• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Impressions From Matt-IGN

Eric-GCA

Banned
Peer came over last night and we played Metroid Prime 2 Echoes into the early morning. The entire time I was thinking, awesome, awesome, awesome.

Matt
And some more a few minutes later...

Don't want to jump the gun. We're still only a fraction through the game, mostly because I was unable to play it for most of today (curses!). But from what I've seen so far, it's amazing. Also, significantly more difficult. Even early on, the challenge level seems on par with a mid-game point in the original. And let all fears about whether or not the title would look as good as the first go to the grave: Prime 2 is prettier. Gorgeous, in fact. I found myself gaping at some of the locations as I played around last night.

Play so far seems to be more of the same. Lots of exploration. Looking for upgrades. Trying to gain access to areas. Good stuff, in other words. I haven't seen anything that totally changes that dynamic yet, but I expect some of the still un-seen visors will add a sense of freshness to the experience. Meanwhile, some of the morph ball puzzles are pretty great, and we're still early.

Dark Samus is awesome.

Meanwhile, the multiplayer mode is fun. Not great, mind you, but not bad, either. I played Peer in a couple games of standard deathmatch. Beat the pants off the poor guy. I thought he was going to start crying. First game: 10-0, me. Second game: 10-4, me. It was entertaining, but, you know, it's four-player split-screen deathmatch. It's exactly as you'd expect. You can see exactly what your opponent is doing, which takes some of the excitement out of hacking. It all runs smoothly and the environments are varied, but frankly it doesn't hold a candle to the single-player game. At least, not based on what I've seen so far.

Matt

I can't wait to fight some of these fuckers.

dark_samus_front_1.jpg

comando_pirate_1.jpg

space_pirate.jpg

Bring it.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t think matt has gotten too far because he was faping all night over the box.

Seriously he is like a school girl with this game

Grubdog

Banned
Maybe the game is just that good? I can't wait to find out. I love Nintendo for releasing this in PAL this year!

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Grubdog said:
Maybe the game is just that good? I can't wait to find out. I love Nintendo for releasing this in PAL this year!
Yeah I am freaked out by the fact MP2 is coming to PAL areas so soon! Still I am not going to pick it new because these titles are coming out soon or have just been released.

Paper Mario
Pikmin 2
Halo 2
Street Fighter AC
Huge Xbox back log

Dam you Nintendo the one time you release a game without horrendous delays I have a killer back log.

Joe

i think he's just trying to make up for all the enthusiasm that was lost for the gamecube when re4 was announced for ps2.

2 of 3 reviewers said it was 9 material in the latest egm (only one 10).

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Joe said:
i think he's just trying to make up for all the enthusiasm that was lost for the gamecube when re4 was announced for ps2.

oh teh noes!

Socreges

Banned
Joe said:
Shit, not 9 material! And only one 10?? But two of them say its a 9! And they outnumber him 2:1!

What? I'm being serious here!

Deg

Banned
No surprise. People who loved the first game will absolutely love this.

Joe said:

Oh he's still very enthusiastic about RE4. Hard not to be. Fanboys will still like it because its still coming first and GC is the system of choice here.

Please post more MP2 artwork!

AssMan

Banned
Wow Society. The first few art works were freaking amazing. If Matt says this game is amazing, then I BELIEVE!

SantaC

Joe said:

and 9 material is shit now? EGM Isn't the universal opinon especially since they scored Mario Kart: DD 10,10, 9. Wtf was that? Same goes for Baten Kaitos, only a 6.5? Even Game Informer had a 8.75 score for that game.

Truth is that IGN's score and gamespot's score matters most for me.

AniHawk

SantaCruZer said:
and 9 material is shit now? EGM Isn't the universal opinon especially since they scored Mario Kart: DD 10,10, 9. Wtf was that? Same goes for Baten Kaitos, only a 6.5? Even Game Informer had a 8.75 score for that game.

Truth is that IGN's score and gamespot's score matters most for me.

AniHawk

SantaCruZer said:
You got that right Hawk! Why sell? It's not over....yet :p

Well Joe wasn't being all too serious.

And just because I sell a system doesn't mean I'll never get it again. Next year I'm betting on some sort of Zelda bundle that I can buy along with the new Zelda game if it isn't pushed back to Revolution. I simply needed the money right away as I didn't get a job until recently, and it isn't exactly high-paying.

Deg

Banned
SantaCruZer said:

standards have changed :p

SantaC

AniHawk said:
Well Joe wasn't being all too serious.

And just because I sell a system doesn't mean I'll never get it again. Next year I'm betting on some sort of Zelda bundle that I can buy along with the new Zelda game if it isn't pushed back to Revolution. I simply needed the money right away as I didn't get a job until recently, and it isn't exactly high-paying.

I don't see why it will be pushed back for revolution as some people seem to think. Gamecube needs another killer game in 2005.

See, Nintendo make you buy another gamecube just for zelda. :) It's their last straw.

SantaCruZer said:
You got that right Hawk! Why sell? It's not over....yet :p

you know. I have to give you credit for enthusiam and faith. You're right its not over. The gamecube is an outstanding machine and the recent GC videos from the TOUCHDS event proves that we'll still have great titles to play. I can't wait for starfox, re4, zelda, chibi robot + jungle beat.

Great Art for MP2E. I can't wait to play it.

AniHawk

TheGreenGiant said:
you know. I have to give you credit for enthusiam and faith. You're right its not over. The gamecube is an outstanding machine and the recent GC videos from the TOUCHDS event proves that we'll still have great titles to play. I can't wait for starfox, re4, zelda, chibi robot + jungle beat.

Great Art for MP2E. I can't wait to play it.

Jungle Beat. That's another one I'll have to get. I was putting my Taiko drums away the other day and realized I still have the bongos. Heh.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bitwise said:
SantaCruZer said:
Wtf was that? Same goes for Baten Kaitos, only a 6.5? Even Game Informer had a 8.75 score for that game.

Baten Kaitos is crap. sorry.

Why do you say that? The impressions seemed pretty decent with complaints being aimed only at things such as the somewhat weak storyline.

I have a grave fear that Baiten will be ass. I'm going to hold off getting this one til much much later (after I get a comprehensive set of impressions). It went from MUST buy to eh in a very short time. Fantastic FMV though

SantaC

TheGreenGiant said:
I have a grave fear that Baiten will be ass. I'm going to hold off getting this one til much much later (after I get a comprehensive set of impressions). It went from MUST buy to eh in a very short time. Fantastic FMV though

I preordered it after the GI score :p But the music should atleast be fantastic.

Play so far seems to be more of the same. Lots of exploration. Looking for upgrades. Trying to gain access to areas. Good stuff, in other words. I haven't seen anything that totally changes that dynamic yet, but I expect some of the still un-seen visors will add a sense of freshness to the experience. Meanwhile, some of the morph ball puzzles are pretty great, and we're still early.

This is exactly the reason I like the idea of the game taking place in areas unlike past Metroid games. The games are so similar that if there was an ice level/fire level/underwater level, etc. in Echoes it would feel too much like Prime.

Willco said:
I am seriously thinking about selling my GameCube. I wonder how much it's worth.

The gamecube itself will probably go second hand for about the price of a bad game. Totally not worth it. Factoring in whatever games you have might make some money, but there's no point in selling the system IMO.

Sometimes I sell the games I know I'll never play again, but I've been burned time and again by selling systems. Just not worth it.

Willco

Hollywood Square
You mean I couldn't even get $50 for a GAMECUBE? WHAT KIND OF TRICK ARE YOU TRYING TO PULL HERE.

EDIT: So you guys know, I don't hate Nintendo, but I really don't play the system and my brother is getting his own for Christmas, so if I really want to play Mario Tennis or anything, I'll just go over to his house.

I was expecting this thread to turn into a bunch of idiots whinning about Matt-IGN JUST FOR A CHANGE. Like he's not allowed to complain about Nintendo and he's not allowed to praise a Nintendo game (lose-lose situation) But what do you know, only a few ppl have made a few weak attempts. :p

Looking foward to the game.

Willco said:
You mean I couldn't even get $50 for a GAMECUBE? WHAT KIND OF TRICK ARE YOU TRYING TO PULL HERE.

EDIT: So you guys know, I don't hate Nintendo, but I really don't play the system and my brother is getting his own for Christmas, so if I really want to play Mario Tennis or anything, I'll just go over to his house.

They go for about £40 if they're in good condition in the UK, less obviously if they're not. I think a good boxed system will probably get you $50 and upwards, but thats still not a lot really IMO! Having considered your brother is getting one maybe you should sell actually... for all your games, depending on how many you've got, you could pick up quite a packet. But I recommend you keep any good games and sell all the so-so ones first. Or at least give them to your brother. For a price :D

ANNNNYWAY. This thread is getting me pumped for MP2.

11 Nov US
26 Nov UK

I CAN'T WAIT!

Top Bottom