• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

viveks86

Despite the online issues Driveclub is not really lacking in content some are inclined to believe and the game offers plenty to do.

I don't think most people's complaints are about content. It's about features, though they do admittedly mix up the two quite often. Racing games, the serious kind, have been a victim of checklist based impressions for a while now, unfortunately.

GT6 has 64 events for it's Single player career mode. Which is 9 more events more then Driveclub with it's 55 events. I'd say the games tour career is hardly barebones.

Even if we factor special events like the Goodwill Festival of Speed or the Sierra Time Trial free DLC update. Driveclub also has the open challenges for corners, speed averages, drifts that can occur at anytime in time trials and such.

Even not factoring the Season Pass that is going to add an additional 176 events to the game bringing the overall total of 231 Tour events to the game.

Despite the online issues Driveclub is not really lacking in content some are inclined to believe and the game offers plenty to do.
I'm not comparing it to GT, but if you want, you can't paint the cars a basic color, there is zero tuning options, zero options for assists, tracks are limited to invisible walls, DC has 50 cars vs. 447 premium cars or just 168 new cars.

But then again, GT is a sim and that is why i'm not comparing it, because its not that simple.

My issue is I was looking forward to the club part of Driveclub. That was their marketing push, and I bought into it. Sadly, I don't have anything to show for it.

If you like it, awesome. I feel slighted, I wish I didn't.

OmegaDL50

Taking the ferrari 599 GTO for a spin..

why cant it sound like this? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ld_K-7-4Y

the most disappointing sounding car in the game so far...damn.

I wouldn't expect the 599 GTO to sound like that video, unless of course it's an AI car rapid passing you and going off into the distance.

Also if you play in cockpit view, much like being inside a real car a lot of external engine sound is dampened. As for the outside behind the car cam. The car audio is generally recorded using a dyno of a car while not in motion.

Using a chassis dynamometer (think of it as a treadmill for a car that allows a car to actually be in motion while not moving) for example - http://www.dynojet.com/Products/Dynamometers/DynoModel224x/Dynojet-dynamometer-224x.aspx

Recording audio using one of these would probably the most accurate way to record a car in motion and this particular dynamometer can support speeds up to 200mph so for audio recording purposes could be used for any particular car to accurately capture audio.

Here's the thing though, Driveclub audio is actually fairly spot on, for example recordings were so accurate that BMW and Mercedes-Benz AMG requested copies to replace their existing library, so I don't see how they didn't also capture proper audio for the other car models from the other manufacturers. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Cubed

I'm not comparing it to GT, but if you want, you can't paint the cars a basic color, there is zero tuning options, zero options for assists, tracks are limited to invisible walls, DC has 50 cars vs. 447 premium cars or just 168 new cars.

But then again, GT is a sim and that is why i'm not comparing it, because its not that simple.

My issue is I was looking forward to the club part of Driveclub. That was their marketing push, and I bought into it. Sadly, I don't have anything to show for it.

Small correction, but you CAN paint cars any basic, plain color you want.

OmegaDL50

I wasn't talking about car rosters or tuning options. I was speaking entirely from the point of actual race events you can participate in. 55 to 64 isn't a large difference.

OmegaDL50

Yeah, but I wasn't?

You admitted you haven't even played past the first big race in the hopes of holding out for the online to get sorted. That's fine and all, but even with the games online currently in shambles. There are plenty of things to enjoy out of Driveclub.

You can call the games content barebones if you wish, but at least put some time into the events you may be surprised to see the game isn't nearly...well I can't come up with the right word. Something like a dry well or the equivalent to that sense.

That is all I was trying to say. I wasn't making this out to be an argument and if that is how you took it then you are reading too much into it. No offense was intended.

:)

You admitted you haven't even played past the first big race in the hopes of holding out for the online to get sorted. That's fine and all, but even with the games online currently in shambles. There are plenty of things to enjoy out of Driveclub.

You can call the games content barebones if you wish, but at least put some time into the events you may be surprised to see the game isn't nearly...well I can't come up with the right word. Something like a dry well or the equivalent to that sense.

That is all I was trying to say. Try not to be so offense by it. I wasn't making this out to be an argument and if that is how you took it then you are reading too much into it.

:)
No worries. *fist bump*

OmegaDL50

Does anyone one what track has the longest straight in the game. I've tried these p2p races like the Taapaca and the The Kyle.

I'm trying to see if I can reach the top speed of the Venom. While not practical, just wanted to sate my curiosity.

I just recently acquired it and wanted to toy around with it. Even if 270 can't be reached, I figure at least matching the Veyron's 253 could be feasible.

Putty

Does anyone one what track has the longest straight in the game. I've tried these p2p races like the Taapaca and the The Kyle.

I'm trying to see if I can reach the top speed of the Venom. While not practical, just wanted to sate my curiosity.

I just recently acquired it and wanted to toy around with it. Even if 270 can't be reached, I figure at least matching the Veyron's 253 could be feasible.
One of the Chile or Scotland PTP tracks might do it.

OmegaDL50

It's not possible to completely wipeout is it?

I mean every rollover crash always ends up back on the wheels. I would have thought if you got stuck on the roof the 3 second timer would auto-reset.

Because I just went off the road trying to push the Venom top speed and well it was barrel roll city.

Kumubou

Finally got around to finishing the rest of the Tour events (at least I got that done before Bayonetta 2 comes out. :x). People are right, the Venom Hot Lap event is some real shit. I was surprised how easy the last couple of events ended up being, though -- consistently doing about 2-3 second faster laps than the AI, even after all the rubberbanding.

Yeah, any Hyper car on that track (or in the reverse version, like the first race of the Legend Trophy event) is basically going to try to take flight. The rolling hills that seem quaint when you're in a hatchback are a deathtrap when you're going 200+mph. Whoever put that track in the Legend Trophy championship is an asshole. :p

viveks86

It's not possible to completely wipeout is it?

I mean every rollover crash always ends up back on the wheels. I would have thought if you got stuck on the roof the 3 second timer would auto-reset.

Because I just went off the road trying to push the Venom top speed and well it was barrel roll city.

Oh I've rolled plenty of times and landed on the roof. I've even slid around for 3 whole seconds on the roof until I reset. :D

With the venom, I even managed to land on the side and drive straight on 2 wheels!

OmegaDL50

so most of you guys have finished the tour already?

Some of us have, yes. I'm not quite there yet. I spend a lot of time though in the single events. Just random time trials on the various tracks, trying to perfect my lap times. Doing the occasional drift, etc.

Putting things into perspective. I'm just about to start the Legend Tour level and I'm Driver level 27.

By the time I get all 225 Stars for the Tour I'll estimate I'll be around level 32 or 33.

However after the Tour there is accolades to get to Driver level 50, this isn't even factoring Club levels either.

I say just getting all of the Accolades and Driver level 50 will take at least 30 to 40 hours of play time.

And if the online gets fixed that will open up even more fun stuff.

Some of us have, yes. I'm not quite there yet. I spend a lot of time though in the single events. Just random time trials on the various tracks, trying to perfect my lap times. Doing the occasional drift, etc.

Putting things into perspective. I'm just about to start the Legend Tour level and I'm Driver level 27.

By the time I get all 225 Stars for the Tour I'll estimate I'll be around level 32 or 33.

However after the Tour there is accolades to get to Driver level 50, this isn't even factoring Club levels either.

I say just getting all of the Accolades and Driver level 50 will take at least 30 to 40 hours of play time.

And if the online gets fixed that will open up even more fun stuff.

I am not sure I am skilled enough to get all 225 Stars but I am pretty sure I can grind to level 50

I have scored 70k just doing 25 laps in single events

I have a feeling the cap goes up beyond 50 when DLC comes

Marlenus

I see what you guys mean about that Venom hot lap challenge. I have it down to a 1:16.350 and I know that If I can string together a lap of my best corners I can beat it but if I nail the 1st sector I mess up the 2nd or 3rd sector so I just have to keep plugging away at it. I spent 2 hours on it last night and I pretty much know how to get the time I just have to actually get it right.

JGJfSgc.jpg

decided to leave the club I was in they had 6 and I was way ahead decided to grind my own club and play with the owner designs I had no access to but starting at level 1 again when I was level 15 kinda sucks but I guess leaving a club does not take Fame away from the old club to give to the new one

KjIHucp.jpg

I finished it 3 days after launch. Too few races, too easy. I remember PGR2 (my arcade racer of reference) and in my memory it seems to me it had many more challenges and it wasn't easy to platinum them. Many of them you had to replay a lot of times. Even the speed test with the focus (one of the first challenges) was quite hard to platinum, but achievable. Driveclub depends too much on online mode working to feel like it's complete.

I just deleted my tour mode save to have something to do when online races don't work.

tip for venom hot lap: if you are in auto, switch to manual. Despite poor gear changing, first lap after switching i matched my best time in Auto. In manual, being in a higher gear than you would expect is an advantage in many corners.

I just finished the Pro-Trophy. Gritted my teeth and had to replay each race multiple times, then on the last one I was overtaken at the last second. On my replay I passed each race first time (except 1 replay for the first) using the car I'd unlocked through my previous failure. Ended up 1st lol.

Surprised at how close I am to the end of the tour. The low number of stars I have distorted how much progress I'd really made.

I've got to say the game had me from the start and has grown on me throughout as cars got faster, nicer looking and the AI became more unforgiving. One mistake will fuck you at this stage and the darker lighting adds a big challenge but eventually you get into a zone where you can pinpoint the turns.

I've never subscribed to PS+ and am not much of an online player, but perhaps the single player will sell me on the online if I'm still thirsty for more petrol burning.

My favourite PS4 game so far and I'm not even a racing aficionado. Might even jump into GT6 on the back of this, as I skipped it.

lewisgone

Was thinking of picking this up but hadn't actually watched much gameplay. Some of the videos that have been posted in here look fantastic, I'm certainly sold. Won't be able to buy the game until next month so I hope the online is stable by then. Frustrating to see server problems continue to be such a big problem.

Spades

Are Clubs working now? By working I mean all the time, not just for some people some of the time. I haven't played in a few days and so I'm hoping to get into a Club when I next log in.

Tankshell

Are Clubs working now? By working I mean all the time, not just for some people some of the time. I haven't played in a few days and so I'm hoping to get into a Club when I next log in.

Just like all the other network features, they are working sporadically. Disconnects are likely. I played for an hour last night, game connected after about 10 minutes, but then disconnected again after about 30 minutes. Then would not reconnect, so I stopped playing.

I work from home 99% of the time as well, so my internet connection has to be rock solid and super fast. So it isn't my connection.

So basically to answer your question: No.

Spades

Just like all the other network features, they are working sporadically. Disconnects are likely. I played for an hour last night, game connected after about 10 minutes, but then disconnected again after about 30 minutes. Then would not reconnect, so I stopped playing.

I work from home 99% of the time as well, so my internet connection has to be rock solid and super fast. So it isn't my connection.

Uch, thanks for letting me know. I'll hold off playing for a while. Plenty of other things to play for now!

Alefas

Neo Member
Worked almost the whole weekend for me but yesterday was more offline than online for the couple of hours I played.

sourc3d

Here's the thing though, Driveclub audio is actually fairly spot on, for example recordings were so accurate that BMW and Mercedes-Benz AMG requested copies to replace their existing library, so I don't see how they didn't also capture proper audio for the other car models from the other manufacturers. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Hyperbole at its best.

To believe for one second that a multi billion dollar car manufacturer who tests and tunes the aural outputs of their cars to perfection during development using equipment that costs an eyewatering amount of money would actually be even remotely impressed by the recordings of 2 or 3 guys from a game development studio is laughable.

http://m-power.com/_open/b/closedroom.jsp?lang=en&x=3165

Just read the lengths M Power sound designers go to to tune thier cars. More likely someone from BMW marketing thought it might be handy to have a copy of some of DCs mp3's incase they need to hurridly slap some audio over their next mobile marketing game

Driver Level 27, Club Level 10 and I'm still in the Amateur Tour. Every time I I go into Tour the accolades distract me.

And holy shit at the BAC Mono. Seriously, after getting the online sorted out the first priority should be patching out the online requirement to using unlocked club cars. I can't remember the last time I had more fun using a car before in any game.

Driver Level 27, Club Level 10 and I'm still in the Amateur Tour. Every time I I go into Tour the accolades distract me.

And holy shit at the BAC Mono. Seriously, after getting the online sorted out the first priority should be patching out the online requirement to using unlocked club cars. I can't remember the last time I had more fun using a car before in any game.

Yeah that thing is just fun on wheels. Great handling and goes pretty quick, shame you tend to get blown away on straights though!

It has to be random. I rented the game Thursday. Thursday and Friday night I had a few connectivity issues, but almost none come Friday. Saturday and sunday I was on the entire time I was playing. I don't think I DCd once.

R&R

Multiplayer still has the same events from last week...

Yeah, why are the multiplayer events just the couple of same events all the time? There are like 4 different events that just rotate - I don't think I have even had a race in Chile like...ever!? WTF! It just adds to the frustration of not getting to race online with disconnects still a constant "feature" when there are just the same races all the time...sigh.

Seriously starting to lose hope with this game ever working properly... =(

2 weeks later, still broken.

What the hell happened Evolution? Seriously.
Every day I start up the game to check out Evo's progress. I might even get into an online race or try my luck in the gaf challenge. But after having waited for 5 minutes to get to the car selection menu, only to be kicked, I had enough for today. Fix your shit Evo.

The thing is, people that I frequently play with have already gone and scattered to the wind. If, IF Evo had nailed the online stuff the first week, club progression would have been directly proportional with SP progression and Challenges would have made club members come online more often, creating a kind of buzz that probably would have lasted for at least 2 weeks.

The only thing that can save the community experience for me is the next big patch, luring people back to the game.

dannethmps

Neo Member
I'm level 36, 225/225

only managed to get on 2 online races last one was just recent was an all RUF race and I won by 7 seconds

Just trying to crack sub 1 minute for oliver's landing

Top Bottom