• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Depends, do you plan on playing the game for more than two days? My club is full but somebody is about to get the boot considering they haven't played the game for over a week.

I think the leader of the club I'm in booted someone too that was a level 8 after 2 weeks while the four of us left range from lvl 30 - 43

benzy

It's not hyperbole.

My information is sourced from the 51 Facts about Driveclub which comes straight from the developers themselves.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/05/51-driveclub-details-might-just-blow-mind/

Unless you think Evolution Studios lying.

With the proper equipment one can easily accurately record audio from a car using a dynamometer at various RPM levels, and speeds up to 200mph in the right environment.

Fact number 38 and 41 in the list might you want to read for yourself.

Unless you honestly believe audio recordings from real life cars can't be accurately captured. Guess what, you will be surprised to know you don't need to be a billion dollar company to do this.

http://recording.org/index.php?thre...car-recording-inside-a-large-race-shop.55174/
http://www.tracktimeaudio.com/?paged=3
http://jalopnik.com/5478591/inside-forza-motorsport-part-ii-making-the-cars-sound-awesome

I made a Driveclub to real-life sound comparison for the RUF RGT-8. Not too many samples I could find for the real one, but the cockpit sound similarities are really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxupq0n2phk

Heroman

Banned
Bit late with this but does anyone have room in their club?
There is pently of room in
lesson1_0.jpg

gaf
The name of the club is NWO gaf

Managed to get a copy and am looking for a club. I was going to post in the club thread but that seems to be more about events currently.

I'm brand new so I can't promise I'll be great but I'll contribute what I can.

OmegaDL50

I made a Driveclub to real-life sound comparison for the RUF RGT-8. Not too many samples I could find for the real one, but the cockpit sound similarities are really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxupq0n2phk

Yeah the audio is rather solid and done extremely well.

Recording with a dyno though and the end results are largely dependent on the environment.

Although I suppose they can add environmental effects to simulate echo such as when you are driving through the wide open mountainous area such as Taapaca, or tunnels on the Norway tracks. Or the more narrow and subdued effects when driving through a semi populated area such as the lap based closed circuits in India.

Outside of Forza, Project Cars, and Shift 2, Driveclub's audio recordings are fairly spot on. Here's another interesting article that covers this subject.

http://designingsound.org/2014/08/vehicle-engine-design-project-cars-forza-motorsport-5-and-rev/

I went to school for this stuff, I always wanted to get into the VG Industry as an audio engineer, but I'm not very lucky in that regard. Creating and producing realistic audio in video games is one of the things I want to do. I'd say proper vehicle sound is one of the most challenging things to do due to it's variables to achieve proper realism.

It's a shame very few developers of racing games take this aspect more seriously.

Shaneus

#Driveclub |OT3| A real diamond & a RUF. ;^)
DRIVECLUB |OT3| Up and Atom!
DRIVECLUB |OT3| From Marussia With Love

That's all I've got :/

Recording with a dyno though and the end results are largely dependent on the environment.

Although I suppose they can add environmental effects to simulate echo such as when you are driving through the wide open mountainous area such as Taapaca, or tunnels on the Norway tracks. Or the more narrow and subdued effects when driving through a semi populated area such as the lap based closed circuits in India.

Outside of Forza, Project Cars, and Shift 2, Driveclub's audio recordings are fairly spot on. Here's another interesting article that covers this subject.

http://designingsound.org/2014/08/vehicle-engine-design-project-cars-forza-motorsport-5-and-rev/

I went to school for this stuff, I always wanted to get into the VG Industry as an audio engineer, but I'm not very lucky in that regard. Creating and producing realistic audio in video games is one of the things I want to do. I'd say proper vehicle sound is one of the most challenging things to do due to it's variables to achieve proper realism.

It's a shame very few developers of racing games take this aspect more seriously.
Oh god, I love this shit. Nick Wiswell was (still is?) god-tier when it came to car sound in games. No idea if he's still with T10 or not. Edit: That article mentions Wiswell by name. Nice.

I think the leader of the club I'm in booted someone too that was a level 8 after 2 weeks while the four of us left range from lvl 30 - 43
Yeah, that was me. TJP is looking to join and one or two other people showed interest (I couldn't see lamby's request anymore :( ) so after checking the guy's most recently played and didn't see DC anywhere, got rid of 'im. No probs having a low-leveller in there, but only if they're willing to contribute. Times is tough!

Was L8 when he joined too, BTW.

club search: Mach786

Is now open with one open spot. We're a high level club and I just booted a club member who was not playing the game at all.

Have fun, participate. You don't need to be good. But I ask that you put in at least one or two hours a week.

benzy

Nice job!
The engine sounds are the best of any video game I have ever heard!!

Thanks!

I'm not sure if they require you to know Japanese, but I think Polyphony Digital is still looking for audio engineers. :p You could apply just for fun and see where it takes you.

recruit_sound@polyphony.co.jp

http://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-looks-to-hire-sound-engineers-for-gran-turismo/

Very cool to see you have a passion for it. And yeah, it seems to be a really difficult aspect to get right, even for some of the more talented devs the sounds aren't 1:1 like real life.

OmegaDL50

Thanks!

I'm not sure if they require you to know Japanese, but I think Polyphony Digital is still looking for audio engineers. :p You could apply just for fun and see where it takes you.

recruit_sound@polyphony.co.jp

http://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-looks-to-hire-sound-engineers-for-gran-turismo/

Very cool to see you have a passion for it. And yeah, it seems to be a really difficult aspect to get right, even for some of the more talented devs the sounds aren't 1:1 like real life.

I'll try this and see what happens. My CV may not help though in terms of job experience working with sound, but if it works and I get contacted back then it would be the perfect step.

The punch above your weight event sure was annoying.

I luckily managed to get the 47 second lap time down but I still need to do this event again just to place first. I certainly won't be delicate about it may have to "punch" some cars out of the way with the "weight" of that Bentley.

Shadybiz

So is the online working yet?

edit: looking at this page, nope. What a clusterfuck.

Yeah it sucks. What's worse is that last week, I was able to get into multiplayer matches just fine, and now I can't. I think I might have gotten into 1 in 10-15 tries or so. Either kicks me after registering for an event, or worse, when I'm already in the pre-event screen with other players.

Single player is still fun, so at least there's that.

kyser73

Anyone have any tips for driving hypercars using the DS4? I'm really struggling with their twitchy rears & enormous throttle response.

The Venom is a beast. There's one turn on Putre where if you hook it together the thing takes off like a rocket in a very satisfying way.

Still not seeing my times on the leaderboards tho :(

Phreak47

Gahhh... I was supposed to get my T300RS wheel from Amazon today, but I knew last night it wasn't going to happen when it hadn't shipped yet. Now they've notified me it's not in stock. Kept the order open but I'm tempted to try to find it elsewhere.

Cubed

I have all the stars through the Professional Championship. Just the Legend challenges to go, including the the Legend Championship.

Wish me luck! I'm not looking forward to the Venom Hot Lap... You all have me spooked.

Stillmatic

Anyone have any tips for driving hypercars using the DS4? I'm really struggling with their twitchy rears & enormous throttle response.

The Venom is a beast. There's one turn on Putre where if you hook it together the thing takes off like a rocket in a very satisfying way.

Still not seeing my times on the leaderboards tho :(

How's the game been holding up online for our crew? I haven't been online with it since last week, it was pretty spotty for me then.

Phreak47

Gahhh... I was supposed to get my T300RS wheel from Amazon today, but I knew last night it wasn't going to happen when it hadn't shipped yet. Now they've notified me it's not in stock. Kept the order open but I'm tempted to try to find it elsewhere.

Newegg claims it is in stock so I just canceled my Amazon order and ordered there. Hope that's actually true and if they have it at their hub near me then I'll be lucky (almost always just one day when it comes from there).

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Yeah, that was me. TJP is looking to join and one or two other people showed interest (I couldn't see lamby's request anymore :( ) so after checking the guy's most recently played and didn't see DC anywhere, got rid of 'im. No probs having a low-leveller in there, but only if they're willing to contribute. Times is tough!

Was L8 when he joined too, BTW.

All good, get rid of the slackers. I sent Lamby the invite so you wouldn't have seen a request. ;^)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
BsO1K1W.jpg

[screams externally]

I don't even want to imagine the Hennessy hot lap... fuck.

Random challenges seem to pop up every now and then. Sometimes they do, sometimes they do. Or do they only appear on the hotlaps?

Also, if anyone is looking for a club, i_max and I are looking for some members. We both were put in the same group in the original thread but haven't heard from anyone else. We're US East, but I dunno if it matters anymore at this point. If you're looking for one, send me or I_max a PM or message on PSN and we'll hook you up.

TEH-CJ

Banned
OOC have you driven a bac mono or the Ariel atom? Can you speak to their accuracy?

Or any cars if you have the time to post em. Would like to hear the comparison.

Nope I have driven those cars you mentioned.

Cars I have driven around a track and street.

Ferrari 430 -
Ferrari 458 -
BMW M3 GTR-
Mercedes SLS
Mercedes C63 Black series
Audi R8

and lots of imports but they are not in the game :p

Most of them are pretty accurate in terms of tone, but lack the clarify of the real cars. Or they just sound compressed in comparison. I think most of it has a lot to do with the sound mixing. its bad.

I hope we get a patch soon.

hamchan

How's the game been holding up online for our crew? I haven't been online with it since last week, it was pretty spotty for me then.

Gosh I sure hope we still don't have that 6th spot in our club empty. I've stopped playing since I reached 224 stars. Will play again when I can be sure the leaderboards work properly.

Kumubou

Hrm... has anyone managed to get Club Accolades yet? I just saw them pop up for the first time tonight, and apparently earning them gives a permanent bonus to fame gained? Haven't earned any myself -- I've had them load a couple of times, but it doesn't seem like they're being tracked properly.

Also, it looks like the Rack Em Up, Knock Em Down trophy requires you to beat three target times in the same time trial -- but not at once. It takes a while for the ghost data to download but I was able to get it consistently enough to actually unlock this trophy.

Exactly, Spot on. Couldn't find the appropriate word to use. The cars sound digital.

IThey give me the feeling that Polyphony's sounds give me. I guess I was just spoiled by PGR.

I've yet to hear a car game that nails the sound as much as PGR.

A few examples of the cars I have heard in real life

Honda S2000

Ferrari F430 Scuderia

I think that there is some kind of filter in the Driveclub engine sounds that make them sound somewhat off pitch.

Stillmatic

Gosh I sure hope we still don't have that 6th spot in our club empty. I've stopped playing since I reached 224 stars. Will play again when I can be sure the leaderboards work properly.

Hmm, is it Stackboy left to accept? Pretty sure I've sent him a couple of invites, maybe he's waiting on the PS+ edition? I haven't heard anything anyway. :/

Shaneus

IThey give me the feeling that Polyphony's sounds give me. I guess I was just spoiled by PGR.

Nick Wiswell (who now works at Turn 10) did the sound for that (and I'm pretty sure every other PGR/MSR title). Can you compare them to, say, FM5? Curious to know if there's much of a difference.

Nick Wiswell (who now works at Turn 10) did the sound for that (and I'm pretty sure every other PGR/MSR title). Can you compare them to, say, FM5? Curious to know if there's much of a difference.

Yes, there is a difference. I've sat down with FM5 and I noticed that it's amplified too much. I think that's what Turn 10 wanted with their sound.

Now, I'm not here to start a war, I just want to talk about the sounds of these games.

PGR 4's engine sounds are some of the most natural sounds I've heard. The problem with most racing games is that they make the engines sound a bit too pure. Some cars just lose their throatiness. You'll be surprised how grumble-ly some cars sound when they're being driven hard or are reaching high RPM's. I was driving a Chevy Cruze RS through SF, and while going up the hills, hearing the exhaust was so interesting coming from a car that has such good fuel economy.

I think one problem is the sectioning of specific engines. There is basically a chart.

V10 sounds like a V10

V8 sounds like a V8

V6 sounds like a V6

IL4 sounds like a IL4 and so on....

Many games are known to pool specific engines to a sound that sounds similar instead of capturing it authentically. They then manipulate the sound a-bit to make it sound more authentic, but they all have the same basis. Similar case. Lexus IS300 and Modern Toyota Camry. Both have V6 engine, therefor they'll have the same basic sound. I understand that it's mainly used to save money, but in a racing game, to me, sound is crucial. Nothing better than hearing a car in real life and being able to say 'holy shit, that sounds just like this or that!'

Hugstable

Banned
Yee our club is gonna be hitting 17 sometime soon! Glad to see the clubs points getting added is working much more consistently now, but I still haven't had much luck playing online. I seem to be getting some Face/offs every once in a while too, but sometimes they have gone away and I don't get any. Good to see a few things working better today though.

Niks

Most of them are pretty accurate in terms of tone, but lack the clarify of the real cars. Or they just sound compressed in comparison. I think most of it has a lot to do with the sound mixing. its bad.

I hope we get a patch soon.

Agreed. There something weird going on with the audio... Sometimes I hear the other cars engine louder than my own. (5.1 setup)

benzy

Honda S2000

Ferrari F430 Scuderia

I think that there is some kind of filter in the Driveclub engine sounds that make them sound somewhat off pitch.

Yeah, DC's engine sounds, and this is more noticeable on some cars than others, sort of have this microphone fuzz background noise/filter that makes it so you can tell it was a captured audio file depending on the view. Still, they're pretty accurate sounds, just needs a little cleaning up. Here's another DriveClub comparison for the 458 Italia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpxKor9IZoQ

The cockpit sounds of the 458 in Asseto Corsa sounds a bit more realistic though (best representation I've heard in a game): AC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfTXhpCzmoU vs the DC/real life comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpxKor9IZoQ&t=1m0s

As for the PGR4 sounds, I drive an s2000 daily and while the PGR sound is pretty good, that's not how it sounds when I'm driving. It sounds like they removed the airbox then captured the engine notes within the hood to get a clearer sound, but that's not how the notes sound when you're in cockpit even with the top down.

pgr4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTtPOFdGSo0&list=UU3DXyssE3ebt-zXST7mWR5Q

real - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0mpvfO2vEs&t=0m25s

Shaneus

Yes, there is a difference. I've sat down with FM5 and I noticed that it's amplified too much. I think that's what Turn 10 wanted with their sound.

Now, I'm not here to start a war, I just want to talk about the sounds of these games.

PGR 4's engine sounds are some of the most natural sounds I've heard. The problem with most racing games is that they make the engines sound a bit too pure. Some cars just lose their throatiness. You'll be surprised how grumble-ly some cars sound when they're being driven hard or are reaching high RPM's. I was driving a Chevy Cruze RS through SF, and while going up the hills, hearing the exhaust was so interesting coming from a car that has such good fuel economy.

I think one problem is the sectioning of specific engines. There is basically a chart.

V10 sounds like a V10

V8 sounds like a V8

V6 sounds like a V6

IL4 sounds like a IL4 and so on....

Many games are known to pool specific engines to a sound that sounds similar instead of capturing it authentically. They then manipulate the sound a-bit to make it sound more authentic, but they all have the same basis. Similar case. Lexus IS300 and Modern Toyota Camry. Both have V6 engine, therefor they'll have the same basic sound. I understand that it's mainly used to save money, but in a racing game, to me, sound is crucial. Nothing better than hearing a car in real life and being able to say 'holy shit, that sounds just like this or that!'
Hey, start a war if you want, I love sound talk for car games! I tend to agree with PGR4, although I haven't experienced FM5 or Horizon 2 so I can't comment. I'm in the same boat re: DC as well... I know the cars sound accurate and were recorded with 7 microphones etc., but there's something that's missing in them. Kind of like you can hear how they've been recorded on a dyno, as if there's no sense of road noise or reverb from the road (I believe tunnels have it, though), that sort of thing. Some of it may be in the way vibration is handled, too. I've noticed that is far more skint than I was expecting, and I have a feeling some of my appreciation of the sound usage in PGR4 was from having the lower engine rumbles mapped to the 360 pad's motors.

I guess there's also something to be said about not putting the cars under load or accurately modelling that in the game. The cars very much sound like they're driven on a flat road regardless of if you're going up or downhill, despite the fact they don't feel like it. That would probably require MORE recording of those cars in different situations, but surely there's some kind of mathematical filter they can apply to slightly lower the tone of the engine when going up an incline.

Blah, words.

Shaneus

Who's the highest in our group at the moment?

Say my name bitch, SAY MY NAME! ;^)
Some Kiwi bastard ;)

Did I really put a smiley face there? Totally unintended, makes me look like I'm some kind of proud underachiever. Need to farms me some points post-haste.

As for the PGR4 sounds, I drive an s2000 daily and while the PGR sound is pretty good, that's not how it sounds when I'm driving. It sounds like they removed the airbox then captured the engine notes within the hood to get a clearer sound, but that's not how the notes sound when you're in cockpit even with the top down.

Yeah, the S2000 is pretty smooth when you're in the cockpit. The PGR video sounds good, but the pitch started getting unruly when in the higher RPMS, so there is definitely the possibility that they captured the sounds from under the hood.

I think that PGR captures many of the cars in the game well. The Scuderia is orgasmic as it sounds in real life. I would fire up that game just to race it through a few tunnels with my speakers blasting, but the house would be shaking.

Hey, start a war if you want, I love sound talk for car games! I tend to agree with PGR4, although I haven't experienced FM5 or Horizon 2 so I can't comment. I'm in the same boat re: DC as well... I know the cars sound accurate and were recorded with 7 microphones etc., but there's something that's missing in them. Kind of like you can hear how they've been recorded on a dyno, as if there's no sense of road noise or reverb from the road (I believe tunnels have it, though), that sort of thing.

I guess there's also something to be said about not putting the cars under load or accurately modelling that in the game. The cars very much sound like they're driven on a flat road regardless of if you're going up or downhill, despite the fact they don't feel like it. That would probably require MORE recording of those cars in different situations, but surely there's some kind of mathematical filter they can apply to slightly lower the tone of the engine when going up an incline.

Blah, words.

Yeah, I feel as if they're missing the true imperfections in some car sounds. The Mercedes is probably the best sounding car, though it does needs some work on the sound. It's odd how the backfires sound so much better than the car itsself. Those are some of the most accurate backfires I've heard from agame, along with the tire squealing too. Hear for yourself.

The game sounds good, but there just needs to be more layers to the engine sound itself.

benzy

I think that PGR captures many of the cars in the game well. The Scuderia is orgasmic as it sounds in real life. I would fire up that game just to race it through a few tunnels with my speakers blasting, but the house would be shaking.

I've never heard a Scuderia in real life so I can't compare. You're lucky. :p
PGR4 is still my number one favorite racer from last gen though. RIP Bizarre.

Top Bottom