• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

benzy

To all of the guys above: well, I love music in my games, I love music even more in racing games, and I pretty much need it in arcade-y racing games. In fact, the first thing I usually do in games is turning up the music volume and turning down the rest of the effects (given that the music is good and greatly complements the experience, of course). As I said, just my opinion.

If that's really the first thing you do, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal having to turn up the music in DC's settings would it? :p

Has anyone been having problems seeing their clubs ranking the last few days? I have been able to race fine and have seen improvements on just about everything but the club rankings are not showing. I'm curious where we are sitting.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I gotta say, even though I'm not gonna throw a hissy fit and go selling the game as some kind of demonstration, I'm getting pretty sick of not even being able to size up a leaderboard before a track even loads. It used to be so snappy, considering how short load times are, showing you what the top times for this particular track with this particular vehicle class.

That plus no face offs or random ghosts to chase around the track... Fuck. It's a whole other game without it.

Hoje0308

Banned
In regards to rubberbanding, I think the AI will travel at less than its absolute potential if you're going exceptionally slow, but will ramp up its speed until it reaches peak performance as you cut your way through the pack and then attempt to build a lead. However, I haven't seen anything to indicate the AI can do anything more than 100%. If I'm doing consistent laps I have no problem building a lead, but if I screw up and lose something like 3/10s in a corner, that time is reflected in the position of the AI. The thing that throws people off I think is the exaggerated drafting ability and the stark contrast between different vehicles where acceleration, top speed, braking ability, and not just grip, but the balance of that grip (i.e., understeer, oversteer, or neutral) are concerned. People tend to forget that high entry speeds plus drifting are not usually conducive to a quick exit. Even though the cars have an enormous amount of grip compared to what you would find in real life, you still have to abide by some of the rules of spirited driving (out-in-out, entry speed vs. exit, early and late apex style, etc.) to get the most of out your vehicle's performance. From what I've seen online and in videos, a lot of people are messy and not quite as capable as they seem to think they are. The best piece of advice I can offer is to record your races and time trials and then watch them later with a critical eye. You'd be amazed at how many errors you can spot in what seemed like the perfect lap in the heat of the moment.

I gotta say, even though I'm not gonna throw a hissy fit and go selling the game as some kind of demonstration, I'm getting pretty sick of not even being able to size up a leaderboard before a track even loads. It used to be so snappy, considering how short load times are, showing you what the top times for this particular track with this particular vehicle class.

That plus no face offs or random ghosts to chase around the track... Fuck. It's a whole other game without it.

It seems like certain features are either slow to load or are out for lunch on certain days. I just chalk it up to diagnostic troubleshooting and go about my day. It's annoying (especially since the game feels so much more alive with everything working), but at this point there's nothing I can do short of calling Sony and asking for a refund. As I'm hopelessly addicted to the driving and track design, that just isn't a realistic option for me.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Great, I just made a WR lap on Cayoosh and it didn't even register. Cool...

EDIT: The 70,000 score I mentioned earlier came from leveling an accolade. It just got 93k for leveling performance racer and since I was disconnected it didn't go towards my club.

i_max

Neo Member

EDIT: The 70,000 score I mentioned earlier came from leveling an accolade. It just got 93k for leveling performance racer and since I was disconnected it didn't go towards my club.

Happened to me day before yesterday, did a top 100 time in a time trail :( (makes me think the game suggesting - get some more consistency before I record it)

Jamesways

Even though you're offline it should sync up when you do connect and update the club's points.

Seems the leaderboards work for me when I post an awful time, when it's a run I'm actually proud of, doesn't register. That is a bummer.

I hope all this is sorted out soon. The faceoffs were very scarce last night too.

Edit- Nothing on Fb today Nullpointer. Shame.

BiGBoSSMk23

Has Evo given a new update or ETA on anything?

I'm not really following it anymore. I'm just patiently waiting/hoping for everything getting sorted out. I'm not in a rush to skip to another racer, either. I'm not much of a racing fan myself. I just really dig Evo's style and enthusiasm.

I just saw my time with an Exige S was only 9 seconds behind a Huayra. Obamanotbad.jpeg.

cackhyena

I was so pumped to try this game out. From everything I had seen so far, it seemed like the plus version would have to really turn me off for me to not just buy it outright soon after. Can't believe how long this is taking.

BiGBoSSMk23

I don't know how reliable this is but...
kLs8Q3i.jpg

Also, if anyone wants a club to race in, shoot AG SYSTEMS a request. Right now it's just me and AspiringYouth contributing. I asked my GF to join so I could activate the club but she's just there for show. lol

Pretty good, I have tried a few times, and I have felt no delay at all, the only annoying thing, and this is not just with Driveclub, but with Remote play in general is, as soon as you hit the power button to put the vita in stand by, the wifi connection is dropped, which drops remote play, to resume it takes the same time as it takes to connect the first time, I wish they had a timer such that wifi only dropped after a minute or so.
Thanks. Remote play just keeps on winning. Great for racing games because they bore my wife and we have only one TV in our house!

Rey

I think there's a bug with the split times. Sometimes it shows and in the next lap it doesn't. Does it have anything to do with connectivity?

viveks86

I think there's a bug with the split times. Sometime's it shows and in the next lap it doesn't. Does it have anything to do with connectivity?

I believe so. Signing out of PSN makes everything work properly. You don't see the online stuff (obviously), but all the basics work without a hitch. When online, it tries to communicate with the servers to fetch the appropriate ghost/face off etc, which makes everything inconsistent.

When doing time trials, I sign out, so that I can race my own ghost without having to wait.

Rey

I believe so. Signing out of PSN makes everything work properly. You don't see the online stuff (obviously), but all the basics work without a hitch. When online, it tries to communicate with the servers to fetch the appropriate ghost/face off etc, which makes everything inconsistent.

When doing time trials, I sign out, so that I can race my own ghost without having to wait.

Aha ok, I'll try that out.. Thanks.

This game man this game. I frikking love it but aarrrg just got kicked out of multiplayer in first place in the last lap. This game will really test ur will to keep on playing it. Even with all these problems I can't let this game go.

viveks86

So at least several more days of updates and still no ETA on final fixes or the PS+ edition.

That update makes me think we have a while to go yet.

This is getting pretty absurd. I wonder if we'll hit 3-4 weeks of server issues and a PS Plus version delay now.

Yeah it seemed pretty obvious from their last update that we are at least a week away, if not more. It's a heck of a rough launch for sure.

This game man this game. I frikking love it but aarrrg just got kicked out of multiplayer in first place in the last lap. This game will really test ur will to keep on playing it. Even with all these problems I can't let this game go.

Yeah I'm not bothering with MP till it's rock solid. Even after, I'd probably not take too much interest until they have private lobbies. Until then I'm sticking to accolades and async stuff.

Just replaying to say I've joined the 225/225 club. The last star to get? Obviously the Hennessy Hot Lap. I kinda wish a lot more of the challenges were at that difficulty level, reminds me of PGR2 platinum medals.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Wooh, just took the #1 spot at Oliver's Landing - Canada on the leader board. The guy who was #1 used a cheap tactic of bouncing off a wall, so I took his cheapness and did it better, lol.

The_Monk

I don't think you'll get stuck. Even if there are certain races that are difficult for you in the tour mode, you can actually skip those as long as you have enough stars to unlock the next event. You get fame points to unlock cars in the single player time trial/races/multiplayer so unlocking cars isn't tied to just the tour mode. You can actually just grind and redo certain races to get more accolades which will in turn give more fame points.

Just arrived home, so I'm a bit late in this, but thank you for also answering my questions and concerns! :)

Wooh, just took the #1 spot at Oliver's Landing - Canada on the leader board. The guy who was #1 used a cheap tactic of bouncing off a wall, so I took his cheapness and did it better, lol.
I do wish hitting the walls and collisions actually hurt your speed more than they do, and that the AI didn't slow down as much as they do when you mess up (though that may not happen in higher difficulties).

But then I wonder, even if Evo did tweak the model a bit, wouldn't that invalidate the existing leaderboard scores? Is Evo painted in a corner by those player times (once everything works) or do people think they'll be able to tweak penalties and scoring over time without wiping those scores somehow?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I do wish hitting the walls and collisions actually hurt your speed more than they do, and that the AI didn't slow down as much as they do when you mess up (though that may not happen in higher difficulties).

But then I wonder, even if Evo did tweak the model a bit, wouldn't that invalidate the existing leaderboard scores? Is Evo painted in a corner by those player times (once everything works) or do people think they'll be able to tweak penalties and scoring over time without wiping those scores somehow?

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind if they just wiped them, to be honest. I'm sure a lot of people would be pissed, though.

Yup :(

I did notice that our individual ranks have dropped quite drastically in the past few days.
Ya, I need to get my act together. I spend so much time trying to beat my times in time trial and barely get any fame points for it. I have to start going after accolades and doing more races.

NeoRausch

What the hell are they talking about with most people being able to connect? I have yet to connect to the servers even once in the last 3 days. For the first week, I was very patient and calm, but now that tomorrow marks 2 weeks, I'm starting to get annoyed.

Really? I had a pretty constant connection the last days... And with constant I mean no challenges and a few short drops of a minute or two.
Are you in Europe or NA?

OmegaDL50

Eh? That's not remotely what I implied. All I'm saying is there aren't games out there that are 100% sim. There are so many variables that are simply hardcoded and not simulated in any game.

There are quite a few games on PC that are full on racing simulations.

Realistic to the point you can completely blow the engine for simply revving too high without shifting / changing gears.

Check out the Simbin racing titles such as Race 07 and it's various addons or the GTR FIA GT games for starters.

Bedlam

There is no rubberbanding. (faster, slower maybe...)
Slower when you're slower, faster when you're faster. That's exactly what rubber-banding is. The finer details don't matter after this fact.

I wish games like these would give me the option to just race a steady AI that doesn't react to the player's performance. Make rubber-band mode the "easy" setting or whatever. Unless your game is someting like Burnout, where having cars around you all the time matters as far as the core gameplay is concerned, I simply don't want that stuff because it takes away from my sense of accomplishment and my drive to learn the game's actual racing mechanics.

h3ro

When this game is right, it's so damn good.

But man are all these server issues frustrating. Just wanted to jump on real quick and do a couple races and of course, the servers are down. Thought that wouldn't be an issue until I realized the races i wanted to do would benefit most from the BAC Mono.

So. Damn. Frustrating.

Slower when you're slower, faster when you're faster. That's exactly what rubber-banding is. The finer details don't matter after this fact.
I think they do, but you aren't wrong at all about what rubber-banding is, its just that Evo has made a point about the AI not being able to go beyond the limits of the car, and that even they provide inputs to the driving engine rather than just magically placing the cars in the right place.

And yeah, it'd be great if we could turn it off, but am not sure whether its all set to the same strength as you move up in difficulty. I haven't noticed it lately since as the events have gotten more difficult I've spent more time to practice them, so when I do actually run the event I'm far more prepared to nail that first place finish.

Aspiring

I don't know how reliable this is but...

Also, if anyone wants a club to race in, shoot AG SYSTEMS a request. Right now it's just me and AspiringYouth contributing. I asked my GF to join so I could activate the club but she's just there for show. lol

Woo we will be #1
if it connects consistently so I can contribute my fame

Just yesterday giving it a run and I connect in and out, and when I level up an accolade and get big fame is when it decides to disconnect. So frustrating.

Also on leaderboards, they never seem to update. A few of my drift challenges show my lowest score, which is usually my first attempt, but when I beat that score never updates.

They keep mentioning being able to connect. Connecting is not the issue for me. I've been able to connect pretty well these last few days. It's the face offs, ghosts, leader boards and challenges that still aren't working and they never seem to mention any of those in their updates.

viveks86

I don't understand why they continue to completely ignore the challenges situation in these updates, as if that feature doesn't even exist even with the huge menu icon in the main menu. It's like they are afraid to acknowledge that hey a complete part of our online implementation is still not working at all, for anybody, at any time of day.

FWIW

eOxbrZx.png

Kumubou

It's the same problem PGR had -- on some tracks, the walls are too close and collisions modeled in a plausible manner (but with no mechanical damage!). So the fastest way around a corner is to ride the wall. Hell, most arcade racers are way more harsh about contact than Driveclub is. They probably could make an adjustment and adjust the leaderboard without wiping everything (which would be annoying). Assuming they have the right data and telemetry (and they do in some capacity, since they have ghosts), they could probably throw out any times in the top 100 (or however many places) that involved any sort of track collision.

Hell, while we're pining for PGR, I would love for them to bring back something like the Kudos Challenges from PGR 1-3. To work in the current system, you could probably make it a series of set face-offs back to back to back, and you have to beat N of them to rank. Leaderboards would then be set by # of face-offs beaten and overall time. Add a couple of additional face-off types (how about one with some virtual cone gates in the road?) and you're probably in there.

Gacha-pin

I can't see the online features work as they are anytime soon. Maybe evo should give us some toys first...photo mode or something...?

Top Bottom