• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Got the platinum trophy. 110 hours, level 182.

Had to dip into NG+ because I had missed a legendary armament so I had to blast through to the capital. It’s fun stomping everything in like 30 minutes there. You can FLY when you know exactly where you need to go.

I started my game going for quality as I normally do to check different weapons out. Rocked bloodhound fang and dismounter for awhile and that was great, bleed very strong early game. After awhile though I wanted to try more things out so I respecced into dex/int after I found a moonveil. At the time I didn’t know it was a meta weapon, just looked cool so I paired it with a cold uchigatana for double procs and it carried me the rest of the way. The magic was so much better this game. So many really cool spells and I had a blast with this character. Nothing like shooting a goddamn frozen moon at dudes.

I explored like crazy and I was at like 70 hours before even reaching the capital. This game just kept surprising me at every corner. Everywhere I looked there was something cool.

My favorite boss is a tie between Lord of Blood Mohg and Malenia. Absolutely loved those fights. I also thought Radahn was really cool.

I came into this game hoping for the game of the forever. Open world souls? Sign me up.

Elden Ring was everything I hoped for and more. I don’t think I need to buy anymore video games.

Now it’s time to make fun jolly cooperation characters!

Last edited:

DelireMan7

is level 50 recommended for the general? Or level up more?
Radhan ?

I did it pre nerf around level 60 and he was hitting like a truck. I don't know with the new balance (which kind of "denerfed" him a bit).
Anyway it's not a conventional fight and it probably doable at lvl 50 even if it might be a bit low.

SkylineRKR

Radahn felt he was geared towards level 70 ish. But you can beat him at any level because you can, after the opening phase, just summon and keep far distance if you want.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Finally have my build ready:

Let's see how that bitch Malenia handles this:

Weapon: Blasphemous Blade

Vigor: 56
Mind: 30
Endurance: 32
Strength: 25
Dexterity: 25
Intelligence: 7 (my player is a dumbass)
Faith: 80
Arcane: 12

Talismans:
1. Shard of Alexander - enhances charged attacks
2. Fire Scorpion Charm - raises fire attacks
3. Ritual Sword Talisman - max attack power at max health (goes well with blade)
4. Carian - use less FP

Incantations:
1. Flame, Grant me Strength
2. Golden Vow

Flask of Wonderous Physick
1. FLAME-SHROUDING CRACKED TEAR
2. Cerulean Hidden Tear

With my mimic this should wreck Malenia.
This did indeed wreck Melania. It took 4 tries. That giant scarlet rot attack got me most times, but spamming her with blasphemous had her dead real quick. Blasphemous Blade with mimic is that woman’s kryptonite.

Cyborg

Im doing a dual blood katana build and I saw a video saying: never invest in Arcane. I have 43 points in Arcane cause I thought that scaled with my build

Was I wrong?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Got the platinum trophy. 110 hours, level 182.

Had to dip into NG+ because I had missed a legendary armament so I had to blast through to the capital. It’s fun stomping everything in like 30 minutes there. You can FLY when you know exactly where you need to go.

I started my game going for quality as I normally do to check different weapons out. Rocked bloodhound fang and dismounter for awhile and that was great, bleed very strong early game. After awhile though I wanted to try more things out so I respecced into dex/int after I found a moonveil. At the time I didn’t know it was a meta weapon, just looked cool so I paired it with a cold uchigatana for double procs and it carried me the rest of the way. The magic was so much better this game. So many really cool spells and I had a blast with this character. Nothing like shooting a goddamn frozen moon at dudes.

I explored like crazy and I was at like 70 hours before even reaching the capital. This game just kept surprising me at every corner. Everywhere I looked there was something cool.

My favorite boss is a tie between Lord of Blood Mohg and Malenia. Absolutely loved those fights. I also thought Radahn was really cool.

I came into this game hoping for the game of the forever. Open world souls? Sign me up.

Elden Ring was everything I hoped for and more. I don’t think I need to buy anymore video games.

Now it’s time to make fun jolly cooperation characters!
My only complaint is that they made upgrading weapons rather difficult. You don’t get access to upper tier upgrades until way late into the game. Far far later than a game of this size warrants. It made weapon experimentation rather difficult. Being able to respect your character was a wonderful feature, but it was largely gimped by limiting weapons.

SSfox

Bloodborne rewards you for being 100% offensive putting the health back factor.
There is a ring that give you health back the more offensive you are, just unlock it yesterday. (Don't think i'll use it tho, at least for now)

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
There is a ring that give you health back the more offensive you are, just unlock it yesterday. (Don't think i'll use it tho, at least for now)

You mean drain life? I guess is different from the health back mechanic from Bloodborne. If you hold back the offensive, the health you suppouse to get back just drop.

There are two rings on Elden Ring, one give you life drain and the other recover health when you kill a foe.

SSfox

You mean drain life? I guess is different from the health back mechanic from Bloodborne. If you hold back the offensive, the health you suppouse to get back just drop.

There are two rings on Elden Ring, one give you life drain and the other recover health when you kill a foe.
No drain life, but gives life back when you're very offensive.

Fake

Gold Member
No drain life, but gives life back when you're very offensive.

Are you sure? Life back on Bloodborne is your health bar in scarlet color.

Is life drain on ER, just not 100% per hit, just a chance when you do attacks sometimes you recover health.

Last edited:

SSfox

Are you sure? Life back on Bloodborne is your health bar in scarlet color.

Is life drain on ER, just not 100% per hit, just a chance when you do attacks sometimes you recover health.
Doesn't work exactly like in BB but yes it gives health back the more you attack.

FPqATnHXEAchIWj

Last edited:

skneogaf

Just got to Malenia, I finally remembered to mot use my mimic or any other bell summons.

I've ruined so many boss fights using Mimic as its just far too easy with it.

Once I have fought her enough times that I'm satisfied, if I still haven't beaten her then me and mimic will destroy her like everyone else.

In new game plus I will definitely stop using Bell summons.

Orbital2060

Im doing a dual blood katana build and I saw a video saying: never invest in Arcane. I have 43 points in Arcane cause I thought that scaled with my build

Was I wrong?
That sounds like rubbish unless they have some other build going.

Arcane directly scales with the Blood affinity giving your weapon 1:1 build-up per point put into the stat. My nagakiba is at 110 (last I looked at it) per hit now with the scaling from 51 Arcane. Without the points in arcane it would be 51 lower, or wherever they start counting.

And you want occult affinity for a + 25 uchigatana or nagakiba, for max raw damage. Occult affinity scales best with Arcane.

And then there is the dragon seal which has an S scaling with Arcane.

So keep your Arcane stat and push it to at least 50. In my testing it still scales well beyond that too, for raw weapon damage. Depending on your main weapon scales. Nagakiba, River of Blood, or Morgotts greatsword all scale with Arc. And Dex and Strength. The Uchi does not, thats only Dex and Str.

Id say 50/50 in Dex/Arcane is ideal for first playthrough with dual katanas. And a little bit of strength, maybe 18 Str.

SkylineRKR

Id' say Arcane is OP right now. But the scaling was broken before the update.

I see little reason to go full Faith instead of Arcane. I tried it with 50 fth build (with +9 Erdtree Seal). But you're better off respeccing all that into Arcane and indeed just upgrade the communion seal. You can essentially wield the same weapons, and use the best spells (since the best spells require low faith, and Arcane, like bloodflame blade, rotten breath etc). Besides Blasphemous blade I didn't find a good faith weapon either, and its only 21 fth and scales just as fine with STR/DEX. On top of that you have Rivers of Blood, Nagi etc.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Its beats Holy for sure. I've used Holy a lot, but once you reach Lyendell it gets weak because they're all resistant to holy. I've discarded my Winged Scythe+10 since. I guess its fine to use Holy in catacombs etc, but i found it to be rather useless otherwise. Blood, and also fire, are much better imo.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I missed out on the Tanith quest line..... Didn't do it before I Killed Rykart.

Can you duplicate your save on Xbox? I want to get the madness ending as well as the other ending, but I don't want to do several playthroughs.

i think i got all of mt gelnir done. well, the heros grave i gave up on and i know volcano manor is a dungeon but i don't know how to access that yet. still doing the assassin quests for them. so after that i went to the capital outskirts. fought two tree sentinels :) fought margit again (i think it was him). fought some giants/bears and a draconic tree sentinel. i'm ~80 hours in now but it feels good kicking tree sentinel ass. i remember struggling against the first one.

next i could probably go into the capital but i think i'm going to go to dragonbarrow and clear that next. the reason i went to the capital outskirts was because i knew there was an item that would let me buy smithing stones 3 + 4. i've upgraded my nagakiba to +14 and my wakazashi to +18. also upgraded my arrow + shield to +12. now i need smithing stone 5 + 6's :) i still use my bloodhound fang (+9) but iam now dual wielding the uchigatana +20 and nagakiba +14. the uchigatana has bloody slash and the nagakiba has blood blade.

here is my lvl 102 character now (i switch between looks when i feel like it):

G4yQelm.jpg

nAAm1bB.jpg

HyPPapV.jpg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just got to Malenia, I finally remembered to mot use my mimic or any other bell summons.

I've ruined so many boss fights using Mimic as its just far too easy with it.

Once I have fought her enough times that I'm satisfied, if I still haven't beaten her then me and mimic will destroy her like everyone else.

In new game plus I will definitely stop using Bell summons.
EAKjQeL.gif

Just kidding. Beating the boss with summons can feel a little cheap but dammit I love wrecking them with two of me.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That sounds like rubbish unless they have some other build going.

Arcane directly scales with the Blood affinity giving your weapon 1:1 build-up per point put into the stat. My nagakiba is at 110 (last I looked at it) per hit now with the scaling from 51 Arcane. Without the points in arcane it would be 51 lower, or wherever they start counting.

And you want occult affinity for a + 25 uchigatana or nagakiba, for max raw damage. Occult affinity scales best with Arcane.

And then there is the dragon seal which has an S scaling with Arcane.

So keep your Arcane stat and push it to at least 50. In my testing it still scales well beyond that too, for raw weapon damage. Depending on your main weapon scales. Nagakiba, River of Blood, or Morgotts greatsword all scale with Arc. And Dex and Strength. The Uchi does not, thats only Dex and Str.

Id say 50/50 in Dex/Arcane is ideal for first playthrough with dual katanas. And a little bit of strength, maybe 18 Str.
My understanding is that Arcane builds take a long while to truly become worthwhile and that you’d better be prepared for a lot of pain in the beginning.

hold on…you can summon a mimic of yourself to help you in fights? like the mimic of you that you fight in siofra?

how do you do this? what item do i need?

edit: nvm i googled it lol. i have that item. i havent used it (obviously). ive been using latenna as my spirit a lot recently so havent tried any new ones. ill give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
hold on…you can summon a mimic of yourself to help you in fights? like the mimic of you that you fight in siofra?

how do you do this? what item do i need?

I've been hearing about this OP MIMIC TEAR for weeks and I don't have a fucking clue

After you beat it you can run North then West and get the mimic from a chest if I remember correctly.
yeah. i have it :) never got around to using it.

Lol you caught me mid edit wanting to say I don't google but there you go.
my first edit was wrong. you dont get it from the fight. its after it and in a chest somewhere

Last edited by a moderator:

Orbital2060

M
My understanding is that Arcane builds take a long while to truly become worthwhile and that you’d better be prepared for a lot of pain in the beginning.
Maybe so. I didnt notice while focussing on Dex first ..and 5 levels here and there into Arcane. Then Arc from 30 to 50 towards the end of the game. And that helped a lot with hemorhage build up on the last few bosses like Malenie, and Radagan.

But I would level Dex first. Or Str if you go that way. Also depends on the Arcane scaling on the weapon.

MadPanda

Banned
How to get to that northern part of Caelid, which is guarded by a giant archer with a blue bow? I've seen a path to it but can't find a way to get down to it. I've roamed for quite some time and I give up so if someone could help I'd appreciate it.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
How to get to that northern part of Caelid, which is guarded by a giant archer with a blue bow? I've seen a path to it but can't find a way to get down to it. I've roamed for quite some time and I give up so if someone could help I'd appreciate it.

You have to get to the underground world through the Siofra River Well elevator (It's in east Limgrave: https://www.powerpyx.com/wp-content/uploads/Elden-Ring-Siofra-River-2.jpg). Once you get to the underground "overworld" area where you see spirits and floating lighting balls, there's an elevator at the very north of this area that will take you to a valley in the the northern part of Caelid. Follow the left path in the valley, and you'll run through some exploding stones + stone worms. At the end of the Valley is a clearing where you'll see the bow-wielding giants and a giant pot in the distance next to a colosseum.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Is that where you see a giant pot dude outside of a small castle structure? Never figured out how to get down there either.

Id' say Arcane is OP right now. But the scaling was broken before the update.

I see little reason to go full Faith instead of Arcane. I tried it with 50 fth build (with +9 Erdtree Seal). But you're better off respeccing all that into Arcane and indeed just upgrade the communion seal. You can essentially wield the same weapons, and use the best spells (since the best spells require low faith, and Arcane, like bloodflame blade, rotten breath etc). Besides Blasphemous blade I didn't find a good faith weapon either, and its only 21 fth and scales just as fine with STR/DEX. On top of that you have Rivers of Blood, Nagi etc.
What about the Coded Sword? I've been using it with 60 fth, but I rely on magic for bosses and most tough enemies. Coded Sword looks (and sounds) cool, and seems to be doing fine amount of damage to me. But I'm feeling the game gets a bit too easy in this late stage, so I'm not seeing the need to respec or care too much about overpowering my character even more.

I'm talking about pve only though. Not sure about optimizing for pvp.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
This game is so big. Some of it is the open world and things being spread out, but without checking I really feel like there are many more NPCs and quest lines than other FROM souls games. I think I'm currently at +20 hours what it took me to platinum DS3/Bloodborne and still have a lot of content left to explore.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Were you using a guide?

Not bugged, just really well hidden, and definitely not where you're expect them to be.

They can be anywhere on the plateau, not just near the tower.
No, it can be bugged.
I had this yesterday, only the tortoise closest to the tower appeared and the other two locations were empty. Had to reload the area to make them spawn.

MadPanda

Banned
You have to get to the underground world through the Siofra River Well elevator (It's in east Limgrave: https://www.powerpyx.com/wp-content/uploads/Elden-Ring-Siofra-River-2.jpg). Once you get to the underground "overworld" area where you see spirits and floating lighting balls, there's an elevator at the very north of this area that will take you to a valley in the the northern part of Caelid. Follow the left path in the valley, and you'll run through some exploding stones + stone worms. At the end of the Valley is a clearing where you'll see the bow-wielding giants and a giant pot in the distance next to a colosseum.

Thanks. I got to that lift but for some reason I didn't use it immediately as I had something else to do and later on didn't care to go back as I killed both bosses there. Is it even worth the time?

Is that where you see a giant pot dude outside of a small castle structure? Never figured out how to get down there either.

I honestly don't remember any pot dudes, only the archer.

Zug

M

Maybe so. I didnt notice while focussing on Dex first ..and 5 levels here and there into Arcane. Then Arc from 30 to 50 towards the end of the game. And that helped a lot with hemorhage build up on the last few bosses like Malenie, and Radagan.

But I would level Dex first. Or Str if you go that way. Also depends on the Arcane scaling on the weapon.
Arcane is broken OP right now, for melee user it's a better option than anything else by far, and even for faith users, arcane is a better stat to raise than actual faith because of that broken seal.
DEX/ARC Dual bleed katanas is the stereotypical OP build right now, but for fun I went from 60 STR/50 FAI to 40 STR/40 ARC/15 FAI. My melee damage skyrocketed with my freaking Greatsword proccing bleeds every second hit, my faith spells hit much harder than before with the dragon seal. In Pvp it's 100% bleed builds everywhere, ridiculous and boring.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've been hearing about this OP MIMIC TEAR for weeks and I don't have a fucking clue
It was nerfed before I started using it. Even now it’s still arguably the best summon if your actual build is good. Mine still wrecks everyone. You get me and my mimic doing dual blasphemous blade special attacks bosses die.

Those gaol fights are much harder for me since they can’t be used.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It was nerfed before I started using it. Even now it’s still arguably the best summon if your actual build is good. Mine still wrecks everyone. You get me and my mimic doing dual blasphemous blade special attacks bosses die.

Those gaol fights are much harder for me since they can’t be used.
Mine one shotted me in NG+ because I forgot to dismantle. First thing it did was parry me and the follow up finished me off.
I got the Platinum today at around 90 hours and level 183. Getting the Frenzy ending took me the longest because I kept jumping to my death. That whole area is creepy, cool, and frustrating.
01-BEC41-F-0738-4623-83-B3-6516-D1-E13-B89.jpg

ssringo

Gold Member
Thanks. I got to that lift but for some reason I didn't use it immediately as I had something else to do and later on didn't care to go back as I killed both bosses there. Is it even worth the time?
Depends. There's a little "quest" to beat 3 invaders without resting/dying. Can be a nice challenge depending on what gets summoned (seems like it's randomly picked from other player builds). The reward is a good equip load increasing talisman.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member

I honestly don't remember any pot dudes, only the archer.
If you discovered the elevator, you should have a grace right beside it you can fast travel to. The path from the elevator to the giant pot is very short. Like 20 seconds on horseback.

I'd say it's worth it because if you defeat 3 "duelists" in front of the pot, you get a really good talisman that SEVERELY increases your maximum equipment load. Super handy if you're trying to stay in medium equipment load with the best armor / shields in the game.

Top Bottom