• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Or, you know, you can just not like GB. Nothing fanboyish about it. We all like what we like and dislike what we dislike.
The point is you can dislike something and express your dislike in a manner that's approachable and understandable and you know have a discussion on a discussion forum about it and exchange views or you can be baby about it and wish for a world where nothing exists that you don't like and cry about how your opinion is so oppressed by the majority.

:p

wiibomb

I shouldn't be calling out GB when I really haven't checked any content, I'm sorry for that. Does anyone here wants to recomend me something from them? Do they appear on Youtube? I know the site is blocked on my work

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I shouldn't be calling out GB when I really haven't checked any content, I'm sorry for that. Does anyone here wants to recomend me something from them? Do they appear on Youtube? I know the site is blocked on my work

They have a youtube. I mean personally what got me into them was their Persona 4 endurance run and that's after I finished the game myself.
But still that's very specific. I think their whole E3 coverage when they have devs and industry people over and just talk is always cool.
The most recent thing I watched is where they sat down with a programmer from naughty dog and did a tech retrospective on the Uncharted games. But then I have a CS background. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZFtP8LbUYc

They have a youtube. I mean personally what got me into them was their Persona 4 endurance run and that's after I finished the game myself.
But still that's very specific. I think their whole E3 coverage when they have devs and industry people over and just talk is always cool.
The most recent thing I watched is where they sat down with a programmer from naughty dog and did a tech retrospective on the Uncharted games. But then I have a CS background. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZFtP8LbUYc

I don't and I also found this video interesting. Sure a lot of it went over my head but they also talk about some of the game's systems and whatnot. There's plenty of interesting things in it for someone who doesn't understand all of the technical discussion :)

Never saw this one...it's amazing. haha

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I don't and I also found this video interesting. Sure a lot of it went over my head but they also talk about some of the game's systems and whatnot. There's plenty of interesting things in it for someone who doesn't understand all of the technical discussion :)

Always cool to see people feeling this way :D . I'm just too used to glassy-eyed acquaintances/friends when things get too technical. So I'm a bit conscious about bringing it up.

Tankard

Just to make my point straight over the GB conversation that is taking place. I was not even judging the merits of them being good or not, i never even think this kind of conversation about other sites commuties or personalities is healthy. My opinion was expressed over the talk that GB fits in with EZA, in my opinion i can't hardly think of any group that is so different than these, which has nothing to do with the quality of GB, they are just very different imo. If EZA will one day do some collab with those guys, that's up to them, if I don't like it i just won't watch it and life moves on.

I've never ever bothered to really check Giant Bomb, but after seeing one of them on the Kinda Funny podcast I'm not too hyped to check them out.

"I don't care about Shenmue and will never care about it"

And then he whine about how people get exited about a CG trailer because he knows the game will never look like that (FFVII-R). Oh and he also whined about people exited for the Shenmue KS.

I don't know, but that seems very VERY different from EZA, which isn't a bad thing, but I'm not very interested myself in them for what he said there.
He also said a lot of intesting and insightful stuff. He is funny as well. As someone who was extremely excited about the announcements of last years E3 and loved the reactions of the GT crew I can totally see where Gerstmann is coming from. I would love a podcast whit both Jeff and Kyle.

Sevyne

I've never ever bothered to really check Giant Bomb, but after seeing one of them on the Kinda Funny podcast I'm not too hyped to check them out.

"I don't care about Shenmue and will never care about it"

And then he whine about how people get exited about a CG trailer because he knows the game will never look like that (FFVII-R). Oh and he also whined about people exited for the Shenmue KS.

I don't know, but that seems very VERY different from EZA, which isn't a bad thing, but I'm not very interested myself in them for what he said there.

I was never a fan of GB, but I did catch Jeff on the KF podcast and I'm not sure how you took that as "whining". If anything, his explanation and how he handled it were pretty reasonable. It made me more interested in what he had to say (not less).

Disagree with his opinions all you want, but calling it whining because you don't agree is absurd.

I'm also a fan of GB, and I can see that they are older and maybe a little jaded (for reasons I mostly agree with), so the mashup with eza may not be the best. I like the energy of the "new guys in town".
But both teams have their strength. Jeff is very knowlegeable about games and has seen some shit, while the EZA guys are very passionate but their hype level can sometimes get overboard. I would guess that Ben and Blood are big Jeff's fans and hold his opinion as a reviewer in high esteem (even in disagreement). I would love to hear Bloodworth and Jeff chat about the C64.
That said it's good that eza is carving a path on its own, doing something different.

In the next few weeks the whole industry will be in town, so don't freak out if they get invited to another podcast or if they invite someone else in their show.

Lexad

I was never a fan of GB, but I did catch Jeff on the KF podcast and I'm not sure how you took that as "whining". If anything, his explanation and how he handled it were pretty reasonable. It made me more interested in what he had to say (not less).

Disagree with his opinions all you want, but calling it whining because you don't agree is absurd.

Jeff always struck me as a whiner, but I may still be miffed about Twillight Princess review haha

Visceir

Just to make my point straight over the GB conversation that is taking place. I was not even judging the merits of them being good or not, i never even think this kind of conversation about other sites commuties or personalities is healthy. My opinion was expressed over the talk that GB fits in with EZA, in my opinion i can't hardly think of any group that is so different than these, which has nothing to do with the quality of GB, they are just very different imo. If EZA will one day do some collab with those guys, that's up to them, if I don't like it i just won't watch it and life moves on.

Whatever interaction they would have would probably seem very professional and interview-like rather than just "hang out jolly good time", I imagine.

Gaming sites/channels located in SF just seem more friendly with eachother, probably because they often attend the same events and get to hang out/interact more.

I do think it would benefit EZA to mingle with other gaming personalities, but most of EZA seem quite introverted.

Hasney

Whatever interaction they would have would probably seem very professional and interview-like rather than just "hang out jolly good time", I imagine.

Gaming sites/channels located in SF just seem more friendly with eachother, probably because they often attend the same events and get to hang out/interact more.

I do think it would benefit EZA to mingle with other gaming personalities, but most of EZA seem quite introverted.

They are heading to other places during E3 too. Personally, even if (OH THE HORROR) they show up somewhere I don't like, then that's cool and it feels weird that other people just want them to hide away from places they don't pre-approve.

Considering both Jones and Blood have said that people occasionally still ask what happened to GT, more exposure is a damn good thing. Especially during E3 BABY.

Not sure about the professional thing though, GBs streams are nuts. Someone tweeted out someone elses phone number last time and there was anger and a phone being binned as it was now useless. It was so damn funny and there may have been beer involved.

They are heading to other places during E3 too. Personally, even if (OH THE HORROR) they show up somewhere I don't like, then that's cool and it feels weird that other people just want them to hide away from places they don't pre-approve.

Considering both Jones and Blood have said that people occasionally still ask what happened to GT, more exposure is a damn good thing. Especially during E3 BABY.
Yup I want Brandon jones and crew to be basically on media cameo appearance week. Get the word out!

Just look how much one IGN mention helped them out.

I'm also a fan of GB, and I can see that they are older and maybe a little jaded (for reasons I mostly agree with), so the mashup with eza may not be the best. I like the energy of the "new guys in town".
But both teams have their strength. Jeff is very knowlegeable about games and has seen some shit, while the EZA guys are very passionate but their hype level can sometimes get overboard. I would guess that Ben and Blood are big Jeff's fans and hold his opinion as a reviewer in high esteem (even in disagreement). I would love to hear Bloodworth and Jeff chat about the C64.
That said it's good that eza is carving a path on its own, doing something different.

And Giant Bomb is more than just Jeff. He is a bit of a curmudgeon and has very particular gaming tastes these days, and that may come off as abrasive to some, but you don't have to agree with everything he says to enjoy his work. But Giant Bomb also has Drew, who is awesome, Dan, who's a total goober, Vinny, who's the best, Austin who is both passionate and super insightful, etc, etc, etc.

I would like to check out Giant Bomb but last I checked they don't stream their podcast in Video format, I can't listen to audio for more than 5 minute and concentrate on it.

I will maybe check out some of their E3 coverage, but they should put their podcasts in Video format as well if they want to attract new audience.

And I checked Jeff on Kinda Funny and I liked his different opinions on Industry even though my opinions didn't align with his.

Hasney

I would like to check out Giant Bomb but last I checked they don't stream their podcast in Video format, I can't listen to audio for more than 5 minute and concentrate on it.

I will maybe check out some of their E3 coverage, but they should put their podcasts in Video format as well if they want to attract new audience.

And I checked Jeff on Kinda Funny and I liked his different opinions on Industry even though my opinions didn't align with his.

Odd you should say that, they are making it a LIVE video podcast. Not sure if that's going to be a premium feature or not though.

Jeffs an interesting dude to listen to, has great comedy timing and a lot of knowledge on retro stuff. I never expected anyone to reference Off World Interceptor Extreme before with their Mystery Science Theatre cutscenes.

Odd you should say that, they are making it a LIVE video podcast. Not sure if that's going to be a premium feature or not though.

Jeffs an interesting dude to listen to, has great comedy timing and a lot of knowledge on retro stuff. I never expected anyone to reference Off World Interceptor Extreme before with their Mystery Science Theatre cutscenes.

I checked the Giant Bomb Topics on gaf and there was only audio links in it? And I checked their Youtube channel as well and can't find any podcasts on it as well, Do they post the Videos somewhere else?

Hasney

I checked the Giant Bomb Topics on gaf and there was only audio links in it? And I checked their Youtube channel as well and can't find any podcasts on it as well, Do they post the Videos somewhere else?

Ah, they haven't done it yet, it's just something they're going to do in the near future. I wouldn't be shocked if it's an after E3 thing at this point.

Ah, they haven't done it yet, it's just something they're going to do in the near future. I wouldn't be shocked if it's an after E3 thing at this point.

Oh cool. Though I will be mainly watching EZA + Geoff E3 Youtube Live coverage and a Shuhei Interview on Kinda Funny, I will check out Giant Bomb if they do a Live show.

Hasney

Yeah, my plan is to watch EZA's stuff live, then since I'm off work all week, catch up on the GB stuff during the day after. Worked quite well last year.

Should work even better this year since I won't have to sync up two streams since EZA has dat audio now.

SeanTSC

Yeah, I can't do Audio-Only either. I completely check out while trying to. Gotta have video and actually seeing people talking or it just doesn't work for me. I'd probably never gotten into GT and EZA if not for Invisible Walls being a video podcast.

You just lose so much without the facial expressions and body language to go with it, especially with super-emotive people like most of the EZA crew (please never let the mics block your faces again guys!)

Nbz

The live version of the video podcast will be premium only, but the VOD version will be available to everyone on the site and youtube after the fact

Yeah, I can't do Audio-Only either. I completely check out while trying to. Gotta have video and actually seeing people talking or it just doesn't work for me. I'd probably never gotten into GT and EZA if not for Invisible Walls being a video podcast.

You just lose so much without the facial expressions and body language to go with it, especially with super-emotive people like most of the EZA crew (please never let the mics block your faces again guys!)

I thought this problem was unique to me, can't focus on any topic they discuss if its Audio only. I start doing other things in a minute or two if I am listening and completely forget anything they are saying.

SeanTSC

I thought this problem was unique to me, can't focus on any topic they discuss if its Audio only. I start doing other things in a minute or two if I am listening and completely forget anything they are saying.

Definitely not unique to you, I bet there's quite a lot of people here like that. I do the exact same stuff and just zone out hard and can't follow it. So you're in good company and imo it's not a problem at all and likely pretty normal.

Solobbos

If I have the time, I watch the video with the podcast, but the audio casts work perfectly on the go while doing menial tasks or while cycling to work, hobbies etc.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Overwatch cut in line it seems.

Aye thanks. Also have to correct myself I forgot US had a holiday + different timezone warps the perception a bit. So considering that delay probably comes down to 1-2 days at most which isn't all that much.

Edit: Happy birthday Ben!

Myggen

At least some of the EZA guys know some of the GB guys, they've been in the industry too long for that not to be the case. Hell, Jones posted this a few days ago. I hope Jones is a guest on one of GB's E3 live shows. I really love both outlets.

Anyways, hope this year doesn't turn into another GB fan vs. GT/EZA fan shitfest on GAF like last year's E3. That was extremely embarrassing for everyone involved. Let's all be friends!

Odorono

Banned
At least some of the EZA guys know some of the GB guys, they've been in the industry too long for that not to be the case. Hell, Jones posted this a few days ago. I hope Jones is a guest on one of GB's E3 live shows. I really love both outlets.

Anyways, hope this year doesn't turn into another GB fan vs. GT/EZA fan shitfest on GAF like last year's E3. That was extremely embarrassing for everyone involved. Let's all be friends!

People will always be mad at Jeff for not liking things.

Tsosie

I would really love to hear someone from the crew make it onto DLC. I think most of the group would mesh very well with Jeff Cannata since he is upbeat.

And Giant Bomb is more than just Jeff. He is a bit of a curmudgeon and has very particular gaming tastes these days, and that may come off as abrasive to some, but you don't have to agree with everything he says to enjoy his work. But Giant Bomb also has Drew, who is awesome, Dan, who's a total goober, Vinny, who's the best, Austin who is both passionate and super insightful, etc, etc, etc.

They also have two completely different podcasts, so even if you don't like Jeff or Brad, you can still listen to the Beastcast (which is by far the best of the two anyway) and never hear them (though you will miss out on Drew, sadly).

Odorono

Banned
They also have two completely different podcasts, so even if you don't like Jeff or Brad, you can still listen to the Beastcast (which is by far the best of the two anyway) and never hear them (though you will miss out on Drew, sadly).

Alex kinda sucks though so beast can be hard to listen to.

Tankard

I wish Don and Ian had a little more time to help Brandon with cutting/editing stuff, seems like there's a lot on Brandon's plate now and i would hate to have him overworked and stressed.

Hasney

See if Ben or Damiani want to learn and get them on Lynda.com to do some of the basic editing stuff to leave Brandon on the more complex stuff. Good for a resume too!

sora87

I wish Don and Ian had a little more time to help Brandon with cutting/editing stuff, seems like there's a lot on Brandon's plate now and i would hate to have him overworked and stressed.

Yeah, probably might have been better to hire another editor full time first. Although I guess Don or Ian might not have wanted that.

UrbanRats

Even though I stopped following them the last couple of years, I really can't hate on GB.
They put out some of the most amazing content ever produced by videogame journalists/entertainers.

Go watch their Rogue Warrior QuickLook, and tell it isn't amazing stuff.
Or their Kinect videos.

I've just had Ray Winstone yelling "Don't you fackin' dare touch that skip button, you mug!" at me upon loading up the new Huber Syndrome episode. First time I've seen an advert before an Easy Allies video.

These adverts are a good thing for them, right?

I've just had Ray Winstone yelling "Don't you fackin' dare touch that skip button, you mug!" at me upon loading up the new Huber Syndrome episode. First time I've seen an advert before an Easy Allies video.

These adverts are a good thing for them, right?
Probably means something got copyright claimed in the video. There shouldn't be any adverts because they're funded by patreon.

Vinc

So Bosman v Wozniak inspired me to play Tetris for the first time in over a decade. Bosman makes it look so easy, but I can't keep up at level 9, and I'm really struggling with optimizing piece placement. I need to train more. I guess there's no way I'd qualify as a Tetris coach, so I'll stick to being a cheerleader of sorts! :p

Vinc

Probably means something got copyright claimed in the video. There shouldn't be any adverts because they're funded by patreon.

Really? I see ads all the time before their videos, unless they got disabled recently?

I don't mind them though.

wiibomb

I think they are also seeking money from ads. Patreon alone is nice, but not for this amount of people, they are not Jim Fucking Sterling, Son.

I really don't mind ads, in fact at this point and because I know how GT went downhill, I'm more up to the idea of ads, they are a necessary evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom