• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to do all the spider sections for my older brother back in the day as he reacted exactly the same way, he even left the room. I can understand getting freaked with a genuine large spider dropping on you or something, but animated/in-game spiders?...bit of an extreme reaction.

Sorry Ben

It's an easy statement to make if you don't have the phobia. It's a real thing, folks.

llehuty

#pray4Benkun

I honestly don't have a problem with spiders but I noped so hard in that room in
Bloodborne
(From software game) with plenty of them hanging from the ceiling. I had to run past them. How did you deal with it Ben? I can't imagine the reaction from someone with a real phobia to spiders, damn you HD graphics.

#pray4Benkun

I honestly don't have a problem with spiders but I noped so hard in that room in
Bloodborne
(From software game) with plenty of them hanging from the ceiling. I had to run past them. How did you deal with it Ben? I can't imagine the reaction from someone with a real phobia to spiders, damn you HD graphics.

It was rough for sure, but I specifically can't stand tarantulas. Other types of spiders bother me but not nearly to the same degree.

Doc_Drop

It's an easy statement to make if you don't have the phobia. It's a real thing, folks.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be an arse. I have a fear of deep water generally but it hasn't manifested itself outside of actually being in that situation. Apologies for the insensitivity

It's funny because I've had people request that I do VR spider stuff and they don't understand I physically wouldn't be able to do it. I'm all for entertainment, but no.

EDIT: You're not being an arse, Doc. I just don't know what it is about Resident Evil spiders. Watching the videos again, I too think to myself "is it really that bad?" So I definitely get your reaction.

bryanee

I'm with Ben. I've been terrified of spiders for as long as I can remember and I don't know the reasons why. I never had a traumatic experience with one as a kid to give me reason. I live in the UK and spiders aren't even that big on average but nah, I cant deal with them.

I've vowed to never visit Australia on the chance I come face to face with one of the fuckers over there.

lol I was playing Bloodborne for the first time this week and was wondering about Ben as well.

I get pretty physically unsettled by heights and when Souls games put me high up on edges or thin beams/rafters I get an unpleasant physical reaction.

Love how video games can affect a player like that (I can't feel that watching movies).

Maiar_m

It's funny because I've had people request that I do VR spider stuff and they don't understand I physically wouldn't be able to do it. I'm all for entertainment, but no.

EDIT: You're not being an arse, Doc. I just don't know what it is about Resident Evil spiders. Watching the videos again, I too think to myself "is it really that bad?" So I definitely get your reaction.

My girlfriend has the same phobia. She played Pikmin 3 last week, and there's an enemy that's just four legs, some hair, and moves sort of spider-like. She first freaked out like you did on that video, but then got really messed up, couldn't play because of her shaking and breaking down. She asked me to beat the thing while she literally had to step out of the room. I nearly got mad, I mean it turned out to be a kiwi fruit with legs.

She knew she was being crazy about it, she really knew. Fake video game spider, not even a spider to begin with, all of that was obvious to her but she couldn't control it.

All of that to say, in my book you managed your phobia considerably well especially within the stressful nature of the game itself.

Tsosie

Oh man, I love the concept behind these videos. But im not at all interested in Pokemon. I used to watch the TV-show occasionally when it started airing here and have tried atleast one of the Gameboy games. I wish they continue doing these but with different games too.

The reason I think BPP works so well is that Pokémon red/blue is such a classic game that was in many ways a cultural phenomenon (whether you enjoy the game or not) and Brandon is a person that has been playing games for decades and never touched the series. Tie that with Kyle, who is a Pokémon fanatic, as host and I believe that there is something that is special about this show that is not easily replicated by any other game or any other host/player combination.

Hasney

UK ALLIES: I hate to bring in bad news and possibly cost the allies a little funding, but please check the exchange rate between GBP and USD on Thursday to make sure you can still afford your pledge without bringing it down.

Taking a $50 pledge as an example, it's already gone up £5 since Thursday and it doesn't look to be stable yet. Just a heads up for those that don't follow these things as closely as others as it might be a shock come payment day :(

Auctopus

UK ALLIES: I hate to bring in bad news and possibly cost the allies a little funding, but please check the exchange rate between GBP and USD on Thursday to make sure you can still afford your pledge without bringing it down.

Taking a $50 pledge as an example, it's already gone up £5 since Thursday and it doesn't look to be stable yet. Just a heads up for those that don't follow these things as closely as others as it might be a shock come payment day :(

Thanks for the heads up, will hopefully be able to keep my pledge the same.

Remain Campaign should've been pushing the potential of a lower EZA Patreon donation as a negative of leaving the EU.

Doc_Drop

The reason I think BPP works so well is that Pokémon red/blue is such a classic game that was in many ways a cultural phenomenon (whether you enjoy the game or not) and Brandon is a person that has been playing games for decades and never touched the series. Tie that with Kyle, who is a Pokémon fanatic, as host and I believe that there is something that is special about this show that is not easily replicated by any other game or any other host/player combination.

Absolutely, unless someone in the team has a glaring omission from their collection/gaming experience I don't see it happening. It also requires someone to be the opposite, the knowing 'expert' to help guide through. It's a great combination

sora87

#pray4Benkun

Bloodborne

I'm not scared of in-game spiders usually but that section freaked me the fuck out

Budi

Well sure, more people definitely have experienced Pokemon in their life than original Deus Ex, Xcom or Fallout games for example. But still I'd rather hear in depth discussion about those than Pokemon. Those are classic games too. I firmly believe they could continue this series with other games also.

And I hope they do! I'm watching these Pokemon discussions without much experience in the games, not because it's Pokemon but because it's EZA. =) And as they have stated they don't need to go for clicks anymore, so it wouldn't matter that much how popular the game in question would be. And Deus Ex is often regarded as one of the best and even THE best game of all time. There's plenty of things to discuss in RPG:s. While maybe not as much as they can spend on talking about invidual Pokemons. I would be fine with shorter videos too if they changed length for variety.

I think Minecraft is something that not all of the EZA have played either and it's a cultural phenomenon. But again it would be a subject with no interest to me.

Really happy about the upcoming Deus Ex Retro! =)

DMiz

Absolutely, unless someone in the team has a glaring omission from their collection/gaming experience I don't see it happening. It also requires someone to be the opposite, the knowing 'expert' to help guide through. It's a great combination

That's been brought up a few times in various venues (not sure if it was in this thread, as well) how it would be hard to do a similar series unless there were similar, culturally relevant mega-hits that were missed by the crew (with a sherpa also available to guide the way).

This format definitely works, though. It's almost genius in how it advertises the brilliance of the core Pokemon formula, and in some ways, Kyle's commentary highlights just how much the base and metagame have changed - in some ways, for the worse.

Not that it would happen, but Nintendo marketing should actually pay attention to this video series as I feel like there's some real gold here.

Tsosie

Well sure, more people definitely have experienced Pokemon in their life than original Deus Ex, Xcom or Fallout games for example. But still I'd rather hear in depth discussion about those than Pokemon. Those are classic games too. I firmly believe they could continue this series with other games also.

And I hope they do! I'm watching these Pokemon discussions without much experience in the games, not because it's Pokemon but because it's EZA. =) And as they have stated they don't need to go for clicks anymore, so it wouldn't matter that much how popular the game in question would be. And Deus Ex is often regarded as one of the best and even THE best game of all time. There's plenty of things to discuss in RPG:s. While maybe not as much as they can spend on talking about invidual Pokemons. I would be fine with shorter videos too if they changed length for variety.

I think Minecraft is something that not all of the EZA have played either and it's a cultural phenomenon. But again it would be a subject with no interest to me.

Well Budi,I have good news for you. The next/first retrospective that the team is putting together is Deus Ex. It will not be the same as a "Brandon Plays", but it should be a thorough look at the series.

Edit: Also, I do not think Brandon would have the time to play any console/PC game for a "Brandon Plays". One of the reasons that pokemon works is that it is handheld and Brandon can play in short sessions.

Doc_Drop

That's been brought up a few times in various venues (not sure if it was in this thread, as well) how it would be hard to do a similar series unless there were similar, culturally relevant mega-hits that were missed by the crew (with a sherpa also available to guide the way).

This format definitely works, though. It's almost genius in how it advertises the brilliance of the core Pokemon formula, and in some ways, Kyle's commentary highlights just how much the base and metagame have changed - in some ways, for the worse.

Not that it would happen, but Nintendo marketing should actually pay attention to this video series as I feel like there's some real gold here.

Maybe if there had been a member of the team that had never played a Final Fantasy game the structure could be applied as it has that same hook you bring up of a major series that has deviated far from it's origin for better or worse and also has a great deal of obtuse mechanics and interesting story pivots. I'm not aware of any of the crew that hasn't played FF though

Tsosie

Maybe if there had been a member of the team that had never played a Final Fantasy game the structure could be applied as it has that same hook you bring up of a major series that has deviated far from it's origin for better or worse and also has a great deal of obtuse mechanics and interesting story pivots. I'm not aware of any of the crew that hasn't played FF though

I do not think there is a member of EZA that hasn't played at least 1 FF game. I mean Lightning is their unofficial mascot.

Doc_Drop

I do not think there is a member of EZA that hasn't played at least 1 FF game. I mean Lightning is their unofficial mascot.

Yeah I thought as much. I could easily be taken through this sort of thing ha, never played Pokémon, never played Zelda, never really played FF.

llehuty

never played Pokémon, never played Zelda, never really played FF.
oZQXr.gif

Quoting myself from some weeks ago:
And I would be really cool if Brandon did a "Brandon plays" FF7 when he is done with pokemon. There is something about someone trying what is regarded as a classic, visits it for the first time with a fresh perspective.

It also works really well with Bosman and his attention to detail and pokemon expertise.

They could make it into its own show and mix it up with the crew.

______ plays FF7/any JRPG (with Ben)
______ plays Shenmue/Resident Evil (with Huber)
______ plays Bloodborne/another souls game (with Brad/Ian)
______ plays Star Fox (with Don)
______ plays Zelda game (with Damiani)
______ plays the Witness/the witcher 3 (with Bloodworth)

Hasney

Congrats Hasney on the shoutout in the EZA Q&A

So apparently I asked a question on Friday in the comments on the post that went out, it was something that was on my mind as I asked it to Cup of Jones as well before E3. Due to awful news in this country, especially for some of my friends and my girlfriend, I was out all night Friday after being out to see David Cross on Thursday so I don't remember asking that! Glad I did and answer was good though, and thanks for the kind words Ben <3.

Par Score

Yeah, this really sucks, but I'm having to cut a bunch of my $ spending thanks to the £ going down the toilet :c

wiibomb

Bosman Plays A Link to the Past (with Damiani)

I actually like that idea, even if kyle shits all over the game while damiani laughs at bosman

also, I might be on the minority, but I would rather Jones not play Gold/Silver, that game is way too long and I believe pkm sun/moon fits better now with the release so close

Wiggy

I actually like that idea, even if kyle shits all over the game while damiani laughs at bosman

Yeah bosman and damiani are always great together, so that sounds awesome.

also, I might be on the minority, but I would rather Jones not play Gold/Silver, that game is way too long and I believe pkm sun/moon fits better now with the release so close

i like jones going from oldest to newest too, makes for biggest poke shock on how much its changed/stayed the same.

Kasper

What I'd like to see the most is Ian set up some of those Fiasco games that he's been wanting to do. That'd fit in nicely as the replacement for Brandon Plays Pokémon once that ends.

Mushbert

Neo Member
That Kyle reaction when Brandon tells him that the Parasect story comes from something that actually hapens in nature is priceless. Please somebody gif that face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom