• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

pixelbox

Interesting. This was my biggest issue with the IQ to begin with (though I couldn't notice it in motion).

I wonder if photo mode cleans it up further whenever it's out.
There's no more aa artifacts but you will notice shimmering. Before the patch you could be absolutely still and see shimmering and blinking white dots all over the stair stepped jaggies.

This is the wrong thread for that. Stop shitting this thread up with bitching.

I was replying to his post about a refund. Beyond that I think my only other posts in here were:

* Asking if challenges worked yet, as I was actually curious if I could try them when I got home that day.
* Telling someone looking for a club that the one I was in had slots open.

Go jump on someone else for hurting your feelings over your game. I was just talking to a dude. No need for your post at all.

Which makes no sense, since my trophy count is at 30%. Like I said, there seems to be no standard to these 'exceptions' that they're making.

Yeah, I don't get it. I guess it just depends on who you talk to.

pixelbox

I was replying to his post about a refund. Beyond that I think my only other posts in here were:

* Asking if challenges worked yet, as I was actually curious if I could try them when I got home that day.
* Telling someone looking for a club that the one I was in had slots open.

Go jump on someone else for hurting your feelings over your game. I was just talking to a dude. No need for your post at all.

Yeah, I don't get it. I guess it just depends on who you talk to.
My apologies.

What soul does Daytona USA or Sega Rally have that, say, Daytona USA 2 doesn't?

leng jai is spot-on when he says there's a theme that appeals to a wider audience that includes things like announcers and a "story". I get that. But what the fuck is this "soul" wank that people keep going on about? If I asked a gamer what they think about "soul" in a driving game, they'd give me the same blank look as if I'd just asked them about the "personality" of a couch or "charisma" of a washing machine.

I guess it's just easier for a review to say a game doesn't have "soul" than to say it's theme/aesthetic doesn't appeal to everyone. And dock points for.

I dunno, I don't make the games.

Memorable layouts, good atmosphere, visuals, music. No idea.

There have been games I've just not gelled with, even some ports - Saturn Daytona USA vs CCE. Something rubs me up the wrong way and the game feels off.

Wabba

Hey DriveclubGAF!
Seeing that there are no other car games that i want coming out in the next months, i want to buy Driveclub. The game looks fun and the graphics looks unbelievable. But the things that puts me of is that it looks a little low on content, and i don't think that i want to join any clubs is does things going to make the experience not so fun for me. And how is the online, completely broken or can you play a game from time to time?

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Can they add to watch or clock to the game. Sometimes I find some spectacular lighting and i'd have no idea what time it is.

Hey DriveclubGAF!
Seeing that there are no other car games that i want coming out in the next months, i want to buy Driveclub. The game looks fun and the graphics looks unbelievable. But the things that puts me of is that it looks a little low on content, and i don't think that i want to join any clubs is does things going to make the experience not so fun for me. And how is the online, completely broken or can you play a game from time to time?

I'm about 3 hours into the 'campaign' and theres a shit ton left to complete. Plus, the replay value IMO for this game is going to be quite big. trying to beat your own ghost / laptimes on this game never gets old as its such a pleasure to experience the tracks over and over again. I was bored to hell with Grid Autosport, but Driveclub feels fresh all the time. Multiplayer is still mostly broken, but it will be fixed at some point, and from what little I've played - when it works - its brilliant.

Nyx

Hey DriveclubGAF!

If you are the type that wants to beat his own times (and those of others) again and again, the game has 1000s of hours of content.

viveks86

Hey DriveclubGAF!

You can play MP from time to time. It's addictive fun when it works. But buy it only if you are sure you would like it. There will be quite a few frustrations that you would need to overlook to enjoy the core game (which is freaking awesome). Try shareplay with a friend so you can atleast get a hands on feel.

Jaxx

Banned
I requested a refund this morning and they denied it because of trophy count. I have 25% so I can understand it I guess but, I'm still angry that I paid for a broken product. Especially when I have zero confidence it will get fixed.

Live and learn...this is probably my last game bought off of PSN.

My trophy count was at 30 percent when my refund went through.

Wabba

You can play MP from time to time. It's addictive fun when it works. But buy it only if you are sure you would like it. There will be quite a few frustrations that you would need to overlook to enjoy the core game (which is freaking awesome). Try shareplay with a friend so you can atleast get a hands on feel.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I forgot about shareplay will definitely do that!

Jamesways

leng jai is spot-on when he says there's a theme that appeals to a wider audience that includes things like announcers and a "story". I get that. But what the fuck is this "soul" wank that people keep going on about? If I asked a gamer what they think about "soul" in a driving game, they'd give me the same blank look as if I'd just asked them about the "personality" of a couch or "charisma" of a washing machine.

I guess it's just easier for a review to say a game doesn't have "soul" than to say it's theme/aesthetic doesn't appeal to everyone. And dock points for.

I could see that "soul" aspect in regards to FH and FH2, they exhibit a festival attitude top to bottom (the first more so than the second), but that's more art style.
Really, in a racing game, what's the most important aspect? The racing and feel on track/roads. IMO, all of the other stuff is simply fluff. Sure, it adds stuff to do, but ultimately racing is what the focus should be for a game in the racing genre.

I'd disagree with DC having no "soul". The overall art style, music, and menus and presentation in general has it's own unique identity for me. It stands out for sure.
Strangely enough, as much as I loved PGR4, I never cared for the menus or presentation. Again, the on track aspects were the most important. But yeah, talk of a racing game's soul or romance is complete bullshittery IMO.

Race Pro was my favorite racer last gen, and it could be argued that it had no soul at all. Just cars and tracks, that's it. As barebones as it gets.

Anyway, DC needs more story, right? Here, this is for DC2 if we ever get it. Been working this up for a while...

Welcome to the tale of Maverick "Dac" McGovern. A tormented soul, racing for more than just fame (points). He's racing to forget, and to remember, to push to the edge since he has nothing to lose. Growing up in his father's garage, working on engines, studying his father's telemetry lap after lap, he's haunted by that fateful day when he lost his father in a questionable accident with his arch-rival Duke Slade.

Now, he runs the team and literally races with his father's ghost, guided by his kindly words while trying to subdue the burning desire for revenge.

He also races to win back the love of a scorned woman, Jane Wellington. After a bitter falling out over his alcoholism from his fathers death, she now spends races in Duke Slade's garage, yet often watches with a look of sadness and regret. Could there be blackmail involved? Does Slade know her terrible secret? Does Dac realize that the baby isn't his, but the
shotgun's?!?

-Help Dac find answers to his father's death, beat his father's rivals in the Driveclub Championship, and finally bring Slade to justice while winning back the love of his life.

-Customize your cars, inside and out. Add parts, paint, and dashboard items.
-Customize all the characters in the story, with added monthly DLC clothing packs. Free DLC Hat pack!
-Enjoy hours of interactive cutscene drama.
-Race in the lengthy Driveclub Championship* while choosing time of day, weather, and time progression.

*Additional racing to be patched in later, release content only 3 lap races in 5 environments (anything more is boring).

IGN Review-
Finally a racing game that realizes what's important in the genre!

+Great story
+Compelling characters
+Deep customization
+So much CGI cutscenes

-Not Open World
-Too much boring racing

9.5/10

Your welcome Rushy and fine folks at Evolution!

Synth

What soul does Daytona USA or Sega Rally have that, say, Daytona USA 2 doesn't?

If we could easily describe it, we'd call it something other than "soul". That term is being used because it's something that many people feel brings life and substance to a game, yet nobody can point to a single aspect of it and state why. It exists in pretty much any medium be it music, movies or paintings. People may say Disney's animated movies have soul, whilst many generic anime doesn't, even if the anime is technically more accomplished due to advancements over the years. You may look at the games as a sum of checklists or variables and think nothing more of it, but many other people don't. Someone else may consider a robot that looks and sounds enough like a human to be alive to them, whilst another person will still see them as robotic... without being able to tell you why that is. If everyone knew, every game would be loved, because it'd simply be made as part of the spec.

And it's not simply about having a story or "festival theme" or whatever. The Metropolis Street Racer and Project Gotham Racing games had more soul than pretty much any other racer ever made in my opinion.. yet the conceptually similar Driveclub lacks that for me, and I feel that Horizon 2 is much closer in that regard despite being a different type of racer at the gameplay level. I can't tell you why... but I definitely can notice a difference.

Jamesways

Haha nice one Jamesways.

I wouldn't buy DC2 in that state though. ;)

Oh god, neither would I!

Give me barebones racing any day.

Can't wait to see reviews of the big outlets when pCARS hits. "That's it, just pick a car and drive?! Where's the grinding?"
2/10

Welcome to the tale of Maverick "Dac" McGovern. A tormented soul, racing for more than just fame (points). He's racing to forget, and to remember, to push to the edge since he has nothing to lose. Growing up in his father's garage, working on engines, studying his father's telemetry lap after lap, he's haunted by that fateful day when he lost his father in a questionable accident with his arch-rival Duke Slade.

Now, he runs the team and literally races with his father's ghost, guided by his kindly words while trying to subdue the burning desire for revenge.

He also races to win back the love of a scorned woman, Jane Wellington. After a bitter falling out over his alcoholism from his fathers death, she now spends races in Duke Slade's garage, yet often watches with a look of sadness and regret. Could there be blackmail involved? Does Slade know her terrible secret? Does Dac realize that the baby isn't his, but the shotgun's?!?

-Help Dac find answers to his father's death, beat his father's rivals in the Driveclub Championship, and finally bring Slade to justice while winning back the love of his life.
ibeyup0Sdo6MRD.gif

On the soul question - does this lack of soul apply to all of Evolution's games or just DriveClub? Outside of Motorstorm: Apocalypse they've all had the same basic structure - one used by most racing games - unlock a new race series, select an event and a vehicle from the choices provided, and then race. The difference with Apocalypse is that there were pretty horrible motion comics providing "context".

So yeah, is this a criticism of Evolution on the whole, or just DriveClub? And if its just aimed at DriveClub, why now and with this game?

I considered this game a stopgap while we wait for GT7 & PCars in the first place, so maybe my expectations were low as shit to begin with, but I'll say again: good graphics, good audio, great lighting, great sense of speed, lots of fast, fun tracks and plenty of fun cars, with more to come. I've enjoyed my time with it immensely despite the bullshit.

Synth

On the soul question - does this lack of soul apply to all of Evolution's games or just DriveClub? Outside of Motorstorm: Apocalypse they've all had the same basic structure - one used by most racing games - unlock a new race series, select an event and a vehicle from the choices provided, and then race. The difference with Apocalypse is that there were pretty horrible motion comics providing "context".

So yeah, is this a criticism of Evolution on the whole, or just DriveClub? And if its just aimed at DriveClub, why now and with this game?

For me, only Driveclub. Additionally I'd class the first Motorstorm as the one that exuded a "soul" the most, and Pacific Rift (whilst still great) the least. Why? Couldn't tell you, but the motion comics in Apocalypse definitely had nothing to do with it placing above Pacific Rift (which mechanically was probably the most impressive).

Fuel gauge doesn't :p
OK, that makes sense. Would be pretty hilarious and sobering for most of those cars if they did.

For me, only Driveclub. Additionally I'd class the first Motorstorm as the one that exuded a "soul" the most, and Pacific Rift (whilst still great) the least. Why? Couldn't tell you, but the motion comics in Apocalypse definitely had nothing to do with it placing above Pacific Rift (which mechanically was probably the most impressive).
Then I wonder whether Shaneus already solved this riddle.

Synth

OK, that makes sense. Would be pretty hilarious and sobering for most of those cars if they did.

Then I wonder whether Shaneus already solved this riddle.

Perhaps, but as with the Disney example I gave before (and something I'm certain is factored heavily in many Nintendo offerings), I definitely would factor it into many reviews I would give about a movie or music or games. It becomes pretty difficult to determine what you actually can score, and what you simply list as a matter of opinion. Does TDU2 not handle well, or is it simply not for everyone? Before we know it, we're giving Duke Nukem Forever's decent ratings because we can't be opinionated about anything that isn't a hard statistic (which funnily enough is one of the most prominent complaints about Driveclub reviews, due to comments about content or features).

R&R

I feel bad about complaining all the time but the servers have been complete shit today...can't seem to get even a single race going.

If anything 1.05 version made online worse...at least for me =(

Jindrax

Hey guys? Is the multiplayer just not working or does nobody play this game anymore?
I mean I choose multiplayer on the main menu, then you have to "register" for an event... Nobody ever joins? I've never even seen anyone else in one of the events?

viveks86

I mean I choose multiplayer on the main menu, then you have to "register" for an event... Nobody ever joins? I've never even seen anyone else in one of the events?

What do you mean by that? Once the event counts down to 0:00, it will sync with lobby and matchmake you with others online. Can you post some screens on what you are experiencing?

Is there a list of what the update did? Cause server wise things dind't improve for me.

Edit: story talk? Thank god it's just a hardcore dedicated racer.

And it's not simply about having a story or "festival theme" or whatever. The Metropolis Street Racer and Project Gotham Racing games had more soul than pretty much any other racer ever made in my opinion.. yet the conceptually similar Driveclub lacks that for me, and I feel that Horizon 2 is much closer in that regard despite being a different type of racer at the gameplay level. I can't tell you why... but I definitely can notice a difference.

Can't agree with MSR, as much as I liked it I found the lifeless cities too weird, some real langoliers shit.

As we approach more realistic environments maybe there's an expectation of them to be richly populated or tingle all the same senses real life would.

Synth

Can't agree with MSR, as much as I liked it I found the lifeless cities too weird, some real langoliers shit.

You know what... you're right lol. I tend to always group the two series together whenever I mention one. I also don't really recall much of PGR1.. so I guess I'm referring to PGR2-4 really.

Thing is though, is that I don't think there was any population until PGR3 though, so I'm not sure what the difference is. I did like the various radio stations in MSR though, and how the ingame time was synced to that of the real world. Made essentially every Japanese race night time for me, but it was still cool.

GoaThief

I feel bad about complaining all the time but the servers have been complete shit today...can't seem to get even a single race going.

If anything 1.05 version made online worse...at least for me =(
I do not believe you should feel bad about complaining when there are issues, and Driveclub has more than any game I've seen in some time.

Patch hasn't made any noticeable difference my end, and has introduced some new things like the grid timer counting down then nobody (except maybe one on the odd occasion) being able to move. I hadn't been booted after crossing the line before either, I always made the payout screen then lagged out afterwards but I may have been lucky there.

I do not believe you should feel bad about complaining when there are issues, and Driveclub has more than any game I've seen in some time.

Patch hasn't made any noticeable difference my end, and has introduced some new things like the grid timer counting down then nobody (except maybe one on the odd occasion) being able to move. I hadn't been booted after crossing the line before either, I always made the payout screen then lagged out afterwards but I may have been lucky there.
All that stuff happened prior to the patch, and its all server/connection related.

It is bad syncing and lag and all the rest of it. But thankfully, it is handled quite well within the game in terms of not affecting the racing you engage in. What a mess it would be if it didn't.

The patches thus far are only efficiency savings that will reduce load, but remember it is running at capacity - so all they're probably serving to do is to allow more people in.

I reckon we'll get a whopper of an update sometime soon that is a complete reworking and will be the switch flipping we need with the earlier patches being just quick gains they could easily make.

At least I hope so.

RS4-

quick question, the livery editor, is it as uhh, robust as Forza's?

Can I maniuplate shapes, etc or is it just one of those rotate, resize, paste kind of things.

le-seb

quick question, the livery editor, is it as uhh, robust as Forza's?

Can I maniuplate shapes, etc or is it just one of those rotate, resize, paste kind of things.
Nope, it's ultra simplistic.
Three or four shape layers, you can resize them and change colours, and that's it.
Enough to make a club logo, but nothing allowing you to make full liveries like in Forza.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Three or four shape layers, you can resize them and change colours, and that's it.
Enough to make a club logo, but nothing allowing you to make full liveries like in Forza.

Bah that sucks. Wanted to pick up the game + ps4 and do something creative lol.

Thanks.

Indeed. But it does offer tons and tons of premade patterns and a number of stickers and numbers that can be used and combined and so ultimately there is a huge amount of variety possible for cars. Far more patterns than I have seen in any game that did not have a full editor a la Forza.

On that note, I wish they would have rare unique unlockable liveries for each car. Maybe set up challenges for each car and the reward should be a unique livery for that car only, not a universal pattern like we get now.

Wait, you can resize the shapes and do layers? What the hell? How?

Shaneus

Does TDU2 not handle well, or is it simply not for everyone?
I just want to know why we couldn't get this rather than this "soul" b/s that reviewers have been spinning. Their job is to come up with reasons why we should or shouldn't buy something, be eloquent and thorough about it.

"The vibe" or "soul" is just pissweak. When people to use it in this thread/forum when comparing it to Horizon 2, I pretty much know what they mean, but I'm pushing for them to be specific... to actually think about why they don't like something rather than just "I don't like it". When it's used in reviews, reviewers should not get a free pass for using such vague, bullshit buzzwords in the slightest. Because it gives people an excuse to dismiss the game right away without working out why they don't like it.

I know if I don't like a game but can't figure out why, I normally stick with it and wind up enjoying it. Shit, I was the same with the original Horizon.

For every person who says "it doesn't have soul", you'll always at least have the same three or four people (including me) saying why we think it does, trying to interpret what said poster means by it. But like I said, "professional" reviews shouldn't have that luxury. You wouldn't have let Roger Ebert get away with reviewing a movie by saying it's "meh" and giving it a 6/10. I see this "soul" thing as not being that much different.

Wait, you can resize the shapes and do layers? What the hell? How?
I think he means the club logos?

le-seb

Yup, I was thinking of the club logo editor, which is the thing offering the most creative freedom in the game.
I should have added for completeness that car liveries are limited to selecting a design, customizing colours, adding (or not) the club logo, and adding (or not) a racing number.
Which is far far away from what's offered in FM, not even questionable.

Synth

I just want to know why we couldn't get this rather than this "soul" b/s that reviewers have been spinning. Their job is to come up with reasons why we should or shouldn't buy something, be eloquent and thorough about it.

"The vibe" or "soul" is just pissweak. When people to use it in this thread/forum when comparing it to Horizon 2, I pretty much know what they mean, but I'm pushing for them to be specific... to actually think about why they don't like something rather than just "I don't like it". When it's used in reviews, reviewers should not get a free pass for using such vague, bullshit buzzwords in the slightest. Because it gives people an excuse to dismiss the game right away without working out why they don't like it.

I know if I don't like a game but can't figure out why, I normally stick with it and wind up enjoying it. Shit, I was the same with the original Horizon.

For every person who says "it doesn't have soul", you'll always at least have the same three or four people (including me) saying why we think it does, trying to interpret what said poster means by it. But like I said, "professional" reviews shouldn't have that luxury. You wouldn't have let Roger Ebert get away with reviewing a movie by saying it's "meh" and giving it a 6/10. I see this "soul" thing as not being that much different.

So now, why do you like Horizon? You didn't elaborate on that. What changed, and what would you have told me if you didn't end up enjoying it anyway?

There are things I've disliked for a long time without being able to fully explain why, and vice-versa. I get that a reviewer should do their best to quantify any complaints they have, but some things are just really fucking difficult to put into words. I couldn't tell you why I don't like marmite. I understand someone else might, but I'm not about to give it a good review simply because I can't put my dislike of it into words. I don't know why I find Daytona USA's handling to be better than Ridge Racer's (and every other racing game's), I'd tell you that the great feel of driving the car is one of the reasons why I'm scoring it highly, but can't explain what "great feel of the car" ends up actually meaning... especially in comparison to similar games such as Outrun 2 or even Daytona USA 2. I don't know why I find Wipeout 2097 and Wip3out's graphical style to be basically flawless, yet not Wipeout HD's. Maybe this just means I shouldn't be a reviewer.. but if I was, I would only be able to tell you that I do like these things, whilst expanding more on areas which have more concrete reasons for me liking them or not. If reviewers were able to describe everything that makes a game enjoyable or not, they probably wouldn't be games reviewers. They'd be insanely rich games designers, and probably still wouldn't tell you the details.

"I didn't really like this. It may not be for everyone, but some of you out there may love it. 10/10!" doesn't make much sense to me, as it can be applied to any game. There's almost nothing out there that somebody won't love. My review is only going to tell you what I think of it, rather than accommodating for all those that may potentially disagree with me.

I've lapped about six people tonight in 5 lap races with Hyper cars. Must be a load of new players or because it is Friday night but it is crazy out there with cars flying everywhere.

Be careful :p

Top Bottom