• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Putty

Not seen one instance of what I would call rubberband A.I. I love how the A.I keeps me on my toes for the duration, no breathers, but at no time have I felt it to be ...unfair.

Ideas I'd like implemented:

Ability to load/save ghost cars for TT/PTP events.
Best lap shown during a race.
Best Tour times/points stored locally. So if you redo a tour event, your best previous details are shown.
Ability to download other peoples Ghost cars.
Adjust gear ratios (I know we are not in sim territory but this would add a touch more customisation to proceedings, while adding a further sense of personalisation).
Ability to move HUD icons/map to wherever you want onscreen. I don't like the map on the left for example.
More sound options. I'd love the A.I cars to be more prominent.
Though I've not played online, no collisions as as option would be well received based on people's feedback.
Removal of the 3 second timer. I've had ia reset once or twice thus to me, is pretty meaningless, but the timer still kicks in. It's not as bad as previously thought before the game came out. Maybe have a reset button that you call on, but your speed would then start pretty slowish to avoid misuse.
As far as new content goes, I'd like to see one on one events, last to first events, some endurance events (not finished tour mode yet so not sure if any exist).

Every time I see them make these announcements, it just pisses me off more and more.

Even IF people were "online", that doesn't mean it's actually working properly. Sure I'm online. But having to trial and error 10 times before I can join a race, only to get booted at the beginning of the race means nothing.

Still can only choose from a revolving door of events that I don't care about. Still can't just join an endurance race (the only kind I like) when I want to. Still can't just setup a private race with friends.

Fix the game, then tell me about how online I am.

Thanks.
hey it's a step-up, being able to join club, create clubs and see face-offs is better than nothing , let them talk about what they managed to make it work. Heck they even acknowledge their current issues , so it's not like they are standing still and doing nothing.

Or would you rather they don't talk at all and you grieve when you can't do everything at all ?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This game is too fun and too good to be having such awful online problems. I need to be able to race offline. Despite Rushy&crew promising us online but I still haven't been able to get a single race going. I need this. The events are keeping me busy. Still haven't mastered the faster cars. Lots of fun to do still.

Topi

Banned
Just got to driver level 46 and used up my wonderful pre-order bonus, it's going to take a while to get to 50. Thankfully some juicy accolades are going to unlock soon. I even love the grinding in this game, I just hope the face-offs worked more reliably.

Of course not, at what point did I say that? :/ but when I get better drive out of a corner, go side by side and the underpowered car just pulls away there is clearly something up. It's something that is highlighted even more when you are both driving the same car.
No, its just when you moan about rubberbanding and only offer up 'the AI blew past me on a straight' as evidence, you make it sound as if they are not meant to be overtaking you.

Kiraly

Still can't play a single game online, fucking hell Evolution

Holy fuck I'm livid

FAILED TO JOIN THE GAME OFCOURSE IT DID

AN ERROR OCCURED DURING MATCHMAKING

Garryk

I'm having trouble getting even the 2nd star on RUF Ride. I'm currently getting done around 3:27 and it's pretty clean so I'm guessing I need to pick better lines or not brake through some of the turns. It's a long track, but does anyone have tips/strategies?

kriskrosbbk

So when can we expect any items from the Season pass?November?
Also can anyone explain me why here it is written 176 new Tour events :

15012015800_59e678b7db_b.jpg

Meanwhile in the description of the season pass on the store - 6 Tour events.
Quite a discrepancy?

MrWisker

No they weren't drafting because they were in the other lane and I had the fastest car in the hot hatch series and the ai were in slower cars and some how I look past and two of them blow past me.

I have seen this happen to me all of the time. I can be in 5th or 6th in a race in a long straight stretch and at the beginning unable to see any of the cars behind me (hence no drafting). All of a sudden I see a car or two in my rear-view speeding like a bat out of hell. Within seconds they pass me and then slow down just enough to make it appear they are going my speed. If that is not rubberbanding then I do not know what is, but it is frustrating to say the least.

Also pissed off at the losing of points when AI cars crash into me from behind.

I've finally been able to play muilti-player this weekend, but still with lots of issues with the lobbys. It seems it's going to take a while until everything works.

Also, I'm not having a lot of fun while online. Most races remind me more of Destruction Derby or NFS: Most Wanted. There's very little punishment for crashes imho. It so easy to make another car crash/spin that there might as well be a "Takedown" system...

pop_tarts

Not seen one instance of what I would call rubberband A.I. I love how the A.I keeps me on my toes for the duration, no breathers, but at no time have I felt it to be ...unfair.

Best Tour times/points stored locally. So if you redo a tour event, your best previous details are shown.
Adjust gear ratios (I know we are not in sim territory but this would add a touch more customisation to proceedings, while adding a further sense of personalisation).
Ability to move HUD icons/map to wherever you want onscreen. I don't like the map on the left for example.
Though I've not played online, no collisions as as option would be well received based on people's feedback.
Removal of the 3 second timer. I've had ia reset once or twice thus to me, is pretty meaningless, but the timer still kicks in. It's not as bad as previously thought before the game came out. Maybe have a reset button that you call on, but your speed would then start pretty slowish to avoid misuse.
As far as new content goes, I'd like to see one on one events, last to first events, some endurance events (not finished tour mode yet so not sure if any exist).

Excellent read and great points. I agree with most of your points. As far as the A.I. goes I have seen rubber banding. I once let the A.I. get in front of me so I could do the "run a clean race" as well as get the cornering challenge done and then ended up winning the race of a 3 lap race.

More over, the A.I.'s drafting is far more effective than ours as they zip more faster coming out of the draft than we do. You see it a lot especially when you're in the SAME car.

pop_tarts

I'm having trouble getting even the 2nd star on RUF Ride. I'm currently getting done around 3:27 and it's pretty clean so I'm guessing I need to pick better lines or not brake through some of the turns. It's a long track, but does anyone have tips/strategies?

What cars are available for this event? I forgot which car I used but that wasn't as hard as the Hennessey Hot Lap challenge...I lap that thing at least 200 times before actually getting it.

Excellent read and great points. I agree with most of your points. As far as the A.I. goes I have seen rubber banding. I once let the A.I. get in front of me so I could do the "run a clean race" as well as get the cornering challenge done and then ended up winning the race of a 3 lap race.

More over, the A.I.'s drafting is far more effective than ours as they zip more faster coming out of the draft than we do. You see it a lot especially when you're in the SAME car.
The way the developer explained it: no car can go faster than its max speed. Hence no rubber banding. If you're in a Ferrari and your top speed is 175mph, the AI in the same car can only go as fast as that too.

However, in the early races the AI will slow down in order to give u a chance to catch up. But that's not the definition of rubber banding. And that definitely doesn't happen as much in the harder difficulties.

VanWinkle

Just raced for the first time with face-offs. It was really cool. Really dynamic and fun way of making a race more than just a race.

Putty

Just tried the game with my new TV! WOW! I bought a Samsung UE32H6400. The game with all the motion flow options enabled on the TV give it an unbelievable 60fps appearance, more so because the game doesn't dip below 30fps. Usually you get some artefacts from using such TV features but I can honestly say...I can't see anything! It's THAT good! I'd have to say this is by far the best TV I've ever seen. Having seen the game like this, "real 60fps" would of been truly remarkable! But I'm happy I've got perfect "fake" 60fps. 8)

Rented the game Thursday night and played when I could all weekend. I got 175ish stars. Fkn venom hotlap took me like 4 hours, but I got 1'15.750 or so. Legend cup is done too, I just need to finish the last chunk of events.

This game is a very interesting mix of sim/arcade. The super and hyper cars handle pretty realistically, but the overall handling and behavior is still firmly in arcade land. If Im doing 150 mph in Gran Turismo and I touch some grass, the car spins out, but not in DC, you just keep going. So for anyone that hasn't played yet, its fairly sim-ish for car handling, but very arcady for game mechanics, well except for corner and collision penalties.

edit: Just for reference, I consider myself a pretty good racer. I prefer no driving assists, including the driving line (barf), and a wheel. Ive spent 100s of hours in the GT series. Other than the Venom hotlap, this game is pretty easy.

The AI was a bit aggravating to me. I can easily get into 1st on the first lap of most races, but as soon as I do, the whole pack is on my ass like glue. I guess its just the inconsistency I don't like, but I didn't ever feel the AI did something that they should be able to do. If I got passed, its because I took a poor line or was just driving like Ray Charles. For those saying the AI was unfair, or that they just get blown past, I think its your driving. I never once felt the AI was "cheating". Just gotta drive better.

Hopefully challenges/online get fixed soonish. Id like to rent it again to get the platinum. Im alrady at 56%. Or, hopefully, the ps+ version will use the same save profile so I wont have to redo everything.

Chabbles

I couldn't stop playing this lastnight, its one of these "one more and then turn it off", hours later and still going.

How did this not ship with replay mode though (and photo mode) ?, its crazy, an extra year development and basic stuff like this still missing, what was released is like a Beta in many ways... at least the racings fun, alot of fun.

fallingdove

Just tried the game with my new TV! WOW! I bought a Samsung UE32H6400. The game with all the motion flow options enabled on the TV give it an unbelievable 60fps appearance, more so because the game doesn't dip below 30fps. Usually you get some artefacts from using such TV features but I can honestly say...I can't see anything! It's THAT good! I'd have to say this is by far the best TV I've ever seen. Having seen the game like this, "real 60fps" would of been truly remarkable! But I'm happy I've got perfect "fake" 60fps. 8)

Yeah - motionflow is great. And I don't really notice the TV lag due to interpolation either.

I really need to play this game! Come on PS+ version - hurry up.

The way the developer explained it: no car can go faster than its max speed. Hence no rubber banding. If you're in a Ferrari and your top speed is 175mph, the AI in the same car can only go as fast as that too.

However, in the early races the AI will slow down in order to give u a chance to catch up. But that's not the definition of rubber banding. And that definitely doesn't happen as much in the harder difficulties.

you almost never reach the absolute top speed because it takes a looooong straight to get there, AI can get to the max speed of their car unnaturally fast from what I've seen and heard.

Do an ultra slow lap (like finish a minute behind the last AI driver), check the fastest and slowest AI-laps, then do the same track driving like the devil is chasing you, write down the AI-lap times again. Compare them. That's how you find out about rubberbanding.

Quite a discrepancy?

2 tour packs drop per month, looks like about 11 tour events average per drop.

you almost never reach the absolute top speed because it takes a looooong straight to get there, AI can get to the max speed of their car unnaturally fast from what I've seen and heard.

Do an ultra slow lap (like finish a minute behind the last AI driver), check the fastest and slowest AI-laps, then do the same track driving like the devil is chasing you, write down the AI-lap times again. Compare them. That's how you find out about rubberbanding.

No that's just the AI adjusting it's intensity, rubberbanding is cheating. As mentioned they do not break the rules of their cars, if they go slower that's possible, but they will not suddenly rocket off at 50MPH faster than the top speed in an attempt to catch you up.

bombshell

Quite a discrepancy?

The content starts in November, as it says in the circle on the right.

The 176 tour events will come in tour packs, 2 each month. So it's actually 16 tour packs, the store description is wrong.

Hugstable

Banned

I love all these suggestions and are all things that could make the game even better. Also another thing I would try doing for online is ways to have private games with friends so it's just you and a buddy and you don't have to worry about other randoms.

The 176 tour events will come in tour packs, 2 each month. So it's actually 16 tour packs, the store description is wrong.

Like that they are doing this year round since Racing games tend to be games I always come back to alot since it's so easy to just pick up and play. I think back when GT4 came out, I played that game for almost 2 years straight since I would only play a bit each day. Racing games like this are addictive and don't take long at all just to enjoy a couple races, and with 16 new Tour events that is pretty decent. What would be considered the Tour event though? Is that just the single race or the whole block with the 5 races or so?

What EVERYBODY is missing here though, is that doesn't mean the AI can't get unrealistic good traction and acceleration out of the previous corner exit, meaning that they get closer to that top speed way before your car does.

Which is exactly what is happening.

The AI all of a sudden is the master of braking, apex holding and exiting corners at full throttle to the point where they can approach ANY skill level of player as if they have unlimited KERS. IF anything, I'd say that's exactly what it is. The AI has a hidden KERS button which allows it to get massive acceleration out of corners that IMO is not possible for players to get.

Regardless of what the so called definition of rubber banding is, this method still essentially means that the cars end up somehow going inexplicably faster than you on a straight, which is precisely the thing people don't like about rubber banding......

CozMick

Banned

Looks to me like we're due a new track in October for free, we already had the free car for this month.

No that's just the AI adjusting it's intensity, rubberbanding is cheating. As mentioned they do not break the rules of their cars, if they go slower that's possible, but they will not suddenly rocket off at 50MPH faster than the top speed in an attempt to catch you up.

If that's true then I want a term for the annoying phenomenon of me driving a super poor crashy lap and still being able to catch up to 2nd or 1st place and in other races driving the laps of my life while, getting a big gap behind me to the driver in 2nd place and at the end being overtaken right before the finish line.

You see that AI behavior in a lot of racing games. If that is not called rubberbanding as long as cars don't break their specs (which in my opinion they do in DC, but let's forget about that for a moment) then I want another term for that behavior so I can call it out.

DrDamn

AI slowing down because you are slow isn't really rubber banding - at least in a problematic way - it's just making the game more interesting and less frustrating for the less able players - it doesn't impact your game if you are a better player. Everyone gets a challenge and no one gets an unfair advantage for lap time comparison because the player isn't boosted, just the AI is restricted.

I don't think anyone has provided definitive proof that the AI is *boosted* when behind you - at least not past the limits of the car and the difficulty settings of the race. A car passing you on the straight - even in the same or worse car can be for a number of reasons. Drafting, getting a better exit line on the last corner or simply more effective gear changes.

bombshell

Like that they are doing this year round since Racing games tend to be games I always come back to alot since it's so easy to just pick up and play. I think back when GT4 came out, I played that game for almost 2 years straight since I would only play a bit each day. Racing games like this are addictive and don't take long at all just to enjoy a couple races, and with 16 new Tour events that is pretty decent. What would be considered the Tour event though? Is that just the single race or the whole block with the 5 races or so?

176/16 = 11 events per pack.

Coincidentally the current tours in the game (Rookie, Amateur etc.) each have 11 or 10 events.

So it seems 1 tour pack will be similar content wise as the tours we have in the game now.

bombshell

I thought the new tracks were from a whole new location that they have been working on?

We will get a whole new location, but some of the free tracks will also be in the existing locations. Speculation is 1 in each of the existing countries and the remaining 6 in a new location so each will end up with 6 unique tracks. This is only speculation, not confirmed.

We will get a whole new location, but some of the free tracks will also be in the existing locations. Speculation is 1 in each of the existing countries and the remaining 6 in a new location so each will end up with 6 unique tracks. This is only speculation, not confirmed.

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up :)

Dawg

Any advice on what car to use on the Pro Trophy?

I actually got the Professional trophy before the Pro Trophy. I felt it was easier. BAC Mono was great.

My problem with the Pro Trophy is that my fastest unlocked car is the Bentley and the racer with the RUF car is simply faster than me. I'm not rank 32 yet so I can't use the RUF myself.

Top Bottom