• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Famassu

Ohhhh. Noticed it was especially dodgy just now, figured something must be up. Is the update out yet?

Edit: Those faceoffs are more likely bugs than cheating, I doubt very much anyone's found a way to glitch this game... especially in light of the server issues.
Yes, the firmware update is up, though Youtube & Custom Themes are only coming with the Store update and aren't fully part of the update.

So is there some known way of cheating with the average speed face-offs? Not that I'd want to cheat, but it just seems like it when pretty much every such face-off I've seen has had someone with, like, 7000km/h as their average speed. -_- Do people deliberately crash into walls somehow that causes this or something? Kind of takes the fun away from some of those speed face-offs. Oh well, at least the drifting & cornering face-offs are still good.

I belief that it's a glitch that accounts someone's drift score as an average speed face-off. Evolution said they're looking into it.

i_max

Neo Member
It went up on Amazon for preorder (to release on Oct 17th), but that day came and went. I haven't heard anyone who actually got one shipped from Amazon.

I bought mine from Newegg was delivered Friday, its a pretty decent wheel, the pedals are another matter altogether though.

I had a G27 before this, and its pedals are better then what comes with the T300. Great wheel for this game though.

EGOMON

Just used the SharePlay to help my brother with the Venom Hot Lap and am really impressed also it helps we are in the same area but still amazing feature almost no input lag

AndyD

aka andydumi
SO MUCH BETTER WITH CUSTOM MUSICS

Any word on the other updates? I am pining for Replay and Weather.

I don't imagine we will see anything until they fix the other issues. If they start releasing patches and DLC before they get everything squared away and the PS+ edition released there will be a lot of criticism. I also imagine they might delay the whole "season of DLC" by a month or so since they are so far behind on basic features.

dano1

A Sheep
This game is two games in one. Online races are so good when everyone try's to drive clean. And then the destruction derby game that I didn't know was included. And I must say both are fun to play.

It's kind of fun road rage:)

Fenzer

This game is two games in one. Online races are so good when everyone try's to drive clean. And then the destruction derby game that I didn't know was included. And I must say both are fun to play.

Except the destruction derby doesn't get you any reputation points :(

Mullah88

I agree it's really hard to play clean, you have to go out of your way to do so. I believe the game was meant to be played both ways. I always start out clean but once my spidey senses starts tingling that someone is about to spin me out then the dirty fun part begins.

-Amon-

There are some indicators that can help you to understand what's going to happen, at least in my experience with this game.

Circuit racing is usually cleaner. The track is wider and considering that every event is made from different laps on the same tracks, it's much easier to be in a group that knows the track well. So it's more difficult to see unwanted incidents that often turn honest drivers in omicidial maniacs. Usually in these kind of the events only professional sons of bitches go destruction derby from the start.

Point to point racing is the place where everyone drives to kill you. The roads are narrower and even saints start the race knowing that someone is going to try to put them in a tree, so often they lose their sporty approach even before starting the race.

Team events tend to be cleaner too, becuase in this case only half of the drivers wants to play dirty on you.

Did not happen in the first days but now people are starting to be more aware of that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I agree it's really hard to play clean, you have to go out of your way to do so. I believe the game was meant to be played both ways. I always start out clean but once my spidey senses starts tingling that someone is about to spin me out then the dirty fun part begins.

The best part is when people try to fake out brake ahead of you. If you are in 4-5th you can closely watch the people ahead and see the attempts at faking each other out for the first turn. It's very satisfying when they take each other out and you cruise by. Awful when they go sideways and you are stuck t-boning them.

Handles like crap though.

I could barely finish a race the first times I tried it, but once you get the hang of it I think it's one of more fun cars to drive so far (I still have several cars to unlock). The fact that it's so easy to lose control and spin out in corners makes every race super tense.

New Facebook post:

Hi everyone,

We know we have been quiet over the last few days which was because we wanted to offer you news when it has a meaningful impact on your experience of DRIVECLUB. The feedback you offered has been invaluable to the team because it’s informed our updates to iron out the major issues affecting you as quickly as possible.

Our diagnostics show the majority of you are now able to get online and racing. This increased stability has meant that statistics and accolades are updating efficiently now, so hopefully you have been having fun boosting your fame and watching how you compare to your friends and other racers around the world.

Today we also released a server update to optimise multiplayer matchmaking so you will now be matched with more suitable players based on the type of internet connection you have, which means matchmaking should be more reliable. This update will also fix some bugs we had with clubs where some players couldn't join or leave a club.

Improvements continue to be made to the servers and our next significant game update will be released this week. This will boost connectivity and provide a better overall experience.

Thanks for your support and we will provide more news as soon as we have it.

barit

Damn, DriveClub with custom soundtrack is even more awesome. Listen to Paul Kalkbrenner - Berlin Calling OST while driving into the sunset is .. just ... beautiful. Love how the menu music automatically turns off when the MP3 player is running. All games should do that (looking at you Destiny/Bungie)

Hmm.

I was never that dark on the AI throughout the Tour mode, but after grinding away some Accolades in single events last night, the darkness has certainly descended.

There is nothing that screams BAD GAME DESIGN! more to me than when the Artificial "Intelligence" doesn't play by the game's own (quite strict) rules. I feel like Driveclub is all too happy to drift into the aggravating lane of AI insubordination, primarily because:

1. AI drivers will constantly ignore the racing line to jostle with you and even aggressively spin you out.

2. AI drivers have zero regard for obstacles and decceleration, especially when that obstacle is YOU.

I mean, the game has in place a very black-and-white, very flawed system that penalises you for love-tapping your opponent's behind, yet the very next second, you could be taking the nose of a Pagani right up the clacker at 300km/h, ruining you for the entire race. And let's not forget the icing on the shitcake here: you'll be penalised for that episode of supercar sodomy.

It's just doesn't make sense. The game wants you to exist in your own little bubble of 'sim racer with sim sensibilities', whilst everyone else on the track has carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want, seemingly to make the gameplay more "exciting" or whatever.

Anyway, I'm guessing this has probably been covered ad nauseum, but I just had to vent a little! Carry on.

Sweep14

The fact the match making is being fixed, I get the impression they are rewriting most of the net code...I hope years from now the real story comes out

Oh well, I'll be chasing venom hot laps tonight no matter what condition servers are in ;)

Pretty sure that this is exactly what they are doing : Rewriting their entire netcode for the game and that probably wasn't an easy decision to take.

I suppose that they greatly underestimated impact on the servers caused by the multiple social interactions happening on the game and realised, way too late, that their code would not be able to handle them correctly.

So... I had requested a Driveclub refund and I seem to have gotten my money back (49.99 in my PSN wallet)... but I still have the game. What's going on?

Shaneus

The fact the match making is being fixed, I get the impression they are rewriting most of the net code...I hope years from now the real story comes out

Oh well, I'll be chasing venom hot laps tonight no matter what condition servers are in ;)
Yeah, I think that's what it sounds like. Given everything is bit-by-bit and not "BOOM everything is fixed y'all" indicates a complete rewrite. Which must be bloody killing them.

So guessing it's not a "bug" or bit of errant code but just inefficient coding. Who knows, there may not even be a way to get everything working as advertised at all.

GoaThief

So... I had requested a Driveclub refund and I seem to have gotten my money back (49.99 in my PSN wallet)... but I still have the game. What's going on?
Can I ask how long you had it and how much of it you played?

Really want a refund myself and I am unsure if Sony will offer one to me. Pretty clear the online portion (ie; the core of this "social" racer) is utterly broken and will need to be completely rewritten, unacceptable in a full price premium product.

Sadly, even on the very rare occasions you can get into a multiplayer race it goes something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ECmvCL_gyo

Such a shame, if working and with some tweaks Driveclub could have been fantastic.

Someone beat me so I can best you.

8PjNh5.jpg

Really want a refund myself and I am unsure if Sony will offer one to me. Pretty clear the online portion (ie; the core of this "social" racer) is utterly broken and will need to be completely rewritten, unacceptable in a full price premium product.

Sadly, even on the very rare occasions you can get into a multiplayer race it goes something like this

Such a shame, if working and with some tweaks Driveclub could have been fantastic.

I bought it at launch and put in the refund request last week I believe. Played through about two tours and a bunch more single player races before holding off on the rest waiting for the multiplayer to come back...

Hugstable

Banned
How did you get a refund?

I connected Sony Support, and they denied it. They said it was because I'd "played the game". They then said I should contact Evolution Studios.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136376329&postcount=609

This is the second time I've seen this today, and I'm surprised since I thought they were doing it for everyone. They need a for sure policy for this game on whether you can or can't get a refund due to the games multiplayer component being broken.

Mullah88

never quit a race

How did you get a refund?

I connected Sony Support, and they denied it. They said it was because I'd "played the game". They then said I should contact Evolution Studios.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136376329&postcount=609

I contacted them on the 21st. Told them that the game's online just wasn't working and I didn't expect to pay full price for a half-functioning product. Lady was super nice and okay'd the request for me and told me it would take up to 7 days for the money to come back into my account. Entire thing took maybe 5 minutes.

I haven't connected online since Saturday but today it was the first time ever that I didn't get disconnected once and face offs consistently showed up. As soon as Evo patches unlocked club cars for offline, I'm good.

I don't have PS+ btw so I can't say anything about multiplayer races.

Man, I'm ready to get this game now that my obsession is over with Destiny. Can't support shoddy network play though, and really I feel like the game isn't complete without dynamic weather so kinda waiting on that.

Tempting to just get a $350 X1 bundle for SO and trade it in when I'm finished. Really slow on PS4 atm with fresh content. Time for Wiiu of X1 it seems, but I don't wanna cough up the dough.

Top Bottom