• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Number45

Had a quick go with the wheel this evening. Learning:

- a new game
- to use a wheel in a game
- sequential gears
- manual transmission (ssh, I know)

All at once is seemingly more than my tiny brain can handle at once. For the first several races, muscle memory told me to PRESS BUTTONS when in trouble, so naturally a lot of unnecessary downshifting was performed!

Main gripe at the moment is visual feedback on the gears. That, and not able to choose a new car on restart.

Also created a club, "Cappa Rosso" (blame Google if it's wrong, native Italian speakers!).

xclaw

Just got the digital game and have it downloading to the PS4 now. Am I in for disappointment or is it at least playable offline?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just got the digital game and have it downloading to the PS4 now. Am I in for disappointment or is it at least playable offline?

Its hugely playable. You won't even notice the online missing bits for a long while if you are like most everyone and go for learning tracks/unlocking cars at first.

Shaneus

Had a quick go with the wheel this evening. Learning:

- a new game
- to use a wheel in a game
- sequential gears
- manual transmission (ssh, I know)

All at once is seemingly more than my tiny brain can handle at once. For the first several races, muscle memory told me to PRESS BUTTONS when in trouble, so naturally a lot of unnecessary downshifting was performed!

Main gripe at the moment is visual feedback on the gears. That, and not able to choose a new car on restart.

Also created a club, "Cappa Rosso" (blame Google if it's wrong, native Italian speakers!).
Coming to grips with manual is one of the most satisfying sensations in a driving game after you've been using auto your entire gaming life. Stick with it, it's rewarding as hell.

Number45

Coming to grips with manual is one of the most satisfying sensations in a driving game after you've been using auto your entire gaming life. Stick with it, it's rewarding as hell.
Even in the short couple of hours I improved a great deal, so yeah I'm looking forward to the journey. I've always sucked at effectively breaking in driving games as well (which is why I've typically preferred slide heavy arcade affairs for gameplay, but bought the likes of GT just to look at the pretty cars), so that's another thing I'll have to work on.

lordxar

Even in the short couple of hours I improved a great deal, so yeah I'm looking forward to the journey. I've always sucked at effectively breaking in driving games as well (which is why I've typically preferred slide heavy arcade affairs for gameplay, but bought the likes of GT just to look at the pretty cars), so that's another thing I'll have to work on.

Your better off using the wheel. I played a few weeks with the DS4 but got an itch for a wheel and haven't looked back. Was tough at first but there's so much more flexibility.

Afrikan

this has me wondering.

is there any racing game that allowed you to change your face bottoms to gears?

I couldn't come to grips of using manual, with a controller or wheel (that didn't have various shift gears)

when I used to play Hard Drivin and Race Drivin at the arcades, I would always use manual...and changing gears in between gears would help with turns...as many do to this day i would believe.

maybe if i could change my face buttons to gears it would be easier to use.

so,

square would be 1st gear
ex would be 2nd gear
triangle would be 3rd gear
circle would be 4th gear
L1 would be 5th Gear
R1 would be 6th Gear

Shaneus

this has me wondering.

is there any racing game that allowed you to change your face bottoms to gears?

I couldn't come to grips of using manual, with a controller or wheel (that didn't have various shift gears)

when I used to play Hard Drivin and Race Drivin at the arcades, I would always use manual...and changing gears in between gears would help with turns...as many do to this day i would believe.

maybe if i could change my face buttons to gears it would be easier to use.

so,

square would be 1st gear
ex would be 2nd gear
triangle would be 3rd gear
circle would be 4th gear
L1 would be 5th Gear
R1 would be 6th Gear
The most recent Daytona USA release did. Possibly Sega Rally (Revo) and the Saturn versions of Daytona, too. The Model 2 emulator (that emulates Sega Rally and Daytona USA arcade versions) has the same setup as each gear in the arcade versions is seen as a button.

Problem with that sort of config is that you have no other buttons to do other things :/ Maybe once the storm has blown over, you can tweet Rushy about doing it?

benzy

Mullah I'm surprised you were able to join my session without getting some kind of notice since my PS+ ran out last week. I tried joining another session but it brought me to the ps+ subscription page. I don't think I'll resubscribe again until Evo fixes the online though, so we'll do some races then.

Afrikan

The most recent Daytona USA release did. Possibly Sega Rally (Revo) and the Saturn versions of Daytona, too. The Model 2 emulator (that emulates Sega Rally and Daytona USA arcade versions) has the same setup as each gear in the arcade versions is seen as a button.

Problem with that sort of config is that you have no other buttons to do other things :/ Maybe once the storm has blown over, you can tweet Rushy about doing it?

well, the d-pad could be used to changed camera settings and other stuff...I don't think there is much else needed really....but yes...lol down the road I'll ask Rushy.

I wish I could play Daytona USA on my PS4...don't feel like hooking up the PS3. If it's OS and UI was as quick as the PS4, I wouldn't mind... but the PS4 has me spoiled.

EBsyhKX.gif

It, was, painful.

Number45

Your better off using the wheel. I played a few weeks with the DS4 but got an itch for a wheel and haven't looked back. Was tough at first but there's so much more flexibility.
I've just dropped £400 on a wheel and stand combo... no danger of me going back to the DS4 for driving games now.

Korezo

Some of the worst online racing Ive played in my life. I use to make fun of nfs because in that game you just ram yourself to the rails and still go fast and Driveclub is the same shit or even worst, people could be wrecking themselves in DC and pull ahead. Game is so stupid. My friends beat the time trail events by crashing through corners and turns. No wonder people drive like shit online, the game teaches you to.

Read up on this because I was thinking about buying it today. Im glad I didnt jump on its hype train, Id have been incensed about them gloating about their weather system which wasnt (and still isnt?) available. Talk about some misleading advertising.
Still, the game does look amazing from a graphics standpoint. Not sure if I should buy.

Read up on this because I was thinking about buying it today. Im glad I didnt jump on its hype train, Id have been incensed about them gloating about their weather system which wasnt (and still isnt?) available. Talk about some misleading advertising.
Still, the game does look amazing from a graphics standpoint. Not sure if I should buy.

It's a great single player game.
Will be a great game overall when / if they get the multiplayer side sorted out.

QaaQer

Some of the worst online racing Ive played in my life. I use to make fun of nfs because in that game you just ram yourself to the rails and still go fast and Driveclub is the same shit or even worst, people could be wrecking themselves in DC and pull ahead. Game is so stupid. My friends beat the time trail events by crashing through corners and turns. No wonder people drive like shit online, the game teaches you to.

good luck doing that in anything but the amateur challenges.

the people who drive like shit drive like that because they are shit drivers.

it would be nice if the game could segregate people somehow, or institute ghost races.

Don't think they were gloating, just demoing a post-release feature. It was never touted as part of the base game. We'll see what it is like if/when it is released.

Should you buy? Depends on if you want a no-nonsense, fairly pure racing game that requires a lot of practice to master. Do you want to race the same track over and over to get those extra 1/10ths? Do you want to spend $1-$500 on a wheel? If not, I'd say give it a pass. If you do though, it's a really great game.

If you ride the walls you will go slower than taking corners properly in 99% of cases.

There are a couple where it is beneficial but it is easy to trigger a penalty so doing it to purposefully get ahead is risky.

Just because you can hit a wall and crash and beat a time doesn't mean that person would not have had a superior time with a clean event.

Also, remember you are rewarded for clean sectors and penalised for going off track, impacting with the walls and also other vehicles.

It doesn't teach you to do it in any way.

Melchiah

This might be a stupid question, but would it be possible to do the challenge trophies via Shareplay, as in sharing the game with my other PSN account and do the challenges with it?

Mullah88

If you ride the walls you will go slower than taking corners properly in 99% of cases.

There are a couple where it is beneficial but it is easy to trigger a penalty so doing it to purposefully get ahead is risky.

Just because you can hit a wall and crash and beat a time doesn't mean that person would not have had a superior time with a clean event.

Also, remember you are rewarded for clean sectors and penalised for going off track, impacting with the walls and also other vehicles.

It doesn't teach you to do it in any way.

Online play, using a car with a quick acceleration (atom, venom) and bouncing (not riding) off a barrier is more beneficial than actually taking the turn the right way

Riding a wall will definitely slow you down

Atcha

Yeah, i'm not forgetting this. The game was ruined for a long time.
I'm not even playiong untill i read on GAF that the game is completely great and completely smooth.

People who ask deserve their money back.

People who waited, deserve some compensation.

I'm on the same boat as you.

I have not sold this game yet...

Do you want to race the same track over and over to get those extra 1/10ths? Do you want to spend $1-$500 on a wheel? If not, I'd say give it a pass. If you do though, it's a really great game.

I play console sims. Ive put close to a hundred hours of gameplay into FM5, half of which I spent doing timetrials, so yes, I do like getting better and better at a certain location. How does the handling feel? Arcadey like Need for Speed (which I dont like) or somewhat grounded in realism? Can you disable assists like ABS and TC?

Goldrusher

I play console sims. Ive put close to a hundred hours of gameplay into FM5, half of which I spent doing timetrials, so yes, I do like getting better and better at a certain location. How does the handling feel? Arcadey like Need for Speed (which I dont like) or somewhat grounded in realism? Can you disable assists like ABS and TC?
Where do you live? If you're in Europe, send me a PM and I'll let you try the game through SharePlay.

AndyD

aka andydumi

It's in between really. There are no assist options, but they are not NFS level. I would say it's like a GT/FM game with some of the assists on low if that makes sense. At least in the low and middle end cars.

This was batshit crazy and clean race all smashed into a single multiplayer race
http://youtu.be/JT88IKzfaks

Watching this makes me wish that all racers get the same in game challenges (speed, cornering) and the winner among the racers gets bonus points. So even if you don't win the race, you can still score lots of points by outdoing the others on challenges.

Also, it makes me wish for a livery gallery. So we can go visit our friends' garages and see their custom liveries on their cars. Despite the somewhat limited options, some people have done a very good job with color layers and choices.

Number45

Is there a way to change the rotation of the T300RS either on the wheel itself or within DC? I'm having to turn the wheel way more than is comfortable under extreme circumstances.

Is there a way to change the rotation of the T300RS either on the wheel itself or within DC? I'm having to turn the wheel way more than is comfortable under extreme circumstances.

Yes.

Hold the mode button and press dpad left (decrease) or right (increase) the rotation degrees. Works on TX and T500 anyway.

Sensitivity adjustments is mode and right/left shift paddle.

i_max

Neo Member
Yes.

Hold the mode button and press dpad left (decrease) or right (increase) the rotation degrees. Works on TX and T500 anyway.

Sensitivity adjustments is mode and right/left shift paddle.

I knew about the D-Pad left/right, but I think its Right decreases rotation to first 270 degrees - one light to all the way to 1080 which I think is six flashes.

I'll try the sensitivity changes tonight.

I knew about the D-Pad left/right, but I think its Right decreases rotation to first 270 degrees - one light to all the way to 1080 which I think is six flashes.

I'll try the sensitivity changes tonight.

Cheers, yeah you are probably right there.

Edit: I don't know if sensitivity adjustment has been added to the T300 yet. I thought as the TX has had it for a while it should have been in there.

QaaQer

thanks for the offer, but Im in Canada. I think Ill pull the trigger and buy it. Maybe I can get a used copy for a bit less.

Since you like racing games, definitely worth a purchase. The real pleasure comes from chasing/beating your ghost or nailing a challenge.

It has elements of both arcade and sim. I like the mix, but ymmv.

Jamesways

This one is focused on fixing the game, but they would probably talk about it as well. Photo mode (and a whole bunch of free stuff) coming towards the end of the month (so probably the week after next).

How are you in the know? Who are you? Who do work for? What's the story? Insider info direct?

lol

Thanks for this info, looking forward to some new content. Still loving the game.
Lately been leveling up mfgs, picking that great lighting time of day just before dark on all the stages.

Top Bottom