• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

viveks86

The points system is too biased towards drifting. I can run super fast clean laps over and over again and get as many points as one or two drift turns would net me.

I would like to see some sort of fast driving multiplier put into the game. Clean cornering, hitting apexes etc would start to build a multiplier and you would get points on each turn. I should be able to get 8-10k points per lap for driving fast/clean.

+1

AndyD

aka andydumi
The points system is too biased towards drifting. I can run super fast clean laps over and over again and get as many points as one or two drift turns would net me.

I would like to see some sort of fast driving multiplier put into the game. Clean cornering, hitting apexes etc would start to build a multiplier and you would get points on each turn. I should be able to get 8-10k points per lap for driving fast/clean.

People mentioned that the live challenge system, including cornering and time challenges, that are currently only partially working would satisfy this as they provide points in spades. Some people are refraining from playing tour mode even so that they can play it the way it's meant to be played with everything going on.

i_max

Neo Member
How's remote play for this game? Anyone using it much?

Pretty good, I have tried a few times, and I have felt no delay at all, the only annoying thing, and this is not just with Driveclub, but with Remote play in general is, as soon as you hit the power button to put the vita in stand by, the wifi connection is dropped, which drops remote play, to resume it takes the same time as it takes to connect the first time, I wish they had a timer such that wifi only dropped after a minute or so.

Varvor

This at least is a real issue. The AI don't have a tangible sense of self preservation. Which is fine in this type of a racer, if not for unfair collision penalties that can potentially kill your chance of recovering. If they fix how collision penalties work in order to address those occasional issues, people would complain far less about bumpy suicidal AI.

Thats the thing, ill proceed to make a turn and AI hits me from behind or side and...BAM...colision penalty! I felt AI's ridiculous pushyness the most during Clean Lap Star events.

It consisted of me trying to get away at all costs from them in hopes of making decent lap time by Lap 2 or 3 and comming back for seperate instance to just do clean lap in from of driving real slow.

rav

This at least is a real issue. The AI don't have a tangible sense of self preservation. Which is fine in this type of a racer, if not for unfair collision penalties that can potentially kill your chance of recovering. If they fix how collision penalties work in order to address those occasional issues, people would complain far less about bumpy suicidal AI.

Forza5 drivatars blow. I'd take DriveClub's AI cars over that crashfest any day.

viveks86

Forza5 drivatars blow. I'd take DriveClub's AI cars over that crashfest any day.

I heard they are massively improved for FH2, though I have no personal experience playing either.

I'd say 80 arcade, 20 sim.

I would say 70% sim 30% arcade.

60 arcade 40 sim

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog-gif.gif

The game has the feels of an arcade but just has enough 'sim' elements to it where skill and strategy play hold. You can't just bum rush a corner and slam the handbreak and expect to get competitive times.

Also, it seems challenges are up. I can now select that menu.

rav

I heard they are massively improved for FH2, though I have no personal experience playing either.
Between hating the drivatars and not feeling like any progress was made without having to resort to microtransactions, Forza is dead to me. ( I stopped playing before the promised update, and I think I tried to check out the 'fix' but it didn't seem any better to me.)

Afrikan

they should add an sim option...well not 100% sim..but an option for no barriers... oh man the amount of cars flying off cliffs will be like Motorstorm all over again.

wouwie

Despite being more connected now, single event time-trialing is more broken than it was before. No face-offs, no online ghosts and it isn't registering my own times anymore (which it did during the first week). This basically means that there is no point in doing these time-trials either. No races due to shit AI, no time trialing due to being broken. Never thought a developer could screw up a game release this badly as Evolution did with Driveclub. And Evolution was one of my favourite developers due to Motorstorm Pacific Rift...

AndyD

aka andydumi
they should add an sim option...well not 100% sim..but an option for no barriers... oh man the amount of cars flying off cliffs will be like Motorstorm all over again.

I would settle for a mechanical damage version where you get flat tires and degraded performance after crashes.

Nafai1123

Banned
People mentioned that the live challenge system, including cornering and time challenges, that are currently only partially working would satisfy this as they provide points in spades. Some people are refraining from playing tour mode even so that they can play it the way it's meant to be played with everything going on.

Eh, it helps but the rewards are not enough. Winning any of those challenges gives you 500 points and you'll probably only be able to win any particular challenge a couple times on each course before the scores get too high. In comparison, drifting around a corner with a cornering challenge could give you 1k-2k points.

viveks86

I'd call it a "realistic" arcade racer. With the combo of no mechanical damage and no tuning it loses most rights to the word "sim" imo.

Though mechanical damage is a valid point, tuning has nothing to do with "sim". Car sims have tuning because most car sims have everything and the kitchen sink thrown in there. The feature itself is not related to the genre.

OmegaDL50

I'd call it a "realistic" arcade racer. With the combo of no mechanical damage and no tuning it loses most rights to the word "sim" imo.

Would you call Gran Turismo an Arcade Racer by that metric then? Considering it doesn't have mechanical damage either.

Full damage is just one aspect of Simulation. There are other factors to consider as well in terms of the cars handling model, having realistic physics on the road, different road surfaces providing different levels of grip as well as track conditions.

There a bunch of variables involved in Sim racing games, it's not just about the damage and being able to tune.

In this sense with the handling model and feel of the cars in Driveclub, it is far more sim then compared to the likes of Burnout, Outrun, or even Ridge Racer.

Though mechanical damage is a valid point, tuning has nothing to do with "sim". Car sims have tuning because most car sims have everything and the kitchen sink thrown in there. The feature itself is not related to the genre.

Yeah that's fair, but then we have GT, a "sim" that for years had tuning but no damage. Go figure lol.

Thyralax

Banned
So just got my first collision penalty last night while in first place after I got rear ended...haha on a bright side so close to the platinum. I'm loving this game still I just need challenges to work for me.

Gestault

True. Just like many NFS games :p

I guess there is no game out there that is 100% sim. If they were, then only real life racing drivers will be able to play it.

GT didn't have it? I guess that means no games do ¯\(°_o)/¯

(I'm just saying there are some really nitty-gritty racing sims on PC)

viveks86

GT didn't have it? I guess that means no games do ¯\(°_o)/¯

Eh? That's not remotely what I implied. All I'm saying is there aren't games out there that are 100% sim. There are so many variables that are simply hardcoded and not simulated in any game.

(I'm just saying there are some really nitty-gritty racing sims on PC)

Of course! You just made a straw man argument :(

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Yeah but isn't this what Face Offs did in the first place? The faster you go and the cleaner you drive the more points you accumulated?

I haven't be on much but are they back? I've had races with almost zero drifting and my Fame score was 70k and above.

viveks86

Yeah but isn't this what Face Offs did in the first place? The faster you go and the cleaner you drive the more points you accumulated?

I haven't be on much but are they back? I've had races with almost zero drifting and my Fame score was 70k and above.

Face offs never gave scores that high IIRC. I remember getting 500-1000 points for beating them.

They are back for the most part. Last night I was getting face offs in online races too.

Yeah right. You must not be a big arcade racer fan. It plays way more sim than any arcade racer I've ever played.

Don't tell me what I must be thanks, it's rude and makes you look childish.

Tell me something about the handling that makes it have any sim attributes.

Try to do it without referencing me.

viveks86

Don't tell me what I must be thanks, it's rude and makes you look childish.

I'm guessing English isn't your first language, as I can see how that could have been misinterpreted. That's not what "You must not be a big arcade racer fan" means. He is simply inferring that if you were into arcade racers, you would not have called this game pure arcade. The "must" here takes a different meaning :)

LOL. That doesn't put it to bed. It is the center of this whole controversy! :D

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Face offs never gave scores that high IIRC. I remember getting 500-1000 points for beating them.

They are back for the most part. Last night I was getting face offs in online races too.

Didn't we use get Face Offs during Single Events as well? Or are people not playing them enough for the servers to keep track of what car class they used for each specific track?

I'm getting nothing yet. No Face Offs or Challenges, or leaderboards for that matter. Game's still empty for me.

Straight from the game director.
That's the original quote but not everybody seems to believe that's whats actually happening on track.

In my experience I used to see the AI as overly aggressive and rubber-bandy (in terms of blazing past me when I thought I was doing well), but both feelings fell away as I learned the tracks better - pitted my times against other players on the leaderboards with their ghosts, something that will dramatically improve your times if you can say, beat two or three ghosts before going up against the AI, and finally, by getting to know the braking zones the AI likes to use.

If you know when the AI likes to brake you can not only avoid a lot of collisions (both getting smacked in the rear by AI when you've braked too early, and also when slamming into the AI when they've hit the brakes before you expected), but it also helps you overtake them since you know when they'll be slow.

viveks86

Didn't we use get Face Offs during Single Events as well? Or are people not playing them enough for the servers to keep track of what car class they used for each specific track?

I'm getting nothing yet. No Face Offs or Challenges, or leaderboards for that matter. Game's still empty for me.

Yeah I get them every now and then. It's flaky at best.

Bedlam

"Why is the music turned off by default? 'Because the engines are the soundtrack.”'

I don't have the game yet and this is certainly a minor thing but that's just dumb in my opinion.

Anyway, it's crazy how much of a fiasco this game release has become. People at work who got the game are constantly joking about the issues and pretty much all of them are saying they will just sell it as soon as possible.

CozMick

Banned
"Why is the music turned off by default? 'Because the engines are the soundtrack.”'

I don't have the game yet and this is certainly a minor thing but that's just dumb in my opinion.

Anyway, it's crazy how much of a fiasco this game release has become. People at work who got the game are constantly joking about the issues and pretty much all of them are saying they will just sell it as soon as possible.

The Ferrari FF is the modern day Mozart. It needs to be heard to be believed.

I'm guessing English isn't your first language, as I can see how that could have been misinterpreted. That's not what "You must not be a big arcade racer fan" means. He is simply inferring that if you were into arcade racers, you would not have called this game pure arcade. The "must" here takes a different meaning :)

LOL. That doesn't put it to bed. It is the center of this whole controversy! :D

I speak English just fine - England being the nation I call home and was born in. I was making reference to how he wanted to insult my experience rather than deal with the subject and provide evidence.

Perhaps he wished to do that because he didn't have the ability to make a serious point.

BiGBoSSMk23

That's being too harsh on the game. The sound design for the car is the new standard for racing games. I haven't seen another game with better/more accurate engine sound.

For any car enthusiast that statement is not dumb.

Jamesways

You have no idea how many people in Forza, GT, Dirt, Shift, Grid, etc threads all turn off music immediately when they start playing it. Seems to be the norm with games more on the sim side.

I was actually surprised to see people complain in this thread that it's off by default.

Loudninja

How is it dumb?

Bedlam

To all of the guys above: well, I love music in my games, I love music even more in racing games, and I pretty much need it in arcade-y racing games. In fact, the first thing I usually do in games is turning up the music volume and turning down the rest of the effects (given that the music is good and greatly complements the experience, of course). As I said, just my opinion.

Edit: I'm sorry that I even started this argument. I was really only meant as a short little side note. ;)

What's really important is how fucked the online part of this game still is. I actually have the game on my desk, still wrapped in plastic, but I don't have a PS4 yet (I purchased it during a sale). I was really looking forward to playing this game once I finally get a PS4 in the near future but now it's sad to see that all of my gaming friends are about to sell the game because of the online issues. Plus: none of them even knew about the stuff that will be patched/upgraded in the near future (weather, tracks etc.). All of this makes me wish they would've delayed the game even further in order to deliver a more refined product. First impressions matter and Evo completely botched this part.

Judge for yourself. I think this is a case of Evo feeling very proud of their car audio, thus the bucking of the trend of music being enabled by default.

You still get the menu music by default and can enable it all for races, even enough to drown out most of the game sound fx if you want.

Hugstable

Banned

The sound design of the engines, blow off valves, the spooling, the road, etc are all unmatched by any other racing game out there right now and it's pretty damn amazing how well they got some of the sounds down. Once you play the game it's much easier to see.

-Amon-

It's not dumb, it's a freaking switch. Want music? Turn it on.

viveks86

I speak English just fine - England being the nation I call home and was born in. I was making reference to how he wanted to insult my experience rather than deal with the subject and provide evidence.

Perhaps he wished to do that because he didn't have the ability to make a serious point.

Oh. He did make a point though. Point being if you were a fan of arcade racing, you would not call this game pure arcade. Because it doesn't resemble pure arcade racers, which any fan of arcade racers would agree. It might be a little premature and dismissive to have inferred that, since we don't know what your preferences are, but I don't see anything derogatory or insulting in his remark.

Anyway, not my job to defend his statement. Just wasn't expecting such a reaction for typical forum banter.

Top Bottom