• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Greg

I am quite pissed off with this empty gesture by Evolution. A free DLC pack? Well thank fuck. I was planning on buying the season pass anyway.

I would rather take a discount on the season pass because I feel this is quite absurd.

Where is the news about private lobby's? Why can I still not set up to race with ghost cars as to not get fucked over by people who can't or won't drive clean?

Just annoyed at this news honestly. I couldn't care less about photo mode either. I thought we might get the weather update but sadly that's more than a month away.

Viveks you got a line at Evo? Tell then a dlc pack sucks as compensation for our patience and troubles. Almost all my friends in my club bailed on the game because of it.
read:
The Season Pass will be extended to include four extra packs in July 2015 to ensure players who purchased the pass get everything that was promised.

Then your experience is not in line with the vast majority. Because trust me it has been how you described it for a very long time for the vast majority.

You even talk about having trouble connecting which has stable for quite some time now outside of the occasional lobby errors etc.

The experience you describe was typical of week 2, but not since then apart from a few dodgy spells as I described earlier. So you clearly were an unfortunate edge case citizen, to your relief I am sure.

Nice to see an expanded DLC. Might mean some Lambos now then :p

You are both taking your experiences and projecting them as the majority. Both are wrong for every instance that isn't your own.

People still have trouble connecting, more than a few edge cases. Other people have no trouble connecting, more than a few edge cases. You can't take your experience and project it out as the whole, especially when you're talking about a project this massive and the issues it is having.

I would sure as hell hope that neither side is being looked at as an edge case.

viveks86

I am quite pissed off with this empty gesture by Evolution. A free DLC pack? Well thank fuck. I was planning on buying the season pass anyway.

I would rather take a discount on the season pass because I feel this is quite absurd.

Where is the news about private lobby's? Why can I still not set up to race with ghost cars as to not get fucked over by people who can't or won't drive clean?

Just annoyed at this news honestly. I couldn't care less about photo mode either. I thought we might get the weather update but sadly that's more than a month away.

Viveks you got a line at Evo? Tell then a dlc pack sucks as compensation for our patience and troubles. Almost all my friends in my club bailed on the game because of it.

Seems like you misunderstood what's being offered. The free dlc content is in addition to the season pass. They basically committed to more content for the same amount of money, which is a reasonable compensation for people who have already bought the season pass as well as those who haven't.

I don't think the DLC compensation is that bad, honestly. It's a pretty standard apology, IMO, for when this sort of thing happens. You get a little something that is a way of saying, "We're sorry and thank you for waiting it out."

Hear hear

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
The compensation in my opinion is pretty good, so good that they did exactly what the fans asked for but in a logical way. FREE DLC.

Obviously not the whole season but the first DLC that was effected by the server issues.
The most important part of this new update for me is the new tracks and the spinning out part. I'll have to judge it for myself how good is the spinning out physics now.

THE MOST IMPORTANT IMPLEMENTATION IN THIS GAME HAS TO BE PRIVATE LOBBIES... IMO

i_max

Neo Member
The "fucking multiplayer" works pretty well now.

And if this prevents me from getting stuck nose first against the wall any time I spin in mp, I'm happy

Its still mixed, I have a good 50-50 chance even now to get into a multiplayer w/o being thrown out with a code. But other then that, I have enjoyed the game much more then I expected. I'll get the season pass, if they fix the game before the first paid dlc comes out.

Vein

Banned
Really enjoying this. I am another gamer with both access to Forza and Driveclub. I do really enjoy roaming around in FH2 but its racing, technically, is crap for me. I give the game a high score because what it set out to do it does really well.

For racing DC is on another level. This is better than GT or Forza M for me atm. I cannot even believe how bad launch was and how idiotic gamers were over this. I knew full well that Evo would be compensating people.

To see people WAH at free DLC makes me cringe. It really does. Anyway, this boat only has good things ahead of it. Getting out of this swamp of retards and entitlement is all that needs to happen. I feel for this dev team. I know someone fucked up but to be called names for weeks and stuff.... seriously.

dano1

A Sheep
Really enjoying this. I am another gamer with both access to Forza and Driveclub. I do really enjoy roaming around in FH2 but its racing, technically, is crap for me. I give the game a high score because what it set out to do it does really well.

For racing DC is on another level. This is better than GT or Forza M for me atm. I cannot even believe how bad launch was and how idiotic gamers were over this. I knew full well that Evo would be compensating people.

To see people WAH at free DLC makes me cringe. It really does. Anyway, this boat only has good things ahead of it. Getting out of this swamp of retards and entitlement is all that needs to happen. I feel for this dev team. I know someone fucked up but to be called names for weeks and stuff.... seriously.

Couldn't have said it any better!! And I agrea with the better than GT also. GT7 better bring it!!

Vein

Banned
Seriously, I am not a huge racing hardcore guy that knows every sweet tuning in GT, but surely I think that game will take some cues from Driveclub. Surely, on some things like sense of speed, track detail, sound of cars, etc.

If we didn't have driveclub then I think Polyphony might actually be worse off, if only ever so slightly. As a top amazon reviewer I almost want to throw up when I come across the DC reviews. It's at 2.6 people. Dear lord. Does not deserve even remotely that bad of score.

QaaQer

Been tinkering with them on single events. How can you not fire one up when you unlock it? I'm sitting at like level 38 driver right now so I have very little to unlock. The McLaren is about the smoothest, the RUF is just an awful tailspinning mess for me :) I'm digging 200+ but hypers need so much room to slow down. Usually I will unwind to a hot hatch at the end of the night. *

* honestly I typically HATE going from the fastest to the slowest in racers but even the pos slow cars are even fun to drive here.

Wish they had an hour counter in the stats. I have fun just driving around the road tracks shaving seconds.

Edit: oh dam I need to get the season pass pronto. First group is free and all but I totally skimmed the chart when DC first dropped and didn't see it was a monthly thing for many months. Hate to forget and miss something.

You ain't seen nothing yet. I drove the Ariel Atom for the first time tonight, holy shiiiiitttte.

I hate the venom hot lap with a passion, I've tried hour after hour yet I'm still 2 seconds off doing it, it's my last star to collect but can't see me doing it.

Check out YouTube videos of some of the faster times. Here's one that helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anAaSbaPdC0.

See how other players take the corners, what their top speed is in the corners, when they brake, and what their speeds are at the slowest in the corner before they start really accelerating again. Check the section times to see how you compare and where you need to improve (e.g., the above video, his sections were 21.889, 26.809, 26.463). Practice section by section and corner by corner, until you feel like you've mastered each one.

Also, pay attention to your ghost. If you're way behind your ghost after the first section, you might as well restart and keep trying to perfect that section. I mastered the first section first, then moved to the second section. I didn't really have to master the third. I had a good run in the first two sections, slid off onto the grass on the last turn but still got just under 1:16.

Another thing you could try is practicing in Single Event mode. I didn't try this, but you could set up the same race and as you go lap after lap you'll start to see other people's ghosts. That might help you race against others who are trying to hone that lap. Good luck!

bought a PS4 tonight to get ready for GTA V but decided to get Driveclub as my first game and to keep my busy this weekend

first impression is great: beautiful game but really enjoy the car detail and sounds, too. so far having a lot of fun. played single player time and drift challenges for a few hours and just finished my first MP race (signed up for some Hot Hatch event). got last placed though :( I was actually doing better than the guy in 2nd and gained on him almost every corner but both times I passed him, he wiped me out from behind. still, was cool to get online -- wasn't sure how it'd be.

dano1

A Sheep
bought a PS4 tonight to get ready for GTA V but decided to get Driveclub as my first game and to keep my busy this weekend

first impression is great: beautiful game but really enjoy the car detail and sounds, too. so far having a lot of fun. played single player time and drift challenges for a few hours and just finished my first MP race (signed up for some Hot Hatch event). got last placed though :( I was actually doing better than the guy in 2nd and gained on him almost every corner but both times I passed him, he wiped me out from behind. still, was cool to get online -- wasn't sure how it'd be.

Yeah it's a great game! Defensive driving can be very important in this game. But it adds to the fun for me!

^yeah i usually prefer first-person (no HUD) but every time sometime creeps up behind me i feel at a disadvantage if I can't see their swipes at my rear bumper haha

MP seems fun so far, played a few races now. signing up for events or syncing seems to fail often but usually every few tries (maybe 5 minutes or so) I get into a race. not super seamless yet but at least it's working, and it's super smooth once connected and in-race.

torontoml

It was the first race. There was 2 in his video.
Sorry my bad, I get impatient. I guess I watched the first bit then skipped to the end to see what happened.

Edit: Way too many "I's" there.

Guess Tuesday will be when I fire this up gain. Wish it included the weather update though.

It's too bad gta comes out Tuesday, because I probably won't touch this again for quite some time.

Mullah88

Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like there was another car ahead of you by like 3-4 seconds.

The first race? Nah, the gta spano was busy ramming the atom when I went by lol...that's why I was surprised that he still came first. Check out the finish times

Famassu

W000t, got dat 3rd star from Pagani Drift event. At first I had trouble even getting 5000-6000 points, suddenly I did 7900. :D Now I've only got the Norwegian Lightweight Series & World Hypercar Series Cups and Venom Hot Lap 3rd star to go, then I'm done with the Tour Mode (so far). Right in time for the DLC. :)

I just want to check before I buy the game. If I buy the PS+ upgrade version off of PSN (it's the only version available to buy) will I be able to download all the free DLC and season pass stuff? I

I'd read before release that that would be issues in getting the post release content if you hot the PS+ version. Thanks. I can't wait to dive in.

Famassu

I just want to check before I buy the game. If I buy the PS+ upgrade version off of PSN (it's the only version available to buy) will I be able to download all the free DLC and season pass stuff? I

I'd read before release that that would be issues in getting the post release content if you hot the PS+ version. Thanks. I can't wait to dive in.
Free DLC & Season Pass DLC do work with the full game upgrade, of course. Wouldn't make much sense if they didn't, as that's one way for Sony to recoup some costs from PS+ people getting the game for cheaper.

Small touch but I like that the flags at corners are different colors depending on the severity of the corner.

I like playing with the entire HUD off but sometimes it's hard to know what's ahead. Nice little touch that I can just still look at the game world.

It's a game like this that makes me wonder why more games (or even Driveclub) don't make more of an effort to make HUD-less driving viable.Same for GTA. These sort of games looks so much more beautiful without 3-4 different maps and stats clogging up the screen. Been driving around all afternoon with the HUD off and wow this game is gorgeous.

Really enjoying the game a lot so far. Probably my biggest complaint is I am not a fan of some of the car sounds. Favorite part of the gameplay is the controls -- it's a fun nice balance between being arcade-y (like classic NFS) but not too drift-y (like Ridge Racer). And the cars and maps are such incredible.

Mullah88

Small touch but I like that the flags at corners are different colors depending on the severity of the corner.

I like playing with the entire HUD off but sometimes it's hard to know what's ahead. Nice little touch that I can just still look at the game world.

It's a game like this that makes me wonder why more games (or even Driveclub) don't make more of an effort to make HUD-less driving viable.Same for GTA. These sort of games looks so much more beautiful without 3-4 different maps and stats clogging up the screen. Been driving around all afternoon with the HUD off and wow this game is gorgeous.

Really enjoying the game a lot so far. Probably my biggest complaint is I am not a fan of some of the car sounds. Favorite part of the gameplay is the controls -- it's a fun nice balance between being arcade-y (like classic NFS) but not too drift-y (like Ridge Racer). And the cars and maps are such incredible.

Yeah circuit tracks don't have the flags so it's kind of hard to play circuit race without the hud on. They need an option to leave just the track layout and everything off.

A trick to getting online races, after getting into a race and you start getting errors for the next events, close application and comeback again, it'll get you into a lobby. A bit tedious but it works for me

^by close the app, you mean the Event Browser?

I've been doing that a bit but I wasn't sure if it was helping or not... thought maybe it'd reset the events that you see or something. In any case, usually doesn't seem to take more than 5 minutes and maybe 4-5 tries to get into a race. Think the worst was almost 10 minutes once but in general it at least seems that it can work... I can handle some errors as long as I know it can work. And once it I get in, the races have been great.

Got my first 1st at almost 4AM last night haha 6:30 minutes and the guy was on my ass almost entire race but we both raced it almost perfectly. So far I like the MP a lot... maybe because of the penalties for crashes (though sometimes I wish this triggered for lighter bumps from opponents) but I've had some super clean and competitive races. Sometimes it's bumper cars but I've had some amazing races so far where 3-4 cars are racing clean and just making the tightest corners with all the drivers within 0-2 seconds apart. Got my heart racing and holding the controller tight a couple times haha.

Very happy with the game so far. I could see myself getting a bit bored if I tried to play it too much (like a story game where you want to play it 8 hours a day during a weekend to try finish the story) because there doesn't seem to be too much content to do but for an hour or two every night where you just want an intense race and beautiful maps/cars, I think I'm going to like it a lot.

Hey did they ever say anything about the game volume? I know it's not an issue for everyone, but I know people have complained about it, and it's an objective fact this is the quietest game I own.

Bluenova

Neo Member

While I have no Forza experience, I have really loved GT6 for the past year and yeah I think driving in DRIVECLUB is cut quite above any racer before it. It has the intensity of motorstorm, driving in real cars though on superbly-designed road tracks. I keep telling off my friend LOL

Does anyone else not mind the european car selection - because a good chunk are unique to the game? like the Rivale, Marussia, Mono etc.

Zalusithix

The more I play, the more I wish there was a HUD toggle. Playing with the HUD at 0% opacity is vastly superior from an immersion standpoint, but limits the amount of information available. Meanwhile having the HUD visible gives tons of information, but it's just a non-essential distraction most of the time - especially in cockpit view where most of the needed info is being displayed in the dash anyhow. It would be great if we could assign one of the unused buttons to toggle it on/off. That would allow us to quickly bring up info when needed, and then be back to driving with no distractions in an instant.

When I'm doing a time trial, for instance, having all the timers, face offs, etc throwing numbers in my face is purely a distraction to the driving. In those cases, I just need to see the road and potentially the ghost. If I flub something on a lap with no chance of recovery, being able to toggle the HUD back up for the faceoffs for the rest of the lap would be nice. Then click it off again for the following lap.

DonMigs85

While I have no Forza experience, I have really loved GT6 for the past year and yeah I think driving in DRIVECLUB is cut quite above any racer before it. It has the intensity of motorstorm, driving in real cars though on superbly-designed road tracks. I keep telling off my friend LOL

Does anyone else not mind the european car selection - because a good chunk are unique to the game? like the Rivale, Marussia, Mono etc.
Actually a lot were in NFS Most Wanted lol

Number45

Hey did they ever say anything about the game volume? I know it's not an issue for everyone, but I know people have complained about it, and it's an objective fact this is the quietest game I own.
Yup, even using bumper cam the game is really quiet - I have to push my amp so much higher to get anything out of the game.

I'm really trying to like this game, but the online aspect of it is absolutely embarrassing. I have tried to play this game online for almost an hour now, and I STILL haven't been able to finish a match. I see a 'Connecting' error every few minutes... Tried closing the app multiple times and everything, but nothing works. I've played PS2 games online with a smoother experience than this...

leng jai

Sorry my bad, I get impatient. I guess I watched the first bit then skipped to the end to see what happened.

Edit: Way too many "I's" there.

It's too bad gta comes out Tuesday, because I probably won't touch this again for quite some time.

That's a good point. Evolution need some better foresight it seems.

Pena

Neo Member
Damn drift events. First of all I hate drifting and using handbrake with a wheel is pain in the ass. I wish there was a way to configure the handbrake to clutch pedal or someting.
I guess I'm not getting max stars then.

Number45

Damn drift events. First of all I hate drifting and using handbrake with a wheel is pain in the ass. I wish there was a way to configure the handbrake to clutch pedal or someting.
I guess I'm not getting max stars then.
I haven't touched any of those challenges yet, but to be honest I'm probably going to do the drift stuff with the DS4.

system11

I am sick and tired of this PIECE OF SHIT ARIEL ATOM. Would you like to turn around a shallow bend? HERES A 270 DEGREE SPIN. I've been gaming for decades and nothing has ever made me this frustrated. I'm not sure much has ever come close. Any slide that causes a loss of speed sees the AI cars ruin everything.

Having finally beaten the first round in the event that forces you to suffer it, I find the next one is even worse. The Venom hot lap was a walk in the park by comparison.

Top Bottom