• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

I just feel like this game is designed for summons and I keep trying to go against the grain by avoiding summons and it's making some of these boss fights feel like a slog... Kind of annoying how these bosses have the ability to leap across the screen and hit you with endless combos. I feel like bosses are given this insane reach, and constant combo ability to compensate for the ability to bring in summons. Attempting to solo means slowly chipping away and getting a hit or two in after constantly rolling around or blocking and hoping they didn't destroy your stamina bar.
Yea, if you're a Souls veteran/master, I can see why you'd want to solo bosses but for me...fuck that. Give me all the summons, lol.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I just feel like this game is designed for summons and I keep trying to go against the grain by avoiding summons and it's making some of these boss fights feel like a slog... Kind of annoying how these bosses have the ability to leap across the screen and hit you with endless combos. I feel like bosses are given this insane reach, and constant combo ability to compensate for the ability to bring in summons. Attempting to solo means slowly chipping away and getting a hit or two in after constantly rolling around or blocking and hoping they didn't destroy your stamina bar.
Hey I haven't summoned since almost the beginning and I haven't felt the need after 100 hours of playtime.

Some of the fights against two bosses at once can be quite difficult tho. In those cases I recommend focusing on one of them, and try to position them in a way so the one you want to kill first is always between you and the other one, so the other one can't fuck you up while you fight the other dude.

Ditto. I saw that tip in a YouTube video, definitely helps when battles get chaotic and you're scrolling through items.

I simultaneously love and hate the item selection, there have been at least 2 instances where I'm in battle and things are getting crazy, I go to heal myself and end up opening my telescope.... I can only blame myself, lol.
I know the pain. I've wasted sooo many mana flasks thinking they were the healing ones.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Plantoid

Started another playthrough ( i have a Ng+ dual katanas character already)

Bleed is just so overpowered.. I'm certain it's going to be nerfed

For my second playthrough im playing with double halberds + jump talisman, not even close to bleed, but still effective, the jump attack while holding double halberds is very effective in breaking poise and deals a ton of DMG

I find some incantations and spells lacking DMG, also some weapons need scaling balance

Since I'm not working since January I've put more than 100hours in the game already

kevm3

I just went and watched a DS 1 video and it pretty much confirmed that the boss fights are significantly different in this game:

DS1, bosses aren't ultra fast with 5 to 7 hit combos that can blow through your stamina. You can usually gauge where they are trying to hit you, whereas it seems as if every boss has dhalsim arms and their weapons reach much further than you expect. They also don't have autotracking jump moves where they can spin and aim towards you in midair. Looking at ornstein and smough, if the boss jumped a certain direction, he just went in that direction and let you dodge him. If they swung in a certain direction, they just swung in that direction. they didn't automatically rotate to hit you.

This pretty much eliminates strategically positioning yourself and makes combat turn into something where you just have to hit the dodge button at the right time or maybe try to parry or just have a super strong shield to where their attack bounces off and you counter attack. Summons are there to be hit sponges and absorb some of those endless combos.

On the other hand:
This is the fight that really annoyed me last night. Imagine doing this boss fight without a summon. The misbegotten is super fast, has long range with nonstop combos. not fun when playing with a melee build. Best I've done is using a big shield and hopefully one of his attacks bounce off and then I get a hit or two in

GermanZepp

This right here. It's not fun lining up the waypoint in the compass then going to the map and then trying to scroll through the map keeping that trajectory. I have to zoom in also which makes scrolling so much slower.
Agreed with this. This kinda things do not affect the experience there are practical stuff. And i would like more pictures on the green markers

GermanZepp

I just went and watched a DS 1 video and it pretty much confirmed that the boss fights are significantly different in this game:

DS1, bosses aren't ultra fast with 5 to 7 hit combos that can blow through your stamina. You can usually gauge where they are trying to hit you, whereas it seems as if every boss has dhalsim arms and their weapons reach much further than you expect. They also don't have autotracking jump moves where they can spin and aim towards you in midair. Looking at ornstein and smough, if the boss jumped a certain direction, he just went in that direction and let you dodge him. If they swung in a certain direction, they just swung in that direction. they didn't automatically rotate to hit you.

This pretty much eliminates strategically positioning yourself and makes combat turn into something where you just have to hit the dodge button at the right time or maybe try to parry or just have a super strong shield to where their attack bounces off and you counter attack. Summons are there to be hit sponges and absorb some of those endless combos.

On the other hand:
This is the fight that really annoyed me last night. Imagine doing this boss fight without a summon. The misbegotten is super fast, has long range with nonstop combos. not fun when playing with a melee build. Best I've done is using a big shield and hopefully one of his attacks bounce off and then I get a hit or two in

I read yesterday that Miyazaki said:

“Since this work and the production of Sekiro were in parallel, there was not much direct feedback from Sekiro,” he says. “However, since I directed both, it is certain that they influenced each other.”

I'm convinced that Margit has some Genichiro of Ashina animation, the back jump whem he throws magic. Bosses In Sekiro are fast.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Man why am I trapped in these god damned fucking mines

LOL these mines have good stuff, smithing stones especially. I was just in the Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel last night and it was very lucrative, plus if you haven't gone in there yet heads-up - the boss drops a thing that lets you buy the first two levels of smithing stone, which is very helpful.

Also these were the first enemies, including that boss, which were resistant to piercing that I've come across. I switched to that big brick hammer and it was night and day.

LOL these mines have good stuff, smithing stones especially. I was just in the Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel last night and it was very lucrative, plus if you haven't gone in there yet heads-up - the boss drops a thing that lets you buy the first two levels of smithing stone, which is very helpful.

Also these were the first enemies, including that boss, which were resistant to piercing that I've come across. I switched to that big brick hammer and it was night and day.
Jumping strong attack with the morning star. None of those fools stood a chance, including the boss. So damn satisfying, I was jumping down whole flights of stairs and just smashing the shit out of everything in sight, lol.

NickFire

As someone who sucks at Soulsborne games and usually gives up halfway through, is this going to be the game that wins me over as a Miyazaki fanatic?

I have a huge level of admiration for the games and can't stop watching videos on them all, I just never have the time to dedicate to "gitting gud" is all.

Have been fighting the urge to buy this all week.
Tough choice, cause if you stop fighting your current urge a new one will take its place (to stop going to work/ school / whatever - it is that addicting).

No hyperbole either. I wouldn't even try these games previously because of the notorious difficulty. And this game is extremely difficult IMO. But you have so many ways to build your character to your play style that overcoming the obstacles is the best experience in years (minimum).

Keihart

i think i missed the mine with the third smithing stones, i found the 1. 2 and 4 and some somber stone mines, but no 3, what the fuck.

Swift_Star

Banned
The fight against some of the erdtree avatars suck. It’s not fun to have to take account of pits where you’ll die if you fall, getting stuck on geometry and the guardians, minions or whatever. This is not good design. Ffs, get on your grip, From.

DonJorginho

Banned
By the way does the game run any better now on PS5? Just in case I buy it, unsure whether to play it on PS5, XSX or backward compatibility mode on the PS4 SKU

NickFire

By the way does the game run any better now on PS5? Just in case I buy it, unsure whether to play it on PS5, XSX or backward compatibility mode on the PS4 SKU
I have not noticed a single issue on PS5, but I do play in quality mode because I am a graphics whore for pretty games with expansive views.

Most of us are enthusiasts here so I give everyone a pass for this PS4 sku via backwards compatibility mode. But anyone suggesting that blasphemy in my own home will be getting the Jazzy Jeff treatment while I role play as Uncle Phil.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Got my first ending last night. Pretty happy to discover that with my exploration, I'm only missing out on a couple items for the spell/incantation, talisman, and weapon achievements and will be fairly quick to go get them minus one I have to go into ng+ for. What an absolutely wonderful game. I'm looking forward to going back in and finding out what's required for other endings and I will now use ALL the guides to find out what I've missed for specific storylines/quests, hidden bosses etc.

Reactions: Isa

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The fight against some of the erdtree avatars suck. It’s not fun to have to take account of pits where you’ll die if you fall, getting stuck on geometry and the guardians, minions or whatever. This is not good design. Ffs, get on your grip, From.
Just don't fall dude, lmao.

ssringo

Gold Member
Question for PC players though I suppose any platform would be similar.

Does the game just not register inputs at times? Not speaking about combat (specifically) but like riding around trying to loot something and sometimes my dude just will not pick the flower or grab the item off a corpse without half a dozen button spam.

It doesn't happen all the time so I'm struggling to decide if it's the game being goofy, my PC being goofy (though i maintain 60+ fps most times) or my XBox controller (which is only a month old).

TintoConCasera

Is level 40 and a halberd+3 good enough to start the academy?
Go check it out. You are greeted by one of the most common enemies but also one of the most annoying, so you should be able to decide very quickly if you are ready or not.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm not even going to NG+, just clearing out the map. All over Fextralife now and I can't believe how many things have I missed, I thought I was super thorough exploring and here I am in the 5th or 6th cave I haven't found earlier.

The game is absolutely GIGANTIC. All of Dark Souls combined would be so much smaller and that's just places of interest and "legacy dungeons" let alone large swaths of open terrain.

Can't believe Miyazaki said it's about "40 hrs long" in that one interview. Like how man.

Some of the bosses are truly FROM finest work. Mainly the big and agile ones are just amazing fights. The 2nd encounter with Margit aka Margott IMO takes the cake. Absolutely incredible.

Also, I'm now 100% convinced respec fan and proponent. Yes the tension of committing to a build from BB is lost but it's simply worth losing for how much you gain gameplay-wise.

I played 1/3 of the game as Faith/STR, then went full INT magic after Raya Lucaria onwards and switched again to a 85 DEX monster for the final 2 areas. Totally different playstyles, different strats, different loadout.
Different FRESH feeling gameplay all the way.

Spirit Ashes are sick and yes bosses are designed to make use of them and that's a GOOD thing. My favorites: Kaiden (loved him in CNT) or Warhawk for most of Limgrave and Lurnia, later on - Rollo (very tanky poise breaker kinda like Kaiden but heavier) but my no. 1 is my girls Nightmaiden and Swordstress.
+10 Mimic is super OP, I don't like it but getting through the final few bosses without him would be insane hard as pure DEX.

I ended up really under-utilizing Ashes of War, can't say much about their balance other than some feel really weak while others OP like crazy, I plan to explore more in NG+.

Some things I didn't like:

I think the introduction of roundtable hold was rather anticlimactic, I was really hoping for it to be a place you actually find in the game world.
Some of the teleport traps felt like a kick in the nuts and certain death...

Also, as much as it breaks my heart to say the final boss 2nd stage was just poor after the mind-blowing first with Radagon. WTF was that?
After all those incredible bosses earlier and FROM's history of games grand finales, I just couldn't believe it.

It's all forgiven tho, looking at the whole package this is simply one of the greatest games ever made. Easy GOTY 10/10, deserving all praise it got.

Life after Elden Ring begins now and I hope we'll know more about the Armored Core project real soon.

WoodyStare

Defeated Morgott on my first try. He’s tricky but not as bad as I was expecting after hearing he’s the one of the hardest bosses in the game. Godrick’s Axe has been my main weapon for several hours now and I can’t see myself changing it anytime soon, it’s so powerful once leveled up. Might start leveling up faith/intelligence to try other weapons.

TintoConCasera

Getting stuck on the geometry isn’t fun.
Yeah, the area to fight those avatars is usually filled with jars and other shit. I advise you to lure them to somewhere open, or let them destroy all the jars before actually engaging them.

Filth

Does the game just not register inputs at times? Not speaking about combat (specifically) but like riding around trying to loot something and sometimes my dude just will not pick the flower or grab the item off a corpse without half a dozen button spam.

It doesn't happen all the time so I'm struggling to decide if it's the game being goofy, my PC being goofy (though i maintain 60+ fps most times) or my XBox controller (which is only a month old).
My guy while fighting a boss on horseback would randomly dismount without even being hit. It was so fucking annoying yesterday holy shit.

The_hunter

As someone who sucks at Soulsborne games and usually gives up halfway through, is this going to be the game that wins me over as a Miyazaki fanatic?

I have a huge level of admiration for the games and can't stop watching videos on them all, I just never have the time to dedicate to "gitting gud" is all.

Have been fighting the urge to buy this all week.
I've found the boss fights are generally the hardest in the series, but everything is so spread out compared to past souls games, that most of the time is spent chilling exploring the landspace, instead of that tense souls level design of the past. There's a lot more freedom in how to approach your character build, and encounters. For example a shield is almost mandatory to play Demon's Souls, in Elden ring you don't even need to use one. You can always summon players to do bosses, and most bosses you can summon ashes.

Last edited:
47 hours in - I still haven’t gone to beat radahan or whatever. This game is truly one of the best games of all time. Playing PS5 version on PS5 have had minimal issues (for me).

I have to say it is one of, if not the most gorgeous game to look at and I don’t know how anyone can say otherwise. Sure it’s not technically on some crazy level but I have not seen this level of artistry in a video game ever.

Only played blood borne and demon souls before this but this is far more beautiful than demon souls

I just run away when shit goes sideways. they stop aggroing and go back to their spot, but they don't heal.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
How do you get to the island to the left of the stormville castle and the other island in Limgrave.

The_hunter

47 hours in - I still haven’t gone to beat radahan or whatever. This game is truly one of the best games of all time. Playing PS5 version on PS5 have had minimal issues (for me).

I have to say it is one of, if not the most gorgeous game to look at and I don’t know how anyone can say otherwise. Sure it’s not technically on some crazy level but I have not seen this level of artistry in a video game ever.

Only played blood borne and demon souls before this but this is far more beautiful than demon souls
I love this game. 50 hours here, ps4pro version on ps5, the game looks ugly in limgrave and altus plateu since there's no grass, and the textures are blurry, so I might switch to ps5 version. The mist and fog is the best I've ever seen in a game, they managed to simulate the aerial perspective in such an artistic way it's incredible https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_perspective. The art is incredible all around.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
btw this may sound controversial but mounted combat is really awesome and super OP once you get a hang of it. The trick is to get a good feel of how long is the R2 charge, mind the stamina, dash in, hit and run. Makes most open field enemies unable to react in time.

The_hunter

I would say get the ps4 version, you get the ps5 version for free. The game runs the same as it did at launch unfortunately.

NickFire

How do you get to the island to the left of the stormville castle and the other island in Limgrave.
I don't have the map in front of me, but one island I reached from the beach. You jump down to the beach on horse (onto the windy thing that makes horse fly), and head right. There is a cave, and after you beat the boss there are two options. Skip the fast portal and go through the part of the cave with enemies that still stand after beating the boss. It leads to another entrance on the island with the dragon church. Hope that helps.

Sakura

Yeah they do drop good stuff.
But I was exploring and got trapped inside one of the mines (you can't fast travel out). I thought I had to beat the boss to leave, because I missed a passage that leads out, so I was fighting this stupid boss over and over with my shitty sword that just bounces right off him.

SCB3

You can still 2 hand it. Plus you do more damage that way. You don’t need the strength requirements to 2 hand weapons. The game will give you a warning. If it says you can 2 hand it then you’re good to go. I’m nearing the end of game and I’ve never equipped a shield. In fact I’m dual wielding 2 colossal swords.
I forgot you could do that and it'd ignore the requirement, wouldn't think I was a Souls vet lol

Anyway, yea this is OP as fuck, however the Crucible Knight in the Evergoal kicked me back down pretty quick, he's a boss that seems a little OP imo, he is so aggressive and relentless that finding a time to attack or heal is proving to be a difficult time (and I know theres a fight with 2 of them at some point)

Bartski

Gold Member
Yeah they do drop good stuff.
But I was exploring and got trapped inside one of the mines (you can't fast travel out). I thought I had to beat the boss to leave, because I missed a passage that leads out, so I was fighting this stupid boss over and over with my shitty sword that just bounces right off him.
same and I also didn't know how it works back then (that you can warp out only when outside) and died like 20 times trying to get somewhere through the mine.

near

Gold Member
Holy fuck finally beat this boss after 3 days of getting completely ruined. This was easily the hardest boss I've fought in any soulsborne without a doubt. It also turns out that this wasn't even the final boss, so I could've skipped it, felt like end-game but there is still a portion of the map I haven't unlocked and I'm 110 hours deep now. Game of the forever.

Swift_Star

Banned
Defeated the three jar knights using a cheese method because they're impossible otherwise. I really don't understand what From is thinking with this game. There's no consistency. The game is too easy or too hard, to boderline impossible sometimes. They need to polish the games further and stop making enemies hard for the sake of being hard. The great jar knights are not fair. They feel like they have 99 in all stats, unlimited stamina and fp. fuck this shit.

mansoor1980

Defeated the three jar knights using a cheese method because they're impossible otherwise. I really don't understand what From is thinking with this game. There's no consistency. The game is too easy or too hard, to boderline impossible sometimes. They need to polish the games further and stop making enemies hard for the sake of being hard. The great jar knights are not fair. They feel like they have 99 in all stats, unlimited stamina and fp. fuck this shit.
AGREED..............the difficulty is all over the place in this , too hard or too easy , the open world is the reason for this me thinks

MastAndo

I wish I could have anticipated liking this game so much. My attempts to enjoy Souls games in the past have all failed within a few hours, but I was compelled to keep going with this one for whatever reason. 60 hours later, I'm down to the home stretch (I think), and looking to go back to take out all the bosses when I'm done with the main story. I'll admit, I wouldn't hate if the game did some sort of tracking for you, but I get that it would be out of place. Still, it makes the task seem daunting and I would have been writing things down from the start had I known the game would grab me like this.

SCB3

Wtf, I think the game has locked me out of Upgrading my Summons, I have the right item but cannot give it to the right person, they just say the same thing over and over

Fools idol

Banned
Just wrapped up my second playthrough, now to respec for Ng+ and do the platinum trophy runs.

This game is fucking insanely good. It makes everything I have played before it seem amateur in scope and tied togetherness. Very few games have held my attention for 3 consecutive playthrough at 40+ hours a pop.

Whatever From works on next, I feel like they will struggle to meet the insane bar they have raised on their own.. this game will be talked about, idolised and immitated for years to come.

V4skunk

Banned

No problem here but i have problems with horse combat with input lag / attack commands being registered too easily leading to you attacking when you didnt want it.

Just wrapped up my second playthrough, now to respec for Ng+ and do the platinum trophy runs.

This game is fucking insanely good. It makes everything I have played before it seem amateur in scope and tied togetherness. Very few games have held my attention for 3 consecutive playthrough at 40+ hours a pop.

Whatever From works on next, I feel like they will struggle to meet the insane bar they have raised on their own.. this game will be talked about, idolised and immitated for years to come.
😂

Swift_Star

Banned

I'm actually inclined to believe discourse about this game will change over time. There's too many problems with it.

Top Bottom