• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
66 hours in and I'm really enjoying this game, open-world +soulsborne gameplay is like Chocolate and Peanut butter.
peanut butter autonomy GIF by For Everest

Yeah I’m not sure I can even go back to the other games.

drotahorror

Yeah, I think a lot of it is my fault and down to how I play open world games versus souls games.

What I absolutely adore about traditional souls games is the compact, rubix cube design. This has this, but only in certain moments. I find galloping around a lake looking for a map fragment.....dull. That sort of drudgery seems to undermine what I love about the traditional formula. Really does feel like two different games bundled into one.

Anyway, I'll stop moaning. Will still be my GOTY.
Map fragments are on your big map though. They look like little totems or something.

Keihart

I've been playing in offline mode for most of my playthrough of around 50 hours and last night I decided to go online for a bit.

I was exploring a new area and it was filled with messages from other players which honestly took away from the thrill of exploration for me. When I am exploring a building/castle, I like to look around the corners and over ledges to find places that I can jump down to, but being online all of these places were lit up with 3 or 4 messages and I could tell without reading them there was something to be found there. There were a couple that pointed to a couple of false walls which was cool, but again it's not me finding them so it felt a bit like cheating, or better yet, I was cheating myself.
90% if nessages are bait honestly, it's kind of a meme at this point.
even funnier when you see messages hinting at a hidded path below but its full of pools of blood.
"Praise the pickle! but hole"
"oh you don't have the right"

Swift_Star

Banned
I swear to god Caelid is the worst area I've ever seen in any FROM game in terms of constant dread. Probably worse than even Blighttown.

I am extremely on edge literally every second. The music doesn't help either, holy crap.
I don’t get why everyone is finding that area so hard, to me it was a cakewalk, maybe I was over leveled? I don’t know. The secret is using Torrent. Don’t go though that area on foot. Scarlet Rot will destroy you.

I don’t get why everyone is finding that area so hard, to me it was a cakewalk, maybe I was over leveled? I don’t know. The secret is using Torrent. Don’t go though that area on foot. Scarlet Rot will destroy you.
for me, it's not really so hard per se as much as it is just miserable

I'm level 95 and I still hate exploring Caelid. it's probably my least explored area.

the territory literally looks like it has cancer. I just feel dread when I'm there. such a dramatic shift from places like Lingrad, Liurna, etc.

it's ugly, the creatures look horrifying, the music is bleak, the atmosphere is nightmareish

I'm sure some people love the area but it just makes me sad and depressed

speaking of Liurna I found an entire area of Liurna I somehow missed. I found a tower that gives you madness. the whole area is pretty fucking awesome, no idea how madness works. my guy just loses his shit once the bar builds up and loses a chunk of health.

slight spoiler, but I also thought it was awesome that in Liurna you can...
instead of going through the gates near the academy, you can just go through them without activating them. you're in like a different dimension than you would normally be. I found a merchant in this alternative version of the map that has great shit, and a tree with a seed

also I'm level 95 and haven't even really touched the Belfrey gates/towers or whatever. it's revealed on my map but I haven't explored it.

also anyone know where to find Hyetta? last I talked to her was by the lake side grace right past the castle. haven''t found her since.

also I STILL can't find Boc the tailor ever since he left that same place.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
speaking of Liurna I found an entire area of Liurna I somehow missed. I found a tower that gives you madness. the whole area is pretty fucking awesome, no idea how madness works. my guy just loses his shit once the bar builds up and loses a chunk of health.

instead of going through the gates near the academy, you can just go through them without activating them. you're in like a different dimension than you would normally be. I found a merchant in this alternative version of the map that has great shit, and a tree with a seed

also I'm level 95 and haven't even really touched the Belfrey gates/towers or whatever. it's revealed on my map but I haven't touched it.

also anyone know where to find Hyetta? last I talked to her was by the lake side grace right past the castle. haven''t found her since.

have you played Bloodborne? Madness is the same as Frenzy in that game, a hated status.

have you played Bloodborne? Madness is the same as Frenzy in that game, a hated status.
I have not.

I don't even get how it procs, I think that is what confuses me the most. poison, rot, frostbite, etc. its easy to figure out what is inflicting it. with madness I'm not sure what's causing it. not sure if there is some sort of AoE madness that effects me once I get into a range or something, if that makes sense

I'll be chilling on my horse then my dude starts to lose his shit.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I have not.

I don't even get how it procs, I think that is what confuses me the most. poison, rot, frostbite, etc. its easy to figure out what is inflicting it. with madness I'm not sure what's causing it. not sure if there is some sort of AoE madness that effects me once I get into a range or something, if that makes sense

I'll be chilling on my horse then my dude starts to lose his shit.
Unless enemies attack you with weapons that cause this, then, yeah, just like frenzy, if you’re in the range of what is causing, it builds up over time.

V4skunk

Banned
Is there really 44 hours worth of stuff to do in Limgrave? I think I had that place turned over in around 10 hours, not counting Stormveil. I started my 2nd playthrough last night, with the intention of 100% the game, so I'm sure I'll discover lots of things I hadn't before.
There is easily 40 hours of stuff to do in Limgrave with out a guide.
Using guides is filter like. I always do blind run for my first playthrough.

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member

also I'm level 95 and haven't even really touched the Belfrey gates/towers or whatever. it's revealed on my map but I haven't explored it.

I assumed that was a LOTR reference as that tower that gives you madness when lit up looked like the eye of Sauron.

The_hunter

Going to post again, at certain points of the game there are npcs that ask you to serve them, does this lock you out of certain parts of the game, or can you do them all?

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Going to post again, at certain points of the game there are npcs that ask you to serve them, does this lock you out of certain parts of the game, or can you do them all?
I didn't seem to get locked out of anything in the ~three instances of that so far.

the quests are so cryptic it is honestly hard to tell, but I haven't noticed being locked out of anything.

I've agreed to serve everyone who has offered, without issues

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Proud father moment. My 16 year old daughter who sticks to games like Fortnite mostly. She did play a lot of BoTW and loved it. Anyway, she played her first Souls game. She was having problems starting with the warrior with dual scimitars. Even the wolves in the first cave were too much. I had her restart as a samurai. She just beat her first boss ever. I recorded the killing blow and I could tell she was super happy about it. Gave her a hug. I think I created another Souls lover.

Filth

Can someone help me kill baleful spirit :(. Im lvl 76 and getting my ass handed to me. Also there arent any summons signs where i am. Plz plz

the coop before a boss battle stopped working for me. It says something like can't connect or something. Why?
Also, I'm lv 100 (dex build) two swords and I really need some [3] stones to upgrade my dual swords (+7 and +8) to maximum (I think is +15). Where to I find?
And for a bit of late game spoiler...

Why the f the protagonist is burning the huge tree? I didn't want that.

njean777

So I am playing this game pretty slowly and am at Godrick, and holy hell is he hard. I am a strength build and upgraded my axe to 6 so far and have been exploring. Am I on the right path? I feel a little lost and just want to make sure I am going the right way I guess lol. I finished fort Haight and didn't really get anything out of it. Also Most of my map is still foggy is there a way to know where the reveal stones are or do I just need to find them by exploring?

the coop before a boss battle stopped working for me. It says something like can't connect or something. Why?
Also, I'm lv 100 (dex build) two swords and I really need some [3] stones to upgrade my dual swords (+7 and +8) to maximum (I think is +15). Where to I find?
And for a bit of late game spoiler...

Why the f the protagonist is burning the huge tree? I didn't want that.
Somber or regular stones?

look up the corresponding bells, they let you purchase an infinite amount

shubik

man the academy is really kicking my ass. After what felt like 50 tries I was finally able to beat the red wolf. I´m level 44 with a +9 spear and I still get wrecked by those magic guards. Am I under-leveled or do I simply suck? :D

edit. the map also desperately needs some quality of life improvements. I can't find any option where I can delete all the blue-way points I put on the map. It is incredibly exhausting to search the whole map for those little dots.

Last edited:

The_hunter

man the academy is really kicking my ass. After what felt like 50 tries I was finally able to beat the red wolf. I´m level 44 with a +9 spear and I still get wrecked by those magic guards. Am I under-leveled or do I simply suck? :D
Red wolf was definitely hard, it gets easier after that. This was my experience with a lot of the encounters at the academy,
Run Away GIF

A lot of the encounter are brutal, like a room full of wizards, or a pack of mana stealing zombies.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Great more shit to worry about with my build :pie_lcry:

Nah don't sweat, by the time you're worrying about having too much VIG/END you'll have unlocked respecs and have a few to burn. Probably.

Orbital2060

edit. the map also desperately needs some quality of life improvements. I can't find any option where I can delete all the blue-way points I put on the map. It is incredibly exhausting to search the whole map for those little dots.
The red wolf is one of the matches where bloody slash works really well. I think it took a 1/4 or 1/3 off the wolf HP for each hit. The whole fight was over in less than a minute, on third attempt.

Fools idol

Banned

Hah what the hell.

I beat the wolf on my first attempt, he was a complete push over. I guess my bandit build with the focus on blood blade is too good. I offed him in around 7 hits, the last being a bleed burst. I was level 30.

Bleed is very strong in this game.

Top Bottom