• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Dead Don't Ride
New Star Wars IP from EA
For Honor
Detroit: Become Human
The Last Guardian
The new Kojima project
Sea of Thieves
Scalebound
Deep Down
Cyberpunk 2077 (from CDPR)

To an extent, depending on what you consider high budget: No Man's Sky, Yooka-Laylee, WiLD, ReCore and Nioh

I think there's plenty to be excited about for the next 24 months or so.

Most of what you listed in fact excites me, and I'm happy it exists. But these are very few games, most of them are still in pie-in-the-sky status (kojima, cyberpunk), some of them are missing in action (deep down). The Last Guardian is the living example of why you don't do new original projects, if sony's reputation wasn't on line it would have been cancelled 5 years ago.
If guerrilla's game won't sell, they'll be back on killzone in no time. No Man's Sky has not a high development budget (it has a high budget for marketing by sony, which is starving for something new). For honor seems to have a very narrow scope as the rest of ubi is shipping one assassin's creed after the other. "New" star wars game is not what I'd call taking a risk on something original and isn't yooka-Laylee a unofficial reebot of banjo-kazooie?

I get what you're saying, some new games are sometimes announced and made, but it's definitely not the norm for big productions (thank god for indies). I believe that this state of affairs is creatively holding back the industry, and it's a trend that won't probably change as development costs have risen and will rise in the future.

I don't get you. Don't you want new original books, new albums with new songs, new movies? Why don't you want new games?

The reason why sequels exist in this industry is merely financial in nature, rarely motivated by the devs wanting to go back to the old concept (especially true in the case of Crash). The publishers conditioned game enthusiasts in believing that they wanted those sequels, and now there's barely any new high-budget game in sight. In this case it even seems that this reboot exists because gamers demanded sony to do it, and they will happily oblige...

People wanting more of the same is not exclusive to games and it isn't exactly new either. People got super pissed when Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes because he wanted to write something new. If I remember right he had to bring back Sherlock Holmes after he killed him off just because of popular demand. Sometimes people want more of what they already like.

Edit: On thinking about it a bit more, I think the situation is actually reversed. I think people like sequels, publishers know that, and that's why they push out so many. We're not conditioned by publishers to like sequels, a lot of people just like it as a matter of course. That's not to say people don't also like new things. I just think that if publisher's are exploiting anything, it's not a conditioned response. They're exploiting the fact that humans usually like what is familiar, which is why it's safer for them to push lots of sequels.

dickroach

Thing I love about Huber: He likes Peaky Blinders
Thing I hate about Huber: He calls it a "European Boardwalk Empire"

Such a bad way of describing it :(

when Boardwalk was winding down I checked the subreddit and everyone on there was checking "check out Peaky Blinders, it's like an English Boardwalk Empire"

Rosur

I hope some Easy Allies people guest on Giant Bomb's after E3 evening shows.

Also yea do agree Battletoads more likely to come back than Crash considering Rare Replay and char in Killer Instinct. Though if Crash doesn't happen this year I don't see it happening.

farisr

I don't get you. Don't you want new original books, new albums with new songs, new movies? Why don't you want new games?
First of all, people want sequels to books and movies all the time. And people want albums with songs that sound similar to the ones that they like from that artist (aka genre/style preference). Second, people want new games too (just like they want new movies and books and songs), but they'd like sequels or reboots to games they loved as well, simply due to the fact that they loved those games.

Why do people eat the same kinds of foods over and over again? Because they like the taste and they know they like it. Sometimes even forgo trying a new place or type of food out because they're not sure whether they will like it or not, there's that risk, and they don't want to take it. But if they get that pizza again, they know they'll enjoy the food. Kind of the same concept here except a Sony-handled Crash experience hasn't been available for more than 16 years.

BahamutPT

I get what you're saying, some new games are sometimes announced and made, but it's definitely not the norm for big productions (thank god for indies). I believe that this state of affairs is creatively holding back the industry, and it's a trend that won't probably change as development costs have risen and will rise in the future.

I just think there's a healthy stream of both.
Make 1 or 2 game follow-ups that sell a huge amount of units (plus lots of smaller projects) to be able to fund a completely new project. Even sequels aren't that common nowadays, besides the usual yearly (sports/shooters) titles.
And then some stories have a huge scope/ambition, which is impossible to fit in a single experience.

Par Score

Love Ben going in on Watch_Dogs, him and Brad can be vicious when they want to be.

Edit: Also, Ben's reaction to people looking forward to the Assassin's Creed movie considering his approach to the Warcraft movie is so unintentionally hilarious.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ben/Blood/Anyone, what video editor do you use for editing videos?

Philippo

I'm starting to get bored by TTE, by this point the whole group is just dicking around.

Mad props to Ben, he's being incredibly patient as a DM, although his expressions are becoming esasperate with each silly moment.

I'm starting to get bored by TTE, by this point the whole group is just dicking around.

Mad props to Ben, he's being incredibly patient as a DM, although his expressions are becoming esasperate with each silly moment.
Speaking for those who'd rather not see serious run through of a campaign the dicking around absolutely makes the show for me.

The dicking around is the best part.
Where else are you gonna get this kind of improv RPG humor
It's even better when shit gets serious and they have to stay in character, or in the case of Threse, start to change a bit from the experience.

Sad that we won't be able to see live reactions for Sony's and M$'s E3 conferences, since they will be attending E3 (Good on all of them for getting in).

Also sad that I won't be able to see the guys discussing E3 while I'm at work.
You had a few people live react, then later in the day you had the ones lucky enough to go to the show floor come in and discuss what they saw.

Made the work day go by so much faster.

Tankard

Fitting well with GB? I understand a lot of you guys love GB, but the way they think video games couldn't be more far apart.
I mean, of all things that set them apart, you don't even need to go far to see it, just today you can go to the last Kinda Funny Gamescast with Jeff Gerstmann and he talks a little about their "E3 controversy" and how he knows better than a lot of people than to hype up trailers, we here are crossing our fingers for EZA Patreon to reach 45k so we have back Trailer Score, we are so crazy about the E3 for about how EZA are enthusiastic about it, about games, trailers, announcements. That's not how GB is and how they do things.

Kasper

I like the dicking around. However, I do think that Huber is going a little overboard with it lately in terms of making up weird back stories that may be funny but also completely retarded. The other three also dick around, but they do it without completely wrecking the game, in my opinion anyway.

Edit: I never found this to be as much of a problem with Hogger where the actions usually fit the character. The whole Bowser storyline was out there, but it was the only one I can remember and it was super funny, so I give it a free pass.

Brandon and Huber talk about Batman in the Hearthstone stream? Does anyone know roughly when that talk goes down in the video? I'd love to listen to it but searching through a video that's over 7 hours is pretty daunting lol

sora87

I hope I never see them on any giant bomb things. Yucky.

Jones must be feeling pretty hype with all these Red Dead "leaks"

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I hope I never see them on any giant bomb things. Yucky.

Jones must be feeling pretty hype with all these Red Dead "leaks"

I hope people stop with this idiocy because that's the only thing that's yucky.
Tip: If you have the power to actively watch something you have the power to actively not watch something.

Not that I'll have any influence over it but I just hope that the EZA community aligns with being/wants to be welcoming and tolerant rather than drawing borders and wallowing in the specialness of being part of something smaller.

Tsosie

I could totally see Brandon on one of the Giantbomb after E3 streams they do every year. While I tend not to enjoy Giantbomb's coverage during the day, their night shows are very good.

Tsosie

Absolute crazy talk.

It is funny, in some ways I absolutely understand his point. As a fellow DM, I start to cringe a little when they go off the wall. Only because I know how hard it is to improvise side stories on the fly. Ben has always stepped up to, so major props to him.

Luckily, I have allowed myself to watch the show purely for the zany antics.

Liamc723

No they aren't. Opinions though and all that.
If we all agreed gaf would be a boring place. ;)

Calling Giant Bomb "yucky" is hardly an opinion though, it's just stupidity.

If we're talking opinions, I'll let you know that I prefer Giant Bomb to Easy Allies.

sora87

Calling Giant Bomb "yucky" is hardly an opinion though, it's just stupidity.

If we're talking opinions, I'll let you know that I prefer Giant Bomb to Easy Allies.

How so? I find them boring and annoying. Yucky is just a funny way to say it.
Also good for you. But don't expect everyone to like GB.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
No they aren't. Opinions though and all that.
If we all agreed gaf would be a boring place. ;)
Well your own words then, in the spirit of not becoming boring let's celebrate whenever we get the chance to have different opinions instead of wishing for exclusion. :p

sora87

Yucky isn't funny, it's just dumb.

You shouldn't expect all Easy Allies fans to dislike GB either.

Lol I don't? I said I hope they never collaborate. Just me. No one else.
You seriously can't say anything bad about GB on gaf without people jumping down your throat.

wiibomb

I've never ever bothered to really check Giant Bomb, but after seeing one of them on the Kinda Funny podcast I'm not too hyped to check them out.

"I don't care about Shenmue and will never care about it"

And then he whine about how people get exited about a CG trailer because he knows the game will never look like that (FFVII-R). Oh and he also whined about people exited for the Shenmue KS.

I don't know, but that seems very VERY different from EZA, which isn't a bad thing, but I'm not very interested myself in them for what he said there.

Liamc723

Lol I don't? I said I hope they never collaborate. Just me. No one else.
You seriously can't say anything bad about GB on gaf without people jumping down your throat.

I told you my opinion that I prefer GB to Easy Allies, but you came out with "Don't expect everyone to like GB." As if I'm trying to make everyone like GB.

You're trying to criticize me for something you've done yourself.

I've never ever bothered to really check Giant Bomb, but after seeing one of them on the Kinda Funny podcast I'm not too hyped to check them out.

"I don't care about Shenmue and will never care about it"

And then he whine about how people get exited about a CG trailer because he knows the game will never look like that (FFVII-R). Oh and he also whined about people exited for the Shenmue KS.

I don't know, but that seems very VERY different from EZA, which isn't a bad thing, but I'm not very interested myself in them for what he said there.

Jeff wasn't whining whatsoever.

He stated his opinion on Shenmue and them moved on. He said that he didn't get excited over a CG trailer, which a hell of a lot of people on this forum say, and then moved on.

sora87

I told you my opinion that I prefer GB to Easy Allies, but you came out with "Don't expect everyone to like GB." As if I'm trying to make everyone like GB.

I said that because a lot of people on gaf seem to expect you to follow and like GB, and if you don't then there's something wrong with you clearly.

Anyway I'm done. I hope they never collaborate and that's that. Whatever happens, happens.

Liamc723

I said that because a lot of people on gaf seem to expect you to follow and like GB, and if you don't then there's something wrong with you clearly.

Anyway I'm done. I hope they never collaborate and that's that. Whatever happens, happens.

Well that's you making a generalisation, which is on you.

I mean, collaborating with GB would open them up to a wider audience and possibly lead to more Patrons, but okay!

SeanTSC

Well that's you making a generalisation, which is on you.

I mean, collaborating with GB would open them up to a wider audience and possibly lead to more Patrons, but okay!

I think that people just don't want GB's attitudes and "feel" to influence EZA in a negative way. I get where people are coming from when they say "I hope they never do X with Y people." I've always felt that the GT/EZA crew are pretty special and with what I've seen from other people I wouldn't want them to be like other people either.

I don't think that would actually happen and I trust them to keep being themselves no matter what they do, but I understand the apprehension that people have.

Liamc723

I think that people just don't want GB's attitudes and "feel" to influence EZA in a negative way. I get where people are coming from when they say "I hope they never do X with Y people." I've always felt that the GT/EZA crew are pretty special and with what I've seen from other people I wouldn't want them to be like other people either.

I don't think that would actually happen and I trust them to keep being themselves no matter what they do, but I understand the apprehension that people have.

Yeah, GB and EZA do have slightly different outlooks on games, but to suggest that members of EZA would become influenced or changed by collaborating with GB is hilariously stupid. These guys do have a back bone and can stick up for themselves you know.

GB are just dudes who like videogames and thus talking about them, they're not some all menacing force that will suck all the fun out of games for Huber and Kyle the minute they interact with them.

People really need to chill out and just realise that Giant Bomb and Easy Allies are just people, and have more than likely already interacted with each other at trade shows in the past.

I know this is a discussion board and all that - but I hate it when this thread gets all fanboyish and denigrates other outlets.

Also, judging Giant Bomb as a whole by an appearance on a KF show is just fantastic. Like, it can/should be interesting hearing opinions that differ from yours rather than just operating in an echo chamber all the time.

It just makes this thread/community appear petty when they're fighting these imaginary battles.

SeanTSC

Yeah, GB and EZA do have slightly different outlooks on games, but to suggest that members of EZA would become influenced or changed by collaborating with GB is hilariously stupid. These guys do have a back bone and can stick up for themselves you know.

GB are just dudes who like videogames and thus talking about them, they're not some all menacing force that will suck all the fun out of games for Huber and Kyle the minute they interact with them.

People really need to chill out and just realise that Giant Bomb and Easy Allies are just people, and have more than likely already interacted with each other at trade shows in the past.

I wouldn't call them "slightly different" myself.

Also, saying that worrying about people being influenced or changed by others is "hilariously stupid" is quite unfair to those worrying about it. People are influenced and changed by others all the time. It's part of being human and not something you should just hand-wave away. It's especially relevant when money and the prospect of chasing bigger audiences is involved.

I'm not worried about it, but calling other people stupid for worrying and being flippant is really not cool.

Liamc723

I wouldn't call them "slightly different" myself.

Also, saying that worrying about people being influenced or changed by others is "hilariously stupid" is quite unfair to those worrying about it. People are influenced and changed by others all the time. It's part of being human and not something you should just hand-wave away. It's especially relevant when money and the prospect of chasing bigger audiences is involved.

I'm not worried about it, but calling other people stupid for worrying and being flippant is really not cool.

It's also really overreacting to think that one of the EZA guys would suddenly be changed or have their outlook on games flipped on its head by appearing on a Giant Bomb live show. Also, Easy Allies aren't exactly struggling for money at the moment.

I just started laughing when Huber said "Let's do it... Star Trek Online!"

That game exists. It's not a $300 million game, but it exists.

I'd love a singleplayer game though.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to post some long rant kind of thing in response to the silly anti GB thing but reading other people expressing my feelings I think I'll save myself the trouble and keep it short. So thanks guys.

So the only thing that still irks me is the stupidity of "can't say a bad thing about GB on gaf". Absolutely not true, same way you definitely also bring bad things about EZA up in here.

You just have to understand that when you enter a discussion that this "is muh opinion" attitude isn't very constructive. It's actually worthless.
Like we all can just spam "muh opinion" under the guise of "but guys!!! diversity!!! freedom of opinions!!!" and clash circle jerk that way.
Or we can make a concerted effort of presenting/expressing our opinions in a way that is conducive to mutual understanding and spawn cool discussions.

Suffice to say when your opinion only boils down to "I hope something doesn't exist only because I personally don't enjoy it", don't be surprised if people call you out on it.

Man my fan mail from EZA was so amazing this month. I got s message from Don who informed my that he named one of the Demons in his Doom snap map level. Showed a screenshot with a Cacodemon with my name on it! He of course then said if I didn't want my name there he'd remove it but I replied back that I'm all in. So hyped for Dons level!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom