of times, and they slow down to a crawl.

Nyx

As soon as I use a car beyond Sport, Spinout city for me I know I am doing something wrong (Not hitting the break enough or at all lol).

You have to play more with the throttle I think.
Don't press the gas button in full but press a bit easier so you maintain your grip.

And practice ofc. :)
Everytime I went from my current class to the next (f.e. Performance to Sports) I had to learn using those kind of cars first before I could beat the events.

The former isn't the only thing Drive Club has. You can do slightly slower laps, speed up near the end and blow by everyone. You can consistently lap two seconds faster than the top challenge time and still come second with no errors.

The latter part of your post isn't true either, bouncing off the limiter in the Mono, a Atom blows by me like it's nothing. Impossible due to the gear ratios.

I have a feeling the developers will conceed there's something off about the AI again, in the first instance they absolutely denied any kind of rubber banding. Then it was a half band. I've experienced the above which leaves little doubt in my mind something is amiss.

hey denied the rubber band?

I set up a 25 lap event vs 11 just to listen to a podcast and drift all over the track, I drift crash roll the car so many times on lap 15 the first, second, third place car lapped me. I kept listening to the podcast not paying much attention for the next 10 laps finished in 8th place.

not sure how I could get lapped and still catch up later racing pretty much mindlessly to catch up to the whole pack to finish 8th

why would they deny the AI brakes and waits for you?

dano1

A Sheep
I guess so.
Maybe that inferior car had higher acceleration than yours?

Anyway one of the developers said exactly what I just said and I don't have any reasons not to believe him.

I read the same thing. Only rubber banding is if your really bad the AI will keep you in the race. I'm ok with it on beginning levels but should be taken out if your playing harder difficulty.

So AI is not allowed to overtake you then is that how it works?

Nyx

I set up a 25 lap event vs 11 just to listen to a podcast and drift all over the track, I drift crash roll the car so many times on lap 15 the first, second, third place car lapped me. I kept listening to the podcast not paying much attention for the next 10 laps finished in 8th place.

not sure how I could get lapped and still catch up later racing pretty much mindlessly to catch up to the whole pack to finish 8th

They didn't.

But they do deny rubberbanding when you're in front.

Anarion07

afaik they only said "AI cars can't go over the capacities the cars have", so THAT kind of rubberbanding is not present.

mocoworm

"Majority" of DriveClub owners can now connect online - Still no word on the PlayStation Plus version.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-20-majority-of-driveclub-owners-can-now-connect-online

The majority of DriveClub owners should now be able to connect their copy of the game online, developer Evolution Studios has said.

DriveClub's servers have been hampered by connection issues since the game's launch almost two weeks ago.

Many users have been left playing offline, only able to connect when another player leaves and frees up a server space.

"We're still improving server performance to get all of you enjoying full online connectivity together, but the majority of DriveClub players should now be able to connect and play online," a new message on the game's Facebook has reassured.

"More server updates and upgrades are coming online over the weekend, so while this work continues you may still experience some issues with connectivity but please keep trying."

Anyone who does connect will be able to race in multiplayer, compete in face-offs, play for their club and use club cars plus view online leaderboards.

Evolution concluded by promising it would continue to work until all players are connected. There was no new word on the game's free PlayStation Plus Edition, however - delayed indefinitely so server spaces are reserved for those who have bought the game's full version.

"We will continue to keep you informed as we make progress and we know we've said this before but we mean it: We know how frustrating it is when you can't get connected and we feel it too. We are working flat out to get online sign-in, multiplayer racing and leaderboards running smoothly for everyone, all of the time.

"We can't thank you enough for your messages of support and feedback during the past week, so please keep talking to us and sharing your thoughts about the game while you play."

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You have to play more with the throttle I think.
Don't press the gas button in full but press a bit easier so you maintain your grip.

And practice ofc. :)
Everytime I went from my current class to the next (f.e. Performance to Sports) I had to learn using those kind of cars first before I could beat the events.

Yes, this makes sense, I want to try harder at learning how to Drive I need to stop treating it like a Need For Speed

I just kept my finger on the gas button at all times some cars I go from a stop position to just tire spinouts, I know I am not playing this right. Its like I need driving lessons for each class so yeah I'll have to invest some time later to learn and practice too eager to go fast

Has anyone thought about collating a post of realistic improvements to pass on to Rushy?

Here's a few of mine:

1. Config "loadouts". Playing "pass-the-controller" is a bit of a ballache as I'm a Cross/Square/Manual/Bumper kind of guy and my bud is a R2/L2/Auto/External kind of guy. It's such a chore totally changing the config between go's.

2. Some kind of couch multiplayer mode. Set up events, etc, so there's some kind of tournament or something. Make "pass-the-controller" mean something.

3. Ditch the off-track penalties. They're killing the sense of fun. If necessary alter off-track areas to sap even more speed. Eurogamer summed it up best with their "Driveclub Police" comment.

That's it for now.

Nyx

Yes, this makes sense, I want to try harder at learning how to Drive I need to stop treating it like a Need For Speed

I just kept my finger on the gas button at all times some cars I go from a stop position to just tire spinouts, I know I am not playing this right. Its like I need driving lessons for each class so yeah I'll have to invest some time later to learn and practice too eager to go fast

Also don't compare yourself with a lot of the people in here, cause it seems many posters are racing gods.

Just take your time to learn the driving mechanics for every class. :)

So AI is not allowed to overtake you then is that how it works?

Of course not, at what point did I say that? :/ but when I get better drive out of a corner, go side by side and the underpowered car just pulls away there is clearly something up. It's something that is highlighted even more when you are both driving the same car.

Also don't compare yourself with a lot of the people in here, cause it seems many posters are racing gods.

Just take your time to learn the driving mechanics for every class. :)

well yeah, the racing community has some serious drivers, just saying I suck because it is the truth if I am denting every car so not even comparing myself to guys on here. I just love racing games but I don't even own a wheel so I am just enjoying parts of this game I can enjoy for now.

I do need to take my time and practice

they say servers are up for mostly everyone ha any of you guys gotten Driver Statistics to Load under DRIVER PROFILE?

I would love to see my progress it would help me set goals to keep playing

ok thanks, have any of you guys won races where you were very far ahead of the second place AI?

The difference is between the games AI adjusting dynamically throughout the race based on how well you are playing and rubberbanding, which is artificially speeding cars up beyond their ability.

The AI never drive perfectly because it would be virtually impossible for you to catch up with them, lets say they are typically are driving 70% as well as they possibly could (taking corners a little too cautiously, not carrying as much speed through sections as they can). When you are in last place this could be dialed down to 30% and when you are in the lead it can be turned up to 90%.
That isn't rubber banding, its just the AI driving slightly better or worse in order to keep you feeling like you are in a race. Rubber banding is specifically giving a car a higher top speed, or faster acceleration, than it should have.

Nyx

The difference is between the games AI adjusting dynamically throughout the race based on how well you are playing and rubberbanding, which is artificially speeding cars up beyond their ability.

The AI never drive perfectly because it would be virtually impossible for you to catch up with them, lets say they are typically are driving 70% as well as they possibly could (taking corners a little too cautiously, not carrying as much speed through sections as they can). When you are in last place this could be dialed down to 30% and when you are in the lead it can be turned up to 90%.
That isn't rubber banding, its just the AI driving slightly better or worse in order to keep you feeling like you are in a race. Rubber banding is specifically giving a car a higher top speed, or faster acceleration, than it should have.

Good explanation indeed, I also think this is the case.

thanks now I understand

"Majority" of DriveClub owners can now connect online - Still no word on the PlayStation Plus version.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-20-majority-of-driveclub-owners-can-now-connect-online

Every time I see them make these announcements, it just pisses me off more and more.

Even IF people were "online", that doesn't mean it's actually working properly. Sure I'm online. But having to trial and error 10 times before I can join a race, only to get booted at the beginning of the race means nothing.

Still can only choose from a revolving door of events that I don't care about. Still can't just join an endurance race (the only kind I like) when I want to. Still can't just setup a private race with friends.

Fix the game, then tell me about how online I am.

Thanks.

Moozo

I think that for some reason the AI get more benefit from drafting than you do. I'm not sure if it's intentional or a bug.

Auctopus

Possible bug: That little stammer after you pass the finish line? Harmless, right? I'm pretty sure the clock is still running through it

Tfault

Paul Rustchynsky comment on rubber banding

The AI cannot cheat, and will never artificially catch up to you! They will slow down a little though if you get to far behind.Some cars are faster than others, and the AI will look for an opportunity to overtake when the player names a mistake.

Not sure 'slow down a little' seems correct as they seem to slow down a 'lot'. Would agree with others that the AI should not slow down. You can always restart the race after falling to far behind if need be.

Loving the racing otherwise.

well yeah, the racing community has some serious drivers, just saying I suck because it is the truth if I am denting every car so not even comparing myself to guys on here. I just love racing games but I don't even own a wheel so I am just enjoying parts of this game I can enjoy for now.
I do need to take my time and practice
they say servers are up for mostly everyone ha any of you guys gotten Driver Statistics to Load under DRIVER PROFILE?
I would love to see my progress it would help me set goals to keep playing

Keep on practising and ignore the Driving Gods for now. My housemate who puts in MANY hours of Gran Tourismo just sat down and had the RUF Hyper Car nailed within 2 laps of the Scottish track. First time he'd ever sat down with the game.

Some people are just bloody good at driving whereas i have to fight for every improvement i make but i'm getting there and getting better :)

... and yes, i am having fun! Lots :)

NHale

There is definitely rubberbanding in this game especially when you are in the last position but it's nowhere as annoying/game breaking like Motorstorm: PR or teleporting cops in NFS: Hot Pursuit.

But you can cheat the AI using rubberband, because it's best to be 12th than 8th. In 12th everyone "stops" to wait for you, in 8th everyone still keeps racing at their best. So if you make a mistake and drop some places it's best to get to last...

In 1st I always notice that I can't create a decent gap immediately (still won a bunch of races with +3 second leads) but that's especially because of a side effect of being 1st and not knowing the car/tracks very well: not having a benchmark ahead of me, so I make more mistakes and end up messing exit speed out of corners which end up losing time during the next straight.

GoaThief

afaik they only said "AI cars can't go over the capacities the cars have", so THAT kind of rubberbanding is not present.
If that's the case I believe it's very careful wording, is it possible that the AI cars do not share the same base attributes as those shown on the car selection screen?

That would explain the Mono/Atom example I've experienced and yet not fall foul of their stretched definition of rubber band AI. No speed boosts, but the car has its own model that is different to the ones we use and has a higher top speed/acceleration/grip/etc.

kyser73

oh you guys need to post these things more often I love o grind these types of things when bored

love any exploits :D

There are obvious limits placed by skill in the game, but sometimes its worth thinking tactically about getting stars across a couple of races if you're struggling - focus on getting a hot lap, then the top three place if you're having issues with consistency, for example.

Just one more try!

Top Bottom