• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quick question. Based on what you say it sounds like people can pledge, get their free content,unsubsr, and then just resubscribe after payment is collected. Is that true? If it is, that is a poor design decision on Patreons part.

Yes it's true. Yes it is poor design but apparently they're looking to fix it, or so I read

Rockk

My one criticism of Tabletop Escapades is that the constant resting kills the pacing and does not make a ton of sense narrative-wise. Especially since they can just roll their hit dice to heal without doing anything specific. And you're not allowed to long rest more then once a day, IIRC.

I think i understand Dumb Game Monday very differently than you. The message Kyle gets across is that you should imagine your grandma gifting you a game that she thinks it's cool but it's not the COD you expected and probably one of the cheapest ones she found at Gamestop, and you have the mission to play and try to love it.
He is not trying to pick only good forgotten games, he is trying to love even the really bad ones like Powers Rangers. The struggle was fun to watch for me.
I totally get it, and it's an endearing proposition, but in the end it is much funnier if the game is actually somewhat tolerable or unoffensive like gforce. Otherwise it's three weeks of power rangers.
Good thing about eza is that thgere's always somenthing else to watch.

My one criticism of Tabletop Escapades is that the constant resting kills the pacing and does not make a ton of sense narrative-wise. Especially since they can just roll their hit dice to heal without doing anything specific. And you're not allowed to long rest more then once a day, IIRC.

I am wondering about this as well. Do none of them have healing abilities? Seems like on TTA they were healing all the time, now they are just resting. Also it is frustrating that everyone including Law are straight ignoring his festering foot. Dude is going to die! Someone help!

LycanXIII

I am wondering about this as well. Do none of them have healing abilities? Seems like on TTA they were healing all the time, now they are just resting. Also it is frustrating that everyone including Law are straight ignoring his festering foot. Dude is going to die! Someone help!

He'll just rest until he gets his HP back and then slowly lose it over time again.

Rockk

For every level you are you have 1 "hit die". At any point out of combat you can spend however many to heal. What numbered die you roll depends on your class. generally fighters, barbarians, and the like roll higher sided dice then wizards and rogues.The hit die recover each time to take a long rest, I believe. Or maybe even a short rest.

It should be in the rulebooks they have. A quicker refreshing before their next recording session would be great. I know you're reading the thread, Ben!

For every level you are you have 1 "hit die". At any point out of combat you can spend however many to heal. What numbered die you roll depends on your class. generally fighters, barbarians, and the like roll higher sided dice then wizards and rogues.The hit die recover each time to take a long rest, I believe. Or maybe even a short rest.

It should be in the rulebooks they have. A quicker refreshing before their next recording session would be great. I know you're reading the thread, Ben!

Hit die don't work like potions that you can use to heal at any time. What would be the point of having a cleric? You can spend hit die during a rest as a renewable resource, but the characters actually have to rest. The rule you're saying doesn't exist.

A more in-depth post: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2c0rdr/5e_hp_how_do_hit_dice_work/

For people complaining about resting breaking up the pace, I totally understand. They should have picked a healer.

To expand upon that a little bit, I get the sense that people get frustrated at me when the players are shortsighted. While it is my job to create a fun environment, the game wouldn't be very interesting if negative consequences didn't exist. Not having a healer is a big deal. The consequences of that have been made very clear and I haven't created any extra punishment or anything like that. It's just a choice they made that is having huge rippling effects.

Sheentak

Hit die don't work like potions that you can use to heal at any time. What would be the point of having a cleric? You can spend hit die during a rest as a renewable resource, but the characters actually have to rest. The rule you're saying doesn't exist.

A more in-depth post: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2c0rdr/5e_hp_how_do_hit_dice_work/

For people complaining about resting breaking up the pace, I totally understand. They should have picked a healer.

To expand upon that a little bit, I get the sense that people get frustrated at me when the players are shortsighted. While it is my job to create a fun environment, the game wouldn't be very interesting if negative consequences didn't exist. Not having a healer is a big deal. The consequences of that have been made very clear and I haven't created any extra punishment or anything like that. It's just a choice they made that is having huge rippling effects.

Its just making the game really slow. Maybe you can limit them constantly resting as the action is awesome and I love it when it's tense

Its just making the game really slow. Maybe you can limit them constantly resting as the action is awesome and I love it when it's tense

It's a fair point. They are supposed to be limited to one long rest per day, so I am mistaken there. Just know that in the next two episodes there is no resting at all and they're legit some of the best episodes we've ever recorded. While the feedback is appreciated (and in this case very accurate) DnD ebbs and flows. Issues you see in one episode may not pop up again.

EDIT: I guess I should say I don't remember them resting, but I need to double check.

LycanXIII

I love how their patreon always bounces back almost instantaneously, lol.

Could be good or bad. As has been suggested, there could be people unsubbing right before they get charged and then re-sub after the first. Patreon should charge at the time of backing them instead of waiting for the start of the month.

I disagree that rests are really slowing the game down. Plus the one in the latest episode ends up leading to some fun stuff with the characters doing their own thing in the meantime

The dumb little things are what make their campaigns. The only time I've ever had an issue with their D&D was when (I believe his name was Max?) joined for a handful of episodes and he just kept saying "investigate" over and over. That sort of thing is actually a detriment to play sessions because you aren't thinking on your feet and trying different things as your character, you're just spamming until you eventually stumble onto some progress

I disagree that rests are really slowing the game down. Plus the one in the latest episode ends up leading to some fun stuff with the characters doing their own thing in the meantime

The dumb little things are what make their campaigns. The only time I've ever had an issue with their D&D was when (I believe his name was Max?) joined for a handful of episodes and he just kept saying "investigate" over and over. That sort of thing is actually a detriment to play sessions because you aren't thinking on your feet and trying different things as your character, you're just spamming until you eventually stumble onto some progress

I actually completely agree with you, Brian. It's why I'm super excited for you all to see Patron D&D group number 2. Considering some of them were first timers, they knocked it out of the park. They were in the RP zone in ways I've rarely seen. Truly a fantastic session. I laughed my ass off.

Kasper

While the pace outside the dungeon were a bit on the slow side I haven't found that to be a problem inside the dungeon. Sure, they've been in the same area for a few episodes now, but a lot has happened there rather than just one encounter that got dragged out. I'm very entertained right now, so keep up the good work, Ben!

Hasney

It's a fair point. They are supposed to be limited to one long rest per day, so I am mistaken there. Just know that in the next two episodes there is no resting at all and they're legit some of the best episodes we've ever recorded. While the feedback is appreciated (and in this case very accurate) DnD ebbs and flows. Issues you see in one episode may not pop up again.

EDIT: I guess I should say I don't remember them resting, but I need to double check.

Brads been hyping up those episodes too... Hnnng, can't wait.

Not that I've even had time to see this one yet, but still!

sora87

All of you talking about the rules are missing the most unsettling thing about this weeks TTE...
Lightning is insistent she will NOT be forgotten.

Solobbos

I can't agree with you more. I've seriously enjoyed every TE episodes immensely and at the moment I think it's my favourite EZA content at the moment, even though I have never D&D'd myself before watching the escapades.

So thanks for the awesome Escapades so far, Ben!

I think the tabletop eps have been pretty good especially if you compare them to the early GT episodes, which I just started to watch since I never visited GT before. I learned about EZA on here. I have been really enjoying all of the content so much that I just became an official supporter on Patreon. Keep up the good work.

Tsosie

Regarding the rests in recent episodes. For those that do not play 5e, a lot of the early game in a campaign has changed. Even if they had a heal class it would not change too much. Early level healers do not allow for this type of dungeon crawl without taking rests. Rests are a critical part of the game. A good DM makes them interesting and Ben is a good DM.

wiibomb

I binge watched both of this and last week episodes of TTE, I know these 2 episodes are in the same session, but I can't believe how different it was.

Last week was kinda boring, may be because it was with much pressure of may be because they weren't in the zone, but this week was brilliant, not only in how they explored the dungeon, but also on how much the went into their characters, there were legitimately engaged in their conversations, they had good clashes. there was some really clever and comical moments in this week, also.

I would really love to see them more like this week, it makes this much more than a game.

also, I really think some of these actions merit inspiration points, I feel the system might be a little underused

Rockk

My apologies, I was basing it off of Critical Role. Matthew Mercer has a few custom rules. Short rests are 15 minutes instead of an hour so they use them quite liberally that way. Sorry, probably should have done more research. I still think maybe reminding them that a short rest and rolling some dice is usually sufficient in healing them would be a good thing.

And I totally understand the negative consequences of not having a healer. It just seems that not having a healer has forced the characters to not be a involved as they want to be. Especially Law/Huber. This past episode was mainly Kyle frying some Kobolds and looking in some keyholes. Last episode was mainly Ian sneaking around and looking around. And it's been great and I'm enjoying it but the pacing seems to be slower then necessary. 6 episodes and it seems we're halfway through the first dungeon. And obviously everyone is still getting acquainted with the rules but just a thought to keep a good pace.

Maligna

Banned
My apologies, I was basing it off of Critical Role. Matthew Mercer has a few custom rules. Short rests are 15 minutes instead of an hour so they use them quite liberally that way. Sorry, probably should have done more research. I still think maybe reminding them that a short rest and rolling some dice is usually sufficient in healing them would be a good thing.

And I totally understand the negative consequences of not having a healer. It just seems that not having a healer has forced the characters to not be a involved as they want to be. Especially Law/Huber. This past episode was mainly Kyle frying some Kobolds and looking in some keyholes. Last episode was mainly Ian sneaking around and looking around. And it's been great and I'm enjoying it but the pacing seems to be slower then necessary. 6 episodes and it seems we're halfway through the first dungeon. And obviously everyone is still getting acquainted with the rules but just a thought to keep a good pace.

Can't say I share any of these sentiments. Don't take it too much to heart Ben, you guys just do you.

El-Suave

What does the "Geoff" thing in the recent Youtube group stream archive title mean? I'd like to know but I don't have the time to watch and/or search.

Doc_Drop

I cannot fathom why they didn't pick a healer of some description. Does the monk have healing options at higher levels? Cus I don't see Kyle picking any up haha

SeanTSC

Man, more Nintendo news right after a podcast yet again. E3's going to be just Treehouse streaming Zelda and there's not even going to be a Direct, there you go Brandon. I bet that it really is the only thing really on the show floor.

Asd202

Someone has to stop Ben from watching the new Persona 5 trailer because he's going to spend all his money on the special editions. But seriously would love for Ben and crew to do a video about that trailer.

I smell a new wall scroll
thoraxespersona56eji8.gif

Who needs Nintendo, P5 will be at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom