• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Elden Ring contains story and lore as dense as its gameplay. Here's a beginner's guide (for the first dozen hours or so) to the setting of the Lands Between, what exactly a Tarnished is, and why all those jerks keep calling you maidenless after the Shattering of the Elden Ring.

Between Godrick the Golden, the Golden Order, the Greater Will, and sites of grace, there are a lot of terms, characters, and ideas in Elden Ring that can be difficult to keep straight in your head. Melina, Marika, Godfrey and Godwyn all have their parts to play, so we're here to help. Keep in mind this isn't exhaustive, but kind of a table setting for the world of Elden Ring, so there's plenty more to discover for yourself! But here's a bit of the story and lore explained for Elden Ring.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Okay, they really, really need to nerf the Mimic Tear Summon.

I just beat
Godfrey, Morgott, Fell Twins
first time, and didn’t get hit by any of them.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I've been putting that work in

Nokron, Noskella, Eternal Nameless City, Lake of Rot

all cleared. All of Limgrave, Liurnia and Caelid canvassed from top to bottom though I found it amusing that yesterday I went back to Limgrave for nostalgia's sake and ended up finding a boss battle (with incantation reward for my Confessor!) a gesture and an ash of war which I'd somehow missed lol. As I've said before, if you think you've cleared a region I promise you you haven't.

Finally going into Atlus Plateau, Mt. Gelmir. Found my way to Volcano Manor, wonder how certain decisions will impact questlines/endings, I'm doing everything blind as God intended, exciting stuff. Ended up getting
Boc the seamster killed
be careful with your decisions, Visions of sadness...

kikkis

Did you manage to try this out?
I had to use my Greatsword and ride the horse. I stayed by his injured foot. His fire got me a couple times, but I’d imagine if I had a +25 with blood that I could have used that. My Greatsword was maxed out, so I was able to take more damage with that.
I will try the double seppuku or something else once I have my internet back on Saturday i guess.

Keihart

This is absolutely fucking awesome. If you love castlevania give this a listen……
Also I haven’t come across a whip in my play through and I’m fairly late in the game…. Now I want one.

There is a whip at the south of limgrave, thats the one im using, maybe you missed it or is the one zone you didn't explore.
There doesn't seem to be much whip stuff in general and is compatible with very frew ashes.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
It shows an affinity for an ashes of war (Wild Strikes) when I go to apply it to my +3 Lordsworn's Greatsword. If I choose heavy, it becomes a heavy greatsword. Does anyone know if it will have the same attack speed and attacks? Or does it literally transform into something else?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
That death blighted fire exploit is so annoying. Was playing pvp and I won and some how got summoned in the same player and they switched that on for instant kill. So dumb.

Aenima

It shows an affinity for an ashes of war (Wild Strikes) when I go to apply it to my +3 Lordsworn's Greatsword. If I choose heavy, it becomes a heavy greatsword. Does anyone know if it will have the same attack speed and attacks? Or does it literally transform into something else?
When you choose the Heavy affinity for a weapon, the power of the weapon just scalles based on your character STR. It will have the same speed, all those affinity things do is change the stats and grade of the weapon scalling. So depending of your character build you can choose an affinity that does more damage.

slade

Beat Godric today. Are his weapons worth dropping the weapons I already have? I'm using the Bloodhound Fang I got from Forlorn Evergaol and a standard Uchigatana +4 that I started with.

What a fucking game. It's taking the number 1 spot in my top 100 games list. Beat every boss except 4 and just finished Rannis quest. Beat the hardest ones and just have some stragglers. Going to finish them off Monday after work.

As a long time souls fan this game the cherry on the top.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Defeated the three jar knights using a cheese method because they're impossible otherwise. I really don't understand what From is thinking with this game. There's no consistency. The game is too easy or too hard, to boderline impossible sometimes. They need to polish the games further and stop making enemies hard for the sake of being hard. The great jar knights are not fair. They feel like they have 99 in all stats, unlimited stamina and fp. fuck this shit.
I thought the same but about the 2 tree sentinels together. One is difficult enough with all its pissy jumping around but 2 of the fuckers at the same time I thought was just lazy doing that.

jadefire66

I'm having a lot of fun on my second character. Dual katana DEX just like the first, but this time I'm not rushing the main story so much. I'm going around the early areas doing most content for smithing stones and stuff. Level 40-50 or so. I just killed 4 world bosses in Caelid one after another (O'Neill + the ones in the south). I swear the deathbird was harder than the big dragon, and didn't even give 1/3 of the runes he gave lol. Gonna wanna upgrade my weapons a bit more before I go to Radahn. This area is awesome. I also got the Beast Roar art of war after giving 4 deathroot to Gurranq and it's very useful because it's a fast ranged attack.

FunkMiller

I love Caelid. I went there at level 50 ish and managed fine. It has very cool areas, like the area around the church or Sellia village. Some castles to conquer as well, and the divine tower, which I decided to get the fuck out of for now. Caelid reminds me of Bloodborne.

There‘s a later area and a boss that’s so Bloodborne, it hurts. You’ll know it when you get there!

Soodanim

Regarding a Liurnia NPC:
Does anyone know the blind girl’s third location? After you give her the second Shabriri Grape. I didn’t do it until after I finished the rest of the area, so I need to know whether she’s still in Liurnia or if she has moved on to where I’ve already moved onto.

oh wtf so I posted yesterday asking the difference between bloody finger and recusant fingers

they still seem to do the exact same thing for me, only that using 3 bloody fingers can trigger what appears to be a significant quest

FYI
Ah so thats what that npc dude was alluding too. I did one and invaded. Got out and nothing.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Regarding a Liurnia NPC:
Does anyone know the blind girl’s third location? After you give her the second Shabriri Grape. I didn’t do it until after I finished the rest of the area, so I need to know whether she’s still in Liurnia or if she has moved on to where I’ve already moved onto.
Foot of the broken down bridge that leads to the lakes, eastern side

FunkMiller

I don't understand the cry to nerf an optional item that is designed to help you out.

Just don't use if it you think it's OP? I don't get it.

…because the game is designed to provide a level of challenge, and having stuff that is too OP rather destroys that challenge. Same goes for bosses with attacks that hit too hard… ruins the challenge. There’s a fine line to walk in terms of providing players with equipment that makes them more powerful and able to take on bosses… and having stuff that just breaks the game completely. Mimic Tear is not a hard thing to find or upgrade once you’re in late game.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Watching Dr. Disrespect play this and it's hilarious. He rage quit on the first day, came back to it 3 days later and seems to be hooked now. He is 7 hours in and when he rests, he waits till morning cause he still thinks that's how you heal up and get your flasks. lol

BadBurger

Watching Dr. Disrespect play this and it's hilarious. He rage quit on the first day, came back to it 3 days later and seems to be hooked now. He is 7 hours in and when he rests, he waits till morning cause he still thinks that's how you heal up and get your flasks. lol

I love it. Reminds me of myself bumbling through this, my first Soulsborne game, just winging it and getting 99% of my knowledge from GAF. This game is like Breath of the Wild for adults, turned up to eleven.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I love it. Reminds me of myself bumbling through this, my first Soulsborne game, just winging it and getting 99% of my knowledge from GAF. This game is like Breath of the Wild for adults, turned up to eleven.

They are definitely the best playthroughs to watch. I love watching veterans cause you can see how excited they are but seeing a newbie is watching someone go through what you went through your first time. That was me back in '09 with Demon's Souls. I quit playing it for a couple weeks cause of the difficulty. I came back to it eventually and fell in love.

Putrid tree spirit is another badly design boss. Why are you insisting on giving your bosses attacks thst can one shot is easily, From? This is NOT fun.
Level up your character a bit so that they can take at least one hit at full HP. Additionally, try to mix your Flask of Wonderous Physick with the protective bubble tear that let's you get hit once with massively reduced damage negation.

Some tips:
  • Don't use the lock on camera. It'll spazz out on such a huge boss and get you killed. This is especially true for such a narrow area.
  • Immediately get in close and hug one of the boss' sides. I mean literally cling to the side. Creating distance between the player and this boss is one of the worst things you can do - a lot of its attacks will close gaps quickly and hone in on you. Thankfully, its turn radius is shit.
  • Just spam jump attacks and charged R2s while hugging the side. If you want to play it safe, wait till after the boss attacks, dodge-roll if you need to, and whittle away. With any luck, you'll open up the boss to a critical.
  • At around half health, the boss will start glowing. Get the hell out of there - an AOE will come pretty soon. This is good moment to pop the Flask of Wonderous Physick if you haven't already done so. Afterwards, immediately run back to one of the sides of the boss. Rinse and repeat.

Ok Meteorite of Astel is just plain fucking dumb. Fight was going as badly as it possibly could have and then …. Fuck it.

giphy.gif

SCB3

…because the game is designed to provide a level of challenge, and having stuff that is too OP rather destroys that challenge. Same goes for bosses with attacks that hit too hard… ruins the challenge. There’s a fine line to walk in terms of providing players with equipment that makes them more powerful and able to take on bosses… and having stuff that just breaks the game completely. Mimic Tear is not a hard thing to find or upgrade once you’re in late game.
So dont use it? Theres your challenge, I don't mind some OP stuff for players, this is the Souls Equivalent of an Easy mode imo, same with Summoning, who cares if its not affecting y9ou

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So dont use it? Theres your challenge, I don't mind some OP stuff for players, this is the Souls Equivalent of an Easy mode imo, same with Summoning, who cares if its not affecting y9ou

Exactly. Its also arguably needed to give offline players a chance. Because let's face it, the traditional "quick fix" in Souls' games for unbeatable bosses is summon a co-op buddy.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

That doesn't mean they need to nerf stuff. Souls games always have broken builds/items, it's part of the fun, some players like being as OP as possible and wrecking the game, others run around naked with a 2H club. If mimic tear and magic make the game too easy for you, don't use them. What's next, nerf bleed, nerf night/fire sword, nerf jump+strong attack?

I'll hold my hands up and say I've claimed items like night/fire sword "will get nerfed" but I'm not championing it.

Last edited:

Graciaus

I said I wouldn't replay this game but I tried two games from my backlog and it didn't end well. The itch to try a new build is real. I mean you don't need to fully explore all over again...

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm only gonna ask this, there is some must have\cool to see summon in limgrave before i leave the zone? i have jellyfish, useless caster, useless 4 soldiers, 2 kinda useful skeleton soldier and the wolves.

Don't telle me where, just if there is one or not.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Oh, that door. THAT dungeon. Ha ha. I did that way too early and it knocked the wind out of me, should be fine if you're nearly done with Limgrave.
I'm level 41 with an halberd+3 and that pointy sword +8 from rogier.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm level 41 with an halberd+3 and that pointy sword +8 from rogier.

Yeah I think you'll be fine, the main enemy in that place is your camera. I went in before like 20 with a +1 longsword and it was rough.

DanEON

Well, I had decided to explore Liurnia before doing Stormveil Castle, but I think I got too strong lol. Murdered Godrick on my first try. Didn't even use a heal Flask 😅

Fools idol

Banned
so I was wandering around at the edge of the map and fell down some cliffs edge using Cotton and theres.... a fucking entire village of those little pot dudes just chilling the fuck out. It's called Jar Burg.

This game man. So much hidden stuff you can miss even after 2 full runs.

Last edited:

AV

so I was wandering around at the edge of the map and fell down some cliffs edge using Cotton and theres.... a fucking entire village of those little pot dudes just chilling the fuck out. It's called Jar Burg.

This game man. So much hidden stuff you can miss even after 2 full runs.

Wait 'til you see what the jar ashes are called.

Soodanim

fuck i forgot that, thanks boss.
I went out of my way to get my FP up to 100 to summon that particular Spirit Ash, and I've said it before: it's like I'm his weak NPC summon. Level him up a few times and he's brutal. He's the big gun I save for rare occasions. He has taken out bosses that have destroyed me almost entirely by himself. I've had another Spirit Ash since that costs more but isn't even nearly as good. You'll see.

As for nerfs, I think the quickest way for them to nerf anything is to nerf the "Infinite FP" ingredient by making it a shorter time, because that's the source of nearly all the OP-ness people talk about. The balance of the powerful spells is having a limit, so of course the lack of a limit makes them god-tier.

Last edited:

BadBurger

As I continue to do good, the lambs are no longer afraid of me. Bug, or has anyone else noticed this?

Top Bottom