• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Gestault

I can't see the online features work as they are anytime soon. Maybe evo should give us some toys first...photo mode or something...?

I doubt the people working on the post-launch networking fixes are the same putting in the other content modules, which is a good thing in terms of it being timely.

Konosuke

I can't see the online features work as they are anytime soon. Maybe evo should give us some toys first...photo mode or something...?

That's the thing though, they still have to do photo mode, weather, a sound profile for PlayStation headsets and DLC for this month.

What the hell are they talking about with most people being able to connect? I have yet to connect to the servers even once in the last 3 days. For the first week, I was very patient and calm, but now that tomorrow marks 2 weeks, I'm starting to get annoyed.

Me as well. Worse than you, I expect. Never, since launch, has my copy successfully connected for longer than a brief half or one second.
Never.

During that entire time, every other online game on the PS4 has worked normally.

I'm thinking that Evolution studio don't know this afflicts some users, or are keeping mum about it. Either way, I'm done with the game until everyone who has a connection says it is flawless.

Slower when you're slower, faster when you're faster. That's exactly what rubber-banding is. The finer details don't matter after this fact..

It's actually worse, in a way, because every other AI driver has the same ability. They all lap at the same lap time, give or take. After 5 laps they all finish pretty much over the same few seconds which is HIGHLY unrealistic.

What would be realistic is the best AI driver lapping the worst one after a few laps, and the finishing time sheet showing a bunch of "still running" or "laps down" indicators.

Nafai1123

Banned
It's actually worse, in a way, because every other AI driver has the same ability. They all lap at the same lap time, give or take. After 5 laps they all finish pretty much over the same few seconds which is HIGHLY unrealistic.

What would be realistic is the best AI driver lapping the worst one after a few laps, and the finishing time sheet showing a bunch of "still running" or "laps down" indicators.

Huh? That would not be realistic at all. Real racing drivers would not be so different in skill that the best would lap the worst after only 3 laps.

leng jai

New update: https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/714009418683421

TLDR
02lburS.gif

This is becoming a joke (if it wasn't already). So much potential squandered with this game that it's sad. They really need think of a way to get some goodwill back.

Shaneus

Great, I just made a WR lap on Cayoosh and it didn't even register. Cool...

EDIT: The 70,000 score I mentioned earlier came from leveling an accolade. It just got 93k for leveling performance racer and since I was disconnected it didn't go towards my club.
Isn't it supposed to add it when you go back online? I earned a stack of points in a championship yesterday but as it was loading times for the last race, it disconnected :/

psn

Slower when you're slower, faster when you're faster. That's exactly what rubber-banding is. The finer details don't matter after this fact.

I wish games like these would give me the option to just race a steady AI that doesn't react to the player's performance. Make rubber-band mode the "easy" setting or whatever. Unless your game is someting like Burnout, where having cars around you all the time matters as far as the core gameplay is concerned, I simply don't want that stuff because it takes away from my sense of accomplishment and my drive to learn the game's actual racing mechanics.

They just get slower when youre far behind... but once youre behind them they are back on 100%...

They just get slower when youre far behind... but once youre behind them they are back on 100%...

Exactly. I was just trying to get a lap time star in a Norway circuit, and to keep it clean I just let the AI get 1 minute ahead, and by the 3rd lap I caught up to them, but once I was there they were pressing me just like normal.

Lady Gaia

I have no hellish Idea how GAFClub Panda is even doing since I can never freaking LOG ON!

I have almost zero luck until mid-afternoon and can usually stay connected all evening from the North American West coast. Presumably it means that once the Europeans go to sleep a lot of server capacity is freed up!

I think we were around club level 16 last night.

VanWinkle

If one told me that DC would still not be completely online two weeks post-release, I would have called one loco; insane; out of one's mind. Only now do I realize that the only one that was loco, insane, and out of one's mind was me, for believing so foolishly that it would be a prompt fix.

I have been played the fool, and Evolution was the king's jester.

Slower when you're slower, faster when you're faster. That's exactly what rubber-banding is. The finer details don't matter after this fact.

I wish games like these would give me the option to just race a steady AI that doesn't react to the player's performance. Make rubber-band mode the "easy" setting or whatever. Unless your game is someting like Burnout, where having cars around you all the time matters as far as the core gameplay is concerned, I simply don't want that stuff because it takes away from my sense of accomplishment and my drive to learn the game's actual racing mechanics.

But rubber banding isn't necessarily easier. In games where the AI can knock you off the road and ruin your time/position, having any system in place that forces all AI cars to bunch up around you makes it more a game of chance than skill.

Is the only way to get a refund by calling Sony? Love the game but two weeks of online downtime where I can't connect when I want to play is pushing it way past my standards. I can forgive launch troubles, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

23qwerty

Is the only way to get a refund by calling Sony? Love the game but two weeks of online downtime where I can't connect when I want to play is pushing it way past my standards. I can forgive launch troubles, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

Do you honestly want a refund on a game that you've played for two weeks and love?

Do you honestly want a refund on a game that you've played for two weeks and love?

I haven't played it that much actually. I've played it in short bursts, loved the game. I initially got to play it when the online was working and have held off playing the game because having things like challenges and scores on track was great. I keep thinking, I'll play it the next day because the servers will be better and I can fully dedicate my time.

Fast forward two weeks later and I've beaten several games, put in 20+ hours into FH2 and the servers for DC aren't up yet. The servers for the one damn game and racer I actually want to play aren't working for me.

So, yes. I'd like a refund. There are other games to get, ones that work and I'm limited by money.

Huh? That would not be realistic at all. Real racing drivers would not be so different in skill that the best would lap the worst after only 3 laps.

Yes they would, well, not 3 laps, but the lead driver does lap after lap much faster, per lap, than the worst driver.
My actual point is that no matter how long the race goes on all the AI drivers stay together -- after they spread out immediately after start. Since they are staying together, the lead driver is driving pretty much the same lap as the worst driver. Which is unrealistic. Especially in view of the dramatically different cars they are all given to drive.

For anyone that might be considering it, it was very quick and easy for me to get my purchase refunded via live chat.

Hopefully I can comeback and enjoy this game at a later date, when all is said and done.

For anyone that might be considering it, it was very quick and easy for me to get my purchase refunded via live chat.

Hopefully I can comeback and enjoy this game at a later date, when all is said and done.

Did they give you the "we're making a special exception for you" attitude?

"Thank you for your recent call to Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) Consumer Services. We have reviewed your case and as a one time gesture of goodwill we have approved your refund in the amount of $49.99. Please allow us 2 to 4 weeks to finalize your refund and return the funds back to your PSN Wallet/Credit Card."

viveks86

"Thank you for your recent call to Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) Consumer Services. We have reviewed your case and as a one time gesture of goodwill we have approved your refund in the amount of $49.99. Please allow us 2 to 4 weeks to finalize your refund and return the funds back to your PSN Wallet/Credit Card."

Haha! Any idea if you get to continue from your last save if you purchase/download it again after things are fixed?

Ha, I didn't get that at all. I opened up with the online issue and the lady I chatted with was pretty nice and apologized for the problem, immediately getting the refund procedure started. I was done the entire live-chat in about 4-5 minutes.

viveks86

Stupid question how do you drift on this game

• Reach drifting line somewhere around the center, at medium-full throttle
  • Do NOT go in at full throttle. Your car would then have too much momentum and you are very likely to drift out of bounds
  • Let go of throttle, hit hand brake and turn sharply towards direction of the turn. This will start the drift. Release hand brake around 0.5 seconds. Depending on your car and sharpness of turn, you need to adapt a little
  • Before your car becomes perpendicular to the track, turn sharply in the opposite direction and throttle lightly to keep the momentum and prevent the car from spinning out. Your drift score will go up fast only if you maintain throttle
  • Try to center the car before the end of the drift, so that you have enough speed for the speed zone. Sometimes, you end up with a great drift, but you are not in line for the next zone, which is as important for your overall score
  • As you keep practicing, you will end up playing by ear as you get a feel of how the car responds to these instrucitons. But this should be a good start
  • I'm no expert at this, but this has worked well for me

Let me know if this helps! :)

EBreda

Still not working reliably so far.
I'm able to connect sometimes, but matchmaking fails every single time.
Leader boards do not load, notifications are a no go too.

It still sucks badly. Can't put up with it no more. Sorry Evo, you lost me.

I went through live chat (since they don't take calls on Sunday). The guy in the chat made it sound like the refund is going through. Although I hear they deny it if your trophy progress is over 10%. I'm at 14, so we'll see.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Isn't it supposed to add it when you go back online? I earned a stack of points in a championship yesterday but as it was loading times for the last race, it disconnected :/

Yeah I hope that's the case, would be a shame otherwise.

In other news, I've become obsessed with the P1. That thing is impressive. In one word, that's it. Impressive.

What a machine.

EDIT: Well, FUCK!

Fess

Bought it a few days ago and omg this is fun fun fun! Much more arcadey than I thought, I still miss some nitros but otherwise it's a superb arcade racer, never thought I would say that about a 30fps racer but yeah it's really fantastic, sense of speed is nuts. I'm not impressed by the visuals though, for some reason it looked much better in the pre-launch media, it all looks kind of bland now imo, they shouldn't have hyped it up that much for the graphics abd effects, it didn't deliver on that part imo. But they delivered on the fun and that's what matters to me, some of the review scores I've seen are plain wrong, I'd honestly be ashamed of myself to earn money for reviewing games and give this anything less than 8/10.

I do wish hitting the walls and collisions actually hurt your speed more than they do, and that the AI didn't slow down as much as they do when you mess up (though that may not happen in higher difficulties).

But then I wonder, even if Evo did tweak the model a bit, wouldn't that invalidate the existing leaderboard scores? Is Evo painted in a corner by those player times (once everything works) or do people think they'll be able to tweak penalties and scoring over time without wiping those scores somehow?
On the leaderboards they could simply add a column showing the overdrive fame points which should give us a clue on how clean the person raced. It would also help if they boost how many points you get for clean driving.

I do agree they should slow you down more for riding the wall. There's a lot they could tweak by adjusting the penalties and points you get.

GodofWine

Punching above your weight was a pain , that Bentley isnt meant to race around that little track

I wish the leaderboards would work / accept my times, its like my first time is taken and nothing after , im smoking you fools (not really ) and have nothi!g to show for it . Right now , id rather have functional leaderboards over functional multiplayer

Korezo

Ha, I didn't get that at all. I opened up with the online issue and the lady I chatted with was pretty nice and apologized for the problem, immediately getting the refund procedure started. I was done the entire live-chat in about 4-5 minutes.

Can people who bought the disc get a refund?

A friend was work was able to get a refund in 3 days when he put the request into live chat last week.

I put my request in on Sunday and they said they'd get back to me in 7 days.

For the record he has 23% of the trophies and I have 13%, so I'm not sure how much the trophy % weighs into it.

I like the way the game looks however its pretty barebones otherwise and I still have no idea how it is with online because it doesn't work for me. I haven't even played past the first big race because I wanted to wait for the online stuff to work. Even if I don't get a refund, I don't see me booting up this game again unless everything is fixed and there is some goodwill bonus given to the customers.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Can we get a separate thread about people and their refunds? It's kind of depressing seeing it clogging up the game's OT.

This game is so addicting. So many "I'm just going to try one more time to get a better a score/time" or "just one more race" have been said. I've been stuck playing this for hours.

Cubed

This game is so addicting. So many "I'm just going to try one more time to get a better a score/time" or "just one more race" have been said. I've been stuck playing this for hours.
That's me every time I play.

The leveling system (for both solo and club) in conjunction with the accolades means there's always something to aim for.

Nafai1123

Banned
Yes they would, well, not 3 laps, but the lead driver does lap after lap much faster, per lap, than the worst driver.
My actual point is that no matter how long the race goes on all the AI drivers stay together -- after they spread out immediately after start. Since they are staying together, the lead driver is driving pretty much the same lap as the worst driver. Which is unrealistic. Especially in view of the dramatically different cars they are all given to drive.

LeMans Qualifying
29. Bell/Makowiecki/Senna Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage V8 3mins 54.635secs GTE-Pro *
30. Turner/Mucke/Dumbreck Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage V8 3mins 55.445secs GTE-Pro *
31. Lieb/Lietz/Dumas Porsche AG Team Manthey Porsche 911 RSR 3mins 55.491secs GTE-Pro *
32. Bruni/Fisichella/Malucelli AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia 3mins 55.909secs GTE-Pro *
33. Auberlen/Dalla Lana/Lamy Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage V8 3mins 56.336secs GTE-Pro
34. Beretta/Kobayashi/Vilander AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia 3mins 56.471secs GTE-Pro *
35. Bernhard/Pilet/Bergmeister Porsche AG Team Manthey Porsche 911 RSR 3mins 56.573secs GTE-Pro *

A gap of 5-6 seconds would be expected after 3-4 laps. And they DO spread out. I've seen the much faster accelerating cars pull away from the pack before.

Lingxor

Is the game stable yet? I bought it at launch, but don't really want to boot it up if the community stuff is still flakey...

OmegaDL50

A friend was work was able to get a refund in 3 days when he put the request into live chat last week.

I put my request in on Sunday and they said they'd get back to me in 7 days.

For the record he has 23% of the trophies and I have 13%, so I'm not sure how much the trophy % weighs into it.

I like the way the game looks however its pretty barebones otherwise and I still have no idea how it is with online because it doesn't work for me. I haven't even played past the first big race because I wanted to wait for the online stuff to work. Even if I don't get a refund, I don't see me booting up this game again unless everything is fixed and there is some goodwill bonus given to the customers.

GT6 has 64 events for it's Single player career mode. Which is 9 more events more then Driveclub with it's 55 events. I'd say the games tour career is hardly barebones.

Even if we factor special events like the Goodwill Festival of Speed or the Sierra Time Trial free DLC update. Driveclub also has the open challenges for corners, speed averages, drifts that can occur at anytime in time trials and such.

Even not factoring the Season Pass that is going to add an additional 176 events to the game bringing the overall total of 231 Tour events to the game.

Despite the online issues Driveclub is not really lacking in content some are inclined to believe and the game offers plenty to do.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Oliver's Landing - Canada #1 time in the BAC Mono now, also. Thankfully the #1 time I beat this time was legit and not someone bouncing off a wall to help themselves. I was only going drive it to get the miles driven in the Mono, but it's too addicting, lol.

Top Bottom