• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterAstro

He went with Uncharted 2 at the end. He's a Nintendo Fan. I can relate. Don't know if you watched all the way to the console war discussion but it gives a good dynamic as to why people like him express themselves the way they do.

How can anyone think of SMG2 after that insane Uncharted 2 showing? Even Bosman had his palm dug into his face about it.

Yeah I watched the whole thing. Damiani had a good point with the wheelchair discussion, but he really killed the various moments of the podcast which really ticked me off.

Lexad

Nah, I don't accept that. I understand it but its not cool seeing your friends getting disrespected and honestly that's how I, and I'm sure a lot of supporters of EZA, feel. These guys our are friends. Genuinely I feel that way. I grew up on GT. I've seen every Final Bosman. I care about them. The fact that we are even blessed with this thing that is Easy Allies is STILL incredible and momentous. And to think I'll allow others to just come into this OT, that is the main place of discourse for them here on GAF, and pop off with however they 'feel' in expressions of insults and demeaning assaults of character is unthinkable. That's like me actually going into the Giant Bomb OT and saying how I feel about them with no regard...what makes it worse though is that these are supposedely people who support EZA. Yet, many true colors came out after the Kyle LTTP stuff. Its been little stuff here and their, especially with Ben (who wears his heart on his sleeve in a admirable way and apologizes way too much), but then it went to Kyle in a huge way way, and now to Damiani (someone who I wouldn't even think was prone to that type to insulting behavior yet here we are). Its ridiculous man, utterly. I love GAF more than words but I'm strongly thinking about shifting to the EZa forums for all things EZA. I mean we just had the trial, which was one of the best things that they, nigh any, group of video game podcasters put out, and now today after the podcast its people in the very OT killing the vibe... repeatedly... still. Its upsetting and saddening to a huge extent, honestly man. They work their butts off for the fans... And they read the threads, showing they care enough to interact with us. And through all the praise and adoration they latch onto the negative, which is just human nature, and the FEEL man. They feel those words.

Ugh...so disappointed.

He went with Uncharted 2 at the end. He's a Nintendo Fan. I can relate. Don't know if you watched all the way to the console war discussion but it gives a good dynamic as to why people like him express themselves the way they do.

Don't you see that perpetuates the negativity and draws even more of the trolls out?

How can anyone think of SMG2 after that insane Uncharted 2 showing? Even Bosman had his palm dug into his face about it.

Yeah I watched the whole thing. Damiani had a good point with the wheelchair discussion, but he really killed the various moments of the podcast which really ticked me off.
Opinions...
Don't you see that perpetuates the negativity and draws even more of the trolls out?

I see it to some extent yes. I've refrained a lot but honestly it just got to me tonight after seeing Damiani post what he did.

Aters

I'll just recuse myself from the podcasts going forward since people don't honestly like who I am and think it's an act or something.

Don't go away. You are the best!

You're part of the videogame industry. You should know that taking GAF posts seriously will get you hurt. Think about those game developers and their hard work getting trashed on GAF (sometimes even by me). You just need to know you have fans here. You can never please everyone.

WaterAstro

Opinions...

You can't form opinions if you didn't see the trailer. Damiani's "opinion" is based off playing the game, in which he could have an opinion about that despite Uncharted 2 destroying the GOTY category, but not about SMG2's terrible E3 showing that had zero hype about it from the press.

Damiani, a slightly harsher advise here.

It's disappointing if your response to criticisms, both the terrible ones and the valid ones is a decision to recluse yourself from the podcast.

May be harsh to say this, but people of your position get plenty of shit every day because you all have a fanbase and there'll be praises and shit-talk for every opinion you put out in public. And you've got to find a position to stand for your own individuality, ignore terrible criticism as noise while also filtering in the good-from-the-bad in all the criticisms levied to the Allies for continuous improvement in the spirit of who are you individually, not just you, but everyone.

As a content creator and gaming personality, you must be honest to who you are. You've come this far in your career being who you are, and that is not a mistake. The internet can be a very insensitive place that uses the word "hate" and "fake" casually, but that is how the hyperbole of the internet is.

Nobody can please everyone.

Naythan

I swear some people in this thread are so socially inept, it's ridiculous.

I seriously hope most of the criticisms here aren't taken too much to heart by the Allies because there is a serious problem in this thread with people spewing buzzkill, overly-harsh comments and then getting pissed when people call them out on it. Just because we think your opinion is hot trash doesn't mean we're trying to "force you to be jolly" or rejecting all criticism, it means you're being a jabroni.

That being said, I think it's possible Damiani is trolling. He knows GAF too well to take some of the bullshit in this thread too seriously (I hope).

Chuck

Still without luck
edit: eh, Damiani discussion already happened, I have nothing to add.

I'll just say maybe settle down with the Nintendo love sometimes. :p

Lexad

I mean I have my issues with Brandon Jones, his voice makes me question my masculinity but you don't hear me attack the guy over it.

Its worse if someone just quits doing something because of some posts on the web. Even if the gospel of Nintendo is too strong in Damiani, he gives EZA a different enough perspective that keeps discussions interesting and fun. EZA should be its own voice and not the "validate my own opinions with youtube quality over hype". We have paid shills like rooster teeth with their fallout swag for that.

Lexad

Also, on a slightly jollier note.

I asked Brent a week ago how many people had joined up on the site. Over a 1000! That is seriously awesome.

Moving this thread to community would do wonders on maintaining focused, constructed discussion amongst fans.

I'm surprised it hasn't been moved to community as it's been several months already.

Just listened to the podcast, and you are not alone Jones, I love, LOVE final fantasy VI, but never really got into VII, I played it for like 20 hours back in the day and tried it again when it came out on PC. Not for me.

Man Ben hasn't gotten so good as a DM. Thinking back to the Early TTA days to now. His ability to adjust and improv is so good and his NPCs are pretty entertaining. He's also doing much better keeping the players adventure grounded than late game TTA (that adventure went soooo off the rails)

Neiteio

I had no idea tabletop RPGs are so fun. It's basically improv storytelling with a roll of the dice here and there to determine how certain encounters play out. As someone who was big into theater back in the day, that's all kinds of awesome.

I had no idea tabletop RPGs are so fun. It's basically improv storytelling with a roll of the dice here and there to determine how certain encounters play out. As someone who was big into theater back in the day, that's all kinds of awesome.

As a fellow actor I can say, DnD is AMAZING. I'm running a Star Wars Roleplaying game currently and it's fantastic.

Ben and Co. are nailing it.

Burt

lawl -- I should preface this by saying that this isn't related to or prompted by the conversation going on in the thread -- but Damiani being afraid to incur the wrath of the LoLers was both nonsensical and hilarious. Like, not that there would actually be any repercussions, but not wanting to wade into that Dota 2 vs. LoL conversation (even tangentially) is totally understandable. People get sensitive when they think you insulted their waifus, and the waifu politics are disturbingly strong with LoL. But that was still a hilarious amount of hesitance.

On the same note, Xenoblade Chronicles is a 7. And not a strong Huber-esque enjoyable 7, but a game that should probably be less than a 7 except for the fact that certain technical and artistic aspects that it makes it hard to justify going lower.

^^^ xenoblade as a 7 is fighting words, bro. Love and respect is over, meet me somewhere.

i'm kidding. Mostly.

But seriously, the first half of that game is a 10, the back half is an 8

WarRock

I hope Ben can sucker Kyle into playing 999 (and the rest of Zero Escape!) one of these days, I think he really would love it especially for one reason I cannot spoil!
999 still is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. The final sequence - plot reveals and puzzle - in the true ending route got me in the zone in way games never did before. So perfect.

Has Huber played it? Sure he would go nuts over the narrative.

Burt

^^^ xenoblade as a 7 is fighting words, bro. Love and respect is over, meet me somewhere.

i'm kidding. Mostly.

But seriously, the first half of that game is a 10, the back half is an 8

I'll meet you right here in this thread, BRO. As soon as I get around to finishing up my thesis, which is titled: "Xenoblade Chronicles, aka How to Spend Your Days Staring up the Ass-End of a Not-Dinosaur in Combat, That is, When You're Not Picking Up Collectibles for An Absurd Amount of Garbage-Padding Fetch Quests You Don't Even Have or Running Circles for Useless Relationships or Jamming Buttons for Poorly Explained Button Prompts That Don't Really Have That Much of An Effect or Listening to Your Limp-Souled Protagonist Fret About What To Do When His Contextually-Proven 100% Accurate Future Vision Skills Show Him Someone He Just Met Dying, All While Dressed in Ridiculous Armor Sets That Are As Bad as That Environment Art is Good... Among Other Things (But Bonus Points for Cockney Accents)"

Edit: +1 to Jones for the merits of Bioshock

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'm so happy that the dudes feel comfortable saying "gametrailers" out loud again now that it's in good hands. Was always awkward to hear them dance around it with "the previous place" and whatnot

Okay now back to the podcast :p

I'll meet you right here in this thread, BRO. As soon as I get around to finishing up my thesis, which is titled: "Xenoblade Chronicles, aka How to Spend Your Days Staring up the Ass-End of a Not-Dinosaur in Combat, That is, When You're Not Picking Up Collectibles for An Absurd Amount of Garbage-Padding Fetch Quests You Don't Even Have or Running Circles for Useless Relationships or Jamming Buttons for Poorly Explained Button Prompts That Don't Really Have That Much of An Effect or Listening to Your Limp-Souled Protagonist Fret About What To Do When His Contextually-Proven 100% Accurate Future Vision Skills Show Him Someone He Just Met Dying, All While Dressed in Ridiculous Armor Sets That Are As Bad as That Environment Art is Good... Among Other Things (But Bonus Points for Cockney Accents)"
These complaints are all reasonable, but the exploration is so good. And playing as Melia is fun.

(the light armors are pretty inoffensive. No idea wtf is going on with the rest)

I'll just recuse myself from the podcasts going forward since people don't honestly like who I am and think it's an act or something.

No way man! I don't even know what the haters are talking about! You be you dude! Not only are your on screen appearances great, like in the trial, but I really appreciate the work you do for the stream itself and can't wait for the next Game Sleuth! It was a great feeling to return to (basically) Pop Fiction. It's very "classic GT" which is so far only reflected by Game Sleuth and reviews. I really love the personality driven content, but I'd also like to see more stuff like GS and maybe a return of Top 10s :).

Edit:

I hope Ben can sucker Kyle into playing 999 (and the rest of Zero Escape!) one of these days, I think he really would love it especially for one reason I cannot spoil!

What are you thinking of in particular? You can tell me, I've played 999 (and so have a lot of other people who probably wanna know) :).

sora87

I hope Brad's show about retro games he talked about on the Q&A can materialise sooner than later, it's what I've always wanted them to do.

Burt

These complaints are all reasonable, but the exploration is so good. And playing as Melia is fun.

(the light armors are pretty inoffensive. No idea wtf is going on with the rest)

Yeah, some of them (maybe even most of them) are fine, but I remember seeing a few things, like the jungle gear, and just being... disappointed. Not in a "you didn't meet my high expectations way", but in a "I'd never, ever, ever expect you to go so low" way.

Also, just getting around to the June Q&A, really great stuff. The Jones GoT answer is specifically got me to come post. "Knocked me out of my Star Wars/Harry Potter view of storytelling" is a great descriptor.

and then Ian follows up with the great point that, unlike nearly any other media, games can make you feel guilty. Good stuff.

I can't believe none of those guys know what Freelancer is. How can they work in the videogames industry and not know Freelancers sequel is Star Citizen...the game that got over $100 million in crowd funding?

Oh man...I'm blown away by that one. Wish Ben had been there this week.

Auctopus

What a trash thread.

The argument "The Allies aren't exempt from criticism!" doesn't work when it's straight up insults. Christ, it's like twice a week someone lashes out at the allies for some insignificant reason. Usually because they're too attached to a game and are too socially inept and are only able to convey their feelings in the form of an insult.

The GT > EZA transition and subsequent community growth was a double edged sword. I feel like the GAF side lost its personality entirely.

Visceir

I'm not sure if you mean what I say is becoming illogical and weird or if you're referring to Huber. You're probably right in either case. It honestly doesn't bother me.

I've had to improvise more with TTE because the group has gone so off the rails. So yes, I'm pulling a lot out of my ass. I enjoy that, though. It's a different kind of fun than elaborately planned stories. Rolling with things and seeing what happens is so enjoyable for me, and it's an essential part of DnD.

I do feel like people jump the gun a bit too much. If you're sick of the town, it's coming to an end very soon. If you want more story bits, it's coming very soon. Keep in mind that the ebb and flow will change constantly. Just because you didn't like the direction of a particular episode doesn't mean it's going to be the same for every single one. Even if it feels like it after three or four of them. Sometimes the ship takes awhile to change course, but that's only because this isn't a scripted thing.

EDIT: I hope this post doesn't come across the wrong way. The only reason I'm responding is because I actually really sympathize with a lot of the complaints here. They have merit. The group has just been "dicking around in town" for a long time, and I can appreciate the desire for more focus, logic, and consistency. I just wanted to say where I was coming from and to reiterate that I believe those issues are going to be addressed in the near future.

EDIT: Lore corner is not dead. I've just been busy and neglecting it. Totally on me. I might try and do one tomorrow.

Yeah, just Huber. Adding in side-stuff like the cat races for flavor is great, but it feels like you have to compromise the major plot-lines to adjust to Huber's antics which in return can leave the whole thing full of holes and inconsistent.
The town needing saving from those knights who have kept it safe the whole time

It seems like Huber makes up in his head where the story should go and refuses to play ball and go with the flow even when the others come up with other interesting solutions
rescuing Law and trying to escape
and thus mainly turning it into the Huber-show. He doesn't seem to put much thought into any of it though and just goes with whatever pops into his head so it doesn't turn out very good.

Moving this thread to community would do wonders on maintaining focused, constructed discussion amongst fans.

I'm surprised it hasn't been moved to community as it's been several months already.

Would also probably lower the exposure EZA gets significantly, dunno why you'd want that.

Brad 1.5 playtrough

Beginner, Sword

VMSIV2S.gif

diablogod

Catching up on the thread while listening to Final Fantasy VI - Terra's Theme / Tina's Theme (Orchestrated). The trial was hilarious allies. Keep up the good work, your recent output has been fantastic.

Hasney

Request off the back of the podcast: Damiani and Bosman Bioshock Infinite spoilercast. At least a 30 minute discussion.

Whole podcast has been a fun listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom