• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

ryseing

Usually I get bored of games pretty easily, which is not necessarily a bad thing. After maybe 10 hours or so I'm usually done and can look back fondly and say if the game was great or not. But this game got me hooked bad. Just started Semi-Pro in Tour mode with 89 stars yet I'm at level 30. There's just more and more things to enjoy in this game. I've never liked long races but now using 10 laps not only gives me plenty of fame but you really get more familiar with nuances of track and the car you're using.

I was expecting a gorgeous racer that pulls me in with the scenery and presentation and that's it. But the car handling and track design is arguably the best it's ever been done. It's easy enough to jump in any car (especially the high powered ones) yet have enough nuances to be compared to sim racers like GT and Forza.

DriveClub 2 needs to happen. Evo made a classic racer.

Absolutely. The handling, especially on the higher end cars, is nothing short of fantastic. If I screw up, it's because of something I did, not as a result of me fighting the game.

I'm drooling at sequel possibilities.

Greg

It's a shame there's such little content in the tour mode, because I really like this game.
I don't understand this

you can literally drive any car on any track on any difficulty at any time of day - do you need the game to give you stars to feel like it's "content"?

I just had the best time with Drivclub yet, playing with my wife, my sister in law and her husband on my T500RS, taking turns and trying to beat each other's times in time trials on point to point courses. This game is awesome now that the faceoffs are working (first time for me.)

Liamc723

I don't understand this

you can literally drive any car on any track on any difficulty at any time of day - do you need the game to give you stars to feel like it's "content"?

No, but I like having a reason to do something.

The tour mode is the single player campaign, that is my main reason for buying the game. Not to drive a random car, on a random track, at a random time of day just because I can.

Greg

The tour mode is the single player campaign, that is my main reason for buying the game. Not to drive a random car, on a random track, at a random time of day just because I can.
there's a leaderboard full of reasons for every car and track combination

Ah. See that's exactly what I want to do so this is the perfect game for me.

v1lla21

Are the servers working on a regular basis at this point? I might actually buy this tomorrow....
Kind of wonky. I'd wait after the weekend if I were you. It was running perfectly, at least for online racing, this morning but it got wonky later in the day. I think Evo is working on the servers and they added more. We have accolades randomly working and the leaderboards too.

I don't understand this

I do. That you can choose whichever conditions you like and race feels like some kind of developer mode to me. It's like I have to do their work, choosing which car, which track, which time of day, weather conditions, etc I should race next. That's good for online (where ironically you are forced to play in whichever conditions the developer decided that day), but in offline play I want somebody to choose the order of the races based on some kind of criteria, easier and shorter races first, harder and longer races later, endurance races, difficult events that are somehow a challenge, etc and make it so that when I end tour mode, i feel like I have experienced with all the possibilities the game can offer. Like developers did in the past, when games didn't have online modes and single player campaign was 'the game' and not just a subproduct.

To me, having to choose everything, is like if I were to play resident evil and there was no story mode, and there was just a list of levels where i could choose the number of zombies, the amount of bosses, etc and play them however I like. Would you rather play that than a game with a story? I wouldnt.

there's a leaderboard full of reasons for every car and track combination

You can't pretend they're the same thing. Tour modes (should) provide the player with handcrafted, well-designed instances that showcase the game and progress in difficulty, options and variation; more importantly, instant gratification and carrots-on-sticks give you a reason to jump in and play without having to muster up the motivation to do so yourself. And that's a good thing, because the developer knows how to get the best out of their own game and how to make you keep on wanting to play.

This distinction might not be important to you, as you enjoy setting your own goals and "stars" through trial and error, but it's a pretty fundamental cornerstone of gaming motivation.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Is there a DC friends list builder thread?

Add Driveclub-GAF to your friends list.

Was doing a few races in multiplayer, doing OK.

Last race, point to point, I was in second place, right as I was about to cross the finish line, the server kicks me off.

GodofWine

I was 'that guy ' tonight, did a MP race after taking forever to do the Ruf gt time challenge event, started in second, totally spun out the first place guy (by mistake) and then just ran away for the win.

Leaderboards still piss me off, when the board says your time is 3:28 but you are racing your own ghost with a time of 3:21, somethings not quite right. :)

psn

It's a shame there's such little content in the tour mode, because I really like this game.

Feel like this, too. Sure, you can set up your own race. But I loved reaching those little goals...

And I want private servers in multiplayers pls... That has to be in a game day 1..

dano1

A Sheep
Feel like this, too. Sure, you can set up your own race. But I loved reaching those little goals...

And I want private servers in multiplayers pls... That has to be in a game day 1..
Season pass almost tripples it.

EGOMON

Finally I beat the Venom Hot Lap out of happiness I decided to improve my time and to my shock I managed to beat my time 3 times successively I went from 15.9 to 15.6 and I know I can do better now an 2nd in my friends list, "Coffer" am coming for you :)
I think he is a gaffer

Withnail

Does this mean we are due a free car and track next week? Or are we assuming DLC plans have been delayed due to the ongoing server problems?

15012015800_59e678b7db_b.jpg

bombshell

Does this mean we are due a free car and track next week? Or are we assuming DLC plans have been delayed due to the ongoing server problems?

We already have the October free car, Mercedes AMG-GT.

The free track is cutting it a bit close now, so may have been pushed until servers are completely fixed.

We received the car. It's a Mercedes, you can find it on the activity list when you press down on the PS4 homepage when highlighting Driveclub.

Withnail

We already have the October free car, Mercedes AMG-GT.

The free track is cutting it a bit close now, so may have been pushed until servers are completely fixed.

OK thanks. I thought the Merc was a pre-order bonus.

Yeah cutting it a bit fine on the track but who knows.

Mullah88

So why doesn't the driver stats keep record of wins/losses, dnf, quits and disconnects? Sigh so the purpose of this game is just to farm points for clubs (Lvl 28 club mind you) and challenge other players/clubs?

At the very least I hope they add club win/loss stats for club challenges

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just had the best time with Drivclub yet, playing with my wife, my sister in law and her husband on my T500RS, taking turns and trying to beat each other's times in time trials on point to point courses. This game is awesome now that the faceoffs are working (first time for me.)

How is the wheel with DC?

Haha. Get fucked. Can someone please tell me how racing games work online? I just got spun out in second place in the most unjust way possible. It just seems like it comes down to who can cheat legally the best.

How do other racing games deal with this? It's an absolute joke.

Haha. Get fucked. Can someone please tell me how racing games work online? I just got spun out in second place in the most unjust way possible. It just seems like it comes down to who can cheat legally the best.

Cars in DC are much more tail happy than many others I've played.

The looseness at the rear end makes it very easy to be spun or spin someone out.

And people love to block and spin in this game.

I think the other problem is a lack of actual road space.

MJLord

They don't normally. If you put something in place it tends to work too well and stops people from jostling, or it sporadically works which means you're back to square one.

Bizarre. I've never played a racer online before, so I'm very much new to it all. Kinda seems as if you're basically subscribing to shitty tactics completely against the spirit of the game, but I guess it's a unique problem that can't easily be governed.

Moozo

Have they put endurance races permanently in the rotation yet? That's the best way to avoid the idiots, they can't concentrate for that long

Top Bottom