• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

v1lla21

Holy crap that guy Hydinaces in the Aston Martin was completely obnoxious.

Spent more time road raging than actually racing. Kind of glad to see that sort of player wipe out.
Lol only because I don't have it to record voice or else you would be able to hear me teelling Benzy to let's make the guy wipe out. Same with the race that followed. He was on our ass the whole time. I think I made him wipeout once but he ended up winning the race.

Had a revelation over the last few days for this game. I think I've finally stopped playing this like GT - get to the front and use the straights to create distance - and have started playing like old-school TOCA, biding my time and taking advantage of other drivers mistakes. Even been making real use of the mirrors and arrows to check where other cars are - something I rarely did in GT because it seemed to be more about beating the track than opponents, beating opponents was always done before the race by essentially setting up the fastest car.

I'd recommend to anyone who feels they are being unfairly attacked by AI opponents should use the arrow system, it really helps you get a feel for what's happening around you and you can make adjustments when you can see an "arrow" bombarding towards the rear of your car.

I'm sure I read Evolution have some old-school Codemasters guys there, because now I play it like TOCA Racedriver I am more successful.

Denur

Looking like it's updating leaderboards quicer/more accurately, too. You beat him by 2 seconds, yet are ranked 111 vs. his 47th a few days ago! Very interesting.
It sure is. With the leader boards now working from time to time, people are actually challenged by others to improve their times. With some other drivers' ghosts showing, a simple time trial feels even a bit like a race. I like it a lot.

farmerboy

I called Sony yesterday and explained to them the problems I'm still having with the game. The guy on the phone is very understanding and promptly issues a refund. So I of course delete the game from my HDD and move on with my life. Later today, more than 24 hours later, I get an email telling me that my refund was actually denied. Get on the chat line with CS and was given the same two corporate lines about Sony's refund policy, just repeated in a slightly different order. I still can't finish MP games consistently and the overall experience is a mess compared to what was promised. I like the game but hate supporting a product that isn't working as advertised. Sony can pretty much go fuck themselves at this point.

Feeling what your saying and this whole debacle has made me think a bit about the issuing of refunds. First of all, the inconsistency in refund policy is bullshit that has to stop. Its either yes or no right across the board. And personally, I think they should refund as a matter of good pr with the customer. Once everything is up and running (blind hope maybe?) that customer may very well come back if they were treated fairly in the first place.

However, and I'm playing devils advocate here, I think that Sony may not be entirely wrong in not providing refunds. The product works. Not very well by any stretch, but it works. I think in this situation the vendor has a right to repair the product to give you what you bought. They are endeavoring to do that, through patching, and we should eventually get what we paid for.

In the end though, they should refund. The customer is always a chance to come back if you don't piss them off in the first place.

barit

When this game is such a huge failure and disaster, how it comes that so many people still like it ? *shrug*

It only really affects those who waiting for the PS+ version, the rest of us playing a fun racer with great visuals and semi-optimal online experience.

I had a dream last night that they added one half of the weather effects, and that the other half would follow at a later date. The first two were rain and snow. After I woke up I said to myself, "Wait a minute, wtf other weather conditions are there?" Dammit Evo, even in my dreams you have me shaking my head.

FeiRR

Banned
I had a dream last night that they added one half of the weather effects, and that the other half would follow at a later date. The first two were rain and snow. After I woke up I said to myself, "Wait a minute, wtf other weather conditions are there?" Dammit Evo, even in my dreams you have me shaking my head.

Fog? I love driving in the fog
in real life.

Number45

T300RS delivery date changed from today... to an estimated November 22nd to December 1st. FUCK! :'(

Looking into maybe getting the T500RS instead.

Vindicator

Hey guys. The sound effects have improved with the latest patch. Cars idle are much louder and cars generally sound a lot better.

Some minor tweaks to the physics as well.

Anyone notice?

Yeah!

dccguol.gif

Shaneus

It sure is. With the leader boards now working from time to time, people are actually challenged by others to improve their times. With some other drivers' ghosts showing, a simple time trial feels even a bit like a race. I like it a lot.
Yeah, time trials with the dynamic ghosts are crack, just like I knew they would be.

Fucking love it. Makes manufacturer accolades go a LOT quicker, too.

just installed the latest driveclub and system update and since then i cant start the game without it crashing. i get this CE-34878-0 error code everytime. always happens on the evolution studios screen.

i deleted the game data, installed it again and was able to start the game just fine in version 1.0. but then i updated it to 1.05 again and the error came back.

anyone got an idea, what to do?

I have the exact same problem and can't start the goddamn game after patch 1.05

Brilliant stuff.

pixelbox

I wanted to be sure, but it looks like the AA has been beefed up and has way less flicker.
Was the physics tweak to make it more arcade or less?

Shaneus

I have the exact same problem and can't start the goddamn game after patch 1.05

Brilliant stuff.
Maybe there's something going on with this and the PSN update that forced users to do some kind of database rebuild or whatever. Maybe there's a way to force that rebuild manually? That might fix it.

I didn't have any issues with either PSN or the DC update so I wouldn't know, but it could be worth looking into.

leng jai

Excited to check out the audio tweaks.

Been playing Horizon and that game really does highlight a lot of Drive Club's flaws. The singe player is simply far more diverse, well rounded and has the "soul" that people keep harping on about. It's a seriously impressive overall package and very hard to fault. Having said that I still prefer Drive Club's visuals and just the feel/handling of driving. Drive Club still does that better, and for people who just want to race lap after lap it's a superior game.

Shaneus

I still think people are misplacing "soul" as merely having voice acting or some kind of character or theme in a game.

Pure sim-racers with bare-bones UI and zero sound direction have "no soul" (even then it could probably be argued). DC has a tightly-packaged theme and style to it that screams to me "get in, shut up and drive" without having to use a corny voiceover or some flimsy premise to motivate me.

DC's motivation is the racing. If a game does other things to motivate you on top of that, that's fine. But if people think a driving game lacks something because it doesn't have some kind of backstory or thin premise, then they weren't looking for a pure driving experience in the first place... perhaps they were looking for some other kind of game with driving as one of a number of features.

Been playing Horizon and that game really does highlight a lot of Drive Club's flaws. The singe player is simply far more diverse, well rounded and has the "soul" that people keep harping on about. It's a seriously impressive overall package and very hard to fault. Having said that I still prefer Drive Club's visuals and just the feel/handling of driving. Drive Club still does that better, and for people who just want to race lap after lap it's a superior game.
Pretty much my take to the letter, though I find DriveClub's soul to be found in its tracks.

leng jai

I still think people are misplacing "soul" as merely having voice acting or some kind of character or theme in a game.

Pure sim-racers with bare-bones UI and zero sound direction have "no soul" (even then it could probably be argued). DC has a tightly-packaged theme and style to it that screams to me "get in, shut up and drive" without having to use a corny voiceover or some flimsy premise to motivate me.

DC's motivation is the racing. If a game does other things to motivate you on top of that, that's fine. But if people think a driving game lacks something because it doesn't have some kind of backstory or thin premise, then they weren't looking for a pure driving experience in the first place... perhaps they were looking for some other kind of game with driving as one of a number of features.

The point of having soul or a prominent "theme" is to entice a wider range of people to play. That's precisely what makes Horizon so popular (while still being an extremely competent racer). The game just exudes the vibe of good times, has a stylised palette and a certain wanderlust with the open world aspect. It's not about whether a racer needs it essentially because as you said, for people just want to race without distractions then Drive Club will be right up their alley. DC's theme is "this is a racer, so race". There's nothing wrong with that except that it fails to capture as wide an audience as something like Horizon will. It's precisely why DC failed to review well because half the reviewers weren't that into racers in the first place.

For me I'm perfectly fine with what DC went for but I still think they could have fleshed out the "campaign" mode far more. The game is bare bones if you don't play online. DC produces magic on the track consistently but there's just something missing with the overall package.

I wanted to be sure, but it looks like the AA has been beefed up and has way less flicker.
Was the physics tweak to make it more arcade or less?
I don't think it is the case at all, I noticed same amount of shimmering, flickering etc.

Watched some old videos back to compare too. Trouble is, as I posted earlier, with everything so dynamic and the lighting changing the scene so dramatically it is hard to compare!

I can't say I noticed any physics changes either.

Many pure racing games have come and gone without leaving a trace.

Why does Daytona USA or Sega Rally fare well when Indy 500, Super GT 24HRS or Sega Touring Car Championship are practically forgotten?

There's a goofyiness to them the other games lacked, a soul even.

Nyx

Excited to check out the audio tweaks.

Fuck ''soul'', seriously.

When I'm driving 310 km/h on a P2P track in Scotland when the sun is going down by the 3rd lap, I've got everything I need.

I called Sony yesterday and explained to them the problems I'm still having with the game. The guy on the phone is very understanding and promptly issues a refund. So I of course delete the game from my HDD and move on with my life. Later today, more than 24 hours later, I get an email telling me that my refund was actually denied. Get on the chat line with CS and was given the same two corporate lines about Sony's refund policy, just repeated in a slightly different order. I still can't finish MP games consistently and the overall experience is a mess compared to what was promised. I like the game but hate supporting a product that isn't working as advertised. Sony can pretty much go fuck themselves at this point.

That's strange. I did the online chat yesterday and overnight got an email saying that my refund was approved. Even though the email said it would take 2-4 weeks to process the refund, the money is already back in my account today. Actually pleasantly surprised with how smoothly it went. There really should be some formal method to this process though, as of now it's just a crapshoot.

Hopefully things are sorted out in a couple of months, and then I'll definitely jump back in.

Fog? I love driving in the fog
in real life.

The Scottish tracks are calling out for it.

I always get the feeling that a pheasant might dart across the road when playing on the Scottish P2P's, I have seen it so many times in real life on those kinds of roads that I almost expect it to happen.

Other things I personally would look at implementing (maybe not for Driveclub but the engine in general) would be how to mimic differing humidity levels and heat haze.

For me I'm perfectly fine with what DC went for but I still think they could have fleshed out the "campaign" mode far more. The game is bare bones if you don't play online. DC produces magic on the track consistently but there's just something missing with the overall package.

This is not even close to being true. 15 hour Tour mode with 55 tracks all playable offline with day/night cycles, Time Trials, customizable races and drift mode. There is no less content here than most games.

Sure, if DC didn't remove the hashtag on the box cover and made you create a character the first time you boot the game up instead of racing it would definitely have more personality. But let's not misconstrued what's actually in the overall package. The lack of functional online doesn't take away the wealth of content the game provides offline.

Looks like that half the people posting screens are playing the game with black bars. :/

1. Make sure your TV is set to some sort of no scale setting.
2. Then make sure your PS4 is filling the screen:

If one of those isn't correct, you're effectively not playing in 1080p, adding blur and likely lag.

these are good:

these are all bad:

Goldrusher , i just wanted to say thanks ... i finally found out how to get into the advanced dispaly setting of my Tv to disable AUTO-zoom and i could then reposition my display settings on my PS4 ..

I guess i'm now in true 1080p now :)

FeiRR

Banned
just installed the latest driveclub and system update and since then i cant start the game without it crashing. i get this CE-34878-0 error code everytime. always happens on the evolution studios screen.

i deleted the game data, installed it again and was able to start the game just fine in version 1.0. but then i updated it to 1.05 again and the error came back.

anyone got an idea, what to do?

My game is still 1.04 even though I got the patch. It... disappeared? But how, it was already downloaded. So strange. At least I can run the game.

My game is still 1.04 even though I got the patch. It... disappeared? But how, it was already downloaded. So strange. At least I can run the game.

I think that if you've downloaded the patch , the "patch notes" just aren't loaded into your console. it kinda happens

DrKelpo

Banned

whaat? same for me, but the game still crashes :D well...let's just wait for the 1.06 patch^^

This is not even close to being true. 15 hour Tour mode with 55 tracks all playable offline with day/night cycles, Time Trials, customizable races and drift mode. There is no less content here than most games.

Sure, if DC didn't remove the hashtag on the box cover and made you create a character the first time you boot the game up instead of racing it would definitely have more personality. But let's not misconstrued what's actually in the overall package. The lack of functional online doesn't take away the wealth of content the game provides offline.

Honestly, I think a licence school, a car wash, and Dexter Fletcher telling you what fame points and challenges were would go a long way to hitting that elusive acceptable content amount.

i just thought "fuck it" and bought it yesterday. The staff in Game store looked at me like I had a penguin on my head when I took the case to the counter, but I'm very glad I did. Wow, just wow. Absolutely love this game. Sense of speed is incredible and the handling just feels 'right'. And she is a beauty in the looks department isnt she ?. The hybrid soundtrack is the icing on the cake. One happy bunny here.

HA driveclub .
I hit a point where i just stopped being able to continue the tour mode ( lack of stars ) and i went back to polish the earlier races/challenges:time attack.
Feels quite good

To see the races i couldn't manage to hit the requirements and then get it right is a nice satisfaction.

Club Lv 20 now, feels good to contribute to an overall goal

Shaneus

Many pure racing games have come and gone without leaving a trace.

Why does Daytona USA or Sega Rally fare well when Indy 500, Super GT 24HRS or Sega Touring Car Championship are practically forgotten?

There's a goofyiness to them the other games lacked, a soul even.
What soul does Daytona USA or Sega Rally have that, say, Daytona USA 2 doesn't?

leng jai is spot-on when he says there's a theme that appeals to a wider audience that includes things like announcers and a "story". I get that. But what the fuck is this "soul" wank that people keep going on about? If I asked a gamer what they think about "soul" in a driving game, they'd give me the same blank look as if I'd just asked them about the "personality" of a couch or "charisma" of a washing machine.

I guess it's just easier for a review to say a game doesn't have "soul" than to say it's theme/aesthetic doesn't appeal to everyone. And dock points for.

I requested a refund this morning and they denied it because of trophy count. I have 25% so I can understand it I guess but, I'm still angry that I paid for a broken product. Especially when I have zero confidence it will get fixed.

Live and learn...this is probably my last game bought off of PSN.

pixelbox

I don't think it is the case at all, I noticed same amount of shimmering, flickering etc.

Watched some old videos back to compare too. Trouble is, as I posted earlier, with everything so dynamic and the lighting changing the scene so dramatically it is hard to compare!

I can't say I noticed any physics changes either.
The shimmering is still there but no weird dots caused be post process aa. Things look smoother but there's still blur.

pixelbox

I requested a refund this morning and they denied it because of trophy count. I have 25% so I can understand it I guess but, I'm still angry that I paid for a broken product. Especially when I have zero confidence it will get fixed.

This is the wrong thread for that. Stop shitting this thread up with bitching.

Which makes no sense, since my trophy count is at 30%. Like I said, there seems to be no standard to these 'exceptions' that they're making.

Shaneus

The shimmering is still there but no weird dots caused be post process aa. Things look smoother but there's still blur.
I thought it looked smoother but couldn't be too sure. Something's definitely improved, but there are still obvious aliasing issues... maybe they're just not as prominent.

Top Bottom