• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

benzy

@The_Monk

It's not betweens simulation and arcade - it's pure arcade. If arcade games are your thing you'll be fine.

It's not pure arcade at all. If anyone tries playing this like ridge racer or outrun you will fail.

I was reading some review from Driveclub, something which I rarely do and something that caught my attention was they mentioning how harsh the game can be also stating that "it does not reward casual players". Can anyone point some posts or provide their own insight regarding the difficulty? I ask this because, while I simply love the genre I'm also far from the best.

To give a general idea I'm playing Autosport (played a bit of the first one, finished the second) currently (will get Driveclub this month) and I'm a fan of FORZA4, Horizon (the first one, since I do not own a XB1) Dirt 2, 3 and I'm also waiting for Project Cars, coming next year. I understand that this game is something between a simulation and a arcade but can you get "stuck" giving no way to advance through the Tour or unlocking more cars/tracks/advancing in the game? I'm willing to learn but I fear the game can be far too demanding for someone who is not a professional in the game and will get eventually "stuck" until I can clear said race/event to move on.

Thanks in advance my good people!

I don't think you'll get stuck. Even if there are certain races that are difficult for you in the tour mode, you can actually skip those as long as you have enough stars to unlock the next event. You get fame points to unlock cars in the single player time trial/races/multiplayer so unlocking cars isn't tied to just the tour mode. You can actually just grind and redo certain races to get more accolades which will in turn give more fame points.

chippy13

If you like Gran Turismo, I actually think you will enjoy this game. I've yet to meet someone who didn't.

And the game does have dynamic difficulty, which is similar to rubber banding (but the games that annoy people that have this, generally give the AI cars speed and power modifiers rather than let the AI just drive better). If I drive well, the AI won't pass me in a similar car, which is the most important part for me - they hold back if you struggle, but there too are limits. I think it's actually well done.

Thanks, that helps. Really missing having a good next gen racer to mess around with.

It's not pure arcade at all. If anyone tries playing this like ridge racer or outrun you will fail.

It's definitely somewhere in-between. And I love it.

DriveClub raised the bar for racing atmosphere/sense of location/track designs. I have a hard time believing Gran Turismo will top it in this regard, but I hope that all future racing games take some notes from it.

p3tran

Banned
I'm actually surprised he hasn't said this yet. Almost impressed.
probably he is smarter than you think he is. (not THAT smart though, as he only replied after your comment ;) )

I haven't played enough to be 100% certain if theres rubberbanding or not. But last night i crashed and spun out near the end of a race, and something felt off when i caught up and passed everyone on the last corner, didn't seem possible/realistic.

well, according to putty&co, what you experienced, DEFINITELY IS NOT RUBBER BANDING!
ok my friend? find a name for it. call it "totally realistic northern lights distraction of AI drivers" when you lag behind them, or something.
just NOT RUBBER BANDING!!!

When a car of the same speed as you is drafting behind you they will gain extra speed and be able to sling past you. Are people confusing this with rubberbanding?

dwr budr

Banned
awesome game, brilliant but when are challenges going to be available and they really need to sort out the disconnects from lobbies when in a party, I minute 4 of you are waiting in a lobby for it to sync, a minute later three have been kicked out and 1 is picking a car, it's shit.

DriveClub raised the bar for racing atmosphere/sense of location/track designs. I have a hard time believing Gran Turismo will top it in this regard, but I hope that all future racing games take some notes from it.
This cannot be stated enough. And its one of the reasons i keep coming back for more.

I understand when some people buy a racing game, they want to drive on some of their favorite, real courses from around the world, but often those courses are very same-y and look kind of bland. Give me a racing game where I'm driving on a country road, with amazing vistas and environments, trees, mountains, and tunnels, and I'm a happy guy. DC has that stuff in spades.

Synth

Just curious, which do you consider rubber banding?

1. AI driving under 100% while youre not in the lead, but driving at 100% when you are in the lead
2. AI going over 100% of the cars ability, like higher top speed than rated.

The AI in this game seems like it tries to keep you in the game at all times so its not boring. If you drive like a granny, so will the AI. If you drive like a pro, so does the AI. I don't know if that is considered rubber banding or not. To me, it is not. I haven't had my doors blown off on a strait by AI in the same car unless I messed up. I consistently win races by 1-2 seconds, and that using a controller. If I had a wheel, things would be much better.

Also, learn to block! Sure, a car is going to catch you in your draft, so what. Block it and keep it from going around. If you miss the block, then steer into while its next to you. This isn't real life, use your car as a weapon!

Well to me rubberbanding is simply what the name implies. That the game is designed to keep you close your competition despite the player's varying level of ability. So, if you are performing badly, the computer either slows down (or you speed up), and if you are performing well the computer speeds up (or you slow down). I don't really make any distinction on how this is achieved. So if it's done by making the computer cars faster, or simply by turning the drivers into world class time trialists, if the result is that they do lap 3 in 1:15 instead of 1:30 then the effect is the same.

Now of course if I happened to be good enough to consistently post 1:15 (let's assume that's the kind of time a flawless run would produce), then I may not notice DC's implementation as much. They would simply seem consistently difficult.. but this won't be the case for many people playing the game at all.

When a car of the same speed as you is drafting behind you they will gain extra speed and be able to sling past you. Are people confusing this with rubberbanding?

No, because it works in reverse, when I know damn well I'm not drafting.

Hugstable

Banned
Rubber_Band.jpg

le-seb

Once again, nobody here denies that the player's helped to do some catching up.
What a bunch of people contest, though, and that you affirmed earlier without bringing proof of your sayings, is that the AI can be given an unfair advantage.

So, unless you're decided to bring us this proof, please stop trolling.

Nafai1123

Banned
Well to me rubberbanding is simply what the name implies. That the game is designed to keep you close your competition despite the player's varying level of ability. So, if you are performing badly, the computer either slows down (or you speed up), and if you are performing well the computer speeds up (or you slow down). I don't really make any distinction on how this is achieved. So if it's done by making the computer cars faster, or simply by turning the drivers into world class time trialists, if the result is that they do lap 3 in 1:15 instead of 1:30 then the effect is the same.

Now of course if I happened to be good enough to consistently post 1:15 (let's assume that's the kind of time a flawless run would produce),
then I may not notice DC's implementation as much. They would simply seem consistently difficult.. but this won't be the case for many people playing the game at all.

No, because it works in reverse, when I know damn well I'm not drafting.

But the thing is the AI will never run a "perfect" lap. A human player is always capable of running a lap faster than the AI. Whether you do or not is based on your skill level. If I was to run a 1:15 consistently, the AI wouldn't be able to keep up and would in fact fall behind quite a lot by the end of the race.

Synth

But the thing is the AI will never run a "perfect" lap. A human player is always capable of running a lap faster than the AI. Whether you do or not is based on your skill level. If I was to run a 1:15 consistently, the AI wouldn't be able to keep up and would in fact fall behind quite a lot by the end of the race.

Hmm yea, probably true. I'm just not good enough to know where the upper boundary is. :p

I just beat the 2nd place by 10 seconds, 3 lap race. My 2nd lap lead was 6.7 seconds. #rubberbanding

We can't all be Bunta.

baconcow

It is completely possible that the AI only rubberbands when they are within a reasonable distance of the human player. Has this been considered?

OR there is rubber banding, which really is the case here.

come on guys... deal with reality. this is not looking handsome for any of you.

There is a share button bro. If you have proof there is rubber banding then put up. If not then GTFO. Rushy already said there is NO rubber banding in the AI and people have the game. I've played the game since launch and not once did I feel the AI having rubber banding. The only thing that sucks sometimes is when they hit you from behind.

viveks86

well, according to putty&co, what you experienced, DEFINITELY IS NOT RUBBER BANDING!
ok my friend? find a name for it. call it "totally realistic northern lights distraction of AI drivers" when you lag behind them, or something.

Ok now you are just being bitter. This is entirely counter productive. Might be better to just scream at "putty and co" over PMs so that the rest of us can continue being civil.

By the way, I am 90% certain the them slowing down if you're too far behind differs depending on your difficulty level.

I've been going for the wins and overtakes accolades, so been rocking the Rookie setting to make life easier. In this I can visibly see the AI is not going as fast as would be expected, and I can see it decelerate if I cocked up and have ended up far behind.

However, if I go slap it on to Legend. This does not happen at all. They still slow, but no where near as much, and if you're playing with many opponents it can often create two packs, one sympathetic to you and one that gives zero fucks that you're never going to catch.

T_Exige

After doing the Semi-pro trophy 20+ times I noticed that sometimes the AI is acting strange in a funny way.

This Alfie Sanders guy in his RUF has moments of epic driving. The better and more perfect you drive your laps, the better this guy gets.

Lap 1 is getting to the front of the pack, just behind the RUF.
Lap 2 is getting to first and create a gap of around 5-6 seconds.
Lap 3 Alfie goes on steroids and closes the gap to 1-2 seconds or even wins.

When Alfie has an off-day, the guy in the Vanquish starts to run crazy and is more aggressive.

Putty

probably he is smarter than you think he is. (not THAT smart though, as he only replied after your comment ;) )

I apologised days ago. But hey, please continue with the high 5's.

viveks86

It is completely possible that the AI only rubberbands when they are within a reasonable distance of the human player. Has this been considered?

They definitely get more aggressive within reasonable distance. But I've won enough close finishes where the AI remained close for a long duration but could never get past because I didn't make any significant mistakes and didn't allow them to draft, even at legend difficulty. Obviously this is the case only when I had a powerful car. There are other times when I get absolutely slaughtered on straights, especially the last one, if I had a weaker car *cough… Mono.. cough*. It's still possible to win with an exceptionally good lead, but hey, I'm not an exceptional racer.

Drafting has a HUGE effect on cars in the game. I can shave several seconds of my lap time just by driving behind another car. This was most apparent while racing with the Atom on the 2nd race of the Norwegian challenge. Unless you made absolutely flawless cornering, there is no way to hit max speed without drafting on that long stretch after the bends at the start. Is this realistic? I don't know, and frankly, I don't care. But I digress…

After doing the Semi-pro trophy 20+ times I noticed that sometimes the AI is acting strange in a funny way.

This Alfie Sanders guy in his RUF has moments of epic driving. The better and more perfect you drive your laps, the better this guy gets.

Lap 1 is getting to the front of the pack, just behind the RUF.
Lap 2 is getting to first and create a gap of around 5-6 seconds.
Lap 3 Alfie goes on steroids and closes the gap to 1-2 seconds or even wins.

When Alfie has an off-day, the guy in the Vanquish starts to run crazy and is more aggressive.

Haha. Nice observation. There's a lot of nuanced behavior that is worth analyzing. A good example is the start of every race. Just do the first major corner a dozen times and you'd notice it's never quite the same. Someone slows down, someone overtakes, someone wipes out. And it all happens with you still behind the pack and not influencing it in anyway.

Varvor

This games AI is my only concern...

I dread any and every instance where i am to race with AI opponents, the odd thing is that i dont mind this whole drafting/rubberbending..... What i hate is how much of a pushy assholes AI cars are!

If i happened to get in the same or intended path of a car (AI), it will proceed to bump me and push at me...whoch leads to loosing control and crushing.

Its like AI is not aware of me and does not have self preservation in mind. And inreally really hate this.

woman-biting-wheel.jpg

What the fuck kind of drive club sportsmanship is this?

Bond007

Any tips for drifting in this game? Almost embarrassed to ask because I'm am probably above average in most games that require me to drift. Enjoy doing it!
But i can't for the life of me get consistent drifts in this game...cars just feel too tight/grippy.

Heroman

Banned

I dread any and every instance where i am to race with AI opponents, the odd thing is that i dont mind this whole drafting/rubberbending..... What i hate is how much of a pushy assholes AI cars are!

If i happened to get in the same or intended path of a car (AI), it will proceed to bump me and push at me...whoch leads to loosing control and crushing.

Its like AI is not aware of me and does not have self preservation in mind. And inreally really hate this.

woman-biting-wheel.jpg

They are just getting you ready for mutiplayer.

viveks86

Any tips for drifting in this game? Almost embarrassed to ask because I'm am probably above average in most games that require me to drift. Enjoy doing it!
But i can't for the life of me get consistent drifts in this game...cars just feel too tight/grippy.

Posted this a while ago. Let me know if it helps :)

• Reach drifting line somewhere around the center, at medium-full throttle
  • Do NOT go in at full throttle. Your car would then have too much momentum and you are very likely to drift out of bounds
  • Let go of throttle, hit hand brake and turn sharply towards direction of the turn. This will start the drift. Release hand brake around 0.5 seconds. Depending on your car and sharpness of turn, you need to adapt a little
  • Before your car becomes perpendicular to the track, turn sharply in the opposite direction and throttle lightly to keep the momentum and prevent the car from spinning out. Your drift score will go up fast only if you maintain throttle
  • Try to center the car before the end of the drift, so that you have enough speed for the speed zone. Sometimes, you end up with a great drift, but you are not in line for the next zone, which is as important for your overall score
  • As you keep practicing, you will end up playing by ear as you get a feel of how the car responds to these instrucitons. But this should be a good start
  • I'm no expert at this, but this has worked well for me

This isn't true at all. It is not like Burnout or Ridge Racer. It is definitely between a racer and a sim.
Gotta agree with this. You'll actually need to use your brakes and drifting will seem to scrub too much speed against someone properly taking the corner.

It *feels* like a bestial layer wrapping a sim model, even though for all I know its the opposite under the hood.

viveks86

woman-biting-wheel.jpg

This at least is a real issue. The AI don't have a tangible sense of self preservation. Which is fine in this type of a racer, if not for unfair collision penalties that can potentially kill your chance of recovering. If they fix how collision penalties work in order to address those occasional issues, people would complain far less about bumpy suicidal AI.

finally got that damn venom hotlap, maxed out the Accolade on this event alone lol

pretty good time at 1:15.444 too I think, not touching this again anytime soon ;D

Nafai1123

Banned
The points system is too biased towards drifting. I can run super fast clean laps over and over again and get as many points as one or two drift turns would net me.

I would like to see some sort of fast driving multiplier put into the game. Clean cornering, hitting apexes etc would start to build a multiplier and you would get points on each turn. I should be able to get 8-10k points per lap for driving fast/clean.

Top Bottom