• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristax

Neo Member
Been hooked on Tabletop Escapades and it's got me really wanting to get into tabletop gaming. Already ordered a bunch of stuff and hoping to find some online games. There are a couple questions that are driving me nuts though, maybe you all can help.

1. When someone rolls a perception check on some random room or whatever, how does Ben know if they passed or failed? There's no way he could know ahead of time what players may want to roll on. Are perception checks more like a scale? So you may see one thing with a 12 and even more with a 17?

2. When a player decides to attack or do something outside of the quest. An example would be when Huber tried escaping the guards grasp. Ben had Huber roll for this. I'm super confused on how this works. Did Ben actually have stats written out for each guard already and Huber rolled against their strength stat or does Ben as the DM come up with that as he goes? So as soon as Huber said he wanted to try to break free, Ben, in his head, thinks "okay if he rolls a 15 he succeeds"? What if Huber had decided to attack the guard? Does Ben just make up his stats / abilities in that second? I would assume the guard would have to have stats for saving throws, initiative rolls, etc. etc.

3. I also see Ben roll a lot to see if certain things will happen. What's he rolling against? Like if a fire spreads or dies out for example. I don't imagine he has a character sheet for "random fire". Is he just saying in his head "Okay, below 10 it spreads, above 10 it dies out"? Does he do this as a DM check for certain things instead of just saying what happens, kinda like a checks and balances system to make it so the DM doesn't have too much power over the story / players?

Apologies for the questions but I'm really geeking out on all this right now :)

Been hooked on Tabletop Escapades and it's got me really wanting to get into tabletop gaming. Already ordered a bunch of stuff and hoping to find some online games. There are a couple questions that are driving me nuts though, maybe you all can help.

1. When someone rolls a perception check on some random room or whatever, how does Ben know if they passed or failed? There's no way he could know ahead of time what players may want to roll on. Are perception checks more like a scale? So you may see one thing with a 12 and even more with a 17?

2. When a player decides to attack or do something outside of the quest. An example would be when Huber tried escaping the guards grasp. Ben had Huber roll for this. I'm super confused on how this works. Did Ben actually have stats written out for each guard already and Huber rolled against their strength stat or does Ben as the DM come up with that as he goes? So as soon as Huber said he wanted to try to break free, Ben, in his head, thinks "okay if he rolls a 15 he succeeds"? What if Huber had decided to attack the guard? Does Ben just make up his stats / abilities in that second? I would assume the guard would have to have stats for saving throws, initiative rolls, etc. etc.

DM generally make it up as they go from what I understand. The only thing is that a natural 20 almost always means a success and a natural 1 almost always means a failure no matter the difficulty of the task. Otherwise, up to the DM to determine how difficult a task is and what it requires the player to roll. (At least, that's how my DMs have done it and how Ben looks to be doing it)

Par Score

I like that when Ben talks about something it looks like he's playing with his own boobies :)

38xusIt.gif

va-va-va-voom!

Well, chalk another one up for EZA canon.

MrMette

Every week table top gets better and better. Pure gold

I totally agree, I was also going to post that TTE is pure gold :)
I was laughing for a good portion of the episode this week. It was incredible.

I was stupid in never watching TTA before on GT.

sora87

Things I learned from Tabletop Escapades this week -
Don't attempt to drink when something's going down because it will end up all over your laptop. Hahaha oh my god.

Karu

Escapades 13... my gawd.... Huber's Comedy Hour... the reactions to I fight in my Sleep were absolutely priceless. :D :D :D

But did they forget Tyrell there at the end? Didn't quite catch if he just stayed behind. And I'm still convinced Kuo died of de-hydration :p

MrMette

TTE has been consistently great, but I think that the first two town episodes are still the best ones.

Yeah, but I'm sure they will get out of the town eventually and we will have some combat again in the future (I'm sure Ben wants them to get back on track a bit as well).

Although I do love the stuff in the city (and I really loved this last episode), I do think it is time for them to get on with one of the quests (hopefully without a completely destroyed city).

Gutss

Just found this group yesterday and i find them a balance group of gamers, some rpgamers, some nintendo fans, sony fans, and theres bossman to balanced it out, im liking them alot and i think i just found my gamer group to watch.

Maligna

Banned

3. I also see Ben roll a lot to see if certain things will happen. What's he rolling against? Like if a fire spreads or dies out for example. I don't imagine he has a character sheet for "random fire". Is he just saying in his head "Okay, below 10 it spreads, above 10 it dies out"? Does he do this as a DM check for certain things instead of just saying what happens, kinda like a checks and balances system to make it so the DM doesn't have too much power over the story / players?

Usually the DM sets the difficulty in their mind before the roll happens.

Generally for something of average difficulty a ten would pass. Something that is more difficult might require around a 15. Something extremely difficult would be 20+.

Kasper

I have faith in Don. Suddenly, out of the blue, a new batch of episodes will start airing without much fanfare and it'll be even better than the first season!

Chuck

Still without luck
Yes. Generally you can expect it sometime between now and the next 4 hours

I think they've put it up really early like twice (once simultaneously with Tabletop), that's about it. Otherwise it's late wednesday night
Ah okay. I thought that was a mid day Wednesday pod. Guess not

I think the only thing the Allies are really missing is someone who really understands the financial and sales side of the industry. I love them and they are my favorite group to watch but when they start going into topics of how they think games are gonna perform / have performed in the past, they tend to show some weaknesses. Just one example is a couple weeks back they were talking about Rainbow Six Siege and how it seemed the game didn't do well, when in actuality it had an awesome 1st NPD, great legs, and has set records at Ubisoft for player retention. The community is incredibly active.

It's a minor complaint and I know this is sort of random but it's just the one thing that bother me a bit. The allies are a little lacking when it comes to knowledge of industry performance.

Still keep up the good work love you guys!

I think the only thing the Allies are really missing is someone who really understands the financial and sales side of the industry. I love them and they are my favorite group to watch but when they start going into topics of how they think games are gonna perform / have performed in the past, they tend to show some weaknesses. Just one example is a couple weeks back they were talking about Rainbow Six Siege and how it seemed the game didn't do well, when in actuality it had an awesome 1st NPD, great legs, and has set records at Ubisoft for player retention. The community is incredibly active.

It's a minor complaint and I know this is sort of random but it's just the one thing that bother me a bit. The allies are a little lacking when it comes to knowledge of industry performance.

They have corrections for a reason

All podcasts/gaming discussion groups have this issue though. Very few have actual business men or analysts in their circle to give accurate numbers or info. Combine that with the fact you have almost no information provided by the publishers or devs that can be taken as simple marketing snippits...

We can assume all day that -insert game- is doing well or failing but at the end of the day we generally have no idea outside internet musings like gaf and what not unless people are shown the numbers by an unaffiliated party.

Also Tabletop has to be one of the funniest things I've listened too in months. It's just constant chaos for absolutely no reason. Marathoned 3 episodes while playing overwatch and had several moments where I was laughing so hard I got killed in a stupid way. Good stuff.

I guess I'd comment that sales numbers don't mean a whole lot anyhow. They don't factor in budget, and they don't factor in marginal costs. As a far of games, what I really want to know is:

1. did game X do well enough to get a sequel? -- this depends on publisher expectations
2. is developer studio Y doing well enough to keep its doors open? -- this is almost always pure speculation

So while it's fun to talk about on message boards about how X is a massive bomba, and a choice few people can claim expertise on the subject, it seems to me like an art as much as a science.

They have corrections for a reason

I understand that, the group just in general doesn't have a strong idea about how games perform. It's a minor thing really it's just one thing I notice.

All podcasts/gaming discussion groups have this issue though. Very few have actual business men or analysts in their circle to give accurate numbers or info. Combine that with the fact you have almost no information provided by the publishers or devs that can be taken as simple marketing snippits...

We can assume all day that -insert game- is doing well or failing but at the end of the day we generally have no idea outside internet musings like gaf and what not unless people are shown the numbers by an unaffiliated party.

There are tons of charts to follow. If it's the kind of thing you are into you can fully know what games have been successful and what isnt. It's not all hidden. We know the general number Siege launched at globally month 1.

Again this isn't a diss or me bashing EZA it's just the one very slight knock I can have on them is that they don't really know a whole lot about the business side. But that may not be something they are into so that's ok.

It's very true that most gaming media / journalists don't know a whole lot about industry performance though. This is a very common thing. It's the sort of thing where you have to actively be seeking that info on a weekly / monthly basis so I understand

Chuck

Still without luck
Doubtful it's still happening tonight. Weird they don't post anything on Twitter or somewhere and say what's up.

Podcast is up. Barely made it in on Wed PST.

I opened the video within seconds of getting the alert and there were already 5 views. People are fast.

DKHF

In response to Kyle in the Patreon post for the new podcast: An ideal NX announcement segment sounds awesome. NX speculation/discussion even though we know almost nothing about it usually results in a good podcast. Looking forward to listening to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom